Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Socially Connected on a New Level

Comments

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

This is the wrong type of social connect, we need in-game mechanics that like that of Asheron's Call, patron/vassal system, game play that encourages making friends but doesn't gimp or hinder you like a road block if you don't.

It's the difference between games like World of Warcraft, where you instinctively want to avoid other players.

and games like AC where you want to make friends because there is actual benefits besides that of just new person to chat with.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I play mmos to get away from real life. I swear if im playing TESO and it tells me when something happens on FB imma uninstall the game right there. MMos are suppose to be about their OWN WORLDS not connected with ours. Sure it makes it easy for gaming journalists and youtubers who can report what there doing right there and now but comeon....

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Amazing that people are getting this worked up over a game we haven't tried out yet. Untill people are actually playing it and you can really see how it really plays there's nothing to be getting so worked up about.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

This is just another way for the devs to have the playerbase passively advertise the game for them. 

Connect to facebook and have it post status updates on your achievements and activities for you; so that that all of your friends and familly can see what your playing. 

It's just another company trying to turn your facebook page into another advertising resource. 

TESO also won't be the first game to have this social network connection, Rift already does it.  I don't know a single person that actually uses it either. 

And quite frankly, when I see developers hyping this sort of stuff it just gives me the impression that they've got nothing of substance to show anyone and instead are resorting to gimmicks. 

Just seems a little odd tha tthey have yet to mention anything about crafting or non combat related proffesions in the game, yet they're talking about being able to connect to facebook.  Awesome. 

Who needs a real Elder scrolls MMO when you can play generic MMO number 637; now with more facebook, and phasing, and quest grinding, and themepark. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Meh,

Was hopping for a good game not a facebook/twitter/phone ap. Farmville and angry brids can have it.    

Yes, yes i know i'm a dinsaur who would rather actually play a game, then serf the web, order food, and chat in a game all at the sametime

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Rohn

Frankly, I don't care about external social networking in a game.

I am far more interested on how a game's design fosters social interaction and interrelationships within the context of the game.

I actually thought this acticle would be about just that when I read the tittle.

Most of my rl friends/family aint into gaming so it wouldn't work for me.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Someone tell mmorpg companies that spending resources and pushing "Hey we have Facebook integration" is about on the same level as spending 1/3 your massive budget on voice acting for quests.

What mmorpg company will finally figure out the in game virtual worlds and gameplay in it  are far more important than any of this crap?

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This is only good for grabbing new blood, outside of that Facebook and twitter should remain invisible.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Everything has facebook and twitter connections today. Its nothing new and you don't have to use it. Its just another function you can use if you are that type of person. I don't really use any of them so I don't really care about it at all, not sure why some give a shit either if they arent going to use it.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    MMORPG players do NOT play to be connected to REAL LIFE social media...the ENTIRE CONCEPT of an RPG is to CREATE AN ALTERNATE REALITY and immerse the player in IT. I am starting to wonder if this company is capable of doing anything that isnt going to piss most people off.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

because

~ Matt Firor took the stage again to tell us about how ESO will be the most socially connected MMO ever.

When this is only 1 very small step that will help, proper mechanics is how to socially connect players.

Pretty pitiful, can tell already this game will be fail.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Worst feature of this game.

I am not sure why Mr Firor is hyping it so much.

Plastic Social features is what we really need in MMOs.............not

It will kill totally real Social interaction in TESO

I hope this guy is never going to work in the gaming industry again after destroing one of the greatest RPG IP in gaming

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    They only thing I hate more than Facebook and Twitter are the people that are obsessed with them.  If this game, or any other, makes the use of social media mandatory, then I won't be playing, no matter how good they are.

This^^^  I got so pissed off trying to watch the ****ing Olympics with Facebook and Twitter popping up constantly.  And all the pointless FB and Twitter crap between every match..  I won't be watching them again.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

you know what would make more sense

STEAM INTEGRATION

because that has social features for gamers, and they could use stuff like steam works for ui mods.  Also given the strong use of steam in bethseda / arkane / id games from the same publisher - zenimax.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by kartool
    Originally posted by Shadow-Focus
    First!

People still do this?

Sadly, dumb repetitive things entertain people without ever getting old to them..  People still enjoy talking about bacon and laughing at Chuck Norris jokes in game chat.  It's usually a sign of a low IQ.

bacon remains awesome.

So does Chuck Norris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskUXsr2974

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    All the time they spend lubing twitter and facebook takes away from quality dev time. Am I the only one who even questions why they thkught brining elder scrolls to the mmo space was a good move? These no breathing room between titles anymore and given economic times....

so say we all

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Is it me, or did I just notice a lot of people ashamed of their hobbie?

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    So, not only will gold farmers be hacking your game account but your FB, Google, etc as well have access to vital informaiton for identity theft... What a great fucking stupid idea.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by bossalinie

Is it me, or did I just notice a lot of people ashamed of their hobbie?

Nope....................it's more like having a big Pepsi banner popping out of an Everquest treasure chest,  it's plain wrong

It just doesn't fit in and kills the immersion.

MMORPG are a form of escapism, I want to relax and forget about the daily bullshit, which means that having Facebook in my game is the last thing I want .

I guess many feel the same.

After all if I was addicted to Facebook I would play that the whole day, like millions of people do everyday.

That's another kind of  time sink, my one are the MMORPGs and I would like to keep the 2 things separate.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

It absolutely amazes me how much time, effort, and money they spend trying to do everything under the sun except make a game.

It's not about Facebook.  It's not about Twitter...

It's about the game stupid.

• upbanupban Member Posts: 8
    sure they want to control you and know where you are and what you play...and game with FB or TW connected...simple way of  spying on you 
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

If I was a stakeholder in the company I have to admit I would find this intriguing.

Since I'm not this concept just seems overkill, redundant, and frankly reeks of advert residuals.

Can't say I'm real enthused with what I have read so far about this game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jonathon82jonathon82 Member Posts: 21
    Damn, what did you guys have bad holidays. Everyone seems grumpy lol Relax, there just covering all the angles. I actually this this will be a good MMO for once
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Time and resources spent on this could be put towards a much more productive feature.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
    Originally posted by jonathon82
    Damn, what did you guys have bad holidays. Everyone seems grumpy lol Relax, there just covering all the angles. I actually this this will be a good MMO for once

If this is there big answer to social connectedness, then LOL, why not feature some in game mechanics that actually help.