Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play this MMO?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I'll start with what could be percieved negatives of the game, even though I don't think of it as negative  Bear in mind the following systems are put in place for very personal reasons: 

• Experience capped per 24 hour period
  • Loot and other items placed on the Auction House have prices controlled by the Auction House itself, think of it as a glorified vendor, meaning an item placed on the auction house will fetch a greater price then normal vendoring but there would be no way to "game the system" through undercutting, cornering the market or other similar modes of creating artificial prices.
  • 6-12 months before your character reaches an artificial level cap
The reason why I include these systems is thus:  I envision my ultimate game to take a minimum of 6 months to a year before you reach max level and in order to ensure this, your experience is capped during a 24 hour period reducing the need to grind, or min/max your exp curve.  This also ensures no hardcore 18+ hour a day player can one-up any one else. 

I also include heavy restrictions on Auction House use.  Nothing pisses me off more in GW2 then constantly being broke because I do not understand supply and demand economical processes.  IMO the best way to make ingame currency is through playing, killing, looting and hunting, not standing around an AH doing all the underhanded things to overinflate prices.  Because I do not know how to "play the Auction House" I'll never be able to afford to buy a legendary precursor because evry day the prices go up thanks to trading post manipulations.  In GW2 the rich get richer and the guys like me, who jsut want to play the damn game can never get ahead because you'll never make enough money by just plain old fashion hunting/looting.

Ok now onto other systems in my MMO I would like to see, so tell me via the poll below or in the comments themselves if you agree or disagree with any of the following:  Keep in mind  the above "negatives" are not up for discussion and would remain so you have to base your vote on their inclusion but the following can be up for debate:

1. Dynamic loot system with hundreds of thousands of combinations from Armor class, damage variance, to-hit modifiers, swing delay etc.  Basically a glorified Asheron's Call loot system but include stats on gear (AC did not have stats i.e. +strength or + Intelligence)
  2. Open world non-quest system.  Similar to Asheron's Call but also similar to Elder Scrolls Open World exploration complete with a compass HUD that indicates when you're close to a a point-of-interest.
  3. Crafting of armor/weapons/jewlery is verboten.  Instead the crafting is an extension of the loot system.  An example, being able to increase damage, reduce variance, add to-hit modifier etc. to weapons and increase armor, reduce encumberance, add protection stats and reduce/add stats to armor.  Basically a glorified WoWenchanter or AC tinkerer
  4. Other craftables include cooking, alchemy potions, Arrows, temp stat boosts and other non permanant types of items to asuage the crafters who enjoy actually making things.
  5. Open ended skill based class system:  Having many skills to aquire but being only able to master a few due to hardcaps on skills points earned.  basically a system similar to Asheron's Call but with a twist.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I would just add group content and a death penalty.
  • pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    I can't even decide... You gave so little description in that wall of text that I don't even know what the game is about... How about for starters is this sci-fi or fantasy? Is it pay to play or free to play? Is it a big giant server like Eve?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by pacov
    I can't even decide... You gave so little description in that wall of text that I don't even know what the game is about... How about for starters is this sci-fi or fantasy? Is it pay to play or free to play? Is it a big giant server like Eve?

Fantasy everything else is up for discussion.  As for server, I would rather have smaller shards if they can support several thousand people on at a time spread across a world at least 500 aquare miles, would prefer it to be closer to 1000 square miles though.  It would be seemless and non-instanced with no phasing, no instancing and only loading screens would be from transition from world to dungeon.  Pay structure is debatable as is most everything except for my initial 3 caveats.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Sorry, i just got rid of Levels, i never want to see them again. A number beside my name not how i want to clarify my skill.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Sounds interesting.  The only negative to the second set of points is not having armor / weapon crafting.  I think the type of players who would like the game would prefer the option of item creation rather than just enhancement.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I also include heavy restrictions on Auction House use.  Nothing pisses me off more in GW2 then constantly being broke because I do not understand supply and demand economical processes.  IMO the best way to make ingame currency is through playing, killing, looting and hunting, not standing around an AH doing all the underhanded things to overinflate prices.  Because I do not know how to "play the Auction House" I'll never be able to afford to buy a legendary precursor because evry day the prices go up thanks to trading post manipulations.  In GW2 the rich get richer and the guys like me, who jsut want to play the damn game can never get ahead because you'll never make enough money by just plain old fashion hunting/looting.

You lost me there. From what I've read from the beginning to this part, your idea of an MMORPG is what I would call a part-time job where everyone gets to do the same job. Hardly fun to play.

Was afraid of these figures to be honest.

I always knew I was part of the minority of MMO gaming and it seems a game liek this will never be made.  Thanks for the responses even if they werent what I was looking for.  If I ever come into millions of dollars I would make a game exactly like this because I have to believe there are others out there like me who want a near endless character progression system with emphasis on combat, and adventure.  Auction Houses and fast leveling take that away IMO.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

the answer is yes

I would play Asheron's Call 3

problem with a daily cap shouldnt be total exp earned, but amount of time you can earn exp.  I mean nothing was better, in AC then getting our group going, and pushing over 4 mil /hr exp in Tusker Caves, or when Valley of Death opened, pushing to 21 mil/hr and constantly tinkering with group setup and farming paterns to try to top our previous best

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I can't even decide... You gave so little description in that wall of text that I don't even know what the game is about...

It's about him not understanding game economics and being pissed that he can't buy an epic item. So, to solve that, the guy that doesn't have a clue about economics wrote up how he would change the economics of a game so that everyone else is capped to allow him to catch up and have the things they have.

"Nothing pisses me off more in GW2 then constantly being broke because I do not understand supply and demand economical processes." 

"Because I do not know how to "play the Auction House" I'll never be able to afford to buy a legendary precursor because evry day the prices go up thanks to trading post manipulations."

There are a lot of entitlement posts on these boards, but this one really takes the cake.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FlesaurFlesaur Member Posts: 6

To be honest, I voted no for your game, even though I'd love a platform with 'near endless character progression system with emphasis on combat, and adventure.'

The reason?

You'd exclude a lot of people who are necessary for a game to work.  You need people who grind, who play auction houses etc. to make your community grow.  It's all part of a dynamic world and when you start to impose artificial systems, i.e. controlled auction houses, you'll take out the human interaction and you might as well just play a single player game.

MMOs typically give you enjoyment based on the time you invest in it.  If you are not good with auction houses, then try to learn and improve yourself?  One thing I have learn't from MMOs, from days of early UO to date is that there is always someone better than you 1v1, be it PvP, PvE, Auction Houses ... pretty much whatever.  However, when you are part of a great guild, you'll overcome this.

I don't want to play a game where everyone has the exact same experience.  I certainly would like a game with a much more indepth progression system; however, not because of artificial xp caps and the like.

You are correct to assume your game would be niche, i.e. a low amount of people would be interested.  It would certainly be a labour of love, rather than a commercial success.

Good luck all the same!

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

No.

Sounds like a kill, loot, kill, loot, kill, loot game.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Myrdynn

the answer is yes

I would play Asheron's Call 3

problem with a daily cap shouldnt be total exp earned, but amount of time you can earn exp.  I mean nothing was better, in AC then getting our group going, and pushing over 4 mil /hr exp in Tusker Caves, or when Valley of Death opened, pushing to 21 mil/hr and constantly tinkering with group setup and farming paterns to try to top our previous best

I guess I was always in the minority in Asheron's Call as well.  I hated leveling groups and I barely spent time if any at all in places hunting things like Tusker's or Olthoi's (except for Nobles)  I spent my time almost 95% of it hunting the variour Loot pinatas.  Or the rare spawns like Hoary Mattekar's and Diamond Golems.  For me the thrill of the hunt for new loot was much more fun then leveling.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I can't even decide... You gave so little description in that wall of text that I don't even know what the game is about...

It's about him not understanding game economics and being pissed that he can't buy an epic item. So, to solve that, the guy that doesn't have a clue about economics wrote up how he would change the economics of a game so that everyone else is capped to allow him to catch up and have the things they have.

