Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

AoW already has something like 20 million people playing it (the new "king of MMO's" i guess?) . I can't wait to see what the fuss is about.   

Do you have a source for that 20 mill? I know it's the most played game in China, but haven't been able to find the numbers.

Yeah i know it's the most played MMO in china but i haven't been able to find any population figures.

Well it's understandable that it's huge in China.It's set in the most popular genre in China(Wuxia) during it's most venerated historical peiod(Ming Dynasty).The fact that it's a well thought out game with decent gameplay mechanics behind it is a bonus.

Whether that leads to success outside of Chinese communities around the wrold is yet to be seen but thne again it doesn't need to succeed outside that demographic to be a huge financial success.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

AoW already has something like 20 million people playing it (the new "king of MMO's" i guess?) . I can't wait to see what the fuss is about.   

Do you have a source for that 20 mill? I know it's the most played game in China, but haven't been able to find the numbers.

Yeah i know it's the most played MMO in china but i haven't been able to find any population figures.

Well it's understandable that it's huge in China.It's set in the most popular genre in China(Wuxia) during it's most venerated historical peiod(Ming Dynasty).The fact that it's a well thought out game with decent gameplay mechanics behind it is a bonus.

Whether that leads to success outside of Chinese communities around the wrold is yet to be seen but thne again it doesn't need to succeed outside that demographic to be a huge financial success.

In prison AGAIN, but sometimes I set back (like now) and marvel at the emotion this game is evoking from me. I'm relieved to be arrested atm. The life of a criminal is hard... Always looking over your shoulder.

It's not all peaches and cream out here. Lot's of ups and downs. OMGWTF did I just do!? all the way to mutherf%4 I'm going to kill you and anyone who looks like you. The range of emotions I've had over the past week and a half playing this game has created a attachment to my character (surprised so fast), and friends. I've made about 20 of them and talk to any number throught the day. I've made 6 enemies too image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    With one hour a day freeplay unless you pay, even during Beta, which they don't tell you about until youv'e downloaded and registered it all.....
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Rilman
    With one hour a day freeplay unless you pay, even during Beta, which they don't tell you about until youv'e downloaded and registered it all.....

It is on the very first page on ageofwushu.com

right under the huge red try it now

"Try Age of Wushu for free!

With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

This is only for the closed beta.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Sub + p2w cash shop?  Yeah I don't think so.

There's no subscription.

Originally posted by GrayKodiak

With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

That might be what it says but when you login you get a popup that says you can play for one hour per day,

I mean really, an hour in an MMO in a Beta test? 

Wtf is the point?

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

That might be what it says but when you login you get a popup that says you can play for one hour per day,

I mean really, an hour in an MMO in a Beta test? 

Wtf is the point?

I am using the trial to see if I like the game or not, i think that is the point.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

There's no subscription.

If you can only play an hour a day in this sort of game then a subscription is required.

Jesus on a stick,

This is only during CB2 as I just said last page on this very thread.

CB2 which is 8 more days. K? Comprehend? Got it now?

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I wish every MMO could say things like this:

There has been some confusion regarding the consequences for deleting a character that we want to clear up. Let me start by saying that Age of Wushu is an unconventional MMO in many ways. The focus isn't on leveling as quickly as possible to reach an endgame, but instead participating in a persistent and living world. There are many features that encourage this, from characters remaining in game while offline to the emphasis on a player-driven economy. Age of Wushu encourages a connection with a single character, and the journey from newcomer to master.

Simply put, the game was not made to support "alts." Each account is only allowed a single character for this reason. The choices you make are intended to have consequences.

The choices you make are intended to have consequences..

I have been enjoying my time in the Age of Wushu..

Recommended.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Vyeth

There has been some confusion regarding the consequences for deleting a character that we want to clear up. Let me start by saying that Age of Wushu is an unconventional MMO in many ways. The focus isn't on leveling as quickly as possible to reach an endgame, but instead participating in a persistent and living world. There are many features that encourage this, from characters remaining in game while offline to the emphasis on a player-driven economy. Age of Wushu encourages a connection with a single character, and the journey from newcomer to master.

