Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Players and Their Choice

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by LordZeik
    Personally, I got tired of all the messiah worship gw2 got built up to be. I am glad to see it did not win! I will proudly promote priates101>gw2. If your game was so great you should of represented it better. Unless of course you lost a lot of players and could not rally them? Oh well congrats to pirates101 a well deserved win over the false messiah of the mmorpg community. Heck when I get bored of my current game maybe I'll give that pirates game a whirl.

The difference being that the GW2 community isnt tiny and doesnt need to go out of their way to promote the game. Pirate 101 on the other hand is relatively small and needs all the help it can get. Hence the rally for votes, which GW2 didnt need.

On most other sites GW2 got best PC game and best MMO of the year. Pirate 101 strangely didn't get a mention.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Is GW2 getting housing on flying whales, and a beauty pageant?  What's going on here and when are they bringing SWG back?

My head hurts

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Never underestimate the power of a zerg.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Too bad Farmville and the Farmville "community" did not participate in the vote. Would have made for some even more fun forum reading.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    why would gw2 win anyway, the game is absolute rubbish i dont even have that crap installed anymore , wish i didnt buy it , if i could only find soemone to sell my gw2 account to
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Can we get this column back to talking about games, rather then pyscho analyzing the community?

Actually... the fact that you apparently cannot find anything more interesting to write about then other forum users probably explains why P101 won more then any other reason.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Can we get this column back to talking about games, rather then pyscho analyzing the community?

Actually... the fact that you apparently cannot find anything more interesting to write about then other forum users probably explains why P101 won more then any other reason.

LOL... Ok, you get a +1 from me.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The internet is the Mos Eisley Cantina - "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

In truth - I don't think that statement applies to just the internet anymore - because the internet is no longer some seperate thing from our lives/society it is an extension of it.

Human society in general has become a cespool of negativity and evil. I fear for humanity.

Somewhere along the way people stopped learning their "please and thank you's" and stopped caring about basic civility and good manners.

I say this as a 29 year old. I'm not even that old to be this crotchety.

*raises eyebrow*

Often I think so too. But there is also good in people. What will win in the end, I never can tell.

As to GW2: I feel it's more like the one-eyed is king among the blind.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

The internet is the Mos Eisley Cantina - "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

In truth - I don't think that statement applies to just the internet anymore - because the internet is no longer some seperate thing from our lives/society it is an extension of it.

Human society in general has become a cespool of negativity and evil. I fear for humanity.

Somewhere along the way people stopped learning their "please and thank you's" and stopped caring about basic civility and good manners.

People have always been the same. People are like war and war... war never changes.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Nice article OP and I agree. I was a little surprised too when I saw the reactions of people towards especially the Game of the Year and the most innovative game for 2012. They sound like sour grapes.

My beloved game was not chosen either, but I am ok with that. I didn't expect it to be.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Oops sorry wrong thread. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Personally, I got tired of all the messiah worship gw2 got built up to be. I am glad to see it did not win! I will proudly promote priates101>gw2. If your game was so great you should of represented it better. Unless of course you lost a lot of players and could not rally them? Oh well congrats to pirates101 a well deserved win over the false messiah of the mmorpg community. Heck when I get bored of my current game maybe I'll give that pirates game a whirl.

The difference being that the GW2 community isnt tiny and doesnt need to go out of their way to promote the game. Pirate 101 on the other hand is relatively small and needs all the help it can get. Hence the rally for votes, which GW2 didnt need.

On most other sites GW2 got best PC game and best MMO of the year. Pirate 101 strangely didn't get a mention.

Maybe it's MMORPG.coms way around ad blocker oO! lol 

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    It's the same objectivity you see in any season of American Idol, really.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Halc4

I only read a portion of the comments from the original Awards topic, but to me, it seemed quite a few of the people were hardly being "sore losers", but rather upset that the poll itself was so flawed. People want a players choice award that is less likely to be 'cheated' on by registering multiple accounts via proxies, spamming official forums to get players to vote, etc... And let me just state, I don't think GW2 should have necessarily won, I just think Pirates101 isn't quite comparable to GW2, TSW, or Planetside 2.