"Nothing pisses me off more in GW2 then constantly being broke because I do not understand supply and demand economical processes." 

"Because I do not know how to "play the Auction House" I'll never be able to afford to buy a legendary precursor because evry day the prices go up thanks to trading post manipulations."

There are a lot of entitlement posts on these boards, but this one really takes the cake.

You could look at it from this perspective if you were blinded by greed and intolerence or you could look at it through the prism of old school games where earning gold came from doing the things that made the game fun.  Such as hunting and killing then looting particular items and selling to a vendor or getting lucky and finding a rare item and selling it to a player.  Not standing in a main city cornering the market on a specific item, or undercutting and being a NYSE stock market analyst with a degree in economics to maximize profit playing the spread sheet.  Its play the game or play the odds, and I'll take playing the effing game every day of the week. 

No one should be able to corner a market or influence an entire games population by artifically being able to raise or lower the value of an item.  Call me a game communist if you must but I think its for the best.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Nope. Too many artificial barriers. I will pass.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

No, it sounds too "gamey". Look, you don't fix the problem of the MMO industry of games being too "gamey" by making them too "gamey" in other ways.

It's like a blind date with a really ugly girl. So next time they try to fix you up on another blind date, you don't ask "does this girl have a different color hair?"

Once upon a time....

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

At first glance I would probably give it a try but I'll go further than your "I also include heavy restrictions on Auction House use.", how about no auction house at all like UO?  If it's a seamless open world with hopefully some kind of player housing then adding limited vendors like UO did where you had to explore the world to find those favourite vendors that offered both rare and or great deals on items, it would surely pull me in for at least a few years of play. :) 

Oh and please offer character customization where you can create a character that doesn't offend your sensibilities while you play, most women gamers don't want to look like hags and most guy gamers I know don't want to be short and bald, even if they are. :)  For clothing, LoTRO has a great design with their outfit options.  Being able to show your equipment or that cool looking robe and hood(or whatever) you just found on some hidden crafter's vendor with optional dyes is a good way to either stand apart or look like a part of a group. 

Note: Viable crafters are a very very important part of what helps keep a world alive, ie. no lootable armour or weapons, only have lootable clothing/crafting mats/exp/gold, then those who don't craft can sell their loot to crafters what they need and in turn will buy what the crafters make and thus the community has a base.

Also, if this is going to be a virtual world, don't forget all the activities that make living in a world fun, ie. fishing, treasure hunting via maps(both on and off land), gaming areas for those who like to sit and play checkers etc and even tournament arenas for those who like to 1v1 to settle scores, etc. etc.  Heck, make a bounty system to combat those who like to play thieves or pirates, that way those who don't want to just pve can make a living that way.

Anyway, if you could make a game similiar to what UO was like just after Tram, when skill was still what defined you but before they added neon colours and nerfed crafting, and had updated graphics with better camera views(please no first person or at least optional only) then I think alot of people would not only give it a try but enjoy it.  As someone else mentioned, 25% of what has seemed to become a culture of endgamers is pretty darn good, multiply that by the millions looking for a "better" game and voila!

Originally posted by Aeolyn

At first glance I would probably give it a try but I'll go further than your "I also include heavy restrictions on Auction House use.", how about no auction house at all like UO?  If it's a seamless open world with hopefully some kind of player housing then adding limited vendors like UO did where you had to explore the world to find those favourite vendors that offered both rare and or great deals on items, it would surely pull me in for at least a few years of play. :)

His problem wouldn't be solved, as his issue isn't the auction house but that people were charging more than he feel he should have to pay for things. The same issue would exist with vendors.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

His problem wouldn't be solved, as his issue isn't the auction house but that people were charging more than he feel he should have to pay for things. The same issue would exist with vendors.

I guess it's all on how you read it, what I took away from his reply is that he's against the few(often ime, hackers and exploiters) manipulating the market and in so doing making goldsellers an option that many would never have considered if prices were more reasonable for the average player. 

