Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fundamental problem with MMORPGS

... is other people.  Frankly without other people MMO's would be fantastic, putting up with their nonsense is frankly a distraction from questing. 

I come onto a site like this, and the major problem I have with it, great site and all, is other people's opinions.  They all disagree with me, but not in an acceptable way, in a moronic, ill-informed, twatty way. 

Anyway, thats what I think.  Please go away. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Comments

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    With all due respect, you have to learn to be tougher than that. As long as you have your opinion and enjoy the game, nobody else should matter except those who do agree with you.
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I dissagree. those who agree with you shouldn't matter either.

if you know you're right you don't need others to confirm it.

Ok Robo, at this point I do need to point out that I wasn't entirely serious, but glad it stimulated debate.  Well a diatribe at least. 

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

you're totally right....  other people wreck mmos... 

mmos should be just me, by my self.. doing solo stuff..

WAIT... those arn't mmos.. thos are single player games that exists by the thousands..

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

if you don't like people, you dont like mmos.  bottom line.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Scarfe

... is other people.  Frankly without other people MMO's would be fantastic, putting up with their nonsense is frankly a distraction from questing. 

I come onto a site like this, and the major problem I have with it, great site and all, is other people's opinions.  They all disagree with me, but not in an acceptable way, in a mornonic, ill-informed, twatty way. 

I would go away a lot easier if you clicked that "X" in the upper right of your screen.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by WellzyC

if you don't like people, you dont like mmos.  bottom line.

/disagree

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Aelious

I come onto a site like this, and the major problem I have with it, great site and all, is other people's opinions.  They all disagree with me, but not in an acceptable way, in a mornonic, ill-informed, twatty way. 

I would go away a lot easier if you clicked that "X" in the upper right of your screen.

I assume the smiley means you get it?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Wouldn't that be the fundamental problem with MMORPG.com?

It's easy to tell when people agree with you. The thread dies a peaceful death with no replies. Who do you have a discussion if everyone just types

/agree

Originally posted by free2play

Wouldn't that be the fundamental problem with MMORPG.com?

It's easy to tell when people agree with you. The thread dies a peaceful death with no replies. Who do you have a discussion if everyone just types

/agree

Do as I say not as I do eh?  Sorry I am being a knob today, a contrary knob. 

sorry mate, ignore the above, | got all knee-jerky.  Which given the subject matter is almost Morrisette irony.

Happens to us all.

I have thick skin, no worries.

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Nonsense in that mmos is that have maps/radars so people to navigate,well least for me thats feature wich if removed and make vast Elder scrolls world like ,wil make use of these road signs ingames.Would love people need to memorize paths from A to B and will be true mmo world*asking for directions and stuff..But i do hope some make this, cause for some this will add tons of fun for people  in mmorpgs asking for directions for caves and such places to reach.Sry english
    Originally posted by TickleMeHomo
    Nonsense in mmos is that have maps/radars so people to navigate,well least for me thats feature wich if removed and make vast Elder scrolls world like ,wil make use of these road signs ingames.Would love people need to memorize path from A to B and will be true mmo world.But i do hope some make this,will tons of fun people asking for directions for caves 

TickleMeHomo, now that is a name that inspires confidence. 

Yea i know,was aiming that.
    Nonsense in that mmos is that have maps/radars so people to navigate,well least for me thats feature wich if removed and make vast Elder scrolls world like ,wil make use of these road signs ingames.Would love people need to memorize paths from A to B and will be true mmo world*asking for directions and stuff..But i do hope some make this, cause for some this will add tons of fun for people  in mmorpgs asking for directions for caves and such places to reach.Sry english

It's also pretty vital when the tree you just went by was identical to the last 35.

I'd be fine with true sandbox, memory based but I'd need landmarks. In SWG it was not uncommon for me to navigate planets based on surroundings because most of them were immersive and player based. A Player city was unique and I could get to points simply using a compass.

Yea i know,was aiming that.

haha, I hope you are aiming at an alkaseltser. 

I will man,happy new year.
    Originally posted by free2play

It's also pretty vital when the tree you just went by was identical to the last 35.

I'd be fine with true sandbox, memory based but I'd need landmarks. In SWG it was not uncommon for me to navigate planets based on surroundings because most of them were immersive and player based. A Player city was unique and I could get to points simply using a compass.

My point yea,if game is made without compas or map or radar i suppose they would implemented some divercity on the landscapes to not be indentical and put road signs and ask AI and sort,but my dreams wich i dont think will implemented soon.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't like all people.  I like some people.

The people I like tend to be DnD and MMORPG nerds who are into the immersion of gaming, the interaction with others, and most specifically those who can do it without coming across as elitist jerks.  I used to call them "gamers".

I'd love to find an MMORPG full of gamers.

However, if I cannot find such a place, I'm not too far off from the OP's anti-social position.  Sometimes it's just easier to turn off general chat and go through the game on my own.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I don't like all people.  I like some people.

The people I like tend to be DnD and MMORPG nerds who are into the immersion of gaming, the interaction with others, and most specifically those who can do it without coming across as elitist jerks.  I used to call them "gamers".

I'd love to find an MMORPG full of gamers.

However, if I cannot find such a place, I'm not too far off from the OP's anti-social position.  Sometimes it's just easier to turn off general chat and go through the game on my own.

Once again, I was partly joking (partly).  But a lot of the solo creep in MMO's is because frankly the communities in large part are unbearable measured on the scale of 'your mum- chuck norris'. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I come onto a site like this, and the major problem I have with it, great site and all, is other people's opinions.  They all disagree with me, but not in an acceptable way, in a moronic, ill-informed, twatty way. 

Is this a joke?

THE WHOLE POINT OF PLAYING AN MMO IS TO PLAY WITH/AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE. IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING AN MMO?????

It is like driving a car and saying you dont like roads for #### sake!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think there is a lot of truth in this.... I quit playing WoW mostly because the community became too acidic for my taste. I won't stay in a game if I don't like the community that plays it.

Maybe I'm too soft-skinned to play online anymore. Or maybe I just don't appreciate seeing people get harassed and abused, and people acting like they have no sense of decency or morality. The sense of anonymity is more responsibility than some people can handle.

But I realize I have a choice - I can choose to play something else. And I do. If publishers/developers want to let their communities be that way, they can be that way, and I vote with my dollar.

I've heard a lot of people argue the flip side of this - that people are not skilled enough, or too nooby, or "stupid" or what have you - and that's a valid argument too. They are entitled to their opinions as well, and equally entitled to vote with their dollars.

Originally posted by Yamota

Is this a joke?

THE WHOLE POINT OF PLAYING AN MMO IS TO PLAY WITH/AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE. IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING AN MMO?????

I can confirm that it is. 

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

You nailed it. 

Really, your title +  the OP are so full of truth. I hope you were joking though. If you were "acting" it was brilliant, if not at least you were capable of showing one of the problems within the mainstream mmo trend.

Originally posted by Elandir90

You nailed it. 

Really, your title +  the OP are so full of truth. I hope you were joking though. If you were "acting" it was brilliant, if not at least you were capable of showing one of the problems within the mainstream mmo trend.

Thank you, I will await my accolades.