Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - Third attempt.

IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

1st attempt Dec 2011 - Pure dissapointment.

This was the SW MMO that would succede SWG and forced its closure. Hyped to the max and fell like a stone.

Uninstalled it.

2nd attempt Nov. F2P. Still dissapointed. No MMO feel.

Uninstalled it.

3rd attempt. Dec 2012. Bored and tried it again and started to enjoy it.

Taking SWTOR for what it is:

Nice graphics.

Good storytelling.

Cool classquests with beautiful cutscenes.

And most important, taking SWTOR for what its IS NOT:

Its not an MMO. Its a massively single player game with multiplayer elements;

all quests, except heroics etc, are soloable.

Its not a social game with player interdependancy.

Its not a sandbox.

There is no roleplaying.

There is no in-depth crafting.

There is no player housing.

The spacecombat isnt simulator-like.

The is no immersion.

I think the problems i ´, and many other had, was that our expectations were totally off;

we expected the new SW MMO to be a SWG 2.0 set in the OR era.

We got caught up in the hype and got utterly dissapointed when we got this...well, nice casual thing that fits on the same shelf as Zyngas Farmville ec.

Anyway, im sorta enjoying it as F2P, and i dont see myself paying for it, ever.

Funny thing about the F2P model is your reduced XP. So, i dont level as fast. So, i need to do more quests, which is what im into the game for in the first place. So i get to see it all, which you wouldnt do if you were leveling faster. I mean, you dont go back to Tattoine as soon as you have left it behind you, right ?

Comments

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

Can't really disagree, by no means this is a "proper MMO".

It's a decent "optional co-op game", I planned to play it just for the class storyline with the occasional flashpoint run (most of the ones I saw, are fun)

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Pretty much the way to play it:

F2P to level 50 for class stories.

Anything else isnt worth paying for, and in paid content update theres no class stories so its not worth shelling out 20$ for 1 standard SWTOR planet of generic MMO quests.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by IG-88

This was the SW MMO that would succede SWG and forced its closure. Hyped to the max and fell like a stone.

Uninstalled it.

Uninstalled it.

Nice graphics.

Good storytelling.

Its not a sandbox.

There is no roleplaying.

The is no immersion.

I think the problems i ´, and many other had, was that our expectations were totally off;

We got caught up in the hype and got utterly dissapointed when we got this...well, nice casual thing that fits on the same shelf as Zyngas Farmville ec.

Funny thing about the F2P model is your reduced XP. So, i dont level as fast. So, i need to do more quests, which is what im into the game for in the first place. So i get to see it all, which you wouldnt do if you were leveling faster. I mean, you dont go back to Tattoine as soon as you have left it behind you, right ?

Wrong we knew long ago it wasn't going to be SWG2 at all. We expected an AAA MMO topped with good story telling.

TOR isn't even a fair MMO and the story, apart say 2 of them are really poor, not even as good as what you can find in the Kotor serie.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I tried SWG a few times after it changed with CU and NGE.  I hated it.  I tried a year later and hated it.  I tried just 2 years ago and treated it like a new game and had a blast.  I played off and on for a bit and then they closed it.

I agree with the OP.  I tried SWG after it was out. . I had read all the posts explaining why it sucked.  I got it for $20 with a month free and had a great time.  I was going to resub for ta least one month (more than I do with many games) but then they announced F2P.

I will likely pop on again and see what I think of the conversion.  Currently back playing Fallen Earth for a bit. . waiting for DF to get sorted.

If the OPs statement seems fine to you it is worth giving it a shot. . especially with the F2P.  Sub for one month or two maybe. . have your fun etc.

People hate this one with a passion because of what was promised / thought was promised etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

SWG was my first MMO, but  I never hopped it to be SWG2, never.. as SWG was a trainwreck from pre-cu until the SOE undertaker hammered the last nail in.. I hoped it to be everything SWG was not, and to get everything wrong with SWG right while adding more good stuff on top.   By the time I spent a week playing it I was longing for good ole SWG (any version). SWTOR was just that bad, I can not think of a single redeeming quality of the game.