UO prevented much of that because each player controlled how much they charged for their items.  Unless there is some way a guild or group of players can corner the market on housing/vendors, there will always be a viable option for those willing to actually play the game by exploring, hunting and crafting themselves instead of sitting with a bank alt at the ah buying and reselling ad nauseam until those who came after can't see any way to progress and just leave.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I am playing that game right now.  Age of Wushu.

Your experience is capped per day but the way the combat works it really does not matter because the player skill is very much the deciding factor.  You have your attacks, feints and blocking ability and so does the opponent.  If you stand there mashing buttons, you die.

You can get every skill in the game, and decide what to level up and it will take a long time, both to level up the skills and just to get them in the first place if they are other school's skills.

There are two types of currency in the game.  Bound silver is what you get from NPC quests and you use that to purchase everything NPCs sell.  But everything that is player made or player sold requires regular silver which is much harder to get.  So they have taken the NPCs currency totally out of the equation with the player economy.

There is a dynamic crafting system where you can create tons of differnent things, and the way the skill system works it adds even more variance to your loot.  Very complex and difficult to understand though.

The world is open.  There are zones so it is not seamless, but you can go anywhere you want.  There are no levels in the game, so it is all skill based like old SWG was.  It is 90% sandbox and 10% themepark.

Pretty much most of hte stuff is eithe rplayer crafted or player enhanced.  There is loot though.  They have cooking, alchemy, poison making, farming, fishing, music, fortune telling...etc.  Lots of different skills.

The skill system is as open ended as you can get.  Take whatever you want if you can get it or make it or loot it, level it up whenever you want.  You are not limited to anything.

There is group content, group PVP events, as well as PVE group content as well as a pretty nifty anti-griefing penalty.  You can kidnap PCs while they are working offline, sell them to whomever....or you can rescue kidnapped players.  Killing a wanted criminal lands him/her in jail, they can excape with the help of an outside group or they can wait it out.  If they are really villianous, they will be publically beheaded....and they can even bribe someone to take their place in the beheading, lol.

The game is out there and you can play it right now.  It's not a western MMO, but it is not a new MMO.  It has been going on in China for a couple of years I think but  the graphics are very stylized.  The systems are basically in place and most of it is working as intended, maybe a few tweaks or additions.  They are beta testing the North American and European release as we speak.

I am not a PVP player, I am terrible at it, but the penalties are really nice so you do not have the problems you had in UO.

In a sense yea.  But not quite right either.

You see my first MMO was Asherons Call in 1999 and I still it as the gold standard for gaming, nothing has ever come close and I started playing it again last week after a few years layoff because of some of the issues I am having with GW2  Such as not beaing able to make money, sure I can make about 1 gold an hour but im looking at 1000 hours or more jsut to be able to afford a Legendary Precursor "at todays" price"  What will the price be in a few months when ive aquired 500 gold?  More then likely double or triple, this main issue is why my playtime has gone drastically down hill.

Why cant tehre be static prices?  What do AH's do for the community?  so many more questions and issues are raised because of this issue IMO.

I always get misty eyed when I go back to AC especially after coming from a new game.

Oh and please offer character customization where you can create a character that doesn't offend your sensibilities while you play, most women gamers don't want to look like hags and most guy gamers I know don't want to be short and bald, even if they are. :)  For clothing, LoTRO has a great design with their outfit options.  Being able to show your equipment or that cool looking robe and hood(or whatever) you just found on some hidden crafter's vendor with optional dyes is a good way to either stand apart or look like a part of a group. 

Note: Viable crafters are a very very important part of what helps keep a world alive, ie. no lootable armour or weapons, only have lootable clothing/crafting mats/exp/gold, then those who don't craft can sell their loot to crafters what they need and in turn will buy what the crafters make and thus the community has a base.

Also, if this is going to be a virtual world, don't forget all the activities that make living in a world fun, ie. fishing, treasure hunting via maps(both on and off land), gaming areas for those who like to sit and play checkers etc and even tournament arenas for those who like to 1v1 to settle scores, etc. etc.  Heck, make a bounty system to combat those who like to play thieves or pirates, that way those who don't want to just pve can make a living that way.

