Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Urvan
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    mmk, just had a little of a re-read through the article and I s'pose I see a reason behind the "never" part, it suggests the cash shope would put people off which I s'pose it would and judging by the recent responses I think it obviously has put at least someone off.  Anyway, just so ya know I wasn't trolling on the "never" thing, it just made me laugh cus when I first read it to myself it made me think "is this actually suggesting people wouldn't or shouldn't play or not?" I didn't quite understand, so yeah, anyway.. The game isn't all that bad but tbh for me it got kinda boring after a while but I bought premium before trying it and will probably still play it after release, I donno.

To be honest i was wondering why you didn't read between the lines.

Age Of Wushu is an very good game and should be right up their with what ArcheAge has to offer minus the sea battles. What he was saying is don't let the cash shop put you off.

We really don't know whether ArcheAge in the west won't have a cash shop, i think it will. It's  time to except that most mmos now will have a cash shop but it's how the system is set up that matters.

Ya know I really would not compare this with ArcheAge, they're in a league of their own really.  For starters does Wushu offer you to create your own home? no it doesn't, but does ArcheAge? yes it does.  At a guess I think ArcheAge is more open world PVP where as Wushu is more based on opt in choice, so again its not the same.  The fact that you can mix things up to a more custom class is also quite different as to Wushu, although I read you can obtain other class skills, I never really found it that possible to mix things up to make a more unique class.  Also, of course, ArcheAge has more races to offer where as Wushu is focused on East Asian (Chinese from what I can tell) for obvious reason and of course their classes are biased to martial arts and samurai, again for obvious reason.

In my honest opinion I'd say ArcheAge has a bit more to offer but Wushu obviously has some perks but either way I wouldn't bring ArcheAge into this nore would I dare to say Wushu was up there withi it, its not.

I have never played a game that has more to offer when it comes to FFA pvp. I don't think there is a game that has everything from guildwars, to arenas, to school battles, bounties, warrants, kidnapping, spying, guild supply cart robbing. The list goes on. Not knocking  any game, but each one of those things I named are multi layerd systems. 

AoW is FFA pvp. There is NO opt in system. You can put yourself on "safty" so to speak so that you don't hurt the others around you, but that doesnt stop them from hurting you lol. 

No player housing, but huge guild keeps and open world farms. You can be anything from a musician to a begger.

I don't think he actually played the game, if he did then he didn't get very far.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    ...snip 

sometimes we miss the turn around, when we rush to defense ;) 

I saw you say "That explains it." You got hammered a few times after that though lol. Regardless I hope you get back in. You wont be sorry.  

The game doesn't keep you broke like other games and force you to use the cash shop. It's a free economy w/o stupid system money grabs. Free players will be just fine, since gear is alomst like a non factor, but they will progress slower do to not being able to offline. Free player can't have offline shops either. 

Well, again, I was there to test and was greeted by the advertisments. I'm not trying to win anything, just explain my first experience. As I mentioned, there could be 20,000 thigns I missed in that starter area that didn't say "if you want to take part you have to be premium". But when my first few moments, my first attempts at finding out what the game was about, were reminders that I needed to be a payign customer for x an y, I couldn't take another step as I didn't know if I wanted to be a paying customer.

Nor was I that taken with the game to continue searching. How could I be taken with the game when I hadn't even started yet but already I knew that the few things I tried or read indicated that a premium member would be able to take part in it.

Even in LOTRO, you can start and play until you get to a new area and find out that you have to pay for quest packs.

My discovery that this was a soft launch doesn't invalidate my experience for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    fyi I did play the game and not once was I attacked by any opposition unless I was in my own school grounds looking for them or spying in theirs!  I even ran into someone of another school who requested to duel me and clearly could NOT fight me any other way! which of course I denied him of and walked way.  That to me is not open world PVP, you choose whether you want to fight or not, that to me is opting in, its a choice.  As for the guild buildings vs player housing, who the hell wants to be forced to rely on a guild to have buildings? some of us like a bit of personal touch and not have to run to a guild every time we want our own building to be proud of.  Not to mention a guild hall vs your own home isn't very personal!  And again with the class mixing its not the same, Wushu is mostly based on combat classes, ArcheAge has mixed classes of magic and combat, big friggin' difference in this respect.  I stand my ground here, ArcheAge has alot more to offer, you can't deny that, so get off your fanboy horse and don't state people haven't played this game just because their views are different to your own.

