Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Digital Expansion Incoming

13»

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

The Expansion should be called- Rise of the EA/Bioware Cartel

The Hutts cant hold a candle to those crooks

Really? I guess many people already forgot how generous BioWare was gifting all loyal subscribers with one free month in not so far past...  if this is not generosity.. I don't know what it is...

But of course... I bet you will argue that they did it so their numbers look better... or whatever else, just not that they did a great thing.

Cheers.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DeeterDeeter Member UncommonPosts: 135

I feel spoiled by GW2 having new content updates for free every month. RIFT less so but those guys know how to spend their time wisely on HUGE amounts of content.

This game has had no meaningful content for an entire year since release and they have the nerve to charge us $20 for a new planet with only five levels of missions? They expect me to believe all the VA for all the characters and companions came back for this? Yeah right. They still can't even release a new character RACE [that is the easiest thing in the world to implement since it's just a normal human with a cat face] that they showed at E3, half a year ago. EA/Bioware is a joke.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

which makes this an update not an exapnsion. I resubbed for the f2p release and was absolutely shocked at the cartel market, what they're charging for and the total lack of progress this game has taken.

If this "update" comes out without any real changes to the game i foresee this being disastrous to them.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I can't believe they're charging for this.  Obvious cash grab.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Yay Rise of the Cartel market... i mean Hutt cartel, thats what i ment to say. yeah.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I laughed so hard when I read this. Not even going to bother explaining why lol

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Really? I guess many people already forgot how generous BioWare was gifting all loyal subscribers with one free month in not so far past...  if this is not generosity.. I don't know what it is...

But of course... I bet you will argue that they did it so their numbers look better... or whatever else, just not that they did a great thing.

Cheers.

That is not genorosity, that is them trying to salvage whatever they could. I played, Enjoyed the game all the way to 50, and then got really sad at how it went from something so great, to something so below mediocre.  Doing the same instances once per day was not fun. Rage timers on bosses is very weak in my opinion, not does it add to the difficulty. It just means get better gear to kill faster.  PVP planet was a joke, so not going into that. Space combat was alright for the first few missions, but then i stopped because i felt it had no real merrit. not to mention sever class imbalances. Also im sad i lvled to 50 in just a little over a week. 

So that free month can be considered compensation, an apology, and many other things except generosity. And the Expansion does look weak. Plus the new business model for f2p is terrible. With a crappy f2p model, they want people to now go and buy an expansion? I know people will, but i wont as i find it insulting. 

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Cheers.

It's a hook just like the e-mails they sent out and why they keep expanding the date for people to resub to get their Cartel Coins.

Kind of bummed about the limited story. Makes it sound like Makeb will just be a planet wide version of a Black Hole or Section X. Guess that means getting companions over 10000 will be off the table as well.

It's 10 dollars and not like it will be a titanic loss but I think this is where I will take a good hard look and see if there will be will be any kind of future for the continuation of the personal stories. I don't PvP and the Gear Tredmill doesn't look appealing so the story and lore is what I am staying for. Hopefully will get some news after the holidays are over.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Cheers.

It's a hook just like the e-mails they sent out and why they keep expanding the date for people to resub to get their Cartel Coins.

Kind of bummed about the limited story. Makes it sound like Makeb will just be a planet wide version of a Black Hole or Section X. Guess that means getting companions over 10000 will be off the table as well.

It's 10 dollars and not like it will be a titanic loss but I think this is where I will take a good hard look and see if there will be will be any kind of future for the continuation of the personal stories. I don't PvP and the Gear Tredmill doesn't look appealing so the story and lore is what I am staying for. Hopefully will get some news after the holidays are over.

yeah SWTOR's "expansion" is pretty lame.  It won't include class stories:

Story content in the new expansion

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/86619-story-content-in-the-new-expansion

AllisonBerryman

12 / 18 / 2012

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines.
    No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

It's pretty much on par with WoW's ToC (WotLK expansion), except ToC was given away for free to subscribers. (ToC had common dailies / goals.. also common dungeon / raid).  Common meaning both factions had the same (ie cheap content).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Woot! Can't wait. :)

Agree. :-) Best game ever for me, along with Wow.

But have problems ordering expansion, trying since first mail, always getting "An error has occurred while trying to process your request. Please, try again later.".

Any1 with same problem? Support is kind'a slow to respond. Not that i have any urgent need already now, just as kind of support. Btw, Swtor is only game so far to which I continue to be subscribed even if not playing for last 4 months or so. :-) Before have been playing for 7 to 8 months withou interruptions.

Hope they will not repeat same joke as with release when game was not available in all countries at start. Had to go to neighbouring county. :-)

Originally posted by Karteli

yeah SWTOR's "expansion" is pretty lame.  It won't include class stories:

Story content in the new expansion

http://www.darthhater.com/devtracker/topic/86619-story-content-in-the-new-expansion

AllisonBerryman

12 / 18 / 2012

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines.
    No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

It's pretty much on par with WoW's ToC (WotLK expansion), except ToC was given away for free to subscribers. (ToC had common dailies / goals.. also common dungeon / raid).  Common meaning both factions had the same (ie cheap content).

Hmm.. this makes me feel little sad now, I have not been reading all details before. Exactly story lines for classes are one of the best parts. Hope this is not final.

Another Hmm ... I hope they are not doing mistake with this:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7146

Can I buy a boxed copy of Rise of the Hutt Cartel?

<p articlecontent"="">
     No, Rise of the Hutt Cartel is a download-only Digital Expansion. Boxed copies will not be available for purchase.

I have no problem with this, but many do not like digital download and want to have hardcopy. Also I hope they will not cripple again start with selective start of expansion like they did with original release.
  • KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    They are a business! Can't give it all away free.....
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Kreeture
    They are a business! Can't give it all away free.....

It would be understandable if it was more content, like adding Kashyyyk or multiplayer space, but this was supposed to be free, and was supposed to be in before the end of 2012. Now it will not be in until June 2013, 6 months later costing another $90 in monthly fees, all for the same content when should have had more.

EA are streteching out what little content they have, and milking loyal fans for all they are worth, although I am sure they are loving it.

I am not subbing / playing /paying more money to EA until at least this is in, if at all. If they put it in now for free, then I would probably sub for it, and then if more content is in by June 2013, then I could carry on subbing, so they can charge for this, but all they will get from me come June 2013 will be $25, and not $90

• waits1972waits1972 Member Posts: 46
    Why do people always complain that this game needs to be "fixed." I have played it regularly since launch and can only recall having issues on a few occasions.  The game runs fine on my machine and it's a relatively obsolete PC. I'm excited for more content!  Agreed, it's probably not an epic expansion, but it only cost ten dollars.  I've never understood why the haters have such an emotional response to this game.  I don't waste my time talking smack on games I don't care for.  I just refrain from playing them. Simple.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by waits1972
    Why do people always complain that this game needs to be "fixed." I have played it regularly since launch and can only recall having issues on a few occasions.  The game runs fine on my machine and it's a relatively obsolete PC. I'm excited for more content!  Agreed, it's probably not an epic expansion, but it only cost ten dollars.  I've never understood why the haters have such an emotional response to this game.  I don't waste my time talking smack on games I don't care for.  I just refrain from playing them. Simple.

The thing is though, I do care for the game, but in its current state and direction by EA, I am not paying or playing, but I would like to do so.

I am hoping that the fans will take on board our comments and pass it on to Bioware on the official forums or whatever, where non subbed people can not post, saying something like "This is awesome what you do, I play and pay no matter what, but if you did this then I know more people would come and play", but no  all we get from fans is "nothing is wrong" and go bury your heads back in the sand.

What is wrong with this contnet is that is should have been free, and it was said it would be put in before the end of 2012. It is ready to go NOW, but they are holding back to string loyal players along.  Would you not have liked this makeb expansion in game now already, and then more content like kashyyyk being added in Spring 2013 as well?  You may like mediocrity but not many do, and if if you can pass that on to EA/BW then that would be great.

The thing is most people who do not play will not bother with this game or even post about it, I gave SWTOR breathing space from Aug to Nov, and they had their moment with F2P, but it all fell flat, and they are still failing to deliver content. Most people will now walk away and then never look back. If they flooded the game with content now, then it will perk peoples interest in the game, and the thought of this load of content will give hope that more content will come, even if it does not. EAs time for the game is NOW, if they want it to succeed. If they want a break from updating the game they can do so later in the year, when they have turned the game around. SWTOR is getting less updates than a single player game with DLC, and for a game with a $15 fee and a very restrictive F2P system, it is not on at all.

• Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24
     What is "broken" in the current game?

I only dropped back into the game yesterday for the first time since I left just after the end of the Rakghoul event. I left becuase I felt that bad decissions amongst the gaming companies' executives had translated to a very ho-hum gaming experience. Not long after that I played another MMO with a far less enthusiatic base, but also plagued by bad decissions upon executives, and some bad/controversial decissions by devs. It was interesting, I life subbed the latter and not swtor, in short I think because despite it's flaws the latter was more to my liking. The latter, like swtor, went f2p (actually b2p) and, unlike swtor,  I felt they appreciated anyone who had previously bought the game, with a heavier compensation for those who life-subbed. When I came back yesterday, I felt  there was no reward whatsoever, for having previously paid for the game. Indeed I have now ended up with less of the game's functions, than when the game flopped, through no fault of its player-base. That is not incentivisation, that is not the success story of other sub to f2p/b2p transferences.

For each person what is "broken" is going to be far more of an emotive experience than an actual technical one, except those of course who have an insight into game development, who I am always very interested in hearing their critiques, because it gives me a deeper insight into the creation of games which I happen to have a fairly high post-dev involvement in, like all players. My experience is in b.o.d & executive management of medium-large public institutes ($1/4billion annual budget+), and I come with decades of playwriting experience.

So when I talk about what is still broken in this game, I would say with a fair amount of confidence, the management/executive culture. The most obvious and recent example of that was the transition to f2p, for me. Amongst the MMO vid-casts and other online journalism, there was a collective of hands slapping foreheads going - What are you people thinking, again? The same out-of-touch with the broader gaming community is still very present. The ignore-all-the-rest, we'll do it the way we want, failure in management seems fairly prevelant. The same failure to prioritse addressing with urgency the communities' "big gripes." Whether this is incompetence, or lack of resources I can't say, and for most customers it really doesn't matter. It is a shame when devs create a good game, which is ruined by the adminsistrative system's straight-jackets, because it is completely unnecessary, and wholly avoidable.

Some things I noticed yesterday. Firstly, I still love playing in a Star Wars environment. It's what I grew up with in my imagination, and I appreciate being able to explore that in a virtual environment.

With that in mind, and that I will tinker away every week or so on my character, here's what I didn't appreciate. When I kill something, I want it to, fall over, explode, dissassemble, or something. Not exist in a frozen animation, which was an issue before, and still hasn't been fixed. It ruins my immersion. When I am immersed, my imagination can gloss over small bumps and tears in the over all experience. When I am not immersed, small things become a bad case of crabs.

So what are some of those pesky parasites? The decission to not make such an large investment in the game meaningful was and still is profoundly stupid and foolish. Of course I am talking about the story and voice acting. It is lovely candy, but given what was left out because of the domination of investiture here, it really is something that comes into the already mentioned "What were you thinking?" That it largely goes nowhere, except that were it does go is entirely linear, are both a real silliness. It would have cost less than the losses this game has experienced to have possible diversions in the storyline based on choices in critical moments prior. That is something we got from "Choose Your Own Adventure" books way, way, way back when. It's not like it required a inventing of the wheel or other truly innovative cognizance, but it would have translated into the player's experience as just that.

This last example, is of course very hard to fix retrospectively, although with five new levels about to be granted through an "expansion" there are oppertunities for the devs to start changing the direction here. Wouldn't that be interesting, and more immersive? There are many examples of poor decission making in this difficult to retrospectively change category, but I think the broken management culture will not make it possible, rather than the devs coding and design skills. I think the move to f2p in their minds is to deliver more of the same because they have missed their chance for a truly memorable experience, in relation to growing a corporate life-cycle, like the Blizzard teams created for themself.

It seems to me that the monetization team failed to appreciate that their company just burned a lot of people's experience with them, and was instead focused on covering as many of the fiscal leaks as possible. The problem here is this is full of the same short-sightedness that the game launched with. It is a corporate culture that fails to understand it's own decissions as the reasoning for initial failure. There are many words floating through the internet from devs saying "we're listening" but they are paired up against actions which say "We might be listening but our bosses sure as hell aren't."

In saying that, I believe swtor can overcome it's broken-ness, whatever that means to whoever is interpreting it. I think it can best do that, by fixing those things urgently which can be fixed retroactively, like frozen animations etc, and using expansions to fix those which can't, like linearity. I think more than anything the management culture's seeming arrogance, or ignornace, needs a well deserved enema.