Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need an addictive mmo!

Please, someone make a mmorpg that is fun and addictive. One that I cannot wait to have a few days off to endulge myself in. My first mmo was SWG. it was the coolest, funnest, most addictive game I have ever played, and then came the NGE, and we all know the end of that story.

So anyway, I remember someone back in my early SWG days telling me the very night I finished mastering the Chef profession and unlocking my Jedi slot. He said this " You will never experience anything like this in a game in your lifetime" . I believe he was correct. After the NGE was cast down on us like the black plague, I ran off to WOW. It was still in its vanilla days. I must say, it isnt SWG but Blizzard has really made a solid mmo with this game. It has been my crutch to fall back on after enduring many not so up to par mmo's while in search of that elusive game that takes me back to my glory days...

The days of guilds that actually mattered. Guild halls for us to decorate how we like and hold meetings and store guild items. A player economy that actually worked and when you became a part of it, whether through crafting, harvesting, or grinding credits to purchase things, it made you want to do more to get your share of the riches rolling in. Open world points of interest and places to explore with everyone, not just instances of small groups , and phases. Player cities that were run by the players with a leader who could be voted out of office by player elections. No levels, just skills. Skills that could be dropped to learn something else and even relearned later on. Never needing to roll another character. Ahh  good times. I'd like to say that good times are ahead of us but it doesnt seem any developers are interested in resurecting the old school mmorpg, and making an emmersice world that is addictive, mysterious, and fun. And most of all, a mmorpg that keeps us logging in.

We have endured so many failed mmo's that claimed to be the next generation mmo that is unique and innovative.

To name a few...Aion, GW2, Tera, SWTOR, The Secret World. Now dont get me wrong, all these games have some elements that are fun, unique, and somewhat addictive. Although, all these mmo's have holes in them. Empty holes which need filled by the things that matter in an mmo that developers just cant seem to figure out.

So im closing with this, I challenge someone out there with the resources and wits to create an mmorpg that is emmersive with unique and innovative qualities but oldschool fun and addictive style. It doesnt have to be sandbox nor themepark. How about a little bit of both? Theme park locations but sandbox world. A little beginner tutorial area for the slow learners. There is so much one can do with a fantasy world, why arn't we seeing it happen ?

Comments

• raulaunraulaun Member Posts: 35

Yeah, I feel you. The days of Vanilla WoW and UO were good times, but I don't think it's the developers.. It's the community, the way we look at games, how we piece them apart down to their roots and laugh at them.

It used to be quite a feat to earn something important in an MMORPG, prompting loud yells of happiness from people that their hard work payed off. Nowadays it's "Yeah, cool, I grinded two months for that, let's get the next thing."

I suppose Entropia Universe kind of fits the bill, but if you want to play that game, you can't unless you invest thousands of dollars to make yourself 'UB3R-L33T" In whatever you decide to do. Pay to win. I enjoyed it for awhile, until my luck ran out as a free player.

All the rest of the games lack a community that keeps the fun in the game, I have yet to find a game that does this aside from Minecraft, but MC isn't an MMO, it's just a sandbox game, it's about as close as you can get to WoW's old community, the irony..

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I never played SWG. I like the idea of no instances and only having one character you play. Those both create permanence, which is what a community needs. Can't say I ever saw a single good thing about WoW.... The themepark / sandbox dichotomy kills me. I don't know if I should get into that here but if themepark means what  I think most people think it means then all themeparks suck.
  • LethalElementLethalElement Member Posts: 9

Another thing someone said to me once was " You never enjoy an mmo like you did your first one". I never believed this until SWG died. I always had the idea that they woudl just continue to get better, although it has been quite the opposite.

So maybe it is the community, are most of us spoiled by our first mmo experiences? So much that nothing feels refreshing to us?

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm so sick of theme park mmo's now, I think alot of people are in the same boat. TERA was the only one that was a little different from the norm.

You only have to look at the MMORPG hype chart to see people are moving away from theme parks and looking for something a little different, I certainly am.

Playing Darkfall Unholy Wars beta right now and its great fun. Looking forward to being able to play without loosing all my gear when I log out. ;)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The argument that we complain so much on here about new MMO's being down to nostalgia or the like is often bought up on the forums. I agree there is an element nostalgia but it is minor and not why we are up in arms about the genre.

Do you think films from 10 years ago are better than anything out now? Or books? I thought not, there is a reason we think the MMO's of 8+ years ago were better. It is because in many ways they were. I am not advocating a return to those games excactly as they were, but a rebalancing between the old and new gameplay would make for far better MMO's.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't want next gen, unique or innovative.

What I want is a themepark that's a massively multiplayer world, with emphasis on community, and a huge variety of activities to keep me busy.

I figure it like this.  If the "improvements" made in the MMORPG genre over the last 5 years haven't been working.  Perhaps it's time to look at what made the older games fun and addictive, and try to recapture that magic.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by raulaun

Yeah, I feel you. The days of Vanilla WoW and UO were good times, but I don't think it's the developers.. It's the community, the way we look at games, how we piece them apart down to their roots and laugh at them.

It used to be quite a feat to earn something important in an MMORPG, prompting loud yells of happiness from people that their hard work payed off. Nowadays it's "Yeah, cool, I grinded two months for that, let's get the next thing."

