Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No chat bubbles again ?

Comments

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

oh god... chat bubbles

can you imagine the exploits this would cause.

i can see it now. players fill their chat bar with spaces letters and gibberish, maxing out the allotted chat bar. then go about business.  once pvp happens they hit enter twice, unleashing a screen blocking chat bubble, blocking the attackers view of the battle field.

now imagine this during a siege with hundreds of players blotting out the sky with chat bubbles as they advance on the confused and blinded opponents.

people had no issues RPing in 1.0...in fact it was kinda funny how much people RP'ed in this game.  but chat bubbles...nah...makes the game feel like some childish cartoon, they get annoying, i can see what you type in the chat box anyway.  

No one complained about this in Mortal online. This is an fps game so its gonna be different from your typical wow and tweaked.

The difference with others mmo's you can usually zoom outt he camera so ridiculously far, that if chat bubble wasnt taking over the screen, it wouldnt be possible to read. For an fps game, if you limit it, it wont be hard to read since your your camera is right behind your character or in your face.

Look at the way mortal online do it before you make fun of the system again.

Battle Saint were the only known RPers. The rest left the game.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Today, someone made an other thread about bubble chat.

Guess what? 2 pages and Everyone in the thread wants it. No one is against it so far.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Today, someone made an other thread about bubble chat.

Guess what? 2 pages and Everyone in the thread wants it. No one is against it so far.

you dont think that has anything to do with this string do you?

lol..

yeah ok.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by StarI
    I think it's prett clear that chat bubbles would be a good feature we could  love and use however a list of such features is quite long and this one is and should be particularly low on to do list. Remember it's AV we talk about.

aside from totally disagreeing with you lets get a bit more technical for a second.

have you ever been in combat with a team member who was not on voice and you had to text him?

baaahhhhhhh hysterical massive fail...

No, thats hysterical epic fail.

Bad players will always be bad at communicating. With or without voice comms.

text chat while in combat is a reasonable possible win?

[mod edit]

I think it's prett clear that chat bubbles would be a good feature we could  love and use however a list of such features is quite long and this one is and should be particularly low on to do list. Remember it's AV we talk about.

aside from totally disagreeing with you lets get a bit more technical for a second.

have you ever been in combat with a team member who was not on voice and you had to text him?

[mod edit]

Im not trolling cuz this is not suppose to be counter strike. Its an mmorpg after all. You dont just communicate to win your battles. I dont need to explain that common sense, but you make me feel like there's more like you who lack basic knowledge.

[mod edit]

Im not trolling cuz this is not suppose to be counter strike. Its an mmorpg after all. You dont just communicate to win your battles. I dont need to explain that common sense, but you make me feel like there's more like you who lack basic knowledge.

1. we are not talking about how things 'should' be we are talking about how things actually are in darkfall

2. I didnt say 'communicate' I said text and you know it. In Darkfall texting while in combat against other players is almost always going to get you killed. The fact that you are advertising that you dont know this is rather odd

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

1. we are not talking about how things 'should' be we are talking about how things actually are in darkfall

2. I didnt say 'communicate' I said text and you know it. In Darkfall texting while in combat against other players is almost always going to get you killed. The fact that you are advertising that you dont know this is rather odd

So you are taking the idea of adding chat bubbles and putting in an example that using it in combat will get you killed?!  That is your logic?  Your reasoning?  You are afraid if chat bubbles were implemented that people would stop fighting to send out chat box smack talk?

Originally posted by Badaboom

So you are taking the idea of adding chat bubbles and putting in an example that using it in combat will get you killed?!  That is your logic?  Your reasoning?  You are afraid if chat bubbles were implemented that people would stop fighting to send out chat box smack talk?

what I just posted one could call a side point, not directly related to should chat bubbles be put in the game or not because my comment is relating to texting regardless of the format thus it doesnt directly apply to the chat buddle arguement but is an intresting side note that in an abstract way does relate.

do you understand?

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    think mo has chat bubbles so i see no real reason why DF cant have them.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by deathshroud

Unlike MO, Darkfall supports large scale battles. Can you imagine a few hundred people with chat bubbles? FAIL!