imageimage

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

While I respect that some posters here seem to be very stern when it comes to sticking by their principles, I think it's a shame that people who claim to be interested in sandbox games and innovative MMO design dismiss this game for reasons that, in my opinion, are pretty shallow. It seems to me the complaints fall into one of the following categories (and now I'm excluding the obvious troll comments and uninformed misconceptions):

"It's pay to win"

No it's not. In the western version, you can't buy anything that you can't acquire in game. While some people are bothered by the fact that others buy faster skill progression and convenience items, the reality of the MMO market nowadays is that most titles are going the free to play route, meaning that cash shops are inevitable. You may not like it (I personally don't) but dismissing a potentially fun game because the business model dosen't suit your ideals means you'll miss out on some fun games.

Snail's ftp matrix is far from perfect. But it's not horrible either. Paying makes it easier to play the game, it doesn't give you an "I win" button. Player skill and experience still matters, and given enough time you'll catch up with the subbers and cash shop spenders even if you freeload. It'll just take you longer to get there - which is fine by me since after all you're not supporting the company with your money, while other are.

"It has a bad UI and poor translations"

True (well at least the translations are beyond bad at some times), but this doesn't make it unplayable. Most vital info can be readily found by trial and error, or - the horror - by interacting with other players and asking questions. The UI may not be the best around but given the game's complexity it's fully functional. Like EVE's UI, it just takes a little getting used to.

"It's too Asian"

No shit! It's a Chinese game set in ancient China, so...

Still, if you're interested in new and innovative game design you should leave your prejudices and aestethical preferences behind for one second and try to see what's behind the surface here. AoW is not your typical Asian Grinder.

Also, the game world is well made and really feels alive, something you can't say about all western MMOs. I'm not a big fan of the Wuxia stuff myself but I found myself immersed in the world anyway. It's a bit kitchy, but overall the good level design, the smooth animations and overall polish makes for a really nice atmosphere and sense of being in an actual world.

"It's not a real sandbox"

Well, perhaps it's not, but it's a very interesting game design-wise anyway. Does it have to conform to your personal idea of the ideal sandbox to be considered a good game or what? And where is this ideal sandbox that every other game has to be measured against?

Actually I think the whole sandbox vs themepark thing has gone too far and is preventing people from concentrating on what matters when it comes to games: fun.

AoW has both sandbox and themepark features. You can quest tour ass off if you like, run instances, grind mobs all day etc. You can also kidnap other players, live in a guild castle, spy on other schools and steal from them, patrol your own school and kill enemy spies, participate in school vs school battles, explore the world without any artificial restraints, attack anyone anywhere and then be caught by a player police, thrown in jail and be beheaded, you can beg on the streets, fish, play music, paint, play Go, group train with strangers and friends, set up a street stall and sell your goods, etc, etc. When you go offline your character lives on in the world - as a waiter, a beggar, a street acrobat, or perhaps as a city guard.

Name another game with all those features, "sandbox" or not?

There is a main storyline that you sort of have to do, which sucks imo, but beyond that you're free to do whatever you want, when you want do it. So in that way the game is very sandboxy and open-ended.

But I guess that's not enough to satisfy some people, even people who like to pretend they're into new and innovative stuff.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    fyi I did play the game and not once was I attacked by any opposition unless I was in my own school grounds looking for them or spying in theirs!  I even ran into someone of another school who requested to duel me and clearly could NOT fight me any other way! which of course I denied him of and walked way.  That to me is not open world PVP, you choose whether you want to fight or not, that to me is opting in, its a choice.  As for the guild buildings vs player housing, who the hell wants to be forced to rely on a guild to have buildings? some of us like a bit of personal touch and not have to run to a guild every time we want our own building to be proud of.  Not to mention a guild hall vs your own home isn't very personal!  And again with the class mixing its not the same, Wushu is mostly based on combat classes, ArcheAge has mixed classes of magic and combat, big friggin' difference in this respect.  I stand my ground here, ArcheAge has alot more to offer, you can't deny that, so get off your fanboy horse and don't state people haven't played this game just because their views are different to your own.

I can asure you, you have no choice in being attacked or not. You have the choice not to attack, and that's what the guy who wanted to duel you did. If he wanted to attack you or you him you could have.

Only the first couple hours of the game are you protected, while you go through the "tutorial" so to speak.

AoW is a social game from the ground up, I've made about 20 friends, and probably 6 enemies this past week. I know thes e people, because we have interacted on more than one occasion, it's the nature of the game. 

