Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: Socially Connected on a New Level

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by kartool
    Originally posted by Shadow-Focus
    First!

People still do this?

Sadly, dumb repetitive things entertain people without ever getting old to them..  People still enjoy talking about bacon and laughing at Chuck Norris jokes in game chat.  It's usually a sign of a low IQ.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT BACON!

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Sorry, I'd prefer not to play and interact with the FB, mouth-breather population.  Most dedicated gamers aren't using FB as their main sorce of social networking.  A waste of time and resources if you ask me.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Kalstark

or you could just not use it, crazy thought i know

and most people will not. however, it irks me that this is something developers think they should spend time and money on, as opposed to making this game feel more like Skyrim....an in the end that's exactly what this game will feel like: Angry Elder Scrolls Birds.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    What about you, what sort of uses do you see for this social network integration? Will you use it? If so, what would you like to see included? Let us know in the comments!

What do i see from this?

I merely see this as a tool to gather people , much like a guildportal site, and manage them on FB, much like a guild portal site - which can be transferred in game, It will make guild leaders jobs easier in managing people, their events and their activities;  thats it.

I am not convinced on how this will improve social connectiveness other than have people make posts on facebook instead on a guild portal; a few steps cut out, more streamlined to make things easier for people to come together,  but the end result will just be the same, it will have to rely on pure activity alone.

Speaking of FB directly, I would have to bring up one  clear negative about this, which would be with facebook there are people that actually have their real names AND pictures on their page. I understand that there are people that would rather  seperate certain personal things from the outside world whichever that maybe. 

now assuming that it will operate just like a FB page - some people may either have to alter their own page before joining this  Guild FB page,  or have to just make another account with their avatar's name. what i say many will think nothing of it, but there are also many that feel comfortable of seperating their real life persona from their gaming persona for many reasons i wont get into.

I will not use it

If i were to join a game and this was something as a priority to join that guild, then i wouldnt mind setting up a profile and go through the motions. outside of that, i see no further purpose for me to WANT to use this. I look at this feature and do not see social connectiveness, but social redistribution, hearding customers from one place to the next, enticing them with a couple established bells and whistles that people will think nothing of it ( Like button for ex.) 

As for their direction of this Social connectiveness, it adds very little to bring people together and socialize, it does not take away anything, but i do not see a massive impact of getting people from different walks of life to work together and talk -- we already have that, its the issue that you wont see it in the open, and when you do it'll commonly extend to the following phrases

LFG,  Pugg Raid etc. , Some random guild recruit spam chat, random gold seller spam chat, a sprinkle of political discussion that devolves to verbal diarrahea, and the rest being hipster, dorito/mountain dew infused trolling.

I do not mind if im wrong

This can give ESO that title of most social game in the industry, or whatever. But i would feel more motivated to talk to others if more games started using certain ingame features like crafting, or socially influenced minigames such as playing cards, cooking, fishing, throwing down to play some music instruments (nothing built in that used outside the game).  If you look at MMO's that have RP communities and their events,  some groups would make  some crazy events with the little social tools that they have (again, music instruments, gambling dice) and run with it. many would be amazed to see a event that involved gambling and money just by using some dice that was in the game, nothing third party either. whether they were in character or not, it was a welcomed resource for many to try their luck to rake home some gold, it had people talking and ultimately brought people together. 

just my opinion and how i feel about it.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I'm an user of "anti-social media" (Ventrilo, Mumble, aMSN and mIRC) and from my point of view, integrating this new social media wave to games is a waste of manhours, which could've been better spent on coding.

And if there's even one popup or advantage to people on various social medias (as many free to play games have - link facebook and you get something for free in game), that certainly makes me feel ill. It's just horrible. I want no part whatsoever in anything like that.

Don't get me wrong people! I want ESO to be good, I truely do, but I am -afraid-. So far it seems quite horrible.

...Now, thinking about normal people using Facebook while playing a game.. Would they really want status updates "derp, joined a guild, hosting events here and here."? I highly doubt that. For me, guilds have always been about privacy and warmth in a tight-knit community.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    They only thing I hate more than Facebook and Twitter are the people that are obsessed with them.  If this game, or any other, makes the use of social media mandatory, then I won't be playing, no matter how good they are.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's handy to have an easy access guild page without needing to pay for all sorts of sites before you get access to the useful stuff.

But I'm not really a fan of facebook or twitter. Sure, the former is really handy to organise parties and events with your mates, but I never really got along with the hype of putting all your activities and pictures up for public view. From my point of view, it all quickly turns into a massive dickfest (well maybe not that, as it's mostly the girls who obsess over it o.0) to show off how interesting and happy your life really is by only picking the pretty pictures.

