Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Always keep in mind that even though someone levels skills by paying out cash quicker, does not mean they know how to properly use those skills or know what they are doing.  Rental items however I agree suck but that would not keep me from playing the game in any fashion.

It will be wait and see to find out how much the cash shop will affect the balance in-game.

Must say I've heard the above argument many times, but usually it still turns out to be: pay = win...

Not gonna say it's like that in this game though, I haven't played it yet.  It would just be a shame to let something that seems so promising go the way of Allods, or to see the soul of the PvP compromised by microtransactions.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Vyeth

I wish every MMO could say things like this:

There has been some confusion regarding the consequences for deleting a character that we want to clear up. Let me start by saying that Age of Wushu is an unconventional MMO in many ways. The focus isn't on leveling as quickly as possible to reach an endgame, but instead participating in a persistent and living world. There are many features that encourage this, from characters remaining in game while offline to the emphasis on a player-driven economy. Age of Wushu encourages a connection with a single character, and the journey from newcomer to master.

Simply put, the game was not made to support "alts." Each account is only allowed a single character for this reason. The choices you make are intended to have consequences.

The choices you make are intended to have consequences..

I have been enjoying my time in the Age of Wushu..

Recommended.

This is the part that grabbed my attention.

"Elite and Deluxe Edition Rewards will not be sent to characters created after a character is deleted and a new one is created.

VIP Status will remain, regardless of character deletion.

It's important to be absolutely sure before making any lasting decisions. If you need help or information on which school you should join, there are many resources available, including our very own Schools forum as well as the School Spotlights posted on our official site.

Additionally, you are free to use other Snail Accounts to create free trials and use the allotted 10 hours to evaluate a school before choosing on your main account."

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2101

Should have been a message to people when they were buying the game that this was what would happen. Either way people should be sent their elite and deluxe rewards regardless if they reroll, seems real shoddy to me.

What items do you really loose? A temporary mount for deluxe and?

I never thought the "junk" it gave out was that good so I never understood the desire to keep it, the game give you a temp mount at the start regardless...the old horse, so you really don't even loose that you just get a different one. You keep the gold and the VIP.

I think you get some armor that isn't that good as well, I don't know I just think if I wanted to swap schools the few trinkets it gave me wouldn't stop me one bit.

edit: The lost time in character development might give me some pause though.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Rilman

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now" " Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

http://www.ageofwushu.com/home/

I can't see that anywhere. I've got 'buy now' and 'download'.

Its Pay to play beta which is a joke to be honest. It didn't say you could only play for one hour a day until I'd read all the website introduction, downloaded the game, made an account, installed the game, then came the one hour pop-up when I first logged in, I'm annoyed because it wasted my time, if I knew it was a pay to play Beta frigging test I never would have downloaded it in the first place. I posted on their forums and there was a dozen people replied aggreeing with me saying it was basically shite and they should tell you this first, it all seems a little underhand to me,  get you to install their game, make and account and THEN tell you you have to pay, to Beta test?

If its not a Beta then don't tell me its a beta, its its an hour trial for 10 days then say so, don't try to trick people into installing the game and then tell them, the whole thing just comes of as dishonest trickery to get peoples money.

http://www.ageofwushu.com/

Front page as stated. Also first search on google this is top of list. Clearly states terms of beta, GL.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Wait.. Isnt this game Age of Wulin? That game is terrible. Where are all of these " fans " coming from?
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Wait.. Isnt this game Age of Wulin? That game is terrible. Where are all of these " fans " coming from?

I am in florida.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by parrotpholk
    Always keep in mind that even though someone levels skills by paying out cash quicker, does not mean they know how to properly use those skills or know what they are doing.  Rental items however I agree suck but that would not keep me from playing the game in any fashion.

For what I have seen, everything in game (either sold by an NPC or a crafter) has durability and when this gets to zero the item disappears. They do this to keep the economy from stagnating (SWG had a similar system). I believe the cash shop items are timed for similar reasons

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl
    It will be wait and see to find out how much the cash shop will affect the balance in-game.

Must say I've heard the above argument many times, but usually it still turns out to be: pay = win...

Not gonna say it's like that in this game though, I haven't played it yet.  It would just be a shame to let something that seems so promising go the way of Allods, or to see the soul of the PvP compromised by microtransactions.

Right now the only stuff in the cash shop is cosmetic or mounts. Not sure if this is going to change. They might have potions and pills too (to speed up exp conversion rate) but you can get those in game too

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

@ SlyLok

I'm from Sweden.