I suppose Entropia Universe kind of fits the bill, but if you want to play that game, you can't unless you invest thousands of dollars to make yourself 'UB3R-L33T" In whatever you decide to do. Pay to win. I enjoyed it for awhile, until my luck ran out as a free player.

All the rest of the games lack a community that keeps the fun in the game, I have yet to find a game that does this aside from Minecraft, but MC isn't an MMO, it's just a sandbox game, it's about as close as you can get to WoW's old community, the irony..

It's the developers.  Think about it.....Are the players given questioners to fill out ? No.  They just adapt !

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Play Vanguard when you like the themepark/quest approach.

Play Eve when you like the sandbox approach and a sci-fi environment.

Play Wurm when you like the sandbox approach and a medieval/low fantasy environment.

Only 3 MMORPGs needed. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

OP: I think I've found your game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLPwWxjVRM (featured!)

It's fun, it does not require a huge investment of time before becoming viable in PvP or in guild-oriented PvE, there is moderate grinding if you want it, however it's somewhat easy to avoid.  It is highly addictive.

I once watched an interview with a Bungie exec (no, VO is not made by Bungie) who made the point that video games often have these 30-seconds of core gameplay that get expressed in a variety of circumstances.  The point is those 30-seconds can either make or break the game.  Think about almost any MMORPG you have tried and consider what those 30-seconds involve; most of the time it is watching combat animations and considering the best sequence of abilities to activate... am I wrong?

VO's 30 seconds are vastly different.  The reason for this is simple; there is no imaginary dice rolling.  Everything in the universe follows certain physical laws, whether it be thermal mass or momentum.  The pilot's ability to navigate these laws determines the outcome of combat.

I've watched a full-fledged MMORPG based on this foundation grow up over the years, designed for thousands of players to interact simultaneously.  To this day it remains relatively unknown.

1) It is a highly addictive game

2) There is grinding if you want it, however this is easy to avoid

3) Player skill is vastly more important than gear or the imaginary skill of a character

4) It has a well developed manufacturing economy that is continuing to grow

5) It works on both mobile and PC; in fact you can switch between the two playing the same character

6) All platforms are fed into the same, single universe

7) It includes integrated voice-chat

8) Player involvement is paramount

I feel like this is the game I've been waiting for since my early days playing Escape Velocity, X-Wing, and Marathon for Mac.  I knew this within about 10 seconds of launching from the starting station.  There is so much more to it; if you consider yourself an MMORPG player you owe it to yourself to check out this game.  The devs themselves have said the end design of the game is really outside the scope of what is traditionally considered an "MMORPG"; It's aimed at something much bigger.

As a caveat; it involves a lot of reading.  If English isn't your first language you may want to reconsider for the time being.  Localization isn't something that the devs have gotten around to yet.  Guild Software is a four-man team.

You can be killed almost anywhere, anytime.  However, there are consequences for every action.

The internet means you have to get along with other people; wherever you go, there you are.

There is global chat; certain people will get on your nerves sometimes.  However, there is the ability to /ignore or to /vote mute.

Despite having been launched in 2004 and open to the public since 2002, the game is still in the early phases of development.  Many primary features have yet to be implemented.  The game's development could be described as slow, gradual motion toward huge goals (this may be considered a positive thing by some people).

There is a subscription fee; it's anywhere from $6.67 to $9.99 a month.

I think that about covers it.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    I hear what you're saying.  Not much bravery amongst MMO designers of late.  I've got my eye on Trials of Ascension, a game so brave in its design it's going the kickstarter route because no publisher wanted to touch it.  I think we need independent developers try radical ideas and break the industry out of its rut.  EA ain't gonna do it.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by PsiKahn
    I hear what you're saying.  Not much bravery amongst MMO designers of late.  I've got my eye on Trials of Ascension, a game so brave in its design it's going the kickstarter route because no publisher wanted to touch it.  I think we need independent developers try radical ideas and break the industry out of its rut.  EA ain't gonna do it.

I am beginning to think not much skill.  I used to look forward to Beta releases now I'm started to associate Beta with the four letter word h e double hocky sticks.   I am sure it is hard to make an mmo but dang, is it THAT hard to improve on the ones already made???

When we said we wanted something new we did not mean different graphics.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I don't want next gen, unique or innovative.

What I want is a themepark that's a massively multiplayer world, with emphasis on community, and a huge variety of activities to keep me busy.

I figure it like this.  If the "improvements" made in the MMORPG genre over the last 5 years haven't been working.  Perhaps it's time to look at what made the older games fun and addictive, and try to recapture that magic.

Rift had and has all of what you describe.

Nothing all that original, solo, group - both pre-set and dynamic, etc.  Limits on what you can and cannot do of little consequence.

It hit with a big landing and bit by bit dried up.  Give it a shot and see for yourself why.

PvP is still 'gear for the win' - skill means little vs what you have and you can 'grind for it' in PvP.  PvE has the dungeon/raid locks and such.

Leveling up, advancement trees, etc...  It was what most claim they want in a modern MMO -- yet with all of that, it still seems to be lacking "something".

Seriously - give it a shot for yourself and see what it's like.  With respect to modern MMO's it's pretty close to a perfect design based upon the game genre and what people say they want.