Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion Biggest MMO Failures.

2»

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Biggest failures/disappointments for me:

1. GW2.

2. DAoC's expansions

3. Warhammer Online

4. AoC

5. WoW's expansions

What constitutes a failure? IMO, selling millions of copies  and keeping millions of players (GW2, WoW expansions) is by no means a failure....out of your list, I would keep AoC and WAR.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Destai

1. Everquest 2

This was a failure for me due to the lack of cohesive vision for the game. The interface was extremely counterintuitive, the alternate advancement and traits were poorly organized, and the lacked general polish. 

2. LoTRO 

During its initial launch I loved the game but Mines of Moria ushered in a new era for the game. Like so many other games, I feel many of the features and systems were poorly thought and poorly polished. Following this was the introduction of free to play. Despite having bought the original game for the content and paying the monthly fee for access, players were expected to buy the original content again. Silly additions were added to the game, like having to pay for travel, that ruined the game. The immersion was broken by having see the store everywhere. 

3. SWTOR

This game should never have been an MMO. At best, it should have been a buy-to-play title like Mass Effect 3. Combine its post launch landslide with the extremely limiting free to play change, and you've got one game you couldn't pay me to play.

4. TERA

I played the trial with the expectation of action combat, only to find myself rooted in place while using my skills. That alone was enough to deter from the game. 

For SWTOR, if the goal was to overtake WoW, or keep millions of subs, then yes, its a total failure.....if its goal was to keep as sizable playerbase (one bigger than SWG), its a success...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Dragon Empires.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Destai

1. Everquest 2

This was a failure for me due to the lack of cohesive vision for the game. The interface was extremely counterintuitive, the alternate advancement and traits were poorly organized, and the lacked general polish. 

2. LoTRO 

During its initial launch I loved the game but Mines of Moria ushered in a new era for the game. Like so many other games, I feel many of the features and systems were poorly thought and poorly polished. Following this was the introduction of free to play. Despite having bought the original game for the content and paying the monthly fee for access, players were expected to buy the original content again. Silly additions were added to the game, like having to pay for travel, that ruined the game. The immersion was broken by having see the store everywhere. 

3. SWTOR

This game should never have been an MMO. At best, it should have been a buy-to-play title like Mass Effect 3. Combine its post launch landslide with the extremely limiting free to play change, and you've got one game you couldn't pay me to play.

4. TERA

I played the trial with the expectation of action combat, only to find myself rooted in place while using my skills. That alone was enough to deter from the game. 

EQ2 didn't launch with any alternate advancement at all and I never had the problem with it you had when they did bring it out in RoK which was 4  expansions after launch.Also people who complain about EQ2 inteface amaze me,it is the only MMORPG that has 100% customizable UI with default interface!

Do you by any chance like 1 hotbar action mmo's?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Renoaku

7. The Secret World, Police Station area starting out lags like hell, Customization costs Real Money except for in game items and sucks for the most part even Buy 2 Play they could have done way better.

If The Secret World lags on your machine, then you need a better machine.  I have nothing near the top of the line, and I have no lag whatsoever, whether by the Sheriff's Office or anywhere else.  It is well-known that TSW is a video hog,  and you have to either meet the challenge (by getting a new video card) or go play something that requires less video "muscle."

As to customization costing real money,  you can obtain various outfits (quickly done with the starter decks) or go to Pangaea, which has several hundred clothing options.  And, you can obtain drops that allow you to customize the appearance of your weapons.  Therefore, I do not understand what, specifically, you are complaining about.

As to TSW going B2P, what could they possibly have done "way better."  You buy the game, you play with no sub required.  If you were a lifetime you get free Funcom points, etc. and never have to pay more for an update than one month's worth of points.   If you sub, you get a slightly less monthly package of goodies. They are going to issue periodic updates that you can purchase, if you want to, with stated costs from $5 and up.

I believe your post is based on some sort of frustration with other games, but  your statements re: TSW are off the mark.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

My Biggest failures.

1A. SWTOR     I cant even put this game in a class with my other failed games,  Biowares failure you communicate with its community, its beta testers is something ive never witnessed in a morpg before. Ive played tons of morpg and this one is by far the worst.