Originally posted by Biskop
    I'm from Sweden myself.

He was being sarcastic. He means he thinks AoW is crap and doesn't get why so many people like it

Originally posted by muthax
    I'm from Sweden myself.

He was being sarcastic. He means he thinks AoW is crap and doesn't get why so many people like it

What...!? Sarcasm? On the INTERNET? No way!!!

• Necrite666Necrite666 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    F2P (without P2W) and sandboxy... sounds nice. Too bad the setting turns me off... So it might really be "the greatest sandbox you'll never play". At least for me. -.-

I hate WoW and what it has done to the MMO genre.

This is what SnailGame had to say officially on the P2W 'accuse':

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2345

Make whatever you want of it. I know I am not going to play the NA version but just because of latency (I am a VIP but the ability delay when you are at 300ms ping is really too much) 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

@ SlyLok

I'm from Sweden.

Detroit here.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

The massively article talks about paying to level up your skills and renting items for money.

Both are not really appealing to me.

Will still try the game even if the EU version has the same deal though.

The items it talks about are the vanity items,

the leveling up your skill for money is not cash shop related but related to the prayer event going on where you can pray and get random rewards including some exp pills I belive not useful to me as my exp is normally maxxed anyway and I have way too much cultivation points to spend unless I take a week from getting anymore.

The biggest potential gripe is the ability to do martial arts training for silver coins (which you can get with real money) this can be used to speed up the process. I bought 3 dollars worth of gold coins to test it out, it took about two hours off of my skill cultivation time. To me it is not worth it but yes I suppose someone could drop 300 dollars and speed it up considerably. Lotro has exp books in the cash shop, Eve has plex..it is almost become the norm that if you are dead set on spending real money you can get an advantage (Wow has gold farmers and multi account users).

You can do the same martial arts training with coins you earn from being a crafter, you don't have to be spending real money on it. I would like to see a cap on how many coins you can buy with real money per day or week or something but I doubt that would happen.

This is aswell as it can be said.

I'm from Sweden myself.

Shocking, I know...

What sort of ping you get on teh NA server? Do you have problems with abilities not firing at the right time?

BTW anyone knows of a decent AoW forum? The official one (NA) is a wasteland and this isn't exactly....busy.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        The martial arts and asian overtones of this game don't make it seem very appealing.....let us know when someone has a good fantasy sandbox
    I'm from Sweden myself.

Shocking, I know...

What sort of ping you get on teh NA server? Do you have problems with abilities not firing at the right time?

I have had no issues whatsoever. I know some people complain about lag and latency issues but the game runs smooth as silk for me 99% of the time.

I'll probably move to the EU server when Wulin launches though, since I hear the English translations will be better there (and also more people from my timezone playing ofc). Remains to be seen how well gpotato handles the whole "ptw" thing.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I have attempted many times to play this game.  I've lost myself a few hours into this game here and there simply because I've tried to convince myself that the wonderfulness will just eventually reveal itself to me.  It seems many players experience some sort of epiphany at some point.... I simply don't quite "get it".

There does seem to be something fairly deep here... life skills, various martial arts schools, cultivation, practice, spying, kidnapping, jail, patrols, etc...  However, it is all hidden by awful translation and an equally awful interface.  The only thing truly accessible is the cash shop :)

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        The martial arts and asian overtones of this game don't make it seem very appealing.....let us know when someone has a good fantasy sandbox

ArcheAge to name one, why hate so much. Maybe provide something constructive.

Wurm Online to

Originally posted by rwyan

I have attempted many times to play this game.  I've lost myself a few hours into this game here and there simply because I've tried to convince myself that the wonderfulness will just eventually reveal itself to me.  It seems many players experience some sort of epiphany at some point.... I simply don't quite "get it".

There does seem to be something fairly deep here... life skills, various martial arts schools, cultivation, practice, spying, kidnapping, jail, patrols, etc...  However, it is all hidden by awful translation and an equally awful interface.  The only thing truly accessible is the cash shop :)

hahah, cash shop translated perfectly, huh lol.

Ask questions. Ask a lot. if people don't respond by the 3 time, they don't know either. Instead of trying to learn how to do everything, I learned how to make my rounds. Focus on the things you need to do to make it through the day.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by IIIcurrier
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Sub + p2w cash shop?  Yeah I don't think so.

There's no subscription.

If you can only play an hour a day in this sort of game then a subscription is required.

Jesus on a stick,

This is only during CB2 as I just said last page on this very thread.

CB2 which is 8 more days. K? Comprehend? Got it now?

Don't get your big boy panties all in a twist.  I read what you wrote.  Where did they say it's only for their beta and what have they said their pricing plan is?  Just because you say something doesn't really mean anything, at all.

And let's be real here a paid closed beta is bullshit.  It's not a real beta if you're paying to play it.  It's a product they've sold.  You can slap "alpha" on it and it would still be crap.

Go to the site and read up a bit. I'm sure Grays frustration comes from all the info being a click away, if you're interested. 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/home/

I see that a lot with this game, a link to go read somewhere else instead of people just answering the question.  I looked at the front page and read the 3 question FAQ.  It doesn't say anything about 10 days free and one hour a day.  So it's obviously not just a click away.

The game sounded interesting, but if it's subscription or severely crippled and limited free play then I don't want to waste my time.

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now"

" Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

I finally found that. If you take the "home/" off the link then that blurb is shown on the page.

However, that doesn't answer my question or dismiss my point.  My point was that if you only get one hour a day as a free player then a subscription is required.  Then some emo dude nerd raged how it was only for closed beta and of course the fans all forum zerged to his defense without even thinking it through.

The game is in closed beta but there will be no character wipe.  You're essentially paying for the game now (soft launch) but it's a selective membership.  There isn't any indication that the business or payment model will change.  Thus my question, does anyone know for sure if the restrictions on free play will remain?  If so, then it's a funnel towards a cash shop and a subscription at once.  That's not something I'm interested in even if the game is decent.

I don't mind pay to win, most games have some measure of it in some form or another, but I'm not interested in a sub game anymore.  That's why I asked how the sub / free play thing works so I don't waste my time.

image This is your free option of CB2. 10 hours, then 1 hour per day. If you feel someone is trying to trick you, maybe you should wait...

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Unfortunately myself and most MMO players will never play a pay-2-rent style game.  I cannot stand the terribad azn MMO's popping out these days with rentable inventory, mounts, and other stuff.  If you pay money for a mount you should keep it forever.  If you pay money to unlock bag slots, you should keep forever.

I hope more players start to catch on that they should be paying for NEW content, not the ability to continue using old stuff...

Originally posted by Painlezz

Unfortunately myself and most MMO players will never play a pay-2-rent style game.  I cannot stand the terribad azn MMO's popping out these days with rentable inventory, mounts, and other stuff.  If you pay money for a mount you should keep it forever.  If you pay money to unlock bag slots, you should keep forever.

I hope more players start to catch on that they should be paying for NEW content, not the ability to continue using old stuff...

I've seen a lot confusion around this. 

Bag slots - Each tab (equipment, items, supplies etc) has 2 bag slots. These are permanent. They never leave. You place player made bags into those slots, 6, 8, 10 w/e. Those player made bags deteriorate. You do not buy "bag space from the cash shop." like you would buy inventory space in gw2. 

Costumes -  ig. GW2 boxing gloves, or TSW clothing sets. They deteriorate. Who wants to ware the samething for months though. If you do, what's wrong with paying 3 bucks? If they are guilty of trying to make money, it's here.

Mounts - You will have these coming out you arse. Unless things change, you will never have to buy a mount. 

Originally posted by bcbully

I finally found that. If you take the "home/" off the link then that blurb is shown on the page. However, that doesn't answer my question or dismiss my point.  My point was that if you only get one hour a day as a free player then a subscription is required.  Then some emo dude nerd raged how it was only for closed beta and of course the fans all forum zerged to his defense without even thinking it through. The game is in closed beta but there will be no character wipe.  You're essentially paying for the game now (soft launch) but it's a selective membership.  There isn't any indication that the business or payment model will change.  Thus my question, does anyone know for sure if the restrictions on free play will remain?  If so, then it's a funnel towards a cash shop and a subscription at once.  That's not something I'm interested in even if the game is decent. I don't mind pay to win, most games have some measure of it in some form or another, but I'm not interested in a sub game anymore.  That's why I asked how the sub / free play thing works so I don't waste my time.

image This is your free option of CB2. 10 hours, then 1 hour per day. If you feel someone is trying to trick you, maybe you should wait...

I never said anything about tricking.  It's a simple question.  The game is in soft launch.  Will the free play system remain as it is with time restrictions or will it be different?  What is the payment system going to be like?  What will be accessible and what will be restricted?

You know, for answers that are just one click away no one seems to be able to answer my question.  You can imagine the frustration I'm sure.

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2628