I don't hope anything bad for SWTOR, I hope it last a zillion years for the sake of those who like it, but I realy wish there was a Star Wars MMO or even a decent Sci-fi MMO That had multiple layers of game play..until that it is Planet side 2

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Thing is, even at what it does best - story and stuff, there is better available - tsw, which also happens to have really really good dungeons.

I just can't see any point in playing swtor unless you really really really like the star wars setting. But even there it cocks things up and doesn't feel starwars...

E.g. there's a huge galactic conflict going on, shouldn't there be pvp that's like a cross between planetside and the battle of hoth. But no its "lets play huttball for the amusement of some hurt gangsters"
    Then theres all the "because wow does it" stuff like bloody mail boxes.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Mostly agree with OP, except the heroics which are soloable :)

Jokes aside, I didn't waited SWG, I waited KotOR. That's why I found the game great, but - as I wrote it numerous times - it wasn't an mmo (imo, for me, etc. just for the fanbois), so I refused to pay a monthly fee for it and left.

When they first announced f2p ("story for free"), I expected similar model which TSW just implemented. It seemed fair: buy the singleplayer game, play it for free, and if you want the broken mmo parts you subscribe or go to the shop.

And then they released the details... I admit I posted some not very nice things about EA during those days :) But they listened (they even said so in articles :) ) and fixed some of the failed restrictions. And I guess the final model is not that bad.

So, after the 2nd attempt in my case, TOR is at the right place for me. Like my other single player games (mostly GTA's and Elder Scrolls) it sits on my hdd, I occasionally launch it and play for a few hours. And just as OP,

I definitely won't pay for it, ever. I already have two boxes, I think it's more than enough. In return I promise I won't touch any mmo aspects of TOR :)

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

I came back to the game recently and am enjoying it as well.

I have to disagree that it is no an MMO. It meets all the criteria to be an MMORPG. No, It is not a sandbox like SWG, but that is not a requirment to be classified as an MMO. If it is not an MMO, than neither is Rift, GW2, WoW, War, etc..etc..etc.

I have been playing in PUGs almost everytime I play because of heroics and WBs. Having the ability to play solo does not disqualify it as an MMO. I spent a large percentage of my time solo in SWG, and I lead one of the bigger Imp guilds on the Valcyn server for a couple years. It's an MMO.

Anyways, the game is fun for a PVE Themepark MMORPG. I just need a JTL type space expansion and I will never leave again.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

So it is not mmo since you can solo your class quest?

This game is nothing but soloable and that is why 90% of playerbase left when they finished their class quest.

You can even group doing your class quest if you wish.

So you claim the game is not a mmo only becouse you can solo your class quest?

Wait till someone release a game where you need a group for your class quest !

That was tried when eq2 was released and look what happent, not untill they totally changed all class quest difficulty some people came back and played it.

• citan79citan79 Member UncommonPosts: 86

I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.  

Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.

BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

if you thought that, that is your bad.

it was never advertised to be anything similar to SWG.

Originally posted by citan79
    I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.   Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it. BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.

wow is on rails too, just sayin.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I differ a bit on this.  Here's how it felt to me:

Story:

"Blah blah blah, You're the hero... blah blah blah, There's a crisis..."

Choices:

1. I'm your stereotypical hero.  For honor and glory!

2. I'm indifferent, but as long as it pays well I'll do it.

3. I'm a rat-fink evil person.  Kill kill kill.  I am heartless and love suffering.

In fairness, I didn't play it heavily, but that's the impression I got from it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by citan79
    I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.  

Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.

BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.

Not really, you can go wherever you want whenever you want. You do not have to do the same set quests

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by citan79 I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.       Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.   BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.  
    Not really, you can go wherever you want whenever you want. You do not have to do the same set quests

well you have a choice of a couple different zones but you cannot go anywhere and do anything because every zone has a level range just like SWTOR does.

its on rails, which is a trait in all theme parks.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by citan79 I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.       Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.   BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.  

well you have a choice of a couple different zones but you cannot go anywhere and do anything because every zone has a level range just like SWTOR does.

You an go any where you want from the get go. In SWTOR you have to go to level 15ish and get your ship first. Also in WOW you can do whatever quests you like, but in SWTOR they are stuck to the same ones no matter what, and the side quests after the starting areas are shared, and you can not do the quests from the others starting area, but you can in WOW if you want.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I hink, the game has improved a lot over the last year, even if its not that massive multiplayer, the game is packed with people recently.

Im also on my 2nd try and there is honestly more games arround to play, then i can spend time.

SWTOR made me a excellent PvP experience, still only topped by AoC, but ill take it as a matter of taste.

The OP is right in my opinion, because on my 2nd try, i took it as what it is.

The people you play with, are also a big fun factor in SWTOR.

I wont sound like a fanboy, but i had some kind of "new" group mission experience in swtor, that was very fun.

For me, its a good game, like many others arround there.

My fun'ometer calls SWTOR, Firefall, Anarchy Online, War Thunder, TSW and when i have more time .. nah ill uninstall Ghost Recon, Planetside 2, World of Warplanes, ... yeah ill keep Lotro but StarTrek should also went nirvana.

I mean, SWTOR is absolutely enjoyable with F2P, just take it as it is ^^

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Its like DCUO in some regards; when you get tired of the extremely monotonous combat, there really isnt much fun to do.

And i´ve kinda hit the wall right now, so ill step away from it for some time, but hey, it doesnt matter because i dont pay a sub! Yay!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I have no idea how anybody could have been following this game and expect it to be a new SWG. 
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Deewe

Uninstalled it.

Uninstalled it.

Nice graphics.

Good storytelling.

Its not a sandbox.

There is no roleplaying.

The is no immersion.

Wrong we knew long ago it wasn't going to be SWG2 at all. We expected an AAA MMO topped with good story telling.

TOR isn't even a fair MMO and the story, apart say 2 of them are really poor, not even as good as what you can find in the Kotor serie.

So very true - and we had to put up with flak from both the fanbois, the Mods and even the Community manager of this site when we pointed this out. Remember when you used to get a warning just for calling this game 'Tortanic'? And yet it turns out we were right and they were all so very, very wrong.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by citan79 I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.       Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.   BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.  

This is nonsense. Are you talking about FPS games or what? If it's an RPG, it is logical that there are areas with harder monsters. Zone-level progression is natural in RPG genre. Level-scaling is more FPSlike than RPGlike feature.

REALITY CHECK

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Deewe

Uninstalled it.

Uninstalled it.

Nice graphics.

Good storytelling.

Its not a sandbox.

There is no roleplaying.

The is no immersion.

So very true - and we had to put up with flak from both the fanbois, the Mods and even the Community manager of this site when we pointed this out. Remember when you used to get a warning just for calling this game 'Tortanic'? And yet it turns out we were right and they were all so very, very wrong.

I was suspended a few times and banned which caused me to leave this site for over a year, because people were relentelessly bashing the game, even creating the same threads with the same topics week after week and I was just saying that the hate on the game for not being SWG2, for being similar to WoW, and just the overall trolling was going a bit overboard.  So some of us had to and still have to put up with people hating the game, still posting the same topics when we already know how much they hate it ;P

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Pretty much the key to the game for enjoying it is ignoring it as an MMO and taking it as a single player story based game. Isn't as glorious as a regular single player rpg, but its still not too bad (depending on class) and heck its free now. 
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Pretty much the key to the game for enjoying it is ignoring it as an MMO and taking it as a single player story based game. Isn't as glorious as a regular single player rpg, but its still not too bad (depending on class) and heck its free now. 

The group quests and flashpoints are very good and if you just solo the entire time you miss out on that.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Z3R01

The group quests and flashpoints are very good and if you just solo the entire time you miss out on that.

After having playing for a while, i really must disagree with you on this. I play a sage, healer, and while this class is really cool in itself i find the heroics and flashpoints extremely monotonous. There arent really much strategy needed or when you figure it out, its just very repetative.

That said, i do prefer playing in groups but find most player preferring to play on their own. Even if we are in the same area, probably on the same quest, others are reluctant to invites although both would benefit from it (getting done faster and gaining more xp and social points).

The class quests and other major storylines is the most interesting part imo.