It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Alright so basically in our apartment we pay 99$ a month to get Time Warner's best ineternet speeds. They say it goes to 50mbps, but general with only our laptop on and doing tests highest I've ever seen is usually 27-29mbps. Now I have a decent gaming desktop I like to play Dungeon Defenders on and have been experiencing lag when I really believe I shouldn't and am trying to find out why. I am not good at understanding internet specifics and how it works but I also believed I had a good modem and router. Also there are 3 of us living here, each of us has an iphone (though I generally make my roomates turn it off to save internet for computers) a gaming laptop, an ipad, a gaming desktop, a ps3 (connected directly to the router) and a roku and apple tv that generally aren't all on at the same time. We usually only have the ipad, ps3, gaming laptop and desktop on. Are we just trying to run too many internet using items at once? Generally I have been making sure everything but the gaming desktop are completely shut off and I still experience lag!! I am going to give specifics to see if I need a new router or modem or adapter but please any suggestions, hints, or anything else will be helpful as I feel we should not have this problem.
PS: If we have too many things on and using the internet at once it kinda just quits working.
Thanks for any help and here is my router, adapter, and modem:
Medialink - Wireless N Broadband Router - 150 Mbps - 2.4 Ghz - 802.11n
This router is the perfect solution for adding a wireless network to your home or business. It fully complies with wireless standards and is guaranteed to work with any manufacturer's 2.4Ghz wireless adapter and most manufacturers' DSL/Cable modems.
- Wireless Data Transfer Rate: 150 Mbps
- Supports 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n Adapters Operating on 2.4Ghz Wavelength
- Includes 4 Port Ethernet Switch, Wireless Access Point, and Firewall
- Wired Data Transfer Rate: 10/100 Mbps (Ethernet 10 Base-T)
- Routing and Firewall Protocol: DHCP
- Antenna: (1) Internal
- Power Adapter:
INPUT: 100-240V (suitable for international use), 50/60Hz, 0.3A
OUTPUT: 9V - 0.6A (600mA)
DC Plug Dimension: 5.5mm (Outer Diameter) x 2.5mm (Inner Diameter) x 10mm (Length)
Medialink Wireless Routers support the most current Security Protocols and Encryption Types to allow you to easily keep out unwanted intruders to your wireless network. The following Security features are supported:
- WPS (WiFi Protected Setup)
- WPA and WPA2 Security Protocol
- WEP, TKIP, and AES - 64 and 128 Bit Encryption
Microsoft WHQL Certified
Medialink Wireless Routers are certified by Microsoft to be compatible with the following Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP (32 and 64 Bit), Vista (32 and 64 Bit), 7 (32 and 64 Bit).
Also supports Mac OS X and Linux.
- EZ Connect Setup Wizard Makes Configuring Your Router Simple
- Wall Mountable To Save Desk Space
Medialink Products are backed by superior customer support. If you need assistance you can call us Tuesday through Saturday 9am to 6pm Eastern or email us after hours and someone will respond within the next business day.
Medialink - Wireless N USB Adapter - 802.11n 150Mbps
* Compatible with any Brand 802.11g or 802.11n Router Using 2.4ghz Wavelength
* Microsoft WHQL Certified
* Supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 Security
* Live US Based Customer Service
Offering the ultimate in simplified Wi-Fi installation, Medialink's 150Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter offers a simplified one click installation. Insert the CD, click "install software" and the utility will auto-detect your operating system and install the appropriate drivers. (Windows 7 Users, just plug and play! No CD required.)
- Any PC or Laptop with a USB port, 733MHz CPU, and 64MB Memory
- Any brand 802.11g or 802.11n router using 2.4ghz wavelength
- Windows 2000, 2003, XP 32-Bit/64-Bit, Vista 32-Bit/64-Bit, Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit
Docking Station Included with Attached 3ft USB Extension Cable for Desktop Convenience
- NOT COMPATIBLE with Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-Ray Players, Roku Boxes, or any device that does not run an Operating System. Also will not work with Dual Band Routers that only broadcast N speeds on 5ghz wavelength.
Microsoft WHQL Certified
Unlike many Wi-Fi adapters, Medialink adapters are Microsoft WHQL certified to ensure compatibility with the major operating systems listed above.
This adapter provides state of the art standards-based security features: WPA/WPA2, IEEE802.1X, 64/128-bit WEP. With these enhanced security features, you can encrypt your data and only allow authorized users to access your wireless network.