Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Hello Kitty Online: Very Much a Niche MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hello Kitty is one of the most enduring animated characters of all time. We've been playing Hello Kitty Online to see how it stacks up to its legacy. See how HKO fares in our latest review.

The game’s graphics consists of 2D sprites in pastel colors in a vibrantly decorated world.  The Sanrio style is stamped on everything giving the game a cartoony feeling. Everything is cute, even the monsters. So, if you’re prone to cuteness overload you may want to limit your exposure to HKO. The game does offer only two resolutions: 800x600 or 1024x768. This means that playing in windowed mode is the best option if you have one of the larger monitors available today. Otherwise, the lower resolution of the graphics is very obvious.

Read more of Krystina Balogh's Hello Kitty Online: Very Much a Niche MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
      Sooo basically Hello kitty onlie has everything Pirates 101 does except the game of the year award  ;)
  • makiimakii Member Posts: 280

I think mmorpg is trolling his loyal fanbase. With hello kitty you guys lost much of your credibility.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Could have been such a great game, but they went p2w.  Plus there's no full loot pvp.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It's a game based on an IP squarely aimed at pre-adolescent Asian females (ie kids) and as such can't be rated in the same way you would an MMORPG  game like RIFT or WOW. If it does a good job representing the IP and hitting the sweet spot for the fan kids then it does it''s job. Its not meant to be lasting, difficult, challenging, or any of that more than your average Barbie Doll. You can't be serious with some of this review and I am surprised at the lack of tips for parents...
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Oh my... I admit I thought this game is only a joke :) (since I first heard about it from South Park's wow episode, and let's face it, Butters isn't the most credible character). Heck, we even use it as a phrase if somebody says or does something stupid: ok, now go and play some Hello Kitty Online :)  Never checked if there's an actual game or not.

I think it's only fair if I try it for the lolz. I will do that. As soon as my TSW subscription is... oh wait.  :)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by makii

I think mmorpg is trolling his loyal fanbase. With hello kitty you guys lost much of your credibility.

I think that response there loses you credibility in that you can look down upon something negatively just because its not in 'your style'. A game can be great without needing to cater to your particular demographic and being ignorant just cause its designed for a certain audiance to automatically flame a game just shows a very shallow view you have in determining what is 'good' or not. 

Would I play this game? Probably not, but I'd be a fool to mindlessly bash a game I never tried just because of where it was made or its target audience was without giving it a try and seeing just what it has to offer. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

It's a game based on an IP squarely aimed at pre-adolescent Asian females (ie kids) and as such can't be rated in the same way you would an MMORPG  game like RIFT or WOW. If it does a good job representing the IP and hitting the sweet spot for the fan kids then it does it''s job. Its not meant to be lasting, difficult, challenging, or any of that more than your average Barbie Doll. You can't be serious with some of this review and I am surprised at the lack of tips for parents...

and I'm surprised at the lack of common sense some parents have.  You should not even be considering letting someone under 13 play an online game.  They don't need to socialize outside of school and family, and no matter what controls you think are in place, it's just a dumb decision to allow that, facebook, twitter, etc.

Parents considering mmos for their kids should make a deal with mmorpg.com.  One will stop reviewing games aimed at kids, the other will just stop having them.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    Honestly...life is difficult and its not alright to say that parents who let theyr kids play mmorpgs lost theyr common sense. Everyone of us has a different perspective at life, its easy to say something is wrong but its hard to find a working solution.
     In my case, i wouldnt let my childs touch mmorpgs.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Theres no way most of us would ever even try this game.....The embarrassment of saying "I play Hello Kitty Online" is enough to keep the majority of us from even looking at it.....Im surprised it has lasted this long.
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

bleh IDK about you but If i had my daughter or neices play anything, i'dbe this. I could play with them, but mostly its a 'safe place' to learn mmo's(Sure are creeps but at least the game itself can teach mmo stuff without being too harsh)

Like most games, HKO has a target audience.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I am not a huge fan of HKO, but the decapitation animations are pretty fluid. Or am I thinking of another game?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

i tried this for a couple of days :3

then i got bored heh xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         Theres no way most of us would ever even try this game.....The embarrassment of saying "I play Hello Kitty Online" is enough to keep the majority of us from even looking at it.....Im surprised it has lasted this long.

For you. The entire market isn't made up of jaded bittervets, though. You probably also wouldn't touch Wizard 101 or Maple Story.

As for HKO being embarrassing, I kinda like having a [email protected] email address. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    The game sucks. The only way it'd be better if it was 3D and has WASD controls. Hello Kitty is a huge market line and they butchered it this way whereas they could've done it better like other mmorpgs. In other words, it totally needs a big revamp. 
  • evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    damn this game cool.. i'll stop playing gw2 and make hko my main mmo
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It serves the market it was designed for well.  Although I think there are much better kids games with better parental controls than this game.  I certainly would not recommend it for someone looking for their kids to play a MMO type game though.

Like someone said, if you have fun playing the game, then it achieved it's purpose.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    This game should have been reviewed on April Fool's Day from the perspective of a hardcore PvPer who tried to grief other players.
  • fafdsfrfafdsfr Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by Theocritus

I'm sure a lot of us thought the embarassment of saying "I watch My Little Pony" would keep it from getting big. Take a look where that ended up.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by adam_nox

and I'm surprised at the lack of common sense some parents have.  You should not even be considering letting someone under 13 play an online game.  They don't need to socialize outside of school and family, and no matter what controls you think are in place, it's just a dumb decision to allow that, facebook, twitter, etc.

Parents considering mmos for their kids should make a deal with mmorpg.com.  One will stop reviewing games aimed at kids, the other will just stop having them. In my opinion 

Thought I would add that for you,

You were spouting an awful lot of what sounded like Conservative American rubbish as though it was Gospel. If you are a fellow Brit I apologise now, but it sounds so painfully sanctimonious its hard to read. 

1. You do not now or ever have to right to tell parents how to raise their children

2. Your incredibly narrow views about social media and gaming seem so out of touch as to be laughable in the 21st Centuary. In my humble view.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Durray

Parents considering mmos for their kids should make a deal with mmorpg.com.  One will stop reviewing games aimed at kids, the other will just stop having them. In my opinion 

You were spouting an awful lot of what sounded like Conservative American rubbish as though it was Gospel. If you are a fellow Brit I apologise now, but it sounds so painfully sanctimonious its hard to read. 

1. You do not now or ever have to right to tell parents how to raise their children

2. Your incredibly narrow views about social media and gaming seem so out of touch as to be laughable in the 21st Centuary. In my humble view.

He seems to me to be just looking to start a fight..any fight :)    I love using this game as a response for when other ask what game they should play :)   I guess one of these days I should check it out just to not be a "total hypocrite"  lol just a casual one

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• BuffkittenBuffkitten Member Posts: 1

Everything I just wrote was mysteriously absent from my final post.  What happened?

tl;dr version:

IMO, forbidding access to online socialization is a mistake. Supervision and guidance are far more effective, and teach children to protect themselves.

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Durray

He was mostly over the top but to rebut you.  When I have to pay for someone elses kids I certainly do have the right to tell parents how to raise them.