Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elikals MMORPG predictions for 2013

13»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I can kind of agree with the OP on this one.  However, it is in moments like this where gems come out of nowhere.  Look at console games as an example.  Who knew before this year how awesome Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3 or a few others I can't think of right now, would be?  I sure don't remember those being the big games at E3.  Well maybe AC3, but Far Cry 3?  I never would have seen myself playing a game from that series.  Best part of the games I mentioned, they are using MMORPG staples such as open world aspects, crafting, deep side missions and progression systems.

Which is why I think since no one is looking for the Next great MMO is when the next great MMO will hit or at least give us a handful of awesome gems in the genre.   I'm a bit of an optimist though.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The difference is that the very first AAA MMOrpgs where made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

Games today be made by an underpaid overburdened arbitrarily adjusted wageworker force.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Elikal
    We live in a time of gaming barbary, resting on the laurels of greater days and inable to create with the greatness of the past.

I totally agree with you. Once upon a time of few and fantastic MMOs with the right number of players and the right money income. Was the pre WoW age. Then, after Blizzard MMO, everything is changed: MMO is no more a game genre for few players but a really massive one.

But producers and developers was blind, looking for WoW 2.0: only Blizzard can beat Blizzard.

Or, maybe, WoW should be the only one really massive MMO with a lot of stupid carbon copied games around it.

Now MMO list on this site is long, very long, with thousands voices. But looking at cancelled list and people, maybe, can find the right path: too many games killed by too many games.

Or producers and deveropers come back to golden age or they should find a new way in order to restart this dying genre. With CRPG was easy, thanks to BioWare, Bethesda and other few game developers. But what about MMOs? BioWare failed, Mythic failed. Will Bethesda fail too or The Elder Scroll Online become the MMO of a new golden (or silver) era?

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

The difference is that the very first AAA MMOrpgs where made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.Games today be made by an underpaid overburdened arbitrarily adjusted wageworker force.

This
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I'm looking more towards 2014 and beyond, although Age of Wushu might be worth a try, and maybe The Repopulation if they get off the ground. ArcheAge and World of Darkness are ones to watch in 2014+ though... I hope!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Guild wars 2 expansion next year... Lol
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    MMOs aren't really going to be able to go anywhere until it becomes a hell of a lot cheaper to make one of the bloody things as far as I am concerned.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

massivelys top 10 for 2013

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/03/the-perfect-ten-new-mmos-to-watch-in-2013/

1.  City of Steam
    2.  Defiance
    3.  WildStar
    4.  Age of Wushu
    5.  DUST 514
    6.  Neverwinter
    7.  World of Warplanes
    8.  ArcheAge
    9.  Marvel Heroes
    10. The Elder Scrolls Online

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    ArcheAge is the new GW2 for 2013 and it's a hybrid themepark / sandbox game so do not give up hope Elikal because this game could turn out to be all that you were hoping for in a MMORPG.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    ArcheAge is the new GW2 for 2013 and it's a hybrid themepark / sandbox game so do not give up hope Elikal because this game could turn out to be all that you were hoping for in a MMORPG.

Sure about that?  A great many companies seem to suddenly be leaping at the "let's make a sandbox!" bullet point this year.

Dunno, maybe their exit-polling suggests that more and more people departing games have the word in their exit rant, or something. 

As usual, when this industry turns in a trendy direction, they go all at once (the great "more soloability!" flock movement of 2003, for example).  Or "More Facebook community!" in 2010.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

No, it is not.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Elikal

Are...

*drumroll*

NONE.

I am sorry. No, it's not some kind of joke. More a sort of a different kind of message. You see, there were times when I felt MMOs were moving forward. Not always in the right direction or for better, but there was *some* movement, some sort of development. There were games whose rise and fall mattered. Vanguard, Warhammer, Age of Conan up until SWTOR, which IMVPO was the last of the MMOs which "counted".

Today, I have no predictions to make. I mean, I could. But today we are so damn flooded with average MMOs and legions of niche-MMOs, of which nobody even expects anything great. Sure, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, SWTOR, they all rose high and fell deep. But they tried to aim for something big. Now, MMos like TESO, Neverwinter... I don't feel it's even worth speculating about them.

In part it is sure me, who has gotten disullisioned and worn out. But I WOULD play a really cool MMO, just I don't expect it anymore. Perhaps great MMOs were only possible when the market only had few, in days of EQ or even when WOW was newer. Today, when a MMO launches, another MMO launches a few weeks later and then another and another one. With that background, I think it's close to impossible to make something grand. I feel SWTOR was probably the last attempt, and now new MMOs don't even aim for completeness anymore. They aim for a small audience right away. Which is ok, but just not what I want from MMOs, and therefore it doesn't matter. Predictions are not worth it on such a small scale. There simply is nothing to really look forward as THE big MMO. It has all too much become a standardized market and too less a place for visions and dreams, for epic proportions of adventure and excitement. It's all just "ok mass-ware". Which is ok, but just nothing to write home about.

No more dreams.

No more legends to tell about the development of MMO X.

I have this deep and sad feeling that the gaming genre pe se is stuck, like on a plateau. And there are no great new visions. Nothing to see. Maybe it is the normal development when something gets out of the niche for geeks to mass entertainment. But that sure is something I don't feel at home so much anymore. And not because I am burnt out of games or MMOs. I would sure love to bite my teeth into a great game, and a few times I did. Like Skyrim. But such things are rare, even in many other game genres, which I loved to play, like strategy games. Oh the great days of Master of Orion or Civilization II, Heroes of Might and Magic or Command and Conquer. What came afterwards were just shallow epigones.

We live in a time of gaming barbary, resting on the laurels of greater days and inable to create with the greatness of the past.

Seems like a lot of words to describe that you have nothing to say. 

I'm sure glad that I'm not solely dependant on other peoples acheivements to entertain me. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    I'm currently playing ArcheAge and it's basically Vanguard 2.0 - polished this time - with castle sieges, gliders, big sea battles, open world, housing and more.