Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cartel Market rakes in the cash

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/29/swtor-fan-site-posts-cartel-market-poll-results/#comments

So....if one person spends $100 in the Cartel Market that's the equivalent of 6 people subbing for one month.

And because I was reminded here SO MANY times that even a small sample is an accurate indicator of what the playerbase as a whole is doing, that must mean EA's making money hand over fist right now.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

a lot of people do use it as i see the items all over the place in game (i have bought some coins myself).

i bet most of them are subscribers though. F2P people just want to play a free game.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I have my fingers crossed that they'll use this boost in revune to continue building the game up. I hope they don't get blinded by dollar signs and let the cartel market become abusive.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    I have my fingers crossed that they'll use this boost in revune to continue building the game up. I hope they don't get blinded by dollar signs and let the cartel market become abusive.

Having subbed since headstart, I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen. As soon as it becomes P2W in any fashion that affects endgame raiding or instances at all, I'm out. I don't care about spending money to buff yourself for minigames, Im' talking about selling end-game gear you can only get through raiding.

Now, that aside, I am one of those that has spent more than $100, probably close to $200 to be honest. While I know the F2P'ers don't like the cash shop, as a Subber I like it a lot obviously. I like SWTOR more now than I did before F2P mainly becuase the zones are packed. Was leveling my 32 Shadow and my 43 BH today, zones each had more than 150 people in them. Fun Fun.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    That's going to be a VERY biased sample group.  Hard to read much from it considering it's a Star Wars fansite.  There are also a lot of one time unlocks that will show up with early purchases.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I recently returned. I have only spent the coins I was given, but I did resub. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the "expansion" too.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Considering how cheap even the rare items from cartel packs are lots of peopl are buying them. I admit to buy way more then I should. I know the guy who spent 125 k CC so far LOL... that's equivalent of $1200 - almost 100 subs. And you hear box popping all the time on fleet.

I am not going to say how much I spent though.. LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    That's going to be a VERY biased sample group.  Hard to read much from it considering it's a Star Wars fansite.  There are also a lot of one time unlocks that will show up with early purchases.

2500 darthater visitors voted and 26% of them spent $100 to $200...

Conservative estimate from that sample group alone:  $70,000

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

2500 people is not a small sample group. Medical tests on life and death medicamentation(like cancer) is done on far smaller sample sizes.

Obviously fansites are mostly visited by people already dedicated to the game. That being said, yes they are making silly amounts of money with the cartel market. All F2P games with a sizeable population do. Its like putting a one armed bandit into a corner of your restaurant, your not selling less food, but you will make extra money with it.

Reason being that many people have no problem a sub, thats fine. However there is a subgroup in those subbers, that don't have any problem spending 10x a subs value on a ingame store if it happens to carry something they like. I spent like 50$ myself, getting field respecs and the like for all my chars, its quite handy and i don't mind the money.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Hopefully they can put a few bucks of that back into the game by way of improving customer service, fixing bugs and getting some class story content.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    All cash shop gaming is a slippery slope. It's all about slow boiling the frogs, but folks in general lack the foresight and imagination to see where things are going based on the indicators around them.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Rocketeer

2500 people is not a small sample group. Medical tests on life and death medicamentation(like cancer) is done on far smaller sample sizes.

2500 is indeed not a small sample... in a properly randomized public poll or scientific trial. This is anything but one of those. The respondents are self-selected from people who like the game enough to follow a fan site for it and who care enough to take the time to fill out the survey. This is made obvious by the fact that the vast majority of the respondents to the poll are subscribers. If the same poll was conducted here on MMORPG.com the results would be quite different.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Went back recently and enjoying the game. I will sub and spend whatever coins i get every month in cartel market. Subbing is still the cheapest option for SWTOR compared to being a freemimum player.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It is all fresh, and exciting, and then you realise you are just flushing your money down the drain, and slow down / stop spending

I do not understand why people would keep spending money on lottery stuff, I did not even do it on SWG TCG not even once, even though there were reports of others doing so. The only time I spent on the TCG was to get a stuffed tauntaun on 3 accounts and several time, but that was for charity and whatever we paid to SOE, SOE paid double to the charity.

Even more now that the realistation of if getting anything will be gone when game shuts down. Although I did top up my ZEN on STO because I am not spending any money on that at all, and getting a fuller gaming experience for free, but that was intended for char slots and stuff, then my friend got an item out of buying one of these packs by chance as bought them for the packs itself and not the item, and I then tried, but failed many many times, and blew all my ZEN. Never again, and now I am just playing STO to grind dilithium and get my ZEN back which I lost, saving me my money

Money would be better spent given to charity / helping out the recessions or flushed down the toilet (as at least you get to see a pretty vortex effect as your money gets sucked away!) Espceially when EA are not progressing the game fast enough, or doing enough with it, and the way they are doing things seems as though they are just trying to get as much money to pay back for the development of everything so far, and have no intentions on updating the game past June 2013, when shortyly aftwrards they will announce its closure.

What would get me to sub and pay money to SWTOR and EA, is if they stop being lazy or purpsosely driving the game into the ground, and just flood the game with content, like SOE did with SWG, Turbine does to LOTRO, Blizzard does to WOW, Cryptic/Perfect World does to STO, Trion does to Rift, Pargon Studios did to City of Heroes etc

I am not subbibing, although did one last time to get the CCC, which was over 3000 CC, and have not spent any of my complimentary coins or any real money in the market at all

I am waiting to unlock more char slots. Hopefully it will be in by the time the expansion comes, although may not be needed as if I sub to get expansion then would not need to buy more char slots, unless they then lock out your extra chars, which will get more crappy as time goes one - people enjoyibng the game for months on F2P from being subbed, with their chars they created when subbed, and then all of a sudden your extra toons are locked out. Hopefully the will do what STO do, not lock out chars, and allow you to buy 2 char slots, and if you have more slots than what you should have under F2P, then you only get one char slot.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by DashiDMV
    Hopefully they can put a few bucks of that back into the game by way of improving customer service, fixing bugs and getting some class story content.

If anything, what I'd expect from EA is to pump the money into corporate profits.  Their stock is bouncing around the 5 year low set earlier this year.  My guess is corporate wants profits up to make the stock more attractive.  They took a huge hit in 2008 when the market fell out, but unlike many of the public traded stocks, it never recovered.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by meddyck

2500 is indeed not a small sample... in a properly randomized public poll or scientific trial. This is anything but one of those. The respondents are self-selected from people who like the game enough to follow a fan site for it and who care enough to take the time to fill out the survey. This is made obvious by the fact that the vast majority of the respondents to the poll are subscribers. If the same poll was conducted here on MMORPG.com the results would be quite different.

But doesn't that make it much more relevant? It's a poll of people who play and subscribe to the game. A poll here would definitely skew in the other direction, but it would be useless data. It is irrelevant whether some guy who doesn't play, wouldn't play or actively hates on the game would use the item mall or not.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Over 90% of left handed people write with their left hand.

Clearly most people are left handed.

• Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50

Now I feel like a tightwad for only spending $4.99 on it.  Must_resist_temptation!

But let's say there's another 100k subbers(a modest number) who only spend what I did--that still comes out to a hair under $2 million in revenue.  All of a sudden TOR's notorious development budget doesn't look so insurmountable.

This is where the license is really going to pay off for them.  Where all other MMOs(outside of LOTRO I guess) are only going to sell Generic Fantasy Item#23234 in their shops, EA's tapping into the lucrative Star Wars collector demographic. 

The current selection in the Cartel Market doesn't even scratch the surface of what they can put up for sale. 

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The numbers being presented are very typical of a F2P conversion. No one should be surprised by these numbers. Numbers like this were first shown when DDO converted to F2P, and have followed suite with most games that have converted since them. People should be surprised when a game does NOT get this type of boost....
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Chieftan

I'd imagine thats pretty much the entirety of those that care enough about SWTOR to actually spend cash on it. I wouldn't really call it a sample group in the traditional sense due to the specific focus of the fan site. 

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

I hate cash shops and think people who spend large amounts of cash in em are idiots, yet when ever I see a poll asking how much I spent in the cash shop I always pick the highest value available regardless of whether I even play the game. You can take $100 from your total, that was me.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

To be fair, no polling on mmorpg.com would be indicative of any MMO reality...

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I hate cash shops and think people who spend large amounts of cash in em are idiots, yet when ever I see a poll asking how much I spent in the cash shop I always pick the highest value available regardless of whether I even play the game. You can take $100 from your total, that was me.

i agree wholeheartedly with this statement as well. People who have to spend money on pixels ina  video game to feel ahead of the rest need to go see a doctor seriously. Obviously though there are way more of them than people like me or we wouldnt see the success these shops see in all these annoying games. I know when i was playing SWTOR before i cancelled my account everyone was riding around on thrones and using purple/pink lightsaber crystals from the cartell packs so im sure EA is laughing its way to the bank. But if you think its so bad in SWTOR you are in for a serious issue as EA does this in all their games especially the ones on android like the sims. Hell you have to buy unlocks on the sims on tablets just to get them to sleep faster or eat faster as its super slow if you do not. IMO the shadiest company in the history of gaming. But as long as people have money to burn they will thrieve , i just feel very sorry for their families if they are spending thousands of dollars in cash shops instead of spending it on their wives or kids seriously.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

But doesn't that make it much more relevant? It's a poll of people who play and subscribe to the game. A poll here would definitely skew in the other direction, but it would be useless data. It is irrelevant whether some guy who doesn't play, wouldn't play or actively hates on the game would use the item mall or not.

Quite naive if you think they are answering honestly and not out to prove something.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

it looks like the CC is bugged too

some of those, who actually WANT to spend money cant get anything

and IF they were making such a big pile of cash,,,why did they still choose to charge for makeb?

this will continue as long as the the fans will throw money at them,,now lets see how much of that money

gets reinvested in the game

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by simplius

it looks like the CC is bugged too

some of those, who actually WANT to spend money cant get anything

and IF they were making such a big pile of cash,,,why did they still choose to charge for makeb?

this will continue as long as the the fans will throw money at them,,now lets see how much of that money

gets reinvested in the game

None will get reinvested, they have huuuuuuuuuge debt to service and interests arent going down.

Makeb was just a hint at how things stand at EA.