Really, the voting should have been locked to people who had registered prior to the posting of the poll. The only reasons I can think of that this wasn't done this way, is that a.) site admins were too lazy to code a system to do that, or b.) they were mainly interested in 'expanding' their userbase to increase ad profits. My moneys on the ad profits being the motivator judging by the recent "you're no better than pirates" comments made by the site admin. It's too bad really that many of the people who registered for this poll, likely won't come back to this site until a new game of the year poll or more likely, won't come back ever. Trying to get more users on the site isn't a bad thing by itself, but aiming for temporary ones of this nature just for ad profit is a little deplorable.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of the actual votes were from accounts made AFTER the posting of the poll itself, my guess is it'd be quite a large number. In reality, this wasn't a player's choice award, nor was it an mmorpg.com user's choice award, it was simply a "what game developer/fansites will spam their users the most" award.

Exactly this.  It seems to be the author and those like him that doesn't "get it".  Like I said before, what's the sense of having a community where people who discuss things daily and have thousands of posts determine the awards for their favorite site when 1 post wonders just take what they want and then leave?

Yeah, as I predicted, almost none of them stuck around.  Congrats to KingsIsle I guess, but shame on everyone else.

As for the proxies thing, whether GW2 had won or TSW, or even SWTOR, I know tampering when I see it and some of those users were the same person, you could tell just by their cookie cutter praise that reads like it's from the back of a box and their syntax.  I think MMORPG is just trying to write articles now to excuse their bad decisions by blaming their actual long time members.  Bravo.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Where is the "MMORPG is too negative" crowd for posts like this?  There's nothing positive about your post, but since it bashes GW2, it's fine.  Double standards.  I realize people can get sick of hearing about a game, but you are NO better than the people the author describes, wanting bad thngs to happen to a product because YOU don't like it.  Thanks for your input.  Notice how I don't have to insult Pirate 101 to point out something wrong with the poll because to me this isn't about who won, it's about how insulting the whole thing is to our intelligence.

I may as well add, for those who still see this simply as "this game > this game", let me point out that if this were the case, try googling Pirate 101 MMO of the year, then do the same with Guild Wars 2 MMO of the year.  The differences are like night and day.  Hell, the general GW2 articles go on for pages but the Pirate 101 results turn into results about actual pirates or other games before the end of the first results page. 

Now ask yourself if all that is because of the games' levels of quality and popularity, OR because of one poll that is just poorly done.  But thanks again to those positive people who point out how negative the forums are with blanket armchair pyschology and "sore loser" comments to either excuse their own hatred of a product or a badly implimented poll.  I feel the forums are a happier place already!

• Slayer991199Slayer991199 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I'm not trying to seem like an asshole here, but WHO CARES?!?! If the game you enjoy doesn't win an award, thats sad, but honestly, if you enjoy a game, that should be enough for you.  I love guildwars 2, and sure maybe it would be nice for the game I love to win an award, but honestly, I'm gonnna keep playing it even if the game doesn't.  This all just comes down to crowd mentatlity of "Oh lets beat it with a stick because everyone else is!".  So the "lesser" side of the guildwars 2  community grabs their sticks and starts bashing another game simply because it won an award.  Honestly in all communities there are a few bad apples, and I think the bad apples might have been in the comment section. 

This seems interesting..

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Well my choice was GW2. Not because I feel its a fantastic game, but because I feel it was the least bad MMO this year. Got two months out of it, just like I did with TOR and TSW so I feel I got my money's worth, but that's about all.

I do have to say though that I'm quite amused by a game I've never heard of winning the players choice award. And while I'm one of the tin foil hat brigade that thinks the votes were manipulated, I honestly don't really care. To me its just one more bit of absurdity in a year that has made MMOs in general, and more importantly their fans, a laughing stock.

So much energy, so much rage, so much grade school mentality bickering wasted on such unremarkable games.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45

What he said.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I'm not surprised.  There are many people on this site who are incredibly negatively vocal about GW2.  Why would it be surprising to anyone that GW2 wouldn't win for Players' Choice?  Considering the amount of negativity I've seen about it here, I'm surprised it even got 2nd.

Either way, who really cares?  I'm having fun playing both GW2 and TSW (now that it's B2P).  Having fun with whatever game(s) you are playing is really all that matters.

So, congrats to Pirate 101 and congrats to all the GW2 naysayers.  You got your wish.  Enjoy it.  I'll continue to enjoy the game in spite of you.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• LogansanLogansan Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

You also forgot to mention manufacturer campaigning for their own game. From Kingsisle and associated sites I received the following.

