Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat sucks... why so much hype?

CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
This game is nothing but recycled non skill based auto target fighting. Why do you people hype it up so much?

Comments

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Theres a big diff from actually trying it out yourself and watching someone else figthing. Perhaps you have tried it, but I havent - and yet it feels good. Especially now collision works with spells/abilities on target. Tab target combat can be done if done right.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Because of the other features...?
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

So-so combat is fine if the entire package is feature rich.  I haven't played it so I am not conceding it is so-so - I simply don't know but I give you the benefit of the doubt.

There are plenty of arena-style games out there that have great PVP.  Archeage is not really designed to compete with them.  It is a virtual world of which PVP is only one of many things you can do.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Nacario
    Theres a big diff from actually trying it out yourself and watching someone else figthing. Perhaps you have tried it, but I havent - and yet it feels good. Especially now collision works with spells/abilities on target. Tab target combat can be done if done right.

Combat is the weakest feature of AA. I had a chance to play the game and i am not impressed by it at all. I don't know about you guys but for me combat makes or breaks the game.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    if combat were the only thing that mattered we'd all be playing Tera.
  • coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    Easy. The features it offers besides combat. I honestly hate when games focus only on combat. It ruins the game and kills it for me. It gets so repetitive that I can't play it anymore if combat is ALL it offers. Just like GW2 and pretty much.... all other MMO's that I've played only offer combat... If it has any other features they always seem like less work was put into them. It just really kills the game for me if all it has to offer is combat imo.
  • CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    I see. I didn't mean it to come off like you all were dumb for liking this, I was just curious as to why the population is reverting again. This game does seem feature enriched... but as a lot of us come to such games to fight (not all of us I know) I just don't see how the hype can be so high on a WoW style combat.
  • coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    It's fine. I didn't think you were! :) Being curious is fine!
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355

FPS combat isn't really better combat, its quicker and more fluid and comes down to speed but an MMO world is so much more. For me personally FPS type combat in a MMO stresses mi out because it dominates the gameplay to such an extent that everything else is just so far removed from combat. Not sure if I am making sense but FPS and MMO for me still do not fit.

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Its that big hype,yet maybe over korea sure but specially Europe i doubt its so hyped.Archage is cool cause u can bulilt stuff and sail stuff and other stuff where aint available in most mmos
  • ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

EVE Online's combat isn't all that great either, it's other features that draw players in. Same will be with ArchAge imo. A good looking sandbox fantasy MMORPG, with deep class system, deep crafting, lots of features and objectives for guilds (get lands, build cities, rent those lands to other people etc.).

It might flop or it might prosper, only time will tell.

Cheers.

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

More great responses. I can see where you guys are coming from. I'm currently dedicated to Mortal Online and it's pretty much the opposite of ArcheAge. It has amazing combat and huge adrenaline rush and all.. but it severely lacks features to keep me busy beyond the normal. I would still like to see a game like Archeage with some kind of free form action combat. That'd be cool. Maybe Elder Scrolls Online will bring that!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Thanks for asking this question OP. Where can I find out more about AA combat - with perhaps examples?

I'm interested in what their design intention is with it. :)

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Exactly.

TERA has the best combat system ever. But the game does not have any end-game content worth the effort.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by RedJorge
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

Exactly.

TERA has the best combat system ever. But the game does not have any end-game content worth the effort.

Always been Tera's achilles heal. Seems there's more content coming through - finally, although the western market may have to wait behind the korean version.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    failpost, sry
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    To me it's more about the motivating forces behind the combat. When there's a malleable world to fight for it gives you more reason to care about the outcome instead of this battleground lobby garbage where it's just about racking up numbers to stroke your epeen. RP is a huge factor and having a world worth RPing in makes for a good game. And by RPing I don't mean going around emoting and putting on a play. In character actions like the farmer defending his crop or the assassin knifing somebody are real role playing actions that lead to situations that make the world alive, dynamic, and interesting.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I take tab-target combat any day over FPS in a MMORPG.

FPS is good for shooters where there's not that many people running around, but it's just not for massive battles with hundreds of players in your FoV.

Imagine EvE Online sized battles but with Freelancer-controls... it would be nothing but a big mess.

ArcheAge is the first MMO in years with a feature-set reminiscent of EvE Online and alot of people wait for a MMO like that but without the spaceships. ArcheAge will not be a MMO for the action-oriented players with short attention spans, but for those, who are intrerested in building and destroying empires over the years.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Yalexy, kind of like this?

Okay, so maybe it's not hundreds of players, but the concept and the framework is certainly there, along with the techincal know-how to support that kind of interaction should the playerbase arrive.

A couple more examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fbtO_bc_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtO9hJsIJrs

It works pretty well, from my perspective.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Yalexy, kind of like this?Okay, so maybe it's not hundreds of players, but the concept and the framework is certainly there, along with the techincal know-how to support that kind of interaction should the playerbase arrive.A couple more examples:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fbtO_bc_ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtO9hJsIJrsIt works pretty well, from my perspective.

2 plugs in 10 minutes, your on a roll.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Yalexy, kind of like this?Okay, so maybe it's not hundreds of players, but the concept and the framework is certainly there, along with the techincal know-how to support that kind of interaction should the playerbase arrive.A couple more examples:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-fbtO_bc_ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtO9hJsIJrsIt works pretty well, from my perspective.

I'm not speaking of technical possibilities, but of playability.

The biggest battles I've taken part in EvE Online involved some 2500 pilots, with some 1500 within sight of each other at certain points during the battle.
    With the FPS-controls of Freelancer, or in your example Vendetta, you'll simply loose the overview and get lost in a massive zergfest. Something I definately wouldn't enjoying.

The focus in such massive fights should allways be on tactics and setups, and not on twitching skills, because twitching-skills don't help you that much, if you're surrounded by hundreds of other players loosing the overview over the battlefield and the situation.

If there would be a fight with hundreds of players in Vendetta, then it would come down to pure luck if you win or loose.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I'm very skeptical for reasons beyond just combat.  Even in the newest preview video, the water was spashing up from inside the ship as well as outside.  The game just looks glitchy, even in their own promotional videos.  Combat is one of many issues I'm concerned about.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Nacario

Combat is the weakest feature of AA. I had a chance to play the game and i am not impressed by it at all. I don't know about you guys but for me combat makes or breaks the game.

go play tera is u want combat...combat means nothing to me im allabout crafting and survival!

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by coltonjefferson
    Easy. The features it offers besides combat. I honestly hate when games focus only on combat. It ruins the game and kills it for me. It gets so repetitive that I can't play it anymore if combat is ALL it offers. Just like GW2 and pretty much.... all other MMO's that I've played only offer combat... If it has any other features they always seem like less work was put into them. It just really kills the game for me if all it has to offer is combat imo.

I like this. This sums up what i was goin to type. Combat is at the botom of the list of things i look for in a MMO.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Celusios
    This game is nothing but recycled non skill based auto target fighting. Why do you people hype it up so much?

really? that sounds horrible. Too bad, hoped for action combat 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !