Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elikals MMORPG predictions for 2013

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Are...

*drumroll*

NONE.

I am sorry. No, it's not some kind of joke. More a sort of a different kind of message. You see, there were times when I felt MMOs were moving forward. Not always in the right direction or for better, but there was *some* movement, some sort of development. There were games whose rise and fall mattered. Vanguard, Warhammer, Age of Conan up until SWTOR, which IMVPO was the last of the MMOs which "counted".

Today, I have no predictions to make. I mean, I could. But today we are so damn flooded with average MMOs and legions of niche-MMOs, of which nobody even expects anything great. Sure, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, SWTOR, they all rose high and fell deep. But they tried to aim for something big. Now, MMos like TESO, Neverwinter... I don't feel it's even worth speculating about them.

In part it is sure me, who has gotten disullisioned and worn out. But I WOULD play a really cool MMO, just I don't expect it anymore. Perhaps great MMOs were only possible when the market only had few, in days of EQ or even when WOW was newer. Today, when a MMO launches, another MMO launches a few weeks later and then another and another one. With that background, I think it's close to impossible to make something grand. I feel SWTOR was probably the last attempt, and now new MMOs don't even aim for completeness anymore. They aim for a small audience right away. Which is ok, but just not what I want from MMOs, and therefore it doesn't matter. Predictions are not worth it on such a small scale. There simply is nothing to really look forward as THE big MMO. It has all too much become a standardized market and too less a place for visions and dreams, for epic proportions of adventure and excitement. It's all just "ok mass-ware". Which is ok, but just nothing to write home about.

No more dreams.

No more legends to tell about the development of MMO X.

I have this deep and sad feeling that the gaming genre pe se is stuck, like on a plateau. And there are no great new visions. Nothing to see. Maybe it is the normal development when something gets out of the niche for geeks to mass entertainment. But that sure is something I don't feel at home so much anymore. And not because I am burnt out of games or MMOs. I would sure love to bite my teeth into a great game, and a few times I did. Like Skyrim. But such things are rare, even in many other game genres, which I loved to play, like strategy games. Oh the great days of Master of Orion or Civilization II, Heroes of Might and Magic or Command and Conquer. What came afterwards were just shallow epigones.

We live in a time of gaming barbary, resting on the laurels of greater days and inable to create with the greatness of the past.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

If there is this year ONE MMO proof you wrong is GUILD WARS 2 it was fresh and not even close to WoW clone.

SWTOR maybe failed but GW2 is not.

Btw some old skool mmo just released again after 7 years absence Asheron's call 2 and me and many AC2FANS have blast even with server crashes its AWESOME to be back in Dereth so for me it realy don't matter whats released in 2013 AC2 is BACK!!!

AC2Forever!!!

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

My advice don't concentrade only on MMO'S also play some small multiplayer or solo games(my favorite of late is Dishonered) this way you don't feel so unhappy if your a gamer plenty to play out there:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by G.K. Chesterton

"Art is limitation: the essence of every picture is the frame" 

Allowing players to tinker and experiment in mmorpgs is the way forward. I'm keeping an eye on Topia Online and Pathfinder Online amongst others.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I would honestly be happy if this became the new trend.  It would be nice to not know every single detail about an MMO before it even comes out because it's been covered and hyped up for 6 years by every casual gaming media source prior to its release.  
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Classicstar

If there is this year ONE MMO proof you wrong is GUILD WARS 2 it was fresh and not even close to WoW clone.

Btw some old skool mmo just released again after 7 years absence Asheron's call 2 and me and many AC2FANS have blast even with server crashes its AWESOME to be back in Dereth so for me it realy don't matter whats released in 2013 AC2 is BACK!!!

AC2Forever!!!

I think GW2 is a special case. It had many GW1 fans coming, and it was made F2P right away. It made some things good, but I don't feel like it has any impact. *shrug* But that's just my feeling about it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Sooo...why come here any longer?

