Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you think has the most passionate fan base?

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I currently think that Darkfall does.  I keep seeing examples like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htU_YO3E9Ec&feature=youtu.be

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRrk3I6c_LM&feature=youtu.be

Edit:  Oh and don't forget this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbiKdPXarw

People love playing Darkfall, despite the incompetance of Aventurine.

Who do you think has the most passionate fanbase, and feel free to provide some examples.  Please don't make this thread about X game is better than Y game.  Instead make it about a celebration of the different types of passion exhibited by MMO players. 

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Any dying title will have the most passionate fan base
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

its the onl game that managed to pass greenlight in 2 days and even with his current flaws ( that will be solved within the first working week) it is still the most hyped game here on this page.

So i agree

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    From what I've seen so far, these three seem to be really up there: Asheron's Call, EVE Online and FFXI

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    From what I've seen so far, these three seem to be really up there: Asheron's Call, EVE Online and FFXI

Yeah, I remember this one story I read from EVE that I thought was epic...found it:

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

The above is another good example.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I currently think that [hmphhmm] does.. 

Is passion by itself a worthwhile goal? [hmphhmm because I am not referring to any specific game].

As you know, it's rather easy to generate passion, particularly if you have a couple of good rabble-rousers and enough "me toos". 

Is that the passion you're looking for, the orator who can raise a forum mob?

From my observation, raising a mob of pvp fanboys only involves convincing them that if they play (game z), they'll be 'more hardcore' than the players of (game y).

Is that the passion you're looking for, a game that can "sell" feelings of innate superiority?

We all know one Great Big Game that has a seemingly endless supply of fanboys.  The Marching Chinese analogy (you could like them up four across, start them marching, and never reach the end of the line...)

Is that the "most passion" you're looking for, the inexhaustible supply?

Narrow down a bit which result you're after, and we'll help you select the 'passionate" game.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I am pretty sure the answer is WoW......filter away all the kiddy casuals, and you will find some seriously huge, hardcore communities.
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I currently think that [hmphhmm] does.. 

Is passion by itself a worthwhile goal? [hmphhmm because I am not referring to any specific game].

As you know, it's rather easy to generate passion, particularly if you have a couple of good rabble-rousers and enough "me toos". 

Is that the passion you're looking for, the orator who can raise a forum mob?

From my observation, raising a mob of pvp fanboys only involves convincing them that if they play (game z), they'll be 'more hardcore' than the players of (game y).

Is that the passion you're looking for, a game that can "sell" feelings of innate superiority?

We all know one Great Big Game that has a seemingly endless supply of fanboys.  The Marching Chinese analogy (you could like them up four across, start them marching, and never reach the end of the line...)

Is that the "most passion" you're looking for, the inexhaustible supply?

Narrow down a bit which result you're after, and we'll help you select the 'passionate" game.

Just looking for examples of fans going above and beyond.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    EVE in my opinion, from the plethora of fan created documentation, tools, and game guides to the epic campaigns spanning months if not years in the battle for space. No game has elicited as much anger or tears IMO, and few games will rival it's fanbase for passion or loyalty. 450k served now I hear.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Just looking for examples of fans going above and beyond.

In that case your answer is: Nearly All of Them.

Or don't you remember one (or many) terrible games with a truly baffling number of fans?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    EVE in my opinion, from the plethora of fan created documentation, tools, and game guides to the epic campaigns spanning months if not years in the battle for space. No game has elicited as much anger or tears IMO, and few games will rival it's fanbase for passion or loyalty. 450k served now I hear.

Yet when i login, the max I see is 20k, and chat is filled with russian charecters :(

(I agree with your assesment of its community though)

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    The Miami Dolphins have the most passionate fan base.  GO PHINS!
    Originally posted by moshra

This one I generally call on the basis of Tailgates.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by doodphace

Yet when i login, the max I see is 20k, and chat is filled with russian charecters :(

You play at some odd times then. Maybe change system?

BTW, 52,389 players in-game right now. Hop in!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Would you throw things at me, if I wrote that based on a recent poll Pirates 101 has the most passionate fanbase visiting the site... Hmmm! And you know, like a good overnight guest they didn't stay around for breakfast in the morning either. 

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

If you want to go by fan created tools, guides, et al, Eve can't come within a globular cluster-width of WoW's fanbase for that. Moreover, at least in my experience, the WoW guides and such are far more likely to be reasonably up-to-date, whereas I've run into a depressing amount of Eve material that was badly dated.

I will say Eve's fanbase is passionate, something the bulk of WoW's tends not to be (though there are many who are, you're talking millions here), I'm just not entirely sure what it is they're passionate about -- it doesn't necessarily seem to be the game itself. Nor, from reading the forums and in-game chat, is it clear whether or not most of them know. I certainly wouldn't count on their loyalty, as Monocle-gate showed, it wouldn't take much to chase many away. If the Goons get their way with the extreme hisec nerfs they want, and I suspect they will, we just might get to see just how many. There's only so many double/triple/whatever deals CCP can do to cover, and I suspect they've long since saturated that fallback.

In any event, for the most passionate I'd look to games that no longer exist, at least for all practical purposes. UO, DAoC, SWG, their memory, before the inevitable and convenient ruination, is perfection itself, the likes of which will never be seen again. Those rose coloured glasses are something many will defend to their dying breath, with a passion they would expend neither for god nor country.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by doodphace

I can see more than 52k right now :-/

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I gotta go with Rift or DDO. Both games are not very well populated, but they have a very active fanbase.
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Pirates 101 and they have the added advantage that they don't act like twats on this site.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Would you throw things at me, if I wrote that based on a recent poll Pirates 101 has the most passionate fanbase visiting the site... Hmmm! And you know, like a good overnight guest they didn't stay around for breakfast in the morning either. 

Yeah I'll pay your cab fare home
    You can even use my best cologne
    Just don't be here in the morning when I wake up.

(Ronnie Wood solo)

Damn, ronnie wood's just a kid in the Faces video.  I feel old.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Hating seems to have the most passionate fan base. 

Someone dislikes a game?  Oh they'll try to convince you it's the most horrid, steaming pile of putrescent garbage ever spewed forth on the planet in the history of mankind.  In reality nearly no game can honestly be that bad.  But not according to most who just didn't like it.  It's the worst thing to happen in human history.  Ever. 

I was hoping for more examples like in my OP.  I'm at work with the day to kill and would enjoy the reprieve.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Well i dont know what game has the most passion now, but back when i was playing ffxi hardcore, it had a really strong fanebase and lots of ppl logging in every day. I was very passionat about that game. I played it non stop for over 4 years, before my old computer completly died :(. Kinda got outa the habbit playing it, cause it took me forever to replace it.

I heard the abbysea add on's killed some peaples passion for the game. I played it pretty much hardcore up to about the time those started coming out, so i actually never did abbysea. But from what i hear, it ruined it for alot of ppl.

Even now i went to ffxiah.com and the community is very active on those forumns still.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Ultima Online who swear the game was best before [insert expansion]

:P

For me it was AOS

Oh and nice to hear in an interview EA expected uo to live 6 months with a player base of 30k max  - and people wonder why ea sucks ....

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Loktofeit From what I've seen so far, these three seem to be really up there: Asheron's Call, EVE Online and FFXI
    Yeah, I remember this one story I read from EVE that I thought was epic...found it:

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

The above is another good example.

Thanks! That was a good read =)

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by moshra

You got that right.Go Phins!

AS far as mmo's I think WoW fans are up at the top,so many people acting like no mmo existed before that game.Not literally,but you know.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark