Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Content Additions

13»

Comments

• OmniproOmnipro Member UncommonPosts: 23

The game evolved alot under new management and I returned to the game earlier this year and really enjoyed it. 

The combat always allowed you to move and plays into tactics as some mob attacks are ranged, and cone area based. Player and mob attacks had additional effects, or more damage depending what direction the attacks were coming from.  Yeah mages can move to avoid attacks, but casting was cancelled which is realistic. Tanks and damage dealers should be doing their job anyways, so mage classes shouldn't  need to move that much anyway. If you want to move around more get a melee job.

In FFXIV 1.0 combat was never repetitive unless your grinding or powerleving, and if your tasked with feteching mobs there were never that many unlike F2P MMOS or Tera where your assigned to fill up 50+ of the same mob. I liked Tera and bought it at release at $60 bucks for the collectors and got burned out on the monster grind. Quests and static characters had no soul or personality, so I returned to XI and XIV.

FFXIV ARR is in Alpha and is like a new game again, so don't hate on it until you played the final version in like a trial.

Aion
    Final Fantasy XI
    Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online

• Rizon538Rizon538 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i am looking forward to A Realm Reborn, but please Square Enix.... these videos show horrible static combat. That is a huge deal to me and im sure many people agrees. A game like Guild Wars 2 that doesnt even have a subscription managed to make active combat. If ARR reborn relaunches with this silly "my shoes are glued to the ground" combat i wont pay a subscription for it. That is enough deal breaker to me. Specially as a black mage. Add either instant cast or let casting work while moving. Or come up with something to make us more active while fighting.

Well, I think in the spirit of the Final Fantasy series combat isn't supposed to be run around action based. As it is it looks a lot quicker FFXI but I dont think most Final Fantasy fans want an action based combat.

The problem then comes down to how they intend to grow. I am a middling ff fan, I enjoyed a few of the games when I still played turn based console games, but the combat is very much a deal breaker. If I am not engaged by the combat, I simply cannot play it. 2.5 sec cast spells are insane, especially in the current playerbase. There is a reason why games like WoW instituted haste, and Rift has dropped the gcd for its classes to 1 sec. People prefer "faster" combat.

There are quite a bit of people that prefer the slower paced combat as well.  Also, combat isnt everything in a game for alot of people.  Look at Tera, i heard they have the best action combat out there and look how they're doing.  I enjoy the slow paced combat.  As long as there is content for me to do and it looks like they will have based on the just released beta road map, i'm a happy camper.

• Rizon538Rizon538 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Unlike many other MMOs SE believes inj true party interaction. While ARR will not have an action based system it will require you to coordinate your efforts with the other members to employ devistating attacks <Limit Breaks> In addition Haste was added as a Bard function and can be applied to all party members. Again remember in its heart FF MMOs are a party oriented games.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by neobahamut20
    The reason people like faster casting is because fighting tends to be a repetitive task. After killing 10 mobs, you know what rotation you need to press to kill the 50 next mobs, thus the need for fast-paced combat. If FFXIV goes slow paced, they need many mobs with many abilities so the player has to actually feel engaged in combat and has to react to actual situations. If you have to be a robot that waits and waits, people will leave. I'm sure Square understands what customers want, that's why they destroyed their first world, right?

No, the lack of content drove players away amongst some other things, not because there is a cast timer.  There doesnt seem to be any win which ever way SE does things, players complaining about copying elements of WoW to ARR, then there are players like you who want elements from games like WoW, where does it end, let the game be what it is, if you don't like it then don't play, simple.

Casting powerful spells shouldn't be able to be cast at the snap of a finger, the energy and focus to cast a spell should hinder a spell caster and not be instantanious, players would just end up burning all the spells in matter of seconds and run out of mana. Not sure if you played XI or FFXIV 1.0, but there was or is some tactics involved when fighting NM's end game bosses and requires mana management and with timers on spells also requires players to judge their timing on casting and when to rest to recuperate mana in long battles.  It is not like WoW where you continue to smash the same cycle until the mob is dead.

TBH i'd rather FFXIV to be a niche game, but business is business and SE want to make money, so they are trying to create a game that will do 2 things, keep the current FF fans happy and attract a larger player base, they won't please everyone from both parties, but credit where credit is due, at least they are trying, unlike some other developers that I don't care to mention.

• RaveiceRaveice Member Posts: 22

folks want it to be more action based mmo. But FF series is RPG and tactics. People who joined the FFXIV 1.0 early stage of the game should still remember it or ? It was sort of an Action-based combat system with lock on targets. Example: puglist you forced to use buttons to do right and left buttons or 1,2 button to make any damage  

2.0 is it still lock on target but you aren't permanently locked on target like in 1.0 or the worst part the animation there you used skill button and suddenly cant move away at all untill the skill was over.

If you played alpha test of 2.0 you could either do turn-based action like in the old FF games, stand there shoot w/e you want or jump around like a rabbit like in wow and still hit your target and it works pretty good with At least with Archer class but not lancer since most damage come from close combat..

What i saying is the game has a little action-based combat but it Isn't much like in Tera online or like in guildwars 2. But it's all about your own gameplay style. So i would say that game is both is for both fast and slow players.

• UrdenUrden Member UncommonPosts: 51
    i am looking forward to A Realm Reborn, but please Square Enix.... these videos show horrible static combat. That is a huge deal to me and im sure many people agrees. A game like Guild Wars 2 that doesnt even have a subscription managed to make active combat. If ARR reborn relaunches with this silly "my shoes are glued to the ground" combat i wont pay a subscription for it. That is enough deal breaker to me. Specially as a black mage. Add either instant cast or let casting work while moving. Or come up with something to make us more active while fighting.

Well, I think in the spirit of the Final Fantasy series combat isn't supposed to be run around action based. As it is it looks a lot quicker FFXI but I dont think most Final Fantasy fans want an action based combat.

The problem then comes down to how they intend to grow. I am a middling ff fan, I enjoyed a few of the games when I still played turn based console games, but the combat is very much a deal breaker. If I am not engaged by the combat, I simply cannot play it. 2.5 sec cast spells are insane, especially in the current playerbase. There is a reason why games like WoW instituted haste, and Rift has dropped the gcd for its classes to 1 sec. People prefer "faster" combat.

There are quite a bit of people that prefer the slower paced combat as well.  Also, combat isnt everything in a game for alot of people.  Look at Tera, i heard they have the best action combat out there and look how they're doing.  I enjoy the slow paced combat.  As long as there is content for me to do and it looks like they will have based on the just released beta road map, i'm a happy camper.

Tera is a horrible example for your position, as virtually everyone loved the combat. It was everything else they hated, to poor quests to lack of raids to poor pvp. A better example would have been Tsw as its combat is actually similar to that of the beloved Gw2, but it still fails to engage the user. Don't take me wrong, Gw2 combat does not engage me either, but that is mostly because it comes down to "spam 1 for success" more than anything.  The combat system will in and of itself not hold many, but it WILL sink the ship if its poor. Ryahl imparticular has tried explaining this away in other places with the analogy of chess versus speed chess, and for me atleast that gets to the very heart of the matter. Watching chess is boring if there is for example minutes between moves, but its much more exciting if there is only 20 seconds. Speed does matter. While I would not advocate true "action" combat, at the pace it is now I will fall asleep from boredom inbetween casts, which is absurd. I am not in alpha, so I do not know if ttk and the like is in a decent spot, but based on cast times alone, nothing should be over 2 seconds if you need to use it regularly, 1-1.5 would be ideal for me atleast.

As it is, I have yet to see anything in any of the videos that makes me want to play. What I have seen of the solo and group based content so far does not look like anything that we have not already seen. Even the mini game crafting comes off as blah, but thats because I do not care for those types of crafting systems. The aesthetics of the game are nice (except that ui, it clashes pretty badly) but aesthetics are meaningless when it does not offer anything that we do not already have.

You do not spam the 1 button in guild wars. You hit it once and it autoattacks. It cycles through the attacks one after the other that are associated with the 1 button. You never have to hit it again unless you change mobs. In the meantime, you focus on your other abilities after you hit the 1 (autoattack) button... once.

To each his own as far as how they like their combat. I for one do not like the slow glued to floor combat feel that is FFIV.  I think its holding back the game and if it isn't changed the game will never be the commercial success it set out to be. There will always be people who think the combat is fine, I just think they're in the minority.

Well, that and a few other things. need to be fixed.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

people keep asking for more fluid combat but what people dont understand is this is a final fantasy game , its not wow

its like turn based

• KrocusKrocus Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I played the initial release of FFXIV... for the most part it just felt like I was just playing a FFXI knockoff. I'm liking the changes I'm seeing in the videos with the new ARR so far. I wish their developers would just borrow a copy of WoW and EQ2 to see what they're up against here. I really want a Final Fantasy version of an MMORPG that can compete with those games! Can you say... "xml scriptable gui"? I'll be watching... *winkies*

• BegaTasyBegaTasy Member UncommonPosts: 32

I gotta say personally, while I loved grouping in FFXI, I did NOT enjoy the 5 hour wait in Dunes asking for a group. (an I was a Whm) I dread to think how bad it was for others. I am "hoping" thye bring back my favorite all time class that FFXI had. the beast tamer dude?? forget his name. but being able to chain tame mobs to fight for you while having to watch their agro control, was so much fun.

Pluss there are times you just want to go off an have fun on your own.

Originally posted by rush1984

people keep asking for more fluid combat but what people dont understand is this is a final fantasy game , its not wow

its like turn based

I just hope they dont make it wow in FF. It would be the worst thing possible to make it a wow clone.

+1

Agree, last thing I want to see is wow/rift spam play. FFXI was great because it didnt clone other games. It was its own game.