I choose to stop there though. I'm not looking to join a guild, nor do I have to. I'd rather rob the guilds ;) The guild keeps are part of the social political system, as real as RL tribes and clans. 

again this is not a game v game thing. This is just what I know about AoW, from playing it. I'm sure I'll give AA a go when it comes out just like DF:UW. AoW is here now, and I haven't played anything like it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Lots of good mechanics being implemented in this game, But i wont touch it because i dont like the setting at all...
    Originally posted by Scorchien
     Lots of good mechanics being implemented in this game, But i wont touch it because i dont like the setting at all...

That's fair. The setting is extremely immersive though. Maybe if you can put the dilike of setting off long enough, you'll get to enjoy the systems, which might make you respect the setting image

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Biskop

While I respect that some posters here seem to be very stern when it comes to sticking by their principles, I think it's a shame that people who claim to be interested in sandbox games and innovative MMO design dismiss this game for reasons that, in my opinion, are pretty shallow. It seems to me the complaints fall into one of the following categories (and now I'm excluding the obvious troll comments and uninformed misconceptions):

"It's pay to win"

No it's not. In the western version, you can't buy anything that you can't acquire in game. While some people are bothered by the fact that others buy faster skill progression and convenience items, the reality of the MMO market nowadays is that most titles are going the free to play route, meaning that cash shops are inevitable. You may not like it (I personally don't) but dismissing a potentially fun game because the business model dosen't suit your ideals means you'll miss out on some fun games.

Snail's ftp matrix is far from perfect. But it's not horrible either. Paying makes it easier to play the game, it doesn't give you an "I win" button. Player skill and experience still matters, and given enough time you'll catch up with the subbers and cash shop spenders even if you freeload. It'll just take you longer to get there - which is fine by me since after all you're not supporting the company with your money, while other are.

True (well at least the translations are beyond bad at some times), but this doesn't make it unplayable. Most vital info can be readily found by trial and error, or - the horror - by interacting with other players and asking questions. The UI may not be the best around but given the game's complexity it's fully functional. Like EVE's UI, it just takes a little getting used to.

"It's too Asian"

Still, if you're interested in new and innovative game design you should leave your prejudices and aestethical preferences behind for one second and try to see what's behind the surface here. AoW is not your typical Asian Grinder.

Also, the game world is well made and really feels alive, something you can't say about all western MMOs. I'm not a big fan of the Wuxia stuff myself but I found myself immersed in the world anyway. It's a bit kitchy, but overall the good level design, the smooth animations and overall polish makes for a really nice atmosphere and sense of being in an actual world.

Well, perhaps it's not, but it's a very interesting game design-wise anyway. Does it have to conform to your personal idea of the ideal sandbox to be considered a good game or what? And where is this ideal sandbox that every other game has to be measured against?

Actually I think the whole sandbox vs themepark thing has gone too far and is preventing people from concentrating on what matters when it comes to games: fun.

AoW has both sandbox and themepark features. You can quest tour ass off if you like, run instances, grind mobs all day etc. You can also kidnap other players, live in a guild castle, spy on other schools and steal from them, patrol your own school and kill enemy spies, participate in school vs school battles, explore the world without any artificial restraints, attack anyone anywhere and then be caught by a player police, thrown in jail and be beheaded, you can beg on the streets, fish, play music, paint, play Go, group train with strangers and friends, set up a street stall and sell your goods, etc, etc. When you go offline your character lives on in the world - as a waiter, a beggar, a street acrobat, or perhaps as a city guard.

There is a main storyline that you sort of have to do, which sucks imo, but beyond that you're free to do whatever you want, when you want do it. So in that way the game is very sandboxy and open-ended.

But I guess that's not enough to satisfy some people, even people who like to pretend they're into new and innovative stuff.

Actually, they are still looking for an American and EU publisher for this game. It really depends on that - if they go with Gpotato you can bet it will be P2W.

Originally posted by botrytis

Actually, they are still looking for an American and EU publisher for this game. It really depends on that - if they go with Gpotato you can bet it will be P2W.

Not correct botrytis. Snailgames USA is the U.S. publisher. Snailgames China allowed gpatato to run the european version Age of Wulin. Not to many details on lauch and beta there though. Official release for Wushu (Snail USA) will be most likely be feb. or march.

This is not some little company ;) They do their own publishing with offices around the world.

Originally posted by botrytis

"It's pay to win"

"It's too Asian"

What the hell are you going on about lol, SnailGames USA are releasing the game in the US and Gpotato in Europe.