Everything about SWTOR is wrong. The game engine, exhaustion zones,lifeless npc's , long loading screens, stupid looking armor sets ect ect and now selling holidays items for money without making them available to paying subs.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Now to my others that are failures but not in the same class of fail as SWTOR

1B STO                     STO is the only game that comes close to SWTOR in terms of fail.

2B Age of Conan    Small areas, heavily instanced.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

My favorites

1.World of Warcraft  

2.Star Wars Galaxies     Before the NGE

3.Minecraft                       Charming great game

4.Asherons Call             Great game

5.Tera                                Kinda miss Tera but left once they put in a cash shop and neglected subs.

************************************************************************************************************************************

Games I have played I kinda liked , BUT understand why a person could like playing it and love it.

1.EVE

2.UO

3.Age of Wushu

4.Asherons Call 2

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Really incredible that sick interest in failures instead of successes. If not for that many games would be success instead of failure. Sickos killed them.

There are many games I dislike a lot but never consistently chase them on any forum. I'm glad for those that enjoy. But problem with sickos is if they something dislike (be it for pure success that game could have) they will spend an incredible ammount of energy and time to kill that game.

• Originally posted by Renoaku
    5. League OF Legends. (Excluding Trolls, and Tribunal of course, that makes this game bad.)  gameplay wise however it seems good to me, and the cash shop isn't pay 2 win or pay 2 enjoy.

6. Tribes Ascend

You know it's a tough business when games that aren't even remotely related to MMOs are more successful as MMOs than actual MMOs.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Biggest failures/disappointments for me:

1. GW2.

2. DAoC's expansions

3. Warhammer Online

4. AoC

5. WoW's expansions

What constitutes a failure? IMO, selling millions of copies  and keeping millions of players (GW2, WoW expansions) is by no means a failure....out of your list, I would keep AoC and WAR.

There is no way in hell GW2 is above 1.5 million players (unless you count those who play once a month). GW2 had a player retention almost identical to SWTOR. So yes, it is a failure.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swg expansions
    Daoc expansions
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

My biggest disappointments of all time:

1. Warhammer Online (most anticipated game for me turned into terrible letdown)

2. Guild Wars 2 (while its a good and polished MMORPG, it appeared to be boring to play. I blame repetative Dynamic Events)

3. SWToR (I wasnt as hyped for it as for the first 2 nomenees, but its a joke of MMO).

Honorable mention: TSW. Its amaziing MMORPG, along with WoW - the best theme park Ive played. What disappoints me is not the game itself but the lack of success it deserves

• SubL_JediSubL_Jedi Member UncommonPosts: 75

age of conan by far

Now Playing: Guild Wars 2/ Diablo 3

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

1) Star Wars: The old Republic - pretty much the entire thing was dissapointing, they wanted to hang their hats on story (something Bioware was famous for until probably ME2/DA2) but the stories were cliched and really lacking compared to an average Bioware story.

2) Age of Conan - For still not having features that are prominently stated on the box.....

3) Warhammer Online - "Theres nothing to see here move along" became the community managers and eventually the devs catch cry despite repeated evidence that multiple things were broken in their game, often uttered after locking threads and or banning an insistent poster. Unfortunately some of these same employees ended up in the SWTOR team and lo and behold went about locking threads and issuing infractions to SWTOR forum posters....

Community: "Magic resistance is not working at all"

Dev Team: "Working as Intended"

Community: "Here is proof it does not work"

Dev Team: "Working as Intended"

Community: "look at the screen grabs, the combat damage numbers are right there it is proof !"

Dev Team: "Dont make us ban you"

Community: "This Bright Wizard dot can be stacked an unlimited number of times"

Dev Team: "Working as Intended, Dont make us ban you"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Quizzical

That's just a list of the highest profile games and companies that you've disliked.  That's not at all the same as being a failure.

Stargate Worlds, on the other hand, is what a real failure looks like.

Pretty sure its his opinion though. The thread isn't about debating what or what isn't a failure to the OP, its purely about sharing what you feel is a failure.

