Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How do you pronounce MMORPG?

QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that if an acronym is used often enough, someone will try to pronounce it.  So, how do you pronounce MMORPG?  I vote for "more pig", so that the plural, MMORPGs, becomes "more pigs".  Saying each letter separately, as in em-em-oh-arr-pee-gee, is too clumsy.  Do you have any better ideas?

Comments

• Saur0nSaur0n Denver, COPosts: 115Member Uncommon
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee
  • Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe N/A, NYPosts: 221Member
    Mmorpguh
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,676Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Saur0n
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

Same, or I just reduce it to Em Em Oh when speaking. I haven't heard anyone in the industry ever pronounce it as a word. (*cue the dolt that links Yahtzee*)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Summerville, SCPosts: 412Member Uncommon
    Its clearly MUH MORE PIG...jk M-M-O-R-P-G.

Spiritsever - AR/Ele - The Secret World
    Ashmaker - Ranger < Prophets > - Age of Conan - #1 in Kills
    Sweety - Sorceress < Infinite Darkeness > - SWTOR - 2.6K PvP Rating
    ??? - Pilot - ??? - EVE
    Symir - Swordmaster - Warhammer - RR100
    Dreadnaught - Rogue - Rift
  • BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Boston, MAPosts: 22Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

Same, or I just reduce it to Em Em Oh when speaking.

+1

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    I normaly just refer to them as MMO's. The RPG,FPS or whatever rarely ever comes up unless someone doesn't know about the specific one we're talking about. I can't really see myself ever calling one of these games a more pig.
  • corpusccorpusc Chattanooga, TNPosts: 1,330Member

muh more pig guh

The End
    ---------------------------
    i don't expect to like Darkfall, altho i may like it MORE than other MMOs. i know it is gonna have a very frustrating level of grind to it, even if its significantly less than most. waiting for a pure FAST action virtual world. dice rolling & character levels (even "skills") IN COMBAT should have never carried over from pencil & paper to a computer that can reasonably model 3D spaces and objects

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,676Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I normaly just refer to them as MMO's. The RPG,FPS or whatever rarely ever comes up unless someone doesn't know about the specific one we're talking about. I can't really see myself ever calling one of these games a more pig.

more pig online

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon

I love it:

Morpug

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore salem, ORPosts: 672Member

I PRONOUNCE IT:

BADASS WITH A SWORD IN YO FACE!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Wagga WaggaPosts: 126Member
    mmmore-pergh
  • ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon
    Emm Emm Oh Err Peh Geh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DragonantisDragonantis DublinPosts: 974Member
    Mmmoooooo errr pehh gee
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    It's like how the Hebrews feel about the true name of God, it's never to be pronounced. If I actually try to describe it vocally to others I tell them I play online games.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 620Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe
    Mmorpguh

^^^^

Go watch a review by Zero Punctuation on some MMORPG... He does it, sounds pretty good/funny.  That's how it should be done!

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Harker Heights, TXPosts: 371Member
    MUM-OR-PUH-GUH

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYPosts: 911Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It's like how the Hebrews feel about the true name of God, it's never to be pronounced. If I actually try to describe it vocally to others I tell them I play online games.

this

• tort0429tort0429 New York City, NYPosts: 300Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that if an acronym is used often enough, someone will try to pronounce it.  So, how do you pronounce MMORPG?  I vote for "more pig", so that the plural, MMORPGs, becomes "more pigs".  Saying each letter separately, as in em-em-oh-arr-pee-gee, is too clumsy.  Do you have any better ideas?

Laughing to hard....hilarious thread.  Thanks Quiz!!

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Posts: 1,606Member Uncommon

In my mind, years ago, I started pronouncing it "morp" for some reason but if I ever say it out loud I usually just say M-M-O.

I've seen people change the acronym to MMOG which I think isn't a bad idea because it's at least pronouncable.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat SP, MOPosts: 312Member

MMORPG = more pigs = more bacon?

Thus MMORPG is clearly pronounced "bacon".

• kingj0nkingj0n Brownsville, TXPosts: 14Member

I'll never get to the stage of being pronounced.

Everyone accepted that they just call it MMOs for short.

• NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Em Em Oh Are Pee Gee

• ste2000ste2000 londonPosts: 4,706Member Uncommon

em em oh ar pe gee........obviously

How do you pronunce CIA or FBI?  Is there any other way to pronunce it?

What's the point of this thread?

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    Why do some people insist on trying to pronounce every acronym as a word?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LethalElementLethalElement Weirton, WVPosts: 9Member
    I see what ya did there.