At least know what you are talking about before you comment.

Your a bit late to this party me thinks.image

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Very true that this is a game I'll probably never play. I won't play due to the restrictive, and one-sided nature that eastern companies put on their cash shops. Not only is this a cash shop, but essentially a game one must subscribe to.

Yea, I don't think a lot of people will be playing this considering there are a ton of options out there that are probably just as good, if not better than this expensive eastern import.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    massively.com  a bunch of blandishers bloging
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

"It's pay to win"

Of course it is P2W.  This is a business model. The game was designed to allow players to purchase advancement through the cash shop.   Whether or not it can be achieved through the game without payment, or if players consider it " fair " is irrelevant.

I can asure you, you have no choice in being attacked or not. You have the choice not to attack, and that's what the guy who wanted to duel you did. If he wanted to attack you or you him you could have.

Only the first couple hours of the game are you protected, while you go through the "tutorial" so to speak.

AoW is a social game from the ground up, I've made about 20 friends, and probably 6 enemies this past week. I know thes e people, because we have interacted on more than one occasion, it's the nature of the game. 

I choose to stop there though. I'm not looking to join a guild, nor do I have to. I'd rather rob the guilds ;) The guild keeps are part of the social political system, as real as RL tribes and clans. 

again this is not a game v game thing. This is just what I know about AoW, from playing it. I'm sure I'll give AA a go when it comes out just like DF:UW. AoW is here now, and I haven't played anything like it.

Not to be rude bcbully but, although I ackowldge you are theo p for this thread, I don't see why you keep butting in when my dispute is mostly with Rimmersman.  However, I still wish to state that there was no possible way for us to attack each other and I was not using a new character, maybe he was I don't know.  However, I spent alot of time around towns and on the roads and was never ganked by anyone at all.  If this game is open world PVP I fail to see it and I guess I missed that fact but either way that fact alone doesn't make it any closer to ArcheAge except the FFA factor which is no big whoop in compared with everything else.

My point is I don't see why anyone would compare these games cus they're nothing alike.  Its like comparing apples to oranges, just because they're both a fruit and may have some similarities doesn't make them anywhere near the same nore could they compete with some people's preferences and I'm pretty sure most would say they prefer an apple over an orange which imo is the same for this case.  Archeage has more to offer, it appeals to people more, thats just how the world goes round and trying to say AoW is "up there" with it is just asking for trouble.  Hell, I'm not even speaking from a fanboy perspective, I haven't even played ArcheAge but from what I've seen it clearly has alot more when it comes to what players can do in the game in comparisent and no, dancing does not make AoW anymore impressive, its just a little nitch fun factor, which I might add can get lame and old pretty damn fast if you ask me.

imageimage

Originally posted by thinktank001

"It's pay to win"

Of course it is P2W.  This is a business model. The game was designed to allow players to purchase advancement through the cash shop.   Whether or not it can be achieved through the game without payment, or if players consider it " fair " is irrelevant.

I give a +1 to this comment, totally agree and always have said this with cash shop games and "sub for prenium" games, or as some of you call it "pay to win" games.

imageimage

• CnameCname Member UncommonPosts: 211
    fyi I did play the game and not once was I attacked by any opposition unless I was in my own school grounds looking for them or spying in theirs!  I even ran into someone of another school who requested to duel me and clearly could NOT fight me any other way! which of course I denied him of and walked way.  That to me is not open world PVP, you choose whether you want to fight or not, that to me is opting in, its a choice. 

Until a player reach level 5 in neigong (inner) skill, they are under newbie protection in AoW and is exempted from forced PvP.

Many PvP MMORPG have a similar protection scheme, to prevent a beginning player  from being ganked as soon their toon entered the world after character creation.

"A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

The only way to stop the trend of games selling power/advancement via the cash shop or through other means is to boycott games with such features. The most interesting MMO on the market atm is EvE for me, however I won't hesitate to call it out on it's PLEX system which I really do not like and it's the main reason I don't play the game.

Everyone is free to make their own choice but it will take something very special for me to start playing a game that sells power/advancement in the cash shop.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I hope Age of Wushu does well, we need more non themepark games to do well, so that we, the consumers have more mmorpg's to choose from than the typical WoW clones we've seen the past years. I won't be playing Age of Wushu though, simply because of this

"Elite and Deluxe Edition Rewards will not be sent to characters created after a character is deleted and a new one is created.

VIP Status will remain, regardless of character deletion.

It's important to be absolutely sure before making any lasting decisions. If you need help or information on which school you should join, there are many resources available, including our very own Schools forum as well as the School Spotlights posted on our official site.

Additionally, you are free to use other Snail Accounts to create free trials and use the allotted 10 hours to evaluate a school before choosing on your main account."

http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2101

I'm also a big fan of personal housing. I'm holding out for Archeage, but I still wish the best for Age of Wushu to do well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Cname
    fyi I did play the game and not once was I attacked by any opposition unless I was in my own school grounds looking for them or spying in theirs!  I even ran into someone of another school who requested to duel me and clearly could NOT fight me any other way! which of course I denied him of and walked way.  That to me is not open world PVP, you choose whether you want to fight or not, that to me is opting in, its a choice. 

Until a player reach level 5 in neigong (inner) skill, they are under newbie protection in AoW and is exempted from forced PvP.

Many PvP MMORPG have a similar protection scheme, to prevent a beginning player  from being ganked as soon their toon entered the world after character creation.

Mmk, I guess I overlooked that.

imageimage

Not to be rude bcbully but, although I ackowldge you are theo p for this thread, I don't see why you keep butting in when my dispute is mostly with Rimmersman.  However, I still wish to state that there was no possible way for us to attack each other and I was not using a new character, maybe he was I don't know.  However, I spent alot of time around towns and on the roads and was never ganked by anyone at all.  If this game is open world PVP I fail to see it and I guess I missed that fact but either way that fact alone doesn't make it any closer to ArcheAge except the FFA factor which is no big whoop in compared with everything else.

My point is I don't see why anyone would compare these games cus they're nothing alike.  Its like comparing apples to oranges, just because they're both a fruit and may have some similarities doesn't make them anywhere near the same nore could they compete with some people's preferences and I'm pretty sure most would say they prefer an apple over an orange which imo is the same for this case.  Archeage has more to offer, it appeals to people more, thats just how the world goes round and trying to say AoW is "up there" with it is just asking for trouble.  Hell, I'm not even speaking from a fanboy perspective, I haven't even played ArcheAge but from what I've seen it clearly has alot more when it comes to what players can do in the game in comparisent and no, dancing does not make AoW anymore impressive, its just a little nitch fun factor, which I might add can get lame and old pretty damn fast if you ask me.

Your "Safty" was on. Again this is to protect yourself for hitting people you don't want to hit. like shoolmates team members, friends, and civilians.  Take off you safty and attack who ever. Again your "saft on" does not stop anyone from attacking you. 

There are harsh penalties for murder. Bounties, Warrents, School penalties (depending on your school) Jail, Prison, beheadings, and defuffs. I carfully kill about 10-15 people a day. You wont find criminals camping the city walls. It's dangerous to be out in the open. I hunt my pray, then attack when the time is right. 

I do not know what AA has to offer or the depth of systems beyond what we have read. I have never played it. I do know that we have not seen a game in the west with as much to offer as AoW. 

I didn't know I was butting in. I did see where something was misunderstood though. My apologizes.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I dont care how good the game can be, when I first log in and play, and I click the quest log and the game runs me to where I need to go, I uninstall, I hate the asian games like that

Originally posted by Myrdynn

I dont care how good the game can be, when I first log in and play, and I click the quest log and the game runs me to where I need to go, I uninstall, I hate the asian games like that

lol I love this! The game is not about questing, thank god, I hate questing, plus there are long distances to cover.  It's about pvp. Hell even in the 1st forbiden instance actual players are ported in to be assassins(adds) and defend the boss! 

You dont have to use the auto pathing feature, i actually found it a bit of a pain sometimes. Finding NPCs can be tricky especially when the game has around 40,000 npcs.

I didn't know I was butting in. I did see where something was misunderstood though. My apologizes.

I guess thats a fair comment.  Its just that I was mostly annoyed with Rim for making such a bald and somewhat arrogant statement and felt that you were mearly joining in to make matters worse.  However, I guess thats not really the case so for what its worth I apologize for my response, its just thats how it seemed like to me.  I do respect and understand that I may have overlooked the fact that players can't necessarily attack each other depending on their skill level but my main point was that I don't see how AoW is considered up there with ArcheAge but thats my opinion, either way I found it ludicris that someone was stating otherwise.

imageimage

Originally posted by Rimmersman

You dont have to use the auto pathing feature, i actually found it a bit of a pain sometimes. Finding NPCs can be tricky especially when the game has around 40,000 npcs.

Nothing shadded on your map or quest hubs.