Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Hopes for 2013

L0stL0st Member Posts: 77

Let's face it 2012 has been a pretty crappy(in my opinion) year for MMOs and the gamers who play them. Hopefully 2013 will be better for us and bring us better games and surprises. 

I personally am looking foward to AcheAge and Star Citizen.

What are you looking forward to this new year as far as MMOs and games go?

Comments

• bopice12bopice12 Member Posts: 20

Any mmo that won't have level reqs on Items.   Any mmo that will allow my high level toon to buff out my low level toon.  Any mmo that will have open dungeons , with rare spawns , rare loot .   Any mmo that doesn't fill my bags with equipment and makes it a joy to get something again. 

Not that any of these picks will have all those things here is my list.

1.  Elders scrolls online.  pvp bleh (  , quests to level bleh (  . otherwise cool sounding game.

2. Everquest Next .

3.  Any game that lets me grind monsters and takes out the quest hubing to level.  quest for items yes. for levels no.

bring the genre back to its roots.

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    Now that the world didnt end on 12/21/12. I hope some serious MMOs are coming out in 2013 and beyond. Because what? the next end of the world is 2017??

We've had 2 major let downs this year as far as "end of the world" goes, so hopefully if i'm still around in 2017 it won't be such a let down.   3rd time is the charm right?

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

2012 was imho the best year for MMORPGs ever. Crazy amount of AAA releases and announcements.

2013 wont be as exciting but my hopes are in Age of Wushu further development and Archeage western release

Also will be interesting to see how Dust integrates into EVE Online universe

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    I think after this year with how a lot of AAA games didn't turn out the way the developers hoped I think it turned out good.  Finally make companies/developers come up with new concepts and thrive to make better MMORPG's for the consumer.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

DFUW & Defiance.  

Project Theralon, if thats anywhere near release.   Firefall if they get enough new features in

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by bopice12

Any mmo that won't have level reqs on Items.   Any mmo that will allow my high level toon to buff out my low level toon.  Any mmo that will have open dungeons , with rare spawns , rare loot .   Any mmo that doesn't fill my bags with equipment and makes it a joy to get something again. 

Not that any of these picks will have all those things here is my list.

1.  Elders scrolls online.  pvp bleh (  , quests to level bleh (  . otherwise cool sounding game.

2. Everquest Next .

3.  Any game that lets me grind monsters and takes out the quest hubing to level.  quest for items yes. for levels no.

bring the genre back to its roots.

I hate to say it but SOSDD - same old "stuff" different day.  That won't work.  You'd log in, get bored stupid and log off really fast.  This model has been exhausted and beyond yourself, few would find it worth playing. 

What you are describing is a solo game with a chat-channel.  The bulk of it exists in EQ if that's what you want and you can play for free with a half dozen accounts able to advance all at the same time backing each other up, doing the content as you like.

Memory lane is a nice place to visit but not somewhere one wants to spend all their time after having already been through "hell levels" and "corps retrivial" and all the other parts that were amusing (such as giving 1 pp in copper to a beggar so they couldn't move, etc.).

So if that's what you want, just grab any of the older games that are now F2P and enjoy that memory experience.  The model won't attract and keep the bulk of players and a lack of players means another dead-end game.

PS: in very early EQ (989 studios controlled days, when you /petition for your surname), there was no soulbound and "twinking" - a guy did that for his girlfriend with the top armor in the game - called "Rubicite".  A GM came in, stripped both his char and her's of all gear and told them that it was cheating.

As such, what you're asking for is just after twinking became more normal and acceptable - around the same time "gold selling" and e-bay character selling came into vogue -- what many really "old time gamers" see as the beginning of the end of "fun play" in MMO's.

• MelonCiderMelonCider Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I want Prius online back!
  • RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25

Future games I'm excited about:

Citadel of Sorcery

Greed Monger

Elder Scrolls Online

Neverwinter

Star Citizen

Pathfinder Online

I think our future will have some sick games

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I'm cautiously optimistic for EQ Next (not sure if this will even be out in 2013) and FF XIV Reborn, but way more cautious than optimistic. WildStar sounded and looked fun until they released that combat video; now it's completely dropped off my radar.