I mean, honestly, you've done the emo equivalent of painting yourself into a corner.  Either all hope is not lost, or there really isn't anything to discuss.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I actually think 2013 is going to be an interesting year. We see more games willing to break the mold then last years. Whatever they release in 2013 I dunno, but I believe we get a lot of information about them on game convention to make the year interesting enough MMO wise. Plenty of sandbox games and sandbox/themepark mixes incoming. 

Hopefully more info on Titan, maybe even a beta and release at the end of 2013. So my I guess 2013 is going to be a year full of information (Titan, ESO, etc) with the posibility of suprising releases (The Repopulation, Pathfinder Online, wildstar, etc). We see in a year

[mod edit]

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This is why games aren't designed for the bitter old vet player but the new player that hasn't seen everything done before. For every player that rolls their eyes and says a game is just a clone of something else there is always going to be people who never played that something else.

It isn't the new games that don't matter. It's the vet player that stops buying them that doesn't matter anymore.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    You want a cookie OP? I'm not up to a hug or anything.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree with Eikal. I am too disullisioned by the MMORPG genre and gaming in general. Everything seems to move towards simpler more casual, fast-food type experience with alot of bling bling instead of creating an indepth game.

I guess that is what you get for going mainstream and having floods of John/Jane Does invading your gamespace. I guess that is why projects like Kickstarter has come. It is simply our last way to get some high quality, indepth game into the market.

AC2Forever!!!

Oh please. GW 2 is simple, casual and have zero depth. There is nothing refreshing about it and it is yet another mass market game made to cater to the ignorant masses.

And AC 2 was a major dissapointment. It was basically the first attempt at a ThemePark game. One that crashed and burned and deservingly so. AC 2 should have been the successor of the AC 1 sandbox, it was not and still is not. It is just the last attempt the squeeze the last dollar out of a dried corpse of a game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

To the OP and all those who have the same opinion - move on. There is nothing here for you. Waiting with baited breath for 'your' next big thing will be pointless.

Move on, find another hobby.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I have enjoyed every MMO that has come out this year...some more than others.  But I also keep my expectations in check.

Looking forward to a new year of releases!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by grimal

I have enjoyed every MMO that has come out this year...some more than others.  But I also keep my expectations in check.

Looking forward to a new year of releases!

i didnt try most the mmos that released in 2012 but i agree w Grimal :)

personally im looking forward to Wildstar but i know it wont be a "mover and shaker"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1149/General-Discussion.html

Originally posted by f0dell54
    Originally posted by Yamota

AC2Forever!!!

Oh please. GW 2 is simple, casual and have zero depth. There is nothing refreshing about it and it is yet another mass market game made to cater to the ignorant masses.

And AC 2 was a major dissapointment. It was basically the first attempt at a ThemePark game. One that crashed and burned and deservingly so. AC 2 should have been the successor of the AC 1 sandbox, it was not and still is not. It is just the last attempt the squeeze the last dollar out of a dried corpse of a game.

You know GW2 isn't my cup of tea but after reading this I would rather cater to the "ignorant" masses then to a single asshole.

I am sorry you are taking it so personal when I am talking about video games.

Also you dont make great games by catering to one or millions of people. You create a great game by creating a great game and then the audience will come.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

AC2Forever!!!

Swtor failed because even though it didn't openly claim to beat WOW in numbers they did give us a hint towards it. Using same criteria GW2 failed too considering Mike O Brian openly claimed to beat WOW in numbers and become number one MMO.

I hope he has smelled the reality now.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Elikal,

Many gamers share your opinion and frustration.  I don't look for revolutionary games anymore.  There is little chance of a major breakthough in systems or gameplay for someone who thinks the state-of-the-art peaked over six years ago.  As a Bartle E-type I still enjoy exploring the worlds the newer games provide.   In terms of mechanics, graphics, artistry, and lore I have seen no improvement in years but there are and continue to be new worlds to see.  I'm also addicted to character creation so each new game offers some fun opportunities there.  I suppose it is a matter of managing ones expectations.  Best of luck in 2013.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Elikal

In part it is sure me, who has gotten disullisioned and worn out. But I WOULD play a really cool MMO, just I don't expect it anymore. Perhaps great MMOs were only possible when the market only had few, in days of EQ or even when WOW was newer. Today, when a MMO launches, another MMO launches a few weeks later and then another and another one. With that background, I think it's close to impossible to make something grand.

We got two big MMOs this year. TSW and GW2. We also got a lot of smaller products, because making MMOs is much easier nowadays. Even I could make a crappy one. So, I really don't see how the marker is so flooded now.

I feel SWTOR was probably the last attempt, and now new MMOs don't even aim for completeness anymore. They aim for a small audience right away. Which is ok, but just not what I want from MMOs, and therefore it doesn't matter. Predictions are not worth it on such a small scale. There simply is nothing to really look forward as THE big MMO. It has all too much become a standardized market and too less a place for visions and dreams, for epic proportions of adventure and excitement. It's all just "ok mass-ware". Which is ok, but just nothing to write home about.

How was SWTOR an attempt to aim for completeness? Or, returning to your earlier examples, WAR and AoC? At launch, those two were the epitomes of incompleteness. How did GW2 and TSW aim for a small audience? GW2 probably sold close to or over 3 mil copies by now and TSW tried to sell over a million. How is it a standardized market when the two biggest MMOs that came out this year are almost direct opposites of each other?

You're not making much sense.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I'm certainly guilty of feeling similar.  I have, however, played and enjoyed a lot of games lately.  Sure, it's been a while since a game grabbed me like EQ1, EQ2, or WOW.  I'm still having fun playing some older games and I goof off with GW2 now and then.  I view that one as more of a fun multi player game instead of a really deep MMORPG, and that's cool it's still a fun game. 

I don't have huge expectations either and, at this point, I view that as a good thing.  Some of the best games I have played hit me when I wasn't expecting it and some of the worst came as a huge dissapointment.  There are some games on the horizon that I'm looking forward to playing, but I'm getting my hopes up.  I did that with Vanguard and now I'm slightly jaded. 

So now, when we least expect it, something awesome is going to come along!  Or not, but whatever, if you're a gamer like me, you're going to still play and enjoy some of the titles that, might not be the next coming, but are fun games. 

Hang in there.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

There were games whose rise and fall mattered. Vanguard, Warhammer, Age of Conan up until SWTOR, which IMVPO was the last of the MMOs which "counted".

No, actually I think this is where you are wrong, none of those mattered because they all were designed chasing a broader customer base (which WOW created)  which watered down their potential IMO. (VG less so, but it had other issues)

But today we are so damn flooded with average MMOs and legions of niche-MMOs, of which nobody even expects anything great. Sure, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, SWTOR, they all rose high and fell deep. But they tried to aim for something big. Now, MMos like TESO, Neverwinter... I don't feel it's even worth speculating about them.

Again, no, none of those titles aimed for anything big, they aimed to be the next WOW replacement, (by emulating far too much of it) which pretty much sealed their fate and sure, I agree, looks like TESO and some others may be continuing down the same path to mediocrity, but you never really can tell until they launch.

Perhaps great MMOs were only possible when the market only had few, in days of EQ or even when WOW was newer.

The reason for these early titles greatness was they were launched without a clear definition of their target market, were very niche in nature (relatively larger niches, but still not the masses) and they freely experimented with new concepts because there wasn't the single WOW style model which became the blueprint to developers for financial success.

I feel SWTOR was probably the last attempt, and now new MMOs don't even aim for completeness anymore. They aim for a small audience right away. Which is ok, but just not what I want from MMOs, and therefore it doesn't matter. Predictions are not worth it on such a small scale.

You don't seem to realize, a game that targets 500K is a niche title, and many smaller titles are in fact looking to hit that target and more importantly, a game of that size can certainly be grand in scale. (see EVE).  Millions and millions served probably never will be a forumla for an in-depth, challenging virtual world MMORPG, it's just not what a majority of "gamers" desire.

There simply is nothing to really look forward as THE big MMO. It has all too much become a standardized market and too less a place for visions and dreams, for epic proportions of adventure and excitement. It's all just "ok mass-ware". Which is ok, but just nothing to write home about.

Stop looking for the next "Big" MMO, it will be standardized and catering to the mass market, it can't do anything else really.  The next "Great" MMORPG will cater to a much smaller audiance, again, likely no more than 500K.

No more dreams.

There's always hope with every new title announced, even if its more likely that most will crash against the rocks long before they launch.

We live in a time of gaming barbary, resting on the laurels of greater days and inable to create with the greatness of the past.

I will agree, I do think the genre needs to crash and burn a little, and drive out some of the weaker offerings in order to let the industry consolidate around fewer, stronger titles.

Will it happen? Who knows.  But with every new year comes another chance for a great MMORPG, unfortunately some of the ones I'm really looking forward to will not likely release (at least here in the States) in 2013.

Until then, I still have EVE.   (And oddly enough, I've gone back to Aion over the Christmas break, since it was F2P decided to see what had changed since I left back in 2009.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Tryouts for the Self-Pity All Stars?

He played, in post one, pretty much the ultimate prophet 'o doom already.  The rest of the thread doesn't seem to have any particular point.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well, I disagree. 

The Repopulation

EQNext

Origins of Malaru

Age of Wushu

Darkness Falls (2013 maybe?)

Arch Age

These are all rather high profile sandbox games. "The Theme Park Era" seems to be ending. Really, How many times can we quest level to cap, do instanced dungeons and instanced battle grounds!? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Kyleran

There were games whose rise and fall mattered. Vanguard, Warhammer, Age of Conan up until SWTOR, which IMVPO was the last of the MMOs which "counted".

But today we are so damn flooded with average MMOs and legions of niche-MMOs, of which nobody even expects anything great. Sure, Vanguard, WAR, AoC, SWTOR, they all rose high and fell deep. But they tried to aim for something big. Now, MMos like TESO, Neverwinter... I don't feel it's even worth speculating about them.

Again, no, none of those titles aimed for anything big, they aimed to be the next WOW replacement, (by emulating far too much of it) which pretty much sealed their fate and sure, I agree, looks like TESO and some others may be continuing down the same path to mediocrity, but you never really can tell until they launch.

Vanguard never aimed to be the next WOW, infact it's nothing like WOW.

Perhaps great MMOs were only possible when the market only had few, in days of EQ or even when WOW was newer.

I feel SWTOR was probably the last attempt, and now new MMOs don't even aim for completeness anymore. They aim for a small audience right away. Which is ok, but just not what I want from MMOs, and therefore it doesn't matter. Predictions are not worth it on such a small scale.

There simply is nothing to really look forward as THE big MMO. It has all too much become a standardized market and too less a place for visions and dreams, for epic proportions of adventure and excitement. It's all just "ok mass-ware". Which is ok, but just nothing to write home about.

No more dreams.

I will agree, I do think the genre needs to crash and burn a little, and drive out some of the weaker offerings in order to let the industry consolidate around fewer, stronger titles.

Will it happen? Who knows.  But with every new year comes another chance for a great MMORPG, unfortunately some of the ones I'm really looking forward to will not likely release (at least here in the States) in 2013.

Until then, I still have EVE.   (And oddly enough, I've gone back to Aion over the Christmas break, since it was F2P decided to see what had changed since I left back in 2009.)

Age Of Wushu is as far away from the norm as you can get, in fact it has a lot in common with EVE. It's one of the few MMO that can claim certain features have never been done before in a MMO.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

AC2Forever!!!

I think GW2 is a special case. It had many GW1 fans coming, and it was made F2P right away. It made some things good, but I don't feel like it has any impact. *shrug* But that's just my feeling about it.

/agree the combat and almost all the system of GW2 are wonderful.

hoever it utterly fails in the class department. In gw1 classes ment somethign you could do something with them. Gw2 its just a random dps off smash those buttons etc. really shitty ability design. The sad part it thats their goal, they have purposefull made it worse.

There where 3 classes that could do anythign different then just dps and nothign more everyone of those playstyles got nerffed to uselessness.

So sad.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Age Of Wushu is as far away from the norm as you can get, in fact it has a lot in common with EVE. It's one of the few MMO that can claim certain features have never been done before in a MMO.

Like?

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine