Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: A New Year, A New Character

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As 2013 looms on the horizon, many Guild Wars 2 players are starting to think of rolling a new character. In today's GW2 column, we take a look at that and what type of characters might be a great fit. Check it out and then let us know what type of character you're planning to start in the comments.

I’ve been playing the same character since launch, only slightly dabbling in other professions.  I’ve seen much of the world and fought so many enemies.  There are still things for me to accomplish, but I got the itch to start something new.  A new profession, a new race, and a new personal story all add up to many more months of play time. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: A New Year, A New Character.

Some players love to make really goofy looking characters. Maybe I should go for a mouth-breathing nerdy IT Asuran.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    I played an Ele to 64 at launch and I just got the itch to try something new.  I chose to make a norn warrior since I loved the norn story.  I hated my warrior in beta, but decided to give it another shot since I too wanted to try melee.  I ended up having a ton of fun and couldn't go back to my ele.  I am now an 80 warrior and I have to say the itch is coming on again.
  • Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Having a blast with my norn ranger..:) next char will be a warrior or gurdian
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Been there, done that.....

Already have one of each race, and one of each class, got four 80's all with full exotic, main with full ascended and legendary, lowest level alt is 46.

Only way it would be a case of new year, new character for me, would be if they introduced a new race or class.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

Been working a couple new characters myself... The guard is all decked out.  2013 should be one hell of a year!

Also, you sound like a very productive and busy person Byr :)

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    IF deciding between war or guard, go warrior. much more flexibility in playstyle. War seems a pretty straightforward class, but all the different ways you can spec really make it complex.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I will be playing GW2 alot more in 2013. These jumping puzzles have really sparked my interest more in the game. I will admit at first I wasn't that impressed, but if I look back on my gaming history, I am always very reserved in the beggining. My dilemma as usual is just what profession to roll and stick with.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Does tempt me to do the same making a new game, maybe not in GW2 (bores me) but I'm sure another game it could be interesting to roll something new, or perhaps just try out a game I never fully gave a chance in the past.

Either way its always entertaining to see just what might come.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Good luck with that.  Starting a second character is when the game became a bore to me.  And that was after 3 weeks of playing my mesmer to 80 and getting full map completion and exotics and crafting up.  This game just doesn't have me going alt crazy the way WoW did or even the way FFXI did(although that was more job crazy than alt crazy, same character different job).  Really wish the FFXI job system would be copied by someone, but anyway

GW2s issue is longevity.  It doesn't have any.  When they fix that, I'll be back and praising the game.  Until then, it doesn't deserve the MMORPG label, at least not my idea of an MMORPG.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    After hitting 80 on my awesome guardian and outfitting him in exotics I finally broke down and started an eke. She just hit level 35. I am enjoying my 2nd run through even more than my first. What a great game this is.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Charr Warrior in the works. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Timely post.  I have been playing my 80 Norn ranger for awhile now and was thinking to make a new character.  I made a Norn Guardian.  Maybe I'll change my mind and go warrior? 

Not sure how much I'll play the alt though as my main still keeps me busy.  Trying for that 100% map completion, and it is one BIG world.

* I would have picked a different race but I think for female characters the Norn have the best hair styles.  It's a shame the human hairstyles are not the same or as good.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Ha, ha, ha, ... this would be possible to me only if Gw2 introduces new class. :-) As altholic I have all possible alts, truth is however I guess only in Wow and Swtor I will always have full set.  Guess will have a lot of them also in Gw2.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I have all 8 slots filled with atleast a lvl 50 of every charaacter class, 2 just made 80. I think early 2013 will be the time i start playing around with the dungeons on my 2nd lvl 80.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I leveled two characters to 80, Ranger and Warrior. Now I'm just playing with all the classes to find one I want to work with. I found I like the Mesmer.  The Necromancer is fun, too. I can't get into an Elementalist.
  • WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Only issue these days is everyone is running the new endless dungeon and all the 80 zones are pretty much dead. Having 2 lvl 80 toons and being away for the christmas break I come back and everyone is way into the endless dungeon and not overly keen to come back running lvl 1 of it again.

I for one am now unsure whether to continue playing or move on, since grinding the same dungeon over and over is boring to me as well.

I do agree the leveling is fun, more fun than end game for sure. WvWvW is getting old fast, due to hacks, exploits ,and server hoppers making it a one sided event every reset.

GW2 is a great game no saying, but it does have a few new features added in, that in my opinion has killed itself alittle bit, Endless dungeon being No1, since hardly a soul in end game zones now major event undoable etc.

Hopefully some servers are not as bad as this, but the server I am on (busy SEA designated server) is dead outside of Lion's Arch where all the players sit screaming out for Fractals of the Mists dungeon runs for there tier.