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Originally posted by Hancakes

Unlike MO, Darkfall supports large scale battles. Can you imagine a few hundred people with chat bubbles? FAIL!

Actually, my friend. There's a bigger chance on being able to see what the enemy player said to you with chat bubbles even so if there is a big scale battle, very little sure. Yet, a lot more than without. Think about it. You can't possibly withstand the trouble of scrolling up your chat in hopes of finding what someone said.

Really? It's like your post was turned upside down. Chat Bubbles only benefit big scale conversations in the effort of which you might be talking to someone in front of you. You will, evidently, only need to look above that said char to see what he spoke. On the other hand, if it were without you'd have to trouble yourself to examine the chat-box where as hundreds of others will experience the problem. Hope that englightened you, good sir.

So. All things given to account. It is -not- a fail but the opposite.

Good day.

Originally posted by winghaven1

Actually, my friend. There's a bigger chance on being able to see what the enemy player said to you with chat bubbles even so if there is a big scale battle, very little sure. Yet, a lot more than without. Think about it. You can't possibly withstand the trouble of scrolling up your chat in hopes of finding what someone said.

Really? It's like your post was turned upside down. Chat Bubbles only benefit big scale conversations in the effort of which you might be talking to someone in front of you. You will, evidently, only need to look above that said char to see what he spoke. On the other hand, if it were without you'd have to trouble yourself to examine the chat-box where as hundreds of others will experience the problem. Hope that englightened you, good sir.

Good day.

Are you joking?

Why would I care what someone said in large scale PvP? Any guild/clan worth anything in the PvP realm is going to use voice comms. Chat bubble have no place in DF and need to stay in the bubblegum MMOs. Heck, maybe we can even add floating damage next to the chat bubbles. image

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by winghaven1

Good day.

Are you joking?

Why would I care what someone said in large scale PvP? Any guild/clan worth anything in the PvP realm is going to use voice comms. Chat bubble have no place in DF and need to stay in the bubblegum MMOs. Heck, maybe we can even add floating damage next to the chat bubbles. image

those ARE the same kind of things.

however NEITHER OF THEM would change anything about the nature of the game.  

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

it is you who apparently has no imagination.

all the naysaying examples i've seen are completely braindead logic fails, that should be recognized as such as soon as you type the words.  

but instead of logic you are too busy categorizing MMOs as "bubblegum" or not.   

more logic, less "my MMOs are underground hardcore macho manly man stuff" non-sense that really says nothing and has no bearing on the topic at hand.

Corpus Callosum    

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by corpusc

all the naysaying examples i've seen are completely braindead logic fails, that should be recognized as such as soon as you type the words.  

more logic, less "my MMOs are underground hardcore macho manly man stuff" non-sense that really says nothing and has no bearing on the topic at hand.

Here's some logic for you: Asking Aventurine to code anything extra could have widespread detrimental effects on the entire game possibly delaying this iterations release by months due to their coders (interns).

Chat bubbles work well in some MMO games, not well in others.  This is something that is not currently coded into the game, and as such is much more likely to be detrimental from a dev competence standpoint.

Edit: I should note that I based this logic on the previous Darkfall and this ones beta version.  In other words, they considered this one ready for release when it was in a nearly unplayable state.  If you use the queue as an example, the chat bubbles would pile up on your screen and never disappear only add more until you had no hope of seeing anything.  To think that Aventurine could code this feature without any bugs or shortcomings is very naive and unrealistic.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Here's some logic for you: Asking Aventurine to code anything extra could have widespread detrimental effects on the entire game possibly delaying this iterations release by months due to their coders (interns).

Chat bubbles work well in some MMO games, not well in others.  This is something that is not currently coded into the game, and as such is much more likely to be detrimental from a dev competence standpoint.

coding time as a reason for debate, is a general purpose concern that is reasonable to bring up in most situations

which has nothing to do with whether or not its a good feature.  WHICH is what i & pretty much everyone else was talking about.

AND... for people with 3D coding experience, its known to be an extremely easy to implement feature (we're talking minutes), unlike %99.9 of the features that could be discussed.

Corpus Callosum    

coding time as a reason for debate, is a general purpose concern that is reasonable to bring up in most situations

which has nothing to do with whether or not its a good feature.  WHICH is what i & pretty much everyone else was talking about.

AND... for people with 3D coding experience, its known to be an extremely easy to implement feature (we're talking minutes), unlike %99.9 of the features that could be discussed.

Easy?  such as subtracting a number when someone leaves a queue or gets in?  I mean if subtraction requires debugging for days...

I am not against any new features for the game of course.   I'm not saying they should never code anything because they aren't any good at it.  I just think they have much bigger fish to fry for the time being.  With a couple more years dev time they'll have the game in a release state and then can work on adding and improving I think.

If you use the queue as an example, the chat bubbles would pile up on your screen and never disappear only add more until you had no hope of seeing anything.  

here you go with the #1 recurring logic fail in the thread....

even if this DID happen.....

how is this gonna be a problem for people who use the OPTION to turn it off?

Corpus Callosum    

Easy?  such as subtracting a number when someone leaves a queue or gets in?  I mean if subtraction requires debugging for days...

yes, subtracting a number is easy.  we have to be able to have a sense of isolation of issues when we talk.

if you wanna get into "this code is tied to that code, therefore everything is complicated".......... i don't wanna discuss obvious things.

Corpus Callosum    

If you use the queue as an example, the chat bubbles would pile up on your screen and never disappear only add more until you had no hope of seeing anything.  

Right, right.  Those who turn off the feature won't be subjected to the bugs.  And those who want to use the feature and who try to use it will expreience the bugs.  So logically the best solution to not have any bugs for anyone because of it is to not implement it.

You really made that one easy :

newsflash.   programs have bugs.  therefore lets not do anything with them for fear of bugs.

i hope you're not a programmer.  well actually, with that attitude you MUST NOT be, whether you have an interest or not.  8)  cuz you'd never do anything if you weren't willing to risk having bugs to deal with.

Corpus Callosum    

yes, subtracting a number is easy.  we have to be able to have a sense of isolation of issues when we talk.

if you wanna get into "this code is tied to that code, therefore everything is complicated".......... i don't wanna discuss obvious things.

Actually I meant they couldn't do something incredibly simple.  You say a chat bubble is very simple.  The key tying it together, is Aventurine coders.  The two systems are unrelated to each other, but because both are coded by the same people, that is where the problem lies.

Right, right.  Those who turn off the feature won't be subjected to the bugs.  And those who want to use the feature and who try to use it will expreience the bugs.  So logically the best solution to not have any bugs for anyone because of it is to not implement it.

You really made that one easy :

newsflash.   programs have bugs.  therefore lets not do anything with them for fear of bugs.

i hope you're not a programmer.  well actually, with that attitude you MUST NOT be, whether you have an interest or not.  8)  cuz you'd never do anything if you weren't willing to risk having bugs to deal with.

Bugs happen, debugging can take time.  Aventurine should have been an organization for entomologists with how they love to have these in great number.

The key thing here is that Aventurine has a staggering history of poor implementation, coding, terrible communication and overall failure.

It isn't so much that bugs occur, it's that with Aventurine behind the wheel, the game won't be what it could have been with a competent dev team at the helm.

ok.  well we already have Zyzra and a few other special individuals to harp on that plenty enough already.  8)

Corpus Callosum    

ok.  well we already have Zyzra and a few other special individuals to harp on that plenty enough already.  8)

Overall, I simply feel they should get things functional, polished, and fun before attempting additions and changes.

I've heard the UI was this Darkfall iteration's greatest improvement, so maybe they should mess with that last eh?

Maybe chat bubbles will work nice, but now is not the time for them to think of adding such a thing.

You can cry about it all you want, its not going to happen. Why should AV bother coding a feature that really adds nothing to the game and will be disabled by a majority of players? I'm sorry the current system distracts from your cybering, deal with it.