Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do people level so fast?

Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
My current lvl 22 character, I've probably spent about 15-18 hours and hes only that far. How is that people have gotten characters to lvl 35+ in a day? Or even Max level in just a few? Am I missing a fast way to gain exp? I do hearts, gathering, story line quests, eat food and even use XP pots here and there. I'm also an elementalist and can AOE 4-5 mobs at a time with no downtime. Whats goin on here?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Crusix221
    My current lvl 22 character, I've probably spent about 15-18 hours and hes only that far. How is that people have gotten characters to lvl 35+ in a day? Or even Max level in just a few? Am I missing a fast way to gain exp? I do hearts, gathering, story line quests, eat food and even use XP pots here and there. I'm also an elementalist and can AOE 4-5 mobs at a time with no downtime. Whats goin on here?

Crafting can get you leveled very quickly.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Dynamic events, instances, WvW. But if this is your first character, you will be slower because you are enjoying the process and learning.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Since you are level 22 I can give you one tip. 

When you reach ~ lvl 35, get a couple XP and kill streak boosters.  Then go to hirathi hinterlands.  Kill everything in sight.  There is a DE chain that resets frequently in a mob dense area (the chain leading to killing the centaur king/leader).  It is located in the NE quadrant of the map. 

You will level really fast this way.

Maybe other can chime in, but try to level in zones that are more dense with mobs/hearts/DE's.  Areas link sparfly are pretty dense while places like Mt. Maelstrom are sparse and difficult to navigate.

Use this site to check out all the areas.  GW2cartographer.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Some forum posters lie about it in attempts to make the game appear bad, others actually get alts levelled that quickly with a good bit of gold and craft there way there. The game is designed through normal play to take an estimated hour to hour and a half per level once you hit about 20ish.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

The leveling in GW2 by design is quick. that is why players level so fast.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    It's doesn't take very long to level in GW2. Couple that with a few cash shop boosters and you'll skyrocket right to the top.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    i think im slow too heh xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77
    dont do hearts or map comptetion. events are way faster mixed with crafting and the hearts you complet naturally with the events. i have 5 max toons the fastest i was able to do it was 2 days. wvw isnt viable for fast leveling anymore. start doing story quests on the 7's (ie level 7,17,27..ect) they should take you to the next 10 point. and go to the next area. you can work on map completion and give you more to do at max.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Yeah, with 150+ hours invested my highest lvl toon is 58... Lol
  • MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Leveling is far too fast to begin with, why would you want to level faster?
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Playing from the start made very very easy for me to level to 80 in about a week. I mean, everywhere you went there were 3 or 4 events going on at all times. It was like a non stop EXP chain of events all day everyday.
  • FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

Crafting got my brother on an alt from 1-80  in a single weekend with only much less than expected playtime.

If you prefer not to craft, you do indeed level a lot quicker with a friend or two.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Doing the daily achievement will get you a lot of bonus xp too and you can do it at any level.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    But ask yourself, what's your hurry to level, there's not much to do at the top once you get there. Enjoy the ride until then.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Two months later and I am only level 56 lol. People who level up quickly usually play a lot, something like 4-8 hours a day.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

People who really level fast used hacks, wandering around with speed hacks under the map to gain area points and other stuff. But crafting will level you up quiete fast. Donno if those botter and hacker got removed already from the game and they actually did implement a better anti cheat protection, in the first weeks after release GW2 had issues here and I dont play anymore. Have fun ingame.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Don't think that you're doing it wrong because others are leveling faster. They probably don't do the map completion and only do the story quests that are really worth it for the xp. If you team up with a fixed group you can kill faster while still getting all of the rewards. If you're solo, you're solo. There is no wrong way of leveling if you're having fun doing it.

The fastest to level 80 got there through crafting with the help of guildmates providing the mats. If reaching level 80 in a minimum of time is some kind of goal for you, then you should be looking into crafting.

imageimage
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Crusix, you are doing it right! Take your time, don't rush the level. Explore and enjoy.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

Crusix, you are doing it right! Take your time, don't rush the level. Explore and enjoy.

Most of the people who rushed through their first character burned out fast. What has kept me playing was setting various goals, like 100% world completion, after that I tackled my story arc, after that started working on doing story mode in all dungeons ect ect

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I have no problem doing low level content at level 80. I'm over the old way of thinking and enjoy the game to enjoy it. You can level fast, or slow, or just at an average rate in this game and still have fun, if you make the right choice for your own metality. :)

For straight leveling, the OP is pretty much right on the expected pace. Others are correct though, in answer to the question of "how". The game allows you to level via crafting. If you have played a few alts and accumulated some gold, or if you take the plunge and buy gems to convert into gold, you can gain some levels very quickly.

I had purchased a second account before launch for a relative that decided not to play due to time constraints. I decided to make a character on the account to get the Wintersday stuff, but I didn't want to go into the Tixx toy events with a really low character. So, I leveled Cooking and Artificing to 400 shortly after hitting level 14 via normal play. I also advanced Tailloring and Jeweler to about 300 each. I think I hit 45 in about two afternoons crafting, for around 8-10 Gold, after selling what I could to offset some of the costs.

I wouldn't normally want to advance a character so fast, but the events offered a good excuse, plus I had found player a Mesmer to mid levels to be painful during beta, so I was glad to skip 30 levels on that characgter. (I'm enjoying Mesmer now, which was a pleasant surprise, given my beta experience).

I don't see anything wrong with using crafting to power level. I think newer players should just play through at least one character via the normal progression before doing so, or advance their crafting at a more measured pace, so that they can eperience more of the game world and learn the ins and outs of play before they get their first character to 80. However, if you already have a few level 80s and you know that you are able to enjoy the game just as much @ 80 as while leveling up, then the shortcut can be a very welcome option.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Drinking potions (doesn't matter what kind) will give you an XP boost of +10 per enemy kills.  Most any food will do the same.  I prefer tarts or bars (just type in "tart" or "bar" into the tradehouse search) as they also give an additional +10 boost, and they give increased magic find. 

For your level you could look into "lemon bar".  I like those, and then graduate to Cherry tart if you wish. 

Just complete zones, and explore them entirely, and then move onto the next one.  And as some have mentioned, crafting does give you some good xp.  I don't mess with crafting in GW2 and never have.  Also, personal story missions will give a big xp gain when a mission or mission chain is completed and those don't take too long. 

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by spizz

People who really level fast used hacks, wandering around with speed hacks under the map to gain area points and other stuff. But crafting will level you up quiete fast. Donno if those botter and hacker got removed already from the game and they actually did implement a better anti cheat protection, in the first weeks after release GW2 had issues here and I dont play anymore. Have fun ingame.

Yeah, whatever you want to believe.  An Elementalist guild leader in my guild and I leveled 1-80 together without crafting and XP boosters in 3 days.  We got server 2nd and 3rd within a few hours of each other.  Server 1st was a Warrior (fastest PvE leveling class) and used XP boosters, but didn't cheat  We didn't use hacks.  We pretty much played through the game normally, we just didn't waste our time (we did play 16 hours those days though).  I have server first achievements across other MMOs too and never hacked and exploited to get there.

You can also level all crafting professions on a single character and hit max level that way.  It takes about 25g, or roughly 7 hours of explorable AC or CoF runs.  It only takes about 2-3 hours to hit max from level 1 this way.  Each explorable dungeon path also gives you almost an entire level, so you can level entirely in dungeons in 2-3 days time too if you wanted to.

As for standard PvE leveling you do what you'd do in basically every other MMO.  You go around completing everything on the map and then quickly move on to the next area.  Kill anything on your way as the delay to kill the MOBs is well worth the XP (MOBs that weren't killed by other players recently also grant bonus XP, up to 7X as much as they'd normally reward).  Mine nodes for more XP (a rich node is almost like completing a heart quest alone).  Do not skip hearts.  Do not skip dynamic events (unless you are unable to do it at the time).  Don't sit in one area and farm.  Do story mode of dungeons when available, but not if it's going to waste your time doing a group.

Leveling quickly isn't for everyone either.  You should take your own pace.  Only do it if you enjoy leveling quickly.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541
    WvW levels the character quite quickly. Especially if you join a zerg, capture points, invade bases, destroy caravans, not to mention 3 jumping puzzle resetting everyday.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.