Just my thoughts from a player been playing since Day 1

Cheers

Tan

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Been there, done that.....

Already have one of each race, and one of each class, got four 80's all with full exotic, main with full ascended and legendary, lowest level alt is 46.

Only way it would be a case of new year, new character for me, would be if they introduced a new race or class.

Damn! You didn't waste your time.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Used to have time for alts, but with family life my main (Norn guardian) still not in a full set of exotics yet. If I was to make an alt, it would have to be a elementalist tank spec. All earthquakes and CC to the Max. But I love my support guardian so much, I'm not upset one bit that I don't have time for an alt.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Don't waste your time.  If you've hit cap and done map completion, there's nothing to see with an alt.  

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627

Yeah, I took my initial Guardian to level 45 and gathered everything I saw so I had the itch to craft some signets and decided on an Elementalist. Once I started playing him and his story I was having another "blast".

With my initial toon I tried not to go into areas I would probably explore with alts to not "ruin the surprise" but the Halloween and X-Mas events made that difficult :-)

Like Torvaldr above, I balance GW2 a bit with TSW (horror setting and puzle oriented) for a change of pace. Since a friend of mine started GW2 though I might back off of TSW a bit.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Easier said then done.

Honestly the only race I can tolerate is the sylvari because the glowing effect and all the skin colour choices can make them so unique.

Norn/Charr are too big, asura too small making 1h weapons barely visible and humans look meh.

Also classes don't really give me that feel on loving x over y. When I started guild wars 2 I had no idea what to pick, was thinking on starting a thief but wanted something new so tried warrior but didn't like it and after some internet searches ended with mesmer. Long story short at the start I was still not convinced but later on I started enjoying the class till I reached cap and got tired doing dungeons and/or not finding a good party to beat arah boss even if I explain in detail what to do.

Now after a lot of time not playing the game I started several characters starting with thief but I can't feel the vibe in it.... It's the first game ever I don't like the thief class. Then tried engineer but got disapointed after finding out they don't have any melee weapon apart of the wrench which is not exactly what I refer to melee weapon, and a charr warrior trying every style of combat but after seeing an elementalist attacking with dual daggers, the animations caught my attention and stopped the warrior at 11 and got an elementalist at 20 atm.

They are squishy just like the mesmer but with time I'm sure they will be awesome after they bloom from the newbie areas. (I love their animations)

Now I'm thinking on "questing" to say it that way in some other race maps as I already have an 80 mesmer which is sylvari. I was thinking between norn or charr as I hate the human maps with the overused centaurs.

• ParepinParepin Member UncommonPosts: 257
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

haha funny question- ive basically have my main male charr engi- and  basically every race/ prof at 60's atm. but...

Ive also been playing borderlands 2 lately which i love and actually made my FIRST ever! female character  the ' mechromancer' -and lord behold iam enjoying it=  so i may make my first ever mmo female character this year on GW2....

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Just want to say the Dwarf drawing in this article is awesome - props to whomever drew that!

I have always always always wanted to make a good Dwarf character in a MMO - but most of the time dwarves are awful in terms of animations and style (WoW, RIFT Dwarves are atrocious.)

WAR was the only MMO to do Dwarves any justice IMO, but the Orks were just so much cooler I had to go Black Ork.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Just want to say the Dwarf drawing in this article is awesome - props to whomever drew that!

I have always always always wanted to make a good Dwarf character in a MMO - but most of the time dwarves are awful in terms of animations and style (WoW, RIFT Dwarves are atrocious.)

WAR was the only MMO to do Dwarves any justice IMO, but the Orks were just so much cooler I had to go Black Ork.

Once you go black...

• BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32

I made every profession, every race, and 4 males / 4 females at launch.  Started to concentrate on my female sylvari necromancer and got her to level 80 with 100% map completion and all exploring areas found. She also finished up her personal story, got 34 of 37 diving locations so far, and got level 400 jewelmaking / level 392 tailoring. In the last month I have taken all my alts to level 20, started all the other crafting professions, and just have had a lot of fun. Once they are all level 80 I will pick a couple of them for dungeons and a couple others for farming. The few remaining slots may be deleted and remade, so I can experience all 3 main paths in each of the races initial personal story. I see a lot more hours being added to my 800+ already played.

One thing I have to warn new players is that to get level appropriate armor / weapons from crafting you have to do it along with leveling. My necro just did a bit of crafting after completing each tier's zone and until level 70+ was always crafting below her level or below the drops she got. My alts are having an easier time of it, as they already have a stockpile of materials to craft with.

Bob