Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Socially Connected on a New Level

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by bossalinie

Is it me, or did I just notice a lot of people ashamed of their hobbie?

I think there are a lot of closet gamers out there based off some reactions?

I find it best to surround myself with people I can be totally open with, and so all my family/friends/co-workers know that I am a huge gamer and I'm unashamed of it. To deny it would be to deny a part of me :)

If people judge off of something so silly, then I don't give them the time of day because of their lack of empathy.

On topic, this is one of those features I find neat but I could definitely pass it up. I just don't use facebook much these days for anything really. I get more relevant information from Linkedin lol, and not only job info but personal stuff too.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71
    Why do these game companies continually think we need this kind of out of game social crap?I dont need to tell my "Facebook" friends what Im doing in a game that more than likely none of them care about.I get really annoyed by all the stupid invitatiosn to FB Games and other oddball notifications we get in FB.I dont think my friends and family need this as another one.I just want a game that is concerned with only one thing and thats me and my entertainment as well as of course everyone who is actually playing the game with me.This FB and Twitter Integration is pointless garbage.

• ukAlex08ukAlex08 Member CommonPosts: 11
    This is hilarious. They aren't making anyone use the feature. It's Optional!!! Good god some people might appreciate it! Just because you don't like it doesnt mean no one else will. Pull your head out your own arse holes and realise there are more opinions than your own.
  • bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I guess this is there way of spreading the word through facebook and twitter users hoping to maybe catch some people not in the MMO loop. Either I don't use the facebook option or I just create an alternate account so my friends and family don't have to see my habits.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    They are doing this so that people who have no life can post from within the game that they have no life and at least post pictures of the life they pretend to have.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by ukAlex08
    This is hilarious. They aren't making anyone use the feature. It's Optional!!! Good god some people might appreciate it! Just because you don't like it doesnt mean no one else will. Pull your head out your own arse holes and realise there are more opinions than your own.

Thats the thing, though.  Will it be optional?  Or will we have to create a FB or twitter acount just to play?  It boggles my mind why people are seemingly so dependent on social media.  Does anyone not realize FB was created by a hacker who doesn't believe in privacy?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

Protip to Devs: Make a great, engaging, community driven economy and game with the ability to actually "feel" like a unique snowflake in the game world.

Facebook, Twitter, etc does not help with above.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

TESO Devs, your first priority is to revamp the current combat system and make it completely non-target just like the previous TES games, and only then can we move onto extra fluff like being "socially connected on a new level"...

/sigh  -_-

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

While I'm not mad about the feature, and also, in fact, not going to make sweeping statements about not playing the game over it, I definitely won't be using it.  I don't even really use facebook anyway, and when i do its NOT for gaming.  While I have plenty of gamer friends, we communicate about games through gaming mediums like XBL and Steam.  Facebook is too general of a medium for gaming, and any such connectivity will be mostly wasted as we won't want to choke out our friends newsfeeds with our hobby.  We also won't want to set up special feed options to only place our gamer buddies on the list TO see that crap.  Its too much hassle and it serves nothing as we already have plenty of media for gaming without facebook and twitter.

The reason that this sort of thing works for angry birds and song pop is because THOSE are games designed for the non-gaming centric masses and are very casual.  You are not going to garner interest from those people about TESO because they don't want to play games in a serious way.  They want something silly to do for a moment before a trip to the tanning booth or while waiting for their sons football game to start.  Serious gamers are going to be IN the game for a long enough time to want to use its own personal community mediums over facebook for this stuff...and in the few times they don't they will use the gaming sites they already use.  Frankly, its a clear sign that the industry is entirely too far removed from its consumer.  They see statistics and information from other "games" and think that it applies laterally to them as well.  It does not, gaming, as a medium, is large an contains many sub groups of people now that DO NOT always connect in the same way.

I'm sure the executive that thought this up had plenty of data to support the choice, but this person does not understand the separation between causation and correlation.  To put it simply, whats good for one game is not the best for another.  That doesn't imply that TESO will be bad, or that they have idiots on board.  It does imply that someone at the top of their food chain is clearly not a serious gamer.  Which makes sense, as your executive types really don't have the time to be.  Casual gaming was MADE for those guys, they have few moments to spend and those games use those moments well.  I'm sure that what they saw for Farmville and Sims Social was wonderful.  It just doesn't really serve a purpose HERE.

All the same, I'll be playing.  Shaking my head at the poor guy behind this, but playing.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Another thing for gamers to whine about, this is just there to help guild leaders find old friends and contact to the game and current to make our life easier, I don't get why people are crying and to the people saying they are wasing development time doing this for your info to do this takes very little time, so get off there back.....