Anyway, if you could make a game similiar to what UO was like just after Tram, when skill was still what defined you but before they added neon colours and nerfed crafting, and had updated graphics with better camera views(please no first person or at least optional only) then I think alot of people would not only give it a try but enjoy it.  As someone else mentioned, 25% of what has seemed to become a culture of endgamers is pretty darn good, multiply that by the millions looking for a "better" game and voila!

reference the highlighted text:  I agree to an extent, but remove the incentive to actually play the game and IMO you remove the players.  I see it all the time in crafting centric games and raid centric games or any game that has "ONE" main way to aquire items, the world becomes dead as everyone do those activities.

Its why I love Asherons Call after all these years, even a game with 30 or 40 people on 12+ years later, the world is still full of adventurers and the 2 main reasons, extended leveling/progression times and dynamic loot system.  In GW2 or WoW you'll hardly see anyone in the world becasue A, the've already hit max level and are farming the only sources to aquire gear (dungeons and raids) and B, it takes them a couple of weeks to hit max level.  Make it take for freaking ever and have the entire world be your oyster and you open the world and emphasize exploration.  Crafting/dungeons/raids do none of those things.

Originally posted by azzamasin

reference the highlighted text:  I agree to an extent, but remove the incentive to actually play the game and IMO you remove the players.  I see it all the time in crafting centric games and raid centric games or any game that has "ONE" main way to aquire items, the world becomes dead as everyone do those activities.

Its why I love Asherons Call after all these years, even a game with 30 or 40 people on 12+ years later, the world is still full of adventurers and the 2 main reasons, extended leveling/progression times and dynamic loot system.  In GW2 or WoW you'll hardly see anyone in the world becasue A, the've already hit max level and are farming the only sources to aquire gear (dungeons and raids) and B, it takes them a couple of weeks to hit max level.  Make it take for freaking ever and have the entire world be your oyster and you open the world and emphasize exploration.  Crafting/dungeons/raids do none of those things.

My point about the crafters is that they are a very important part of what creates a community base, not that they are the be all and end all to the game, they are however what enables others to do what they want to do a little better, ie. go kill that boss for his/her treasure trove, help save the world, or farm those dragons for mats or the resources or area they are guarding that will let you build  that castle/keep you've been wanting or even just to build that new chest you wanted to store your elite loot in. 

The actual incentive to play the game is as varied as the players, depending on who you talk to, but any game that doesn't give you or those other players who may not share your incentive but are a part of the world and thusly important to your game all a reason to play the whole world and enjoy the journey to endgame, instead only offering endgame content that usually consists of nothing but pvp, raids, and dungeons that quickly become boring after the 10th or 100th repeat even for those who insist this is what the game is all about, are missing the boat and therefore lowering their profit margin. 

Negating the incentive/gameplay that many who would be happy to be a part of the world but don't all want to be heroes/heroines is just short sighted.  That's why imo even after the debacle in UO before Tram the devs didn't get rid of pvp or Felucca, they instead gave players an option.

I guess it's all on how you read it, what I took away from his reply is that he's against the few(often ime, hackers and exploiters) manipulating the market and in so doing making goldsellers an option that many would never have considered if prices were more reasonable for the average player. 

UO prevented much of that because each player controlled how much they charged for their items.  Unless there is some way a guild or group of players can corner the market on housing/vendors, there will always be a viable option for those willing to actually play the game by exploring, hunting and crafting themselves instead of sitting with a bank alt at the ah buying and reselling ad nauseam until those who came after can't see any way to progress and just leave.

There is nothing to prevent the AH scenario he speaks of from happening with player vendors. It could be done faster with an AH, but just as easily doable with vendors. Re-read his post and his followup posts. He wants price caps on things so that they cannot be sold for more than what he thinks the value is, demand be damned.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    I think that sandbox mmo's should have some themepark design in it, think of it more like a tutorial . I don't mind free for all pvp but like in real life it should have some dire concequences. Griefers could be hunted down and jailed or executed with some typ of significant loss!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689