Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Would you do a Resident Evil online

RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Ive been playing Resident Evil Operation Racoon city. While the game itself is kinda lack luster, i can honestly say the XP system and skill system aren't that bad. Playing it makes me kinda want a Resident Evil online using the same type of layout. The only problem i currently see is content. While i can currently clear a entire Campaign or 2 in afew hours, the game would require a mass ammount of missions. If i had my way i would make both Solo and Group missions or Solo Versions and Group versions of missions.

The reason i can see REORC being better as a Purely online game is mainly cause my biggest beef with the game is the moronic AI. As it stands the AI makes me feel like i wanna rub a cheese grater on my head to simulate the annoyance it gives me. If i had actual people i would be a much happier person. But i hate random players i meet on console so... yeah.

Also in terms of PvP, I don't think a 2 or 3 faction system could work. Mainly cause there aren't 3 factions, hell there aren't even 2 factions. as it stands its random Corps/ "Terrorists" vs BSAA and Whatever help they get. So i think this would be a TSW Fight Club style pvp where there is a place people can all enter and duel it out for awhile. That or the arena that RE has been releasing over the passed few games.

So thats kinda what i think a Resident Evil online would play like. How would you do a Resident Evil online.

Because i can.
I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Rsident Evil makes for a good story, which usually makes for a crappy game, however I can't help but wonder how a RE themed/skinned version of Die2Nite would do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

For it to match something like Die2nite or DeadFrontier for instance, you would need the full apocolypse to happen. Which it turn it hasn't yet. This is kinda why my interest falls to it more than others. You can set up a mission based game which inbetween dueling and what not. Grind only really feels like grind if its not interactive. How many times have people played the campaign of shooters over and over and over while still enjoying it. Don't get me wrong i'm already defaulting this game to being a Themepark simply with how the story currently is. Making it a sandbox would be a VERY boring game waiting for somone to unleash a virus somewhere and so people can fight it, Or to look at it another way Very unrealistic with all the people you saw get zombified suddenly back and talking to you.

Maybe if they did it Episodic like The Walking dead, with the ability to give players a reason to log in before new content is released.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

Reverse the model for some fun.

You are an infected vs a hero.  You are released into cities and must infect the people.  The typical "heroes" that come in to destroy the infected are your "boss mobs" that you need to defeat to keep infecting places.

Not being a partially infected fighting zombies but being a zombie maker against those normal types and the partials being the bosses you need to defeat.

Really twiste it to the reverse.  It would be a unique approach and with modern anti-ethical ideologies, you'd probably garner a fairly decent fan base.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I would imagine a Resident Evil MMO would be a lot like Resident Evil Outbreak on the PS2 -- more PSO than EverQuest.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Hellgate: London without all the instancing. Bump up the graphics, give us the movement of Brink, then release us in a city we can fully explore without being locked into a single-mode progression. 

Though... after seeing the last Resident Evil movie they would probably have to make everything move in slow motion as well =/

Originally posted by Eleazaros

Reverse the model for some fun.

You are an infected vs a hero.  You are released into cities and must infect the people.  The typical "heroes" that come in to destroy the infected are your "boss mobs" that you need to defeat to keep infecting places.

Not being a partially infected fighting zombies but being a zombie maker against those normal types and the partials being the bosses you need to defeat.

Really twiste it to the reverse.  It would be a unique approach and with modern anti-ethical ideologies, you'd probably garner a fairly decent fan base.

I donno personally i think that would be boring as fuck. And not because of the idea so to speak, but as a MMO things need to stay persistant. That is a lobby game. As a lobby game it would be fine, Being a zombie or a tyrant or something like that would only be fun so long as you had people to constantly hunt.

Because i can.

The more I think about it, the Dead Island co-op system could prove a rather dynamic and immersive design for a survival MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by versulas

Hellgate: London without all the instancing. Bump up the graphics, give us the movement of Brink, then release us in a city we can fully explore without being locked into a single-mode progression. 

Though... after seeing the last Resident Evil movie they would probably have to make everything move in slow motion as well =/

The movies dont exist in my eyes, The CGI ones i can accept because they were done by Capcom and actually have something to do with the story. The live action movies are more like "wait there is zombies in it, that must mean its resident evil"

Played Hellgate london however as i said above, that is generally based on the apocolyps having happened. As it stands the world is still turning, With how long things go inbetween the cities that originally got hit (short of Racoon which at this point is a crater) Africa probubly was able to recover after they cleared out the Parasites, same with that small rural city from 4.

I donno if i would want to throw away the world like that to have a persistant Zombie Hell. There are other games that have that anyways.

Because i can.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    By doing the franchise a massive favor and not doing it.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    One of the things that makes RE and survival horror games in general what they are is due to their sense of isolation... you can't do that in an MMO which is precisely why survival horror cannot translate into one. You can have limited multiplayer but then it's just a lobby game...
    Originally posted by darkrain21
    By doing the franchise a massive favor and not doing it.

Depends, 90% of the fanbase is Foaming at the mouth in hatred of 5&6. Could be a saviour in disquise, or the final bullet. Either or the Fanbase would get what they want.

(TBH i enjoyed 6 i dont understand the hate on it)

Because i can.

Originally posted by Alberel
    One of the things that makes RE and survival horror games in general what they are is due to their sense of isolation... you can't do that in an MMO which is precisely why survival horror cannot translate into one. You can have limited multiplayer but then it's just a lobby game...

Very good point.

True enough, no matter which way you do it with the current setup it will end up lobby in some form. I guess i just want something i can play more than 4 or 5 times before ive done everything. MMO's seem to have a much larger size and Length to them which is the main reason i'd look at this. Each RE has left me wanting more.....  other than 5...

Because i can.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I saw this debated recently in regards to Dead Space (3?) having co-op. Magazine article, or Kotaku, or some such. They basically came to the same conclusion: sharing the game space takes away a large portion of what makes "survival horor" survival horror.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Wasn't there supposed to be a Resident Evil Online type deal at one point that was eventually scrapped? Seems like I read about it before...

Somehow, I don't see a survival horror making it to an MMO. As someone said before, the sense of isolation is half of what makes it horrific. There's a reason the new RE's, with their co-op and such, are not in the least bit scary, yet the original RE or the Gamecube remake are relatively scary.

This series is not made for an MMO, and it never will be. Then again, they're not exactly doing the series any favors by moving it towards action and less horror. Resident Evil 4 was pretty awesome, and had its scary moments, but that was the end of it. The series is now about action and little else.

This series will never successfully be made into an MMO. At least, it'll never successfully be made into an MMO that is actually a survival horror.

Well lets face the facts. as it stands there are 2 forms of horror.

1. AHH ZOMBIES, wait, i have 4 guns with obscene amounts of ammo. PFFT zombies.

and

2. Area is creepy... ok... nothing happening yet. Oh something is definately gonna pop out of that closet... hmm nothing... Maybe this one..... ok still nothing.... God damnet will something jump out at me already!!!

2 is obviously the scarrier version because you create your own fear in your head. however the longer you push a series, specially one like Resident evil that is told on a global scale. the harder it is to imagine people NOT being prepared. So at that point you need to take that game and bring in a investigative side of it. if anyone played RE5 Gold and did the bonus mission with Chris and Jill then you would know that the capasity to be creeped out and put on edge is still there. Leons campaign in 6 started off that way too.

Because i can.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

There's one way I can see this working out. Players can be infected, survivors, or the corp. This can still present a sense of isolation for survivors while still having a massive amount of players. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Sora2810

There's one way I can see this working out. Players can be infected, survivors, or the corp. This can still present a sense of isolation for survivors while still having a massive amount of players. 

As for the Timeline maybe Racoon city and your just some schmuck who got stuck in the crossfire.

Honestly if the content is released often enough i wouldnt mind a lobby game version of it. I do like the group system in Operation Racoon city though. Has a nice dynamic when played right.

Because i can.