I swear I wish some of you people would make your own games, oh I forgot you don't know how and you think our job is so easy.. What was I thinking...

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Are people really this stupid? Some of the posts here are some of the stupidest things that I have read on the internet. Some of you really think that you have to use the feature to play the game? HAHA mmorpg posters FTW.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Thats why I was laughing people cry before they read and this is why us modern Devs are tired of gamers and rather go make mobile games because of people like this, more money in it and less whining. I love MMo's but refuse to make one because of these  whiners today...

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Are people really this stupid? Some of the posts here are some of the stupidest things that I have read on the internet. Some of you really think that you have to use the feature to play the game? HAHA mmorpg posters FTW.

While I don't see it ever happening, I do sort of understand the fear.  If its just a feature, then there is nothing to worry about.  If they decide to add things to encourage USING the feature, then you start to grit your teeth.  "Congratulations on hitting level 20!  Post to your wall now for a free xp boost!"  I'd never even use that boost, so the window popup would just be disconnection for me from what I'm doing.  If they choose to add several of those sorts of things to encourage its use, then the constant barrage of windows I have to close would get annoying.

Again, though, its seriously not something I see as happening.  But it is a solid point of annoyance that could be fueling some of this. 

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Nikopol
    Originally posted by Alders
    I can't be the only one that plays MMO's to get away from the social media crap.

Haha, good point. I'd rather they create their own playerbase-based (doh!) social media instead of plugging into Facebook or Twitter, but then there'd be no point for them, would there?

After all, this is all about spamming your friend list with updates regardless of whether they are interested or not! :)

lol I agree.  A game based roleplaying profile for your character would be kind of neat, but I have no interest in linking a game to my online social outlets. 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I think the developers don't understand it when MMO fans say "social". We want in-game social tools, e.g., incentives to use cantinas (real player gambling, social professions / skills, etc). I don't want facebook or any type of that social bacteria.

I'll avoid this one.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    The fact that this team actually sat down and came up with THIS idea to adress the lack of social interaction IN mmo's does not bode well for the rest of the game.  WTF.
  • doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I... don't really care about that. I don't even use social networks. I honestly hope they don't dedicated much resources to this. There are far more important things. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

On the surface, it is a good idea.  The problem is, no 'real' gamer is going to want anything like this in their game.

Yes, I would like integrated social mechanics, such as friends lists, maybe some kind of an in-game 'wall' to show off my latest accomplishments, or to post my current thoughts about the game, etc.  Perhaps an event system, to announce guild events, mail, etc.  But it is totally asinine to think anyone over the age of 12 would want that kind of thing plastered all over their Facebook or Twitter accounts.

This is just another painful example, of how developers have no FKN clue what gamers want, and just do what THEY think is a good idea, without thinking beyond their checkbooks. 

• Originally posted by mmoDAD

I think the developers don't understand it when MMO fans say "social". We want in-game social tools, e.g., incentives to use cantinas (real player gambling, social professions / skills, etc). I don't want facebook or any type of that social bacteria.

I'll avoid this one.

Hah yeah that would be the epitome of sad if they misunderstood what we mean by social features in the game to mean facebook integration.

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

This is going to be the biggest flop of an MMO since ToR

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    It all starts with splitting ES races into 3 factions of disaccord and then you get crap like this.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Yay!   I get to be bittervettish about something finally!   Not that interested in social media to begin with, so this has no value added for me.   I do bet it sounds great when pitched to the suits at HQ though.

Just hope it doesn't take much effort away from other useful programming to integrate this into the game.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Uhwop

This is just another way for the devs to have the playerbase passively advertise the game for them. 

Connect to facebook and have it post status updates on your achievements and activities for you; so that that all of your friends and familly can see what your playing. 

It's just another company trying to turn your facebook page into another advertising resource. 

TESO also won't be the first game to have this social network connection, Rift already does it.  I don't know a single person that actually uses it either. 

And quite frankly, when I see developers hyping this sort of stuff it just gives me the impression that they've got nothing of substance to show anyone and instead are resorting to gimmicks. 

Just seems a little odd tha tthey have yet to mention anything about crafting or non combat related proffesions in the game, yet they're talking about being able to connect to facebook.  Awesome. 

Who needs a real Elder scrolls MMO when you can play generic MMO number 637; now with more facebook, and phasing, and quest grinding, and themepark. 

This. It's been done before and no one uses it... They're wasting resources on this and somehow think it's worthy of an entire news release; makes you worry about what their priorities are...

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Useless addition to the game. It's done for the devs, not the customers, who don't use it in any way. BS, I would not buy it, if it can't be deactivated.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
          Doe social media have to infiltrate every second of our lives??...cant we just play games in peace?