Simply put, the game was not made to support "alts." Each account is only allowed a single character for this reason. The choices you make are intended to have consequences.

Recommended.

Yeah, if your in Age Of Wushu then your in it for the long run. Not since EQ has their been an MMO(EXCEPT EVE) that encourages the player to stick with the one character.

You really have no choice but to build your character through hard work and dedication.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

There's no subscription.

If you can only play an hour a day in this sort of game then a subscription is required.

Jesus on a stick,

Don't get your big boy panties all in a twist.  I read what you wrote.  Where did they say it's only for their beta and what have they said their pricing plan is?  Just because you say something doesn't really mean anything, at all.

And let's be real here a paid closed beta is bullshit.  It's not a real beta if you're paying to play it.  It's a product they've sold.  You can slap "alpha" on it and it would still be crap.

Go to the site and read up a bit. I'm sure Grays frustration comes from all the info being a click away, if you're interested. 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/home/

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

I see that a lot with this game, a link to go read somewhere else instead of people just answering the question.  I looked at the front page and read the 3 question FAQ.  It doesn't say anything about 10 days free and one hour a day.  So it's obviously not just a click away.

The game sounded interesting, but if it's subscription or severely crippled and limited free play then I don't want to waste my time.

Yeah, god forbid you should have to spend some money on your entertainment, or waste your precious time reading up on how the CB works! I mean you ARE entitled to limitless free entertainment and people serving you all the information you require, right? After all, it's very important to all of us that you enjoy yourself here.

I'm sure you've got a lot of important stuff to do right now so let me break it down for you real fast:

You get ten hours of free playtime when you log in, and then 60 minutes each day after that during the remaining CB2. When the game launches, you will have unlimited free playtime with the option to purchase perks like VIP access (offline leveling basically), convenience items and cosmetic stuff from the cs. Right now there's a "Deluxe" package on sale for $20 that gives 60 days VIP access + some gold, a mount and some other stuff. 

If you don't feel like spending any money you can just make a new account on another email account and you get ten hours more, on a new char ofc but still. 

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

So basically this is a F2P game, but has a sub for VIP access which allows for offline leveling?  Is that about right? 

Clever, and a good deal for some, but no sub fees for me.  So I'll have to pass on this.  If there was a one time payment for VIP access then I'd do that.  But if its just something I have to pay for monthly, nah....not interested. 

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Corehaven

So basically this is a F2P game, but has a sub for VIP access which allows for offline leveling?  Is that about right? 

Clever, and a good deal for some, but no sub fees for me.  So I'll have to pass on this.  If there was a one time payment for VIP access then I'd do that.  But if its just something I have to pay for monthly, nah....not interested. 

I'm not sure how the model will work when the game releases, but yes, that's basically how things are now. If you don't want to pay for VIP access by the month or whatever you can always buy gold and use it to level individual skills.

You will also be able to play the game for free and just level your skills while online. It will take considerably longer for you to reach higher levels, but since AoW features different ways of powerleveling in-game (the group minigame of team practice being one of the most effective) you'll be able to catch up anyway if you're willing to put in the hours. 

Well I won't play it just because I don't like the way they expect you to pay to beta test it, I play subsciption mmo's and have no problem paying, I'm not paying to beta test for them, thats just a liberty.
  • IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

There's no subscription.

Jesus on a stick,

Don't get your big boy panties all in a twist.  I read what you wrote.  Where did they say it's only for their beta and what have they said their pricing plan is?  Just because you say something doesn't really mean anything, at all.

And let's be real here a paid closed beta is bullshit.  It's not a real beta if you're paying to play it.  It's a product they've sold.  You can slap "alpha" on it and it would still be crap.

Go to the site and read up a bit. I'm sure Grays frustration comes from all the info being a click away, if you're interested. 

I see that a lot with this game, a link to go read somewhere else instead of people just answering the question.  I looked at the front page and read the 3 question FAQ.  It doesn't say anything about 10 days free and one hour a day.  So it's obviously not just a click away.

The game sounded interesting, but if it's subscription or severely crippled and limited free play then I don't want to waste my time.

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now"

" Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    And already been stated anything in item shop is obtainable without purchase from item shop.
  • engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    open world housing and/or seiges or GTFO.

played a million mmo's

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Too bad this is one of those games where the programmers apparantly can't figure out how to put in an invertable mouse.  

Not going to play a 'reflexes' type game, where I can't set up the controls the way I prefer.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Front page, right hand corner saying "try it now"

" Try Age of Wushu for free! With the start of the beta Dec 20th all registered players can explore the grandeur of Age of Wushu –for free! – on a limited trial basis. 10 hours of free play, with 60 minutes per day after"

I can't see that anywhere. I've got 'buy now' and 'download'.

Its Pay to play beta which is a joke to be honest. It didn't say you could only play for one hour a day until I'd read all the website introduction, downloaded the game, made an account, installed the game, then came the one hour pop-up when I first logged in, I'm annoyed because it wasted my time, if I knew it was a pay to play Beta frigging test I never would have downloaded it in the first place. I posted on their forums and there was a dozen people replied aggreeing with me saying it was basically shite and they should tell you this first, it all seems a little underhand to me,  get you to install their game, make and account and THEN tell you you have to pay, to Beta test?

If its not a Beta then don't tell me its a beta, its its an hour trial for 10 days then say so, don't try to trick people into installing the game and then tell them, the whole thing just comes of as dishonest trickery to get peoples money.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Sounds good, though the cash shop affair worries me.

I'm wondering if the EU "Age of Wulin" version, which is managed by gpotato, will have a similar cash shop. I really hope not.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I'm wondering if the EU "Age of Wulin" version, which is managed by gpotato, will have a similar cash shop. I really hope not.

I am sure it will have vanity items in the cash shop. What about vanity items is cause for worry?

The chinese cash shop worries me, it has skills.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I am sure it will have vanity items in the cash shop. What about vanity items is cause for worry?

The massively article talks about paying to level up your skills and renting items for money.

Both are not really appealing to me.

Will still try the game even if the EU version has the same deal though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

The massively article talks about paying to level up your skills and renting items for money.

Both are not really appealing to me.

Will still try the game even if the EU version has the same deal though.

The items it talks about are the vanity items,

the leveling up your skill for money is not cash shop related but related to the prayer event going on where you can pray and get random rewards including some exp pills I belive not useful to me as my exp is normally maxxed anyway and I have way too much cultivation points to spend unless I take a week from getting anymore.

The biggest potential gripe is the ability to do martial arts training for silver coins (which you can get with real money) this can be used to speed up the process. I bought 3 dollars worth of gold coins to test it out, it took about two hours off of my skill cultivation time. To me it is not worth it but yes I suppose someone could drop 300 dollars and speed it up considerably. Lotro has exp books in the cash shop, Eve has plex..it is almost become the norm that if you are dead set on spending real money you can get an advantage (Wow has gold farmers and multi account users).

You can do the same martial arts training with coins you earn from being a crafter, you don't have to be spending real money on it. I would like to see a cap on how many coins you can buy with real money per day or week or something but I doubt that would happen.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Vyeth

Recommended.

This is the part that grabbed my attention.

"Elite and Deluxe Edition Rewards will not be sent to characters created after a character is deleted and a new one is created.

VIP Status will remain, regardless of character deletion.

It's important to be absolutely sure before making any lasting decisions. If you need help or information on which school you should join, there are many resources available, including our very own Schools forum as well as the School Spotlights posted on our official site.

Additionally, you are free to use other Snail Accounts to create free trials and use the allotted 10 hours to evaluate a school before choosing on your main account."

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2101

Should have been a message to people when they were buying the game that this was what would happen. Either way people should be sent their elite and deluxe rewards regardless if they reroll, seems real shoddy to me.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot