Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively.com - "Age of Wushu is probably the greatest sandbox you'll never play"

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

by Jef Reahard image on Dec 28th 2012 12:00PM

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Spot on article, most of it anyway.

Too bad he's a bit confused regarding the whole ptw thing. Paying for convenience items or faster leveling is NOT pay to win. Paying for things that can not be attained through normal gameplay is. AoW does not sell things that you can not acquire in game (at least not yet), therefore it's not ptw (yet).

Someone wrote a great reply in the comments to the article, I'll just quote it here:

"A concept is not subjective. Your understanding of a concept is subjective. The difference is significant. Popular understanding does not change meaning, it merely alters semantics. "Pay to win" can evolve linguistically to represent something other than what it meant originally, but the concept itself does not change.

I find the understanding you ascribe to "pay to win" lacking. It eliminates a concrete, clear concept for a much more slippery one.

According to my understanding of the concept of pay to win, an advantage must be available for cash that cannot be obtained via other means. In other words, "(You must) pay to win."

According to your apparent understanding of the concept of pay to win, all that is required is that an advantage be possible to obtain via cash. In other words, "(You can) pay to win."

I contend that your understanding of the concept is much more difficult to pin down, and thus inferior. Where do you draw the line? Is it pay to win in subscription games for players to be allowed to own multiple accounts, allowing them to direct the power of 5 characters at once?

I find people have a universal distaste for the term "pay to win," and have begun to use it to describe anything in cash shops of which they disapprove. This dilutes the concept. "Pay to win," shouldn't be a subjective synonym for "bad," we already have words for that. It ought to be a clearly defined concept, and in that pursuit I think my stated understanding above fits better.

It also better fits into the etymology of the phrases we use. If it were a case of "you can" instead of "you must," then SWTOR's new model would be "pay to play," as "(you can) pay to play." That's not the case though. Pay to play means "(you must) pay to play."
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hi - I've removed most of the article because pasting full articles from sites discourages people from visiting the sources and is essentially, violates their copyright.

Here's the rule as written in our RoC:

Copyright and Press Material

• Reposting material in its entirety from other sources is against our rules. Quotations from things such as news articles are fine, provided it is cited and (if possible) linked to. We ask others to respect our content and ask our readers do the same for other people's content.

An excerpt and link is generally how to go about this

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I agree with massively, Age Of Wushu is a fab game and really does bring something new to the table. Massively have followed the game and are way ahead of mmorpg.com when it comes to Age Of Wushu.

MMORPG.COM only jumped on the wagon for the second beta, i mean they didn't even put Age Of Wushu in the awards list yet they put ArcheAge in it.

Age Of Wushu is more sandboxy than ArcheAge.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Amana

Hi - I've removed most of the article because pasting full articles from sites discourages people from visiting the sources and is essentially, violates their copyright.

• Reposting material in its entirety from other sources is against our rules. Quotations from things such as news articles are fine, provided it is cited and (if possible) linked to. We ask others to respect our content and ask our readers do the same for other people's content.

Ah makes sense. Sorry!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I agree with massively, Age Of Wushu is a fab game and really does bring something new to the table. Massively have followed the game and are way ahead of mmorpg.com when it comes to Age Of Wushu.

MMORPG.COM only jumped on the wagon for the second beta, i mean they didn't even put Age Of Wushu in the awards list yet they put ArcheAge in it.

I was suprised at its lack of mention as well. It still doesn't get as much attention as games like the one formerly known as War Z, which is much less MMORPG and more MMOFPS  (especially as it stands today).

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Biskop

Too bad he's a bit confused regarding the whole ptw thing. Paying for convenience items or faster leveling is NOT pay to win. Paying for things that can not be attained through normal gameplay is. AoW does not sell things that you can not acquire in game (at least not yet), therefore it's not ptw (yet).

Someone wrote a great reply in the comments to the article, I'll just quote it here:

"A concept is not subjective. Your understanding of a concept is subjective. The difference is significant. Popular understanding does not change meaning, it merely alters semantics. "Pay to win" can evolve linguistically to represent something other than what it meant originally, but the concept itself does not change.

I find the understanding you ascribe to "pay to win" lacking. It eliminates a concrete, clear concept for a much more slippery one.

According to my understanding of the concept of pay to win, an advantage must be available for cash that cannot be obtained via other means. In other words, "(You must) pay to win."

According to your apparent understanding of the concept of pay to win, all that is required is that an advantage be possible to obtain via cash. In other words, "(You can) pay to win."

I contend that your understanding of the concept is much more difficult to pin down, and thus inferior. Where do you draw the line? Is it pay to win in subscription games for players to be allowed to own multiple accounts, allowing them to direct the power of 5 characters at once?

I find people have a universal distaste for the term "pay to win," and have begun to use it to describe anything in cash shops of which they disapprove. This dilutes the concept. "Pay to win," shouldn't be a subjective synonym for "bad," we already have words for that. It ought to be a clearly defined concept, and in that pursuit I think my stated understanding above fits better.

It also better fits into the etymology of the phrases we use. If it were a case of "you can" instead of "you must," then SWTOR's new model would be "pay to play," as "(you can) pay to play." That's not the case though. Pay to play means "(you must) pay to play."

That's one of the clear, consistent and precise explanations about PTW I've ever come across +1

As for the game itself, all I can say is that I'm loving it (despite the UI, translations and many other issues) image.

Originally posted by GrayKodiak

I was suprised at its lack of mention as well. It still doesn't get as much attention as games like the one formerly known as War Z, which is much less MMORPG and more MMOFPS  (especially as it stands today).

Typical mmorpg.com.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I find it frustrating reading this article which so readily compares the game to EVE Online yet gives little to no indication as to exactly what the two games have in common.

So this game is a sandbox and EVE is a sandbox, what does that even mean?  (i'm not intending to ask for the definition of sandbox, i'm only pointing out they declare the game a sandbox without telling me why they feel it is one)

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Ghabbo
    Originally posted by Biskop

That's one of the clear, consistent and precise explanations about PTW I've ever come across +1

As for the game itself, all I can say is that I'm loving it (despite the UI, translations and many other issues) image.

PTW has never been you MUST . It been a more or less Paying give you a strogn competitive advantage.

Such as, IF YOU DON'T HAVE 8 HOURS TO PLAY THE GAME A DAY TO FARM THEN you must ptw. This is how most PTW games have been. so for the average joe if they want to win they have to pay.. but its not actuall nessesary. (If you spend an absurd amount of time farming).

I figure if your going to be so detailed about a non-issue (in an attempt to claim AoW is not PTW) then you might as well be accurate.

Mind you AoW might not be PTW... then agian maybe it is.. simple enough sub games shouldn't have items that provide competitive advatages. If im paying that should be the end of the story.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

is Age of wushu the same game as age of wulin at the eu gpotato site? kinda confused, want to try this,  but i would like

it to be the right game ofcourse lol :)

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

I find it frustrating reading this article which so readily compares the game to EVE Online yet gives little to no indication as to exactly what the two games have in common.

So this game is a sandbox and EVE is a sandbox, what does that even mean?  (i'm not intending to ask for the definition of sandbox, i'm only pointing out they declare the game a sandbox without telling me why they feel it is one)

Read this http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/18/first-impressions-from-the-age-of-wushu-beta/

Then read about all the features of the game here, everything you need to know http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Novice_Guide

And then actually see for yourself and download the game http://www.ageofwushu.com/

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    massively may be right, it might be a great game but most will never play it because of forced PvP.
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    massively may be right, it might be a great game but most will never play it because of forced PvP.

That's the point, you don't have to play it, plenty of other MMOs that don't have PVP. It's pretty easy to avoid PVP in Age Of Wushu to be fare, unlike games like GW2, PVP in Age Of Wushu has consequences.

Age Of Wushu also has loads of PVE as well as PVP.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Typical mmorpg.com.

You would see more coverage on this site if SnailGames would invest more into advertising on this webpage. But then, on the other hand we wouldn't be allowed to discuss the negatives about the game on these forums without getting temp banned left and right.

So i rather prefer a more open discussion of AoW here instead of biased articles.

Originally posted by Volgore

Typical mmorpg.com.

You would see more coverage on this site if SnailGames would invest more into advertising on this webpage. But then, on the other hand we wouldn't be allowed to discuss the negatives about the game on these forums without getting temp banned left and right.

So i rather prefer a more open discussion of AoW here instead of biased articles.

Putting it like that i would have to agree.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Does this game have:

Crafting, indepth crafting not that garbage you get from your standard themepark?

Player based economy not a loot based like themeparks?

Housing?

Open world?

Social hubs/skills?

Player made content?

Unrestricted movement thru the world ( not linear paths like SWTOR)?

How is the pvp designed? Is it free for all, broken down into zones, faction vs faction, etc?

Never realy got into this since it was a f2p game. because F2P = p2w or restrictions and a sandbox should never have restrictions in any manor. If it has most this i may actualy look into it and buy. I love a good sandbox but i hate f2p models just on principle.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Amana

The Blog Age is really challenging traditional intel property law, as re-blogging substitutes for original thought more and more often.

Thanks for your efforts...but you're holding your finger in the internet dike that's ready to collapse under a sea of litigation.  (I know, you don't really have a choice about it.  Carry on anyway.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Read this http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/18/first-impressions-from-the-age-of-wushu-beta/

Then read about all the features of the game here, everything you need to know http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Novice_Guide

And then actually see for yourself and download the game http://www.ageofwushu.com/

It seems like whenever people ask how this particular game is a sandbox they don't get a direct answer.

Instead of sending us to a series of pages, would you be able to answer the question for us?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Onomas

Does this game have:

Crafting, indepth crafting not that garbage you get from your standard themepark?

Everything is player made, you can get drops in the world but the best is player made. You can finish anything by yoursdelf, you need other crafters.

Player based economy.

Housing?

Vast castle forts and land ownership

Open world?

Yes, it has instanced dungeons though so not totally open.

Social hubs/skills?

To many to list.

Player made content? 

In what way.

Yes.

How is the pvp designed? Is it free for all, broken down into zones, faction vs faction, etc?

FFA/Faction with serious penalty for PK. Prsion, beaheading, bountys, public executions.

Never realy got into this since it was a f2p game. because F2P = p2w or restrictions and a sandbox should never have restrictions in any manor. If it has most this i may actualy look into it and buy. I love a good sandbox but i hate f2p models just on principle.

Read plz. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Kidnapping

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It seems like whenever people ask how this particular game is a sandbox they don't get a direct answer.

Instead of sending us to a series of pages, would you be able to answer the question for us?

I would actually say it was hybrid leaning more to the sandbox.

What's wrong with actually reading up on it or going through some of the threads in this forum?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Onomas

Does this game have:

Everything is player made, you can get drops in the world but the best is player made. You can finish anything by yoursdelf, you need other crafters.

Player based economy.

Housing?

Vast castle forts and land ownership

Open world?

Yes, it has instanced dungeons though so not totally open.

Social hubs/skills?

To many to list.

Player made content? 

In what way.

Yes.

FFA/Faction with serious penalty for PK. Prsion, beaheading, bountys, public executions.

Read plz. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Kidnapping

You have sparked some intrest for me. I shall go take a look. Still hate a sandbox being f2p, just shabby. But from what you posted this may over shadow that. Thanks!

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Anyone else notice the title of this thread says "the greastest sandbox you'll never play" ? O_o I know this is probably a typo (more like a grammar mistake) but I found it a bit funny as it suggests we wouldn't play it til ya actually read the post that goes with it.

imageimage

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Urvan
    Anyone else notice the title of this thread says "the greastest sandbox you'll never play" ? O_o I know this is probably a typo (more like a grammar mistake) but I found it a bit funny as it suggests we wouldn't play it til ya actually read the post that goes with it.

I think it was more referring to P2W business model and heavy dose of asian culture.   Western players just don't like games that mix those two.       

Originally posted by Urvan

Did you miss the part in the title that says "probably" or perhaps you purposely left that bit out. Also it's not a typo, it's actually meant to be in the title.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Why am I not surprised that people can not grasp the title of this thread and what it pertains to...?

How about, you probably wont play it making you a fool not to as its looking to shape up as a really great sandboxy game.

This world, really.. :D