1.  Email with link to vote

2. Email to check out their forum which had a thread right there when I used the link

3. Email from fan site encouraging me to vote and with the blessing of Kingsisle.

4.  A second email reminding me to vote

5. A discussion in pirate 101 encouraging me to vote, the create another account and vote again.

Interesting, I didn't get any of those. Pirate101 is the only game I'm playing at the moment and apart from one post on their forum (from a fan not a developer I think) I didn't see any mention of these rewards (not that I check their or this site every day).

I am surprised that Pirates won GOTY, I expected GW2 to win that and Pirates to win Most Innovative.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Pirate101 should never have made the nominations. That was the real mistake.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bill_Bones
    [mod edit]

Anyway, let me play Devil's Advocate myself... that MMORPG recognition is not just a symbol, but haves a serious economical value. P101 will advertise it and people will interest themselves in P101 which means more revenue for P101. But then that haves consequences. Now that MMORPG's prestige can be harnessed for profit with some vote-feeding, I expect that in following years no major company is going to let any lesser company to get this prize... "it's only a vote" until P101 sells it to potential customers and someone like ANet asks itself why should they let MMORPG's voters take such a bonus away from them.

Did you know that KingsIsle Entertainment has people who post on these forums in an official capacity? They aren't shills, they are named "KingsIsle{something}". They spend enough time and money on their game to have someone come here and talk to people about their games. With tech support, not game advertising. If any of their players are on this site, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that those people would vote P101 up. It would surprise me even less if there were more people on this site who liked P101 versus GW2.

Besides, whatever anyone may think, Wizard 101 is second only to WoW in terms of players. What are the odds that all those millions of players wouldn't at least try P101 when it releases? If even a small fraction of those players came here and voted, it would push things well into P101's favor.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Bill_Bones

[mod edit]

Anyway, let me play Devil's Advocate myself... that MMORPG recognition is not just a symbol, but haves a serious economical value. P101 will advertise it and people will interest themselves in P101 which means more revenue for P101. But then that haves consequences. Now that MMORPG's prestige can be harnessed for profit with some vote-feeding, I expect that in following years no major company is going to let any lesser company to get this prize... "it's only a vote" until P101 sells it to potential customers and someone like ANet asks itself why should they let MMORPG's voters take such a bonus away from them.

Did you know that KingsIsle Entertainment has people who post on these forums in an official capacity? They aren't shills, they are named "KingsIsle{something}". They spend enough time and money on their game to have someone come here and talk to people about their games. With tech support, not game advertising. If any of their players are on this site, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that those people would vote P101 up. It would surprise me even less if there were more people on this site who liked P101 versus GW2.

Besides, whatever anyone may think, Wizard 101 is second only to WoW in terms of players. What are the odds that all those millions of players wouldn't at least try P101 when it releases? If even a small fraction of those players came here and voted, it would push things well into P101's favor.

You are correct. KingsIsle does visit this site. Usually to resolve issues or to give commentary on something upcoming with Wizard101 or Pirate101. Heck, I sent a email of Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Kingsisle support and they sent me one back!

How can someone not like what KI does. They are 100% supportive of its subscription player base. I have no idea about the crown users, as I dont use crowns.

I will vote for KI everytime!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I'm more than old enough to be crotchety... ^^  I've seen things sliding down hill for decades now.  The trend line has accelerated over the last ten years or so.  Fear, hatred, envy, spite, you name it.  It used to be that such was the stock in trade of various politicians and "activists", but its long since reached critial mass, and taken on a life of its own.

Its starting to tear the various countries of the world a part, and that includes the US. 

Which is starting to panic the powers that be, which means they crack down harder.  Which of course, just makes the problem worse ("The more you tighten your fist, the more star systems will slip through your grasp"...).  Basic civility, let alone common sense, has become quite rare now.  Nothing good will come of this.  Lets just hope that what comes after the storms is better.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

"Well my choice was GW2. Not because I feel it’s a fantastic game, but because I feel it was the least bad MMO this year. Got two months out of it, just like I did with TOR and TSW so I feel I got my money's worth, but that's about all."

And there summed up is the dilemma the MMO industry is in. This is a typical attitude that does not bode well for gaming.

As for our 'crotchety' guys, as society changes many aspects of it will get worse. The question is are we losing too much for what we are gaining? The young always say we are gaining so much, the old always say we are losing too much. What is certain is that the society you grew up in will not be the same as the one you retire in, for better or worse.