I'd rather they put their efforts toward providing a good guild site and perhaps even voice chat server themselves. That's not even new, Sony did it before, as well as a few others.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Cute... Someone over there is looking at the social dynamics that keep people in a game, long after the content and dynamics have grown stale... Only time will tell if this works out for them. 
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

hmmm, called me jaded or just note that I "just got up"(happy new year everyone) but I just read this sentence as:

"Facebook, Twitter, Google+… they’ll all be shamelessly integrated into the game from the start."

I had to do a double take as I was thinking "wow, they've reached a new level of honesty in this new year".

edit: oh and I won't use any of this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

*yawn*

Has anyone ever had trouble finding their friends in an MMO. Seriously? Has this ever been an issue for anyone?!

So yeah, this is a whole lot of nonsense that I don't really care is in an MMO I play.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

ugh!!! don't link us to some outside social media the game it self should be the social media!!

mmo thrive on player retention, the last thing you want is your players going to other media.

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by SBFord

One of the things that many game makers are coming to grips with is the inclusion of social 'connectedness' in today's MMOs. In our latest Elder Scrolls Online column, we take a look at how TESO devs are making sure their game has all the social connectivity that anyone could possibly want. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

“...Matt Firor took the stage again to tell us about how ESO will be the most socially connected MMO ever.  Facebook, Twitter, Google+… they’ll all be seamlessly integrated into the game from the start.  You can import all your friends, circles, followers into the game directly.  You can even make a Guild Page on Facebook prior to launch, have your friends join it, have guild members join it, and then import it directly into ESO.  Boom, instant guild.  Matt claims they ZOS knows that people now have friends everywhere, from every walk of life.  They don’t want to make you manage yet another social network.  Instead they believe that Elder Scrolls will benefit by making itself as socially connected to the existing networks as possible.”

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Elder Scrolls Online: Socially Connected on a New Level.

So ESO is just going to be another FB game hmmmm MMORPG.com take this off your MMO game list pls.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    I hate all those things and use none of them. So... *shrug*

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    While I will not partake in and use those social mediums I hope it doesnt interfere with other systems in place or take away from the game in any way.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Good God this game is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Alders
    I can't be the only one that plays MMO's to get away from the social media crap.

You're not.  I'm in the same boat.  I play games to get away from all the real world drama, not import it.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

*yawn*

Has anyone ever had trouble finding their friends in an MMO. Seriously? Has this ever been an issue for anyone?!

So yeah, this is a whole lot of nonsense that I don't really care is in an MMO I play.

I've never had a problem because we actually got together and talked to each other in real life first! 

• Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by OgreRaper

*yawn*

I've never had a problem because we actually got together and talked to each other in real life first! 

This. Also, you're locked into your factions so megaservers won't help anyway unless you were lucky enough to pick the same faction as the "friends" you don't communicate with.

One of you will still have to create a new character if you want to play together.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36
    Now less interested in this game.

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    How much is FB twit paying U ESO?
  • ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Yeah, crap I'm not interested in. They better not make that stuff a requirement or achievement based. Why on earth would anyone want this in their mmo. Immersion =====> out the door.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    What a waste of resources.
  • ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I hope they dont waste too much time on GIMMICKS and cinematics that just dont do anything for the actual game other than advertising.
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    The only social thing that I actually need in the game is a dungeon finder if there is dungeons and guild finder for looking for guilds that does raiding, pvp and pve.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I don't mind having the option of adding your Facebook/Google+ friends to your ingame friends list, but usually, Facebook integration means nobody, not even important news like "our servers got hacked and customer information was stolen" gets posted on the official site.

So far, in every game that started using Facebook while i was following, the "official" (games website, forum, blog etc.) started to suffer. Some of them to the point of being a waste of time, money and space.

Just take a look at how mmorpg.com handles it:

Instead of posting on Facebook that they have a lottery here on mmorpg.com, they post here that they have a lottery on Facebook. So the people following them on Facebook stay there, the people here that use Facebook go to Facebook, and the people not using Facebook have no reason to visit mmorpg.com. Everyone spreading the news will also post the link to Facebook, saying "you can win something on Facebook", not "you can win something at mmorpg.com".

Some of the companies that handle their different channels more competent, GearBoxSoftware, still posts SHIFT keys specially for Facebook. the people with Facebook get both those from Facebook and Twitter/other sites, the people without feel betrayed.

And the real winner is Facebook.

For some games/companies, it would be enough if the official website would simply redirect to the Facebook page.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore