Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Players and Their Choice

1235»

Comments

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442
    1. People campaigning for their favorite game.
    2. People caring enough to actually go to MMORPG.com to vote.
    3. Not every MMO is listed in the choices.
    4. Not everyone visits MMORPG.com.
    5. A leading choice gets bumped up by those psychologically primed to vote for the leader to ensure their vote counts for something amounting to a win so they can feel good about themselves.

You left out "Game advertised for its players to vote and even offered them benefits.

AKA, what the "winner" did.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by zellmer
    1. People campaigning for their favorite game.
    2. People caring enough to actually go to MMORPG.com to vote.
    3. Not every MMO is listed in the choices.
    4. Not everyone visits MMORPG.com.
    5. A leading choice gets bumped up by those psychologically primed to vote for the leader to ensure their vote counts for something amounting to a win so they can feel good about themselves.

You left out "Game advertised for its players to vote and even offered them benefits.

AKA, what the "winner" did.

Noted in red, what benefits? I play Pirate101. Care to share? I voted for Pirate101. Did we who voted get something extra in-game? Please inform me.. I need to go get it right away!!

On that note. If you are going to talk smack, at least make it truthful and accurate. Nothing worse than a ill-informed poster making comments on a game he or she doesnt know anything about. Other than the hear say drone buzzing from the crowd of naysayers who only say nay because they are unhappy!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by evolver1972

I'm not surprised.  There are many people on this site who are incredibly negatively vocal about GW2.  Why would it be surprising to anyone that GW2 wouldn't win for Players' Choice?  Considering the amount of negativity I've seen about it here, I'm surprised it even got 2nd.

Either way, who really cares?  I'm having fun playing both GW2 and TSW (now that it's B2P).  Having fun with whatever game(s) you are playing is really all that matters.

So, congrats to Pirate 101 and congrats to all the GW2 naysayers.  You got your wish.  Enjoy it.  I'll continue to enjoy the game in spite of you.

^ Exactly this ^   I would have been surprised actually if GW2 won anything from this site.  When people hate on a game here, they usually out shine the passion of the fans.  Just my observation so yeh again, no surprise with this.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Can we get this column back to talking about games, rather then pyscho analyzing the community?

Actually... the fact that you apparently cannot find anything more interesting to write about then other forum users probably explains why P101 won more then any other reason.

LOL... Ok, you get a +1 from me.

Who was it that said "Small minds talk about people; mediocre minds talk about events; great minds talk about ideas."?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick Originally posted by Vesavius Can we get this column back to talking about games, rather then pyscho analyzing the community? Actually... the fact that you apparently cannot find anything more interesting to write about then other forum users probably explains why P101 won more then any other reason.
     LOL... Ok, you get a +1 from me.
      Who was it that said "Small minds talk about people; mediocre minds talk about events; great minds talk about ideas."?    

Eleanor Roosevelt.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I actually trust what comes out of MMORPG more than most. I thought it hilarious Pirate 101 won, and kudos to their fanbase an community for winning it.

Good article writen here.

As a side note, I just watched a new anime series that just ended. It's about gamers, and it really shines a light on all of us, and I think it should be mandatory viewing for us all. 'Sword Art Online' is it's name, please check it out, definitely worth the time invested for our community.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
       Tried Pirate 101 today...color me not impressed....Just has too much of a little kiddy feel to me......Maybe its more of an indictment of how bad 2012 was for MMOs than anything.......After all of its hype, Im surprised GW2 didn't blow everything out of the water but alot seemed to sour on it pretty quick.
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I'm 100% sure people voted for pirates101 because it was the funny choice because all the other games to pick from are either garbage because they're terrible MMOs or they're garbage because they're a huge disappointment. GW2 doesn't deserve any rewards. It's a game that rewards being anti-social and seems to go out of it's way to make sure people never want to interact with each other and makes it a waste of time to try and talk to people. It's an online game for crying out loud. They may as well just get rid of the chat features and save bandwidth
  • tatflametatflame Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Darklotus79

To me it really makes no diffrence who won. Although I bet if we were to have our own private vote without it being advertised on the games website GW2 would win. All this probably did was get a bunch of kids to sign up to mmorpg.com to vote. 90% of them wont even participate in the mmorpg.com community.  So honestly the win was a fluke if you ask me.

Think about it..The Pirate101 community got together and voted for the game they like to play , but how many of them actually played the other games on the list? My guess would be probably not very many.  So the award was won on a blind eye.

You all may think this is stupid....So I post a challenge !  10 people who actually play pirates101 and have tried the other games. Comment stating so and comment that you think pirates101 deserved the win. That you would have chose it over any other game. I bet not even 5 will respond..for 2 reasons..one being more than half of the people that voted for P101 wont even come back to mmorpg.com. 

Like I said I dont care who won , but that doesnt mean I  can tell when a win is a fluke!

LOL. I have tried other games, and  they hold my attention for all of an hour. They just don't appeal to me. The longest time I lasted in any other online game other than KI games (yes, I am a W101 player of 3 years, and a player of P101 since beta and love every bit of both) was a week in LoTRO. I feel P101 deserved to win, because it is a wonderful game, unlike any other out there. The visuals are beautiful. The npc are witty and funny. It appeals to both young and old.  I can play with my children without worrying about it scaring my 4 year old, or my boys seeing half naked females running around.  There is never a time with nothing to do. There is grind in every game, but in P101 it isnt constant. I dont have to dish out hundreds of dollars to play. My fingers dont get sore from constant key smashing.  And I actually get the chance to strategize and think instead of  constant bash, slash. and burn.  This was a players choice award. And it was simply my choice.  On a side note, I have been a member of mmorpg for a year. Just because people don't post, doesnt mean we dont frequent the site and read articles.  Does that count as an exceptance to your challenge? :)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

really getting sick of this whole "teardown" and "crab" mentality crap...what about the "fanboy" mentality or the mentality that the only people that should voice their opinion are those with a positive one?

How about the mentality that doesnt seem capable of understanding that a person could be invested in a game, say, SWTOR. Want it to be successful, want it to be fun, to them it isnt, and they want to say WHY. That not all complaints are to want the game to fail, but be BETTER which it cant unless their opinion is heard and acted upon.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by jtcgs

really getting sick of this whole "teardown" and "crab" mentality crap...what about the "fanboy" mentality or the mentality that the only people that should voice their opinion are those with a positive one?

How about the mentality that doesnt seem capable of understanding that a person could be invested in a game, say, SWTOR. Want it to be successful, want it to be fun, to them it isnt, and they want to say WHY. That not all complaints are to want the game to fail, but be BETTER which it cant unless their opinion is heard and acted upon.

Good points. The reality is that the most bitter foes of just about anything (in different walks of life) are those True Believers who have some how managed to lose their Faith. 

If one looks at it, its mainly those who see some value to some game, or such, who would invest the time and effort to attempt to make it better.  Other wise, they would have simply left.

The others are as I stated, the disillusioned who because of unrealistic expectations and/or projections have discovered that their current focus isn't what they wished it to be.

PS I really like that quote from Jefferson. Its too bad that the country didn't pay heed to his warning, and has long since been taken over by corporate interests.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

We're starting to look like sports-fanatics.

"My game is better than yours"

Just as with sports, i don't have a game. I enjoy watching ice hockey for example, but i'm not invested in any particular team. I just enjoy a game for what it is, and whoever wins makes no difference to me. I'm terribly bored with football (or as some people call it, soccer) though and i have no idea how anyone can possibly enjoy watching it, but they do. So... i ignore football and leave those who like it to their own.

It would be interesting to see how many people there are that scream hard and loud about how bad a particular sport is, and how much that has affected that sport... An uneducated guess would be "close to 0 changes made". The mention of "generation me" above could be quite accurate.

"If something doesn't fit me i'll scream until i get what i want." much like a small child.

And while we're on sports. It's quite similar to a game in many ways. They both have pretty solid foundations set from the beginning. Change a rule somewhere and it ripples through the entirety of it. There are a vast ammount of systems nestled together, depending on each other. There is no simple fix for any problem. Even changes that may look extremely simple can have devastating effects if not properly through through and executed with pin-point precision.

Call me what you want, but i feel sorry for game developers these days.

Also, as we're probably all gamers here in one form or another, here's a piece of cliché advice: Don't shit where you eat.

• cactusflintheadcactusflinthead Member Posts: 7

I actually find this rather amusing. Getting out the vote is cheating? Guess what folks, political campaigns are built upon this idea. If you sit on the sidelines and expect your candidate to win by default because it or they are so "cool" "avant-garde" or whatever other flowery adjectives you might come up with is no way to win an election. You can call it a people's choice or a poll or whatever. If the election has no meaning to you then feel free to avoid it entirely. Unlike this poll the one we had in November has real consequences irl. Your vote matters. if the makers of a game did not see fit to notify its participants that there was an poll that is their problem. 

Full disclosure, I did not vote in the poll. I joined up because I wanted to comment on a review of  P101. I am really not ready to invest the time necessary to play the game. I don't have a rooting interest one way or the other. However, seeing people claiming that "people actually registered just to vote" are somehow less entitled to an opinion is laughable. That getting out that vote is unfair or somehow cheating is downright hilarious. And no I don't think the world is worse than it ever was. It has been pretty bad and pretty good all at the same time for longer than we have been walking upright. 

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

"games media awards" controversy

+

google

=

These awards

Seriously,...

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Human society in general has become a cespool of negativity and evil. I fear for humanity.

Become?

There are religions based around this concept dating back thousands of years.

Don't fear for humanity. Have sympathy with humanity.

We've always been this way.

• IcyWizIcyWiz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Coman

<<Not allowing newer accounts to participate. >>

1. MMORPG.com is a business, i.e., in this to make money. 

2. They need site visitors to convince adversiters to pay to place ads here.

3. A good way to get site visitors is to get people to sign up to be site members.

4. A good way to get new site members is to hold "popularity contests" such as Player's Choice, etc. and require people to be members to vote.

5. If new members are restricted from voting, they probably won't join if their whole purpose of going to the website was to vote in the popularity contest.

Example: The reason I signed up here in December 2011 was to enter a contest to win something (I can't even remember what any more). If I'd been told "New members can't enter any contests or vote in any polls for the first few days/weeks/months" I wouldn't have joined. 

Site members = site visits = adversiters = a site for you to visit.

Here's a little script:

MMORPG.com "Hey, adversiters, we have a bajillion site members who visit on average a bajillion times a day."  

ADVERSITERS: "Oh yeah? Kewl, we're gonna give you some money to show our ads." 

MMORPG.com: "Kewl, we're gonna have enough money to issue paychecks this month." 

One month later, after a contest:

MMORPG.com: "Hey, adversiters, we increased the number of site members by 5% last month, and our number of site visits went up 10%."

ADVERTISERS: "Oh yeah? Kewl, we're gonna keep advertising with you."

MMORPG.com: "Kewl, paychecks this month too!"

###

• IcyWizIcyWiz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    How did the studio cheat? I'm honestly curious as to what KI did that anyone thinks is cheating. MMORPG.com seemed pretty firm on not giving incentives for votes.