I don't think 2012 has been any worse than 2011, 10, 8, 7, 6 or 5. You can't get lower than 0 lolz.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Not too much hope for the future in the coming 3-5 months (maybe age of wushu...confusing and horrid translations).  Hopefully the end of the year is worth something as this year was full big releases that were 3 - 6 month distractions at the most.

GW2 and TSW were both good releases but they had very limited freedom (other than TSW's skill wheel) and limited amounts of entertainment.

Edit: Tomorrow is gonna suck...err today.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Hoping The Repopulation will be 2013.  It's about the only one due for release that I have any interest in.

With WAC in pre-alpha, I'm actually spending a good bit of time playing it.  Still pretty rough though.  I don't think the dev has a clue what he's doing.  image

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • bopice12bopice12 Member Posts: 20

I think masses of people would play and enjoy the classic Everquest style game.

Name ONE AAA mmorpg  since EQ that allows ONLY kililng mobs to level ?  none since Wow came out.  that's 8 years ago....

Name ONE AAA mmorpg that doesn't have level reqs on items....   there is none.  Why It's a game!  and the economies will be fine . They just adjust.

I am Playing everquest on EQ mac.  frozen in time 2003ish.  But i'd rather have a server stuck in 2001 .  an P-99 doesn't count .

Take The classic everquest World / classes / spells .  Remake it with todays graphics , gameplay ,  Add some new dungeons .   Insta hit ! 

The majority of Real  mmorpg's want the old killing challenging monsters with loot back!  and Take the Quest leveling out.   Only add Very hard to find and hard to do quests for items / factions.

My wife just ported my necromancer to north karana druid rings..... I forgot to put invisibility on :(   guess what happened.  All the druids at the druid circle jumped my necro and killed me!  That is the faction system we need.

If i grind for days I could get my faction up so they were just dubious to me.

I think You don't want the Old Style everquest....  But many people weren't there to experience it.  And NO the everquest after 2002 is  An Entirely DIFFERENT game .  They sold out.  right after Velilous was released.

I feel bad for anyone that didn't get to try out Everquest 1999-2001.   I was there for Wow at release  , It held me for 6 months.  But I was so mad at the quest grinding after 15 days of it. .....  Wow release era was awesome , but Not even close to as great of a game Everquest at release was.

I have an entire server that agrees with me at least : )   EQ MAC !     I have hope for eq next , but i put money on it being another 1-2 month mmo .  Just like all the rest.    Wow is now a Daily Job fest , losing players that finally realize it.  Each expansion nullifing all your previous work. .    Everyone is the same , no community.   Give us Back our the golden age of mmo's!   quest for items ,  killing for exp!   team work to do dungeons ,  Unbalanced classes!  No level Reqs on Items. etc etc  dungeons that are actual dungeons ,  Not a pre set  path .......

• Enshadowed37Enshadowed37 Member Posts: 4
    Really hoping Guild Wars 2 begins to spark again, right now coming from a hardcore PvP background it feels almost entirely dead which is a shame considering it was I game I was eagerly anticipating for over a year. :(
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

2012 was imho the best year for MMORPGs ever. Crazy amount of AAA releases and announcements.

2013 wont be as exciting but my hopes are in Age of Wushu further development and Archeage western release

Also will be interesting to see how Dust integrates into EVE Online universe

Every game I tried in 2012 was garbage....Im not sure what you played that was the best ever....The genre moved more towards a single player experience with most games and now cutscenes, voice acting, and public grouping are becoming the norm......

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I hope FF XIV can be as great as it should have been.  But, if not ESO or major updates for RaiderZ because I'm having fun with it right now personally.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Well a few games have my focus, after the Alpha test my focus is now mainly on FFXIV: ARR. End of Nations is a game ive been watching for ages and I cant wait for its open beta to begin. And finally Phantasy Star Online 2, I hope I get a chance to try it soon :).

But most of all, im excited to see the announcement of the next big MMO inovation :)

• SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278
    I'm  really hoping for Elder Scrolls online or Neverwinter online will hold my interest for more then 2-3 months after release.

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I've actually loved 2012. My hopes are for more GW2 next year. I think Archage has potential and for some reason I'm still interested in FF. Star Citizen seems like a dream to be honest, way to nebulous.