That's an area where A LOT of people around here need to get their head out of their ass.

"I don't like Fallen Earth." <--- opinion

"I don't find Fallen Earth fun."  <-- opinion

"Fallen Earth is a failure." <--  fact

Maybe it's a literacy thing, but there are way too many people here who don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Good grief OP, that's half the industry on your list.

Here's my Readers Digest list:

1. Games trying to beat WoW at themepark, but just end up inferior to it.

2. Dev / Publishers who talk up their games, sell a few million boxes, then everyone realizes it's crap.  They don't care, they laugh to the bank with box sales money.

3. Dev / Publishers who think that MMOs can run themselves, and don't need customer service or rules enforcement.

4. Innovation that's not desirable.  Change for the good is good.  Change for the sake of change is just risky.  (See also #1 and #2).

5. Dev / Publishers who release lame expansions that piss off existing players, trying to grow the playerbase in a different market segment.

and last but not least...

6. Trying to convert SP game players into MMORPG game players by converting MMORPGs into single player games.

How's that?

BTW: Happy New Year (where applicable)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MastersgirlMastersgirl Member Posts: 1

I think everyone can agree that everyone has their own point of view when it comes to what is bad and what is good, neither is right nor wrong.

When i see people say * what is the best game to play?* or * what is the best character to roll?*  i tell them  try it and see for yourself  because what you may like and other with hate. Of course when it comes to games that are sub orientated then that can get a little tricky. Mind you the way the trend is these days just wait 6 months or so and the games go f2p anyways.

yes i played SWTOR from closed beta onwards got several sith chars to 50 and went err ok next... and i quested all the way with a bit of hutt ball inbetween awesome  i thought , never took it seriously could have had so much going for it but thats just me :) 

yes played AOC  not from launch though  but still i loved the game not so much the end grind to get gear but  i loved it .

yes i play TSW from closed beta onward  loved it  loved the way it made you think look up stuff investigate and the like the game that mad you stop READ and think. Mind you it was the only game i thought yes as soon as i have the money i will be a * lifer* then a couple of weeks later after i had left i found it went buy to pay and im like errr ok glad i didnt fork out over $300 to be a lifer then LOL

yes played FE too loved that game  as well.. especially the crafting of the weapons and ammo and stuff . left for a break and found out it went f2p then looked at the sub and went err not paying up to $50 for something i used to pay $15 for .

played EVE awesome game in itself.. mind you you could never catch up to the ones that had been playing for years and ammassed the kind of ships and weaponry. Did not like the idea of someone blowing me out of the stars after 6 months of hard work i put in. yes i could stay away for 0 sec etc ... so i decided the best was to say thanks great game just not prepared to lose it all in a matter of minutes.

have played others but for the life of  me i cant remember them all  been playing all kinds of mmorpgs for the best part of 10 + years now i do not in anyways shape or form profess to be a * know it all* i just know the kind of games i like and dont for my own reasons and will not go out there and go DONT get this cause i think its so and so  or YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS  * because i think its so and so .. i think ya get my meaning lol

the most ever online and i cant even bring myself to say an mmorpg causein my opinion  it isnt ! was SL * Second Life* i spent what 4 years give or take in SL meet some awesome people did some amazing things made some pretty cool things as well  fishtanks with *swimming fish*  and the like .. houses mansion  hehe even tried my hand at making hair as well back in the day when everything started with a square * ahh memories* lol

i do so wish people would stop calling it an mmorpg cause it isnt its a platform  like THERE  and others similar, you have an avatar there are no NPC's no specific storyline * only the one you make up if you want to go and enjoy a rp sim* and there is no questing or rewards. It is in essence SecondLife.. you are only limited to your imagination in SL the amount of stuff  you can do and create is just at times overwhelming. Dont get me wrong Sl too has its flaws then again what doesnt :) 

anyways  i have rambled on enough .. looks like i was beginning to write a novel  and not just my own point of view to this thread.

I am sure i will be flamed but meh it happens i guess lol

everyone enjoy your game whatever  its have a safe and awesome new year ! 

Game on ! 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I don't see how you can consider Perfect World a failure.

Isn't that one of the most profitable and populated mmos out there? Not my cup of tea but appears to be for many others.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it a failure.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Everyone wants to focus on failures. Why is "Fail" such a huge buzzword these days anyway. I blame the WoW kiddy Culture fir this.

Instead of all the things that sucked about MMO's recently, I'd rather talk about stuff they are doing right, and what they should continue to progress so that the industry as a whole moves forward... not stays stuck in a rut glowering over mistakes made.

My top 3 non-failures from last year:

FFXIV rebrand:
    Be it good or bad, this is probably the first time I've seen a publisher actually take responsibility for a poor release, and turn around and completely reboot the game as something different. APB came back from the dead, yes, but it was largely the same game that came back. FFXIV-ARR will be totally different. Now, it could equally suck as bad as the first incarnation - but that isn't my point. My point is that a developer stood up, acknowledged something was wrong, and is doing something different to fix it. Now, this rebrand did start a while ago - early 2011 before we really got details on it, but this year was the rubber meets the road - FFXIV shut down (for the most part), and we all wait for FFXIV-ARR to come back up in it's place.

GW2:
    There are a lot of things to talk about in this title. No, it wasn't the second coming of Jesus that a lot of people were preaching, but it was a good game, and broke from a lot of old conventions: some in a great way, others could still use some tweaking. Dynamic events are good - they still need some evolution, but it's definitely a very nice change from the WoW-style quest hub (which in and of itself was a nice change of pace from the very hidden and arcane quest style of EQ1). The removal of the trinity has shaken things up a good deal (it was hardly the first game to do so, but one of the most prominent). The 3 distinct play styles inside of a single game: PvE, Wv3, and sPVP - and how they influence but not interfere with each other. The payment model: again, not unique (since it was from GW1), but showing the industry how F2P and Sub aren't the only 2 models out there, and proving it by succeeding. Content rollouts with limited-engagement world events: some worked well, others flopped, but they are evolving. And I could keep going on... All in all A-Net had really shaken things up, this game may not be ambrosia incarnate, but it's a welcome change to what had otherwise become a stagnant field of WoW-Clones.

SWTOR:
    I think there is some good to come from SWTOR last year. We can safely say that IP alone won't generate subscriptions, or a return on investment. We can safely say that the subscription model isn't a surefire revenue generator. We can safely say that a big budget doesn't necessarily mean a great game. I hate that SWTOR has mostly undeperformed - sure it's still around, but not as they had originally intended. But I think it was a good thing: it gives a huge boon to smaller publishing houses and indie developers (investors see that the big budget isn't always the sure win, and will be more willing to diversify their portfolio with smaller projects), it shakes up the industry away from the traditional WoW-model MMO and Bioware-model RPG (I don't know what the fallout from this will be, change is always somewhat scary, but without it we won't get anywhere), and it allows other new IP's to come to the forefront. Similarly, and sadly, the closure of 38-Studios is in the same vein, but hopefully from the efforts of both Bioware and 38-studios we'll see something better bloom from it.

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Guild Wars 2 will enter the history of MMORPG as a game with good potential completely destroyed by the managing ArenaNet Staff.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Everyone wants to focus on failures. Why is "Fail" such a huge buzzword these days anyway. I blame the WoW kiddy Culture fir this.

Instead of all the things that sucked about MMO's recently, I'd rather talk about stuff they are doing right, and what they should continue to progress so that the industry as a whole moves forward... not stays stuck in a rut glowering over mistakes made.

Definitely agree with this approach, and is similar to how view MMOs: enjoy what a game has to offer, and don't get hung up on what it doesn't have. You'll never enjoy any game if all you want to do is gripe.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with requesting new features or changes for games that you play, but when those things (or the lack of them) upset you, it's time to move on.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Failure is measured differently depending on company.  If they have spent more money than they can pay back on a reduced player base... that is a huge failure.  Spin that to a company that has that lower player base but knew it was going to happen and is still able to pay the bills, that is a success.  Looking at success vs failure you need to look at all aspects.