Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering playing but....

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

I click on the linky up top and it takes me to this....

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

No information about what im buying.... no information about lifetime subs..... just no info.

Simply pay now and start playing.... i want to know my options first jeez and what im getting for 30$

Comments

• previnprevin Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I am pretty sure the Grand Master option isn't available anymore.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

There's no info to give, really. 30$ gives you the game as it is now. Subbing gives you bonus points for the cash shop and future DLC, but that's it.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    You get unlimited access to all the content which is in game right now ranging between 150 to 300 hours maybe. Future DLCs will need to be purchased separately. 

REALITY CHECK

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by previn
    I am pretty sure the Grand Master option isn't available anymore.

It 's still there. it can be found at the bottom of the main account page, in the window labelled "select a service".

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Basically you get the full game as it is right now (meaning up to issue #5). Future content (which might or might not be monthly) will need to be bought, will be priced somewhere between 5 and 10$ each depending on how much content is added, bug fixes and other patches will be free. In time content added will be released as content packs that will cost less than what it would cost to purchase each issue individually.

You have the option to subscribe (becoming a member) for $15 monthly that will give you 1200 funcom points monthly to use in the store (equivalent to $10, which you can use to buy new content), 10% discount on any store item other than new content, an item of the month (IIRC this last month it was a hat), and a "time accelerator" that increases the XP gained from killing monsters by 100% for an hour, with a 16 hours cooldown. If you're not interested in any of those but want the new content it'll most likely be cheaper to just buy them with points as they're released instead of subscibing.

Note that the stats of your character comes from talismans and weapons that takes the place of gear in the game, but other than weapons they don't alter your appearance at all, you need clothes for that. All you can find on the item store is either cosmetic (clothes, titles, pets) or temporary boosts (XP, IIRC there's also a non combat run speed boost). You can also get some clothing items by completing missions and purchasing abilities.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

It is sloppy not to explain the game.

I would strongly recommend people don't pay for TSW until they have played it first.

On this forum you will tend to mostly get the people who like it but not everyone decided they wanted to "play forever".

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

I would strongly recommend people don't pay for TSW until they have played it first.

Umm... "buy to play"? I understand that the 3-5 day free trial went away with the changed revenue model.

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Umm... "buy to play"? I understand that the 3-5 day free trial went away with the changed revenue model.

Unless people really can afford to waste the "box" price of TSW then I still would recommend potential players waiting for a free trial first.

If FunCom isn't currently offering a free trial, I'd recommend people wait until this becomes the case.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Unless people really can afford to waste the "box" price of TSW then I still would recommend potential players waiting for a free trial first.

If FunCom isn't currently offering a free trial, I'd recommend people wait until this becomes the case.

The buddy key program is still going, so if you know someone already playing the game, ask if they can send you one.  I believe each player gets 3-4 keys, and they last for 24 hours.  They are sent from your account screen on the TSW site, and you'll need the email of the person you are sending to.  At least you can test out your rig that way.  Mine are all used up, unfortunately.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

I asked this question in another post, but without reply.

Have there been any improvements to the combat since launch? I read a post saying this had been tightened up - whatever that results in....

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I bought it on Amazon for $15... worth every penny. Very good game in my opinion, graphics is very good, quests are interesting, some need some googling :) There is in game google made specifically for game info... very cool idea.

Investigation missions are like from Dan Brown books, I absolutely love them...  I died countless times while doing them LOL. They are not forgiving /grin. One wrong step...

Don't hesitate and get it. As B2P it's definitely worth it.

My second favorite MMO at the moment.  But I love storybased MMOs and always wanted to try it. I really enjoy it. Here is my templar, Illuminati and Dragon... not sure yet which one I will be leveling first, sort of playing in Kingsmouth until I figure this out. Damn fate of altoholics.. I wish I could be able to just choose one without painful decision making /grin

imageimageimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Have there been any improvements to the combat since launch? I read a post saying this had been tightened up - whatever that results in....

Coming from someone that left a couple months in (not because I didn't like the game, but because I had already bought GW2 and love it) and returned when it became B2P, the combat system has had some improvements since launch, some abilities tweaked, some that didn't work as intended fixed and so on, but don't expect radical differences off it. Chances are, if at release you though it was good but could have used a few tweaks, you might like it better now, but if you hated it at release, you'll hate it now.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by Ortwig

The buddy key program is still going, so if you know someone already playing the game, ask if they can send you one.  I believe each player gets 3-4 keys, and they last for 24 hours.  They are sent from your account screen on the TSW site, and you'll need the email of the person you are sending to.  At least you can test out your rig that way.  Mine are all used up, unfortunately.

I've already played it for free twice, once at the mass Beta weekend just before launch and one more time when they sought to invite Beta testers, who didn't sign up for the release, to play for another weekend. Given those experiences of the gameplay, direction  and story-telling I wouldn't play it again, even for free.

24 hours could just be long enough to allow someone to decide whether they might like the game, I suppose, while three days would probably be more suitable. I tired of TSW during the mass Beta but kept playing in the hope it would improve and returning to the game, to play the same content from scratch, confirmed that I felt the game was unplayable.

Using the features of this site I found an MMO I greatly prefer and that I'm still playing.

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Coming from someone that left a couple months in (not because I didn't like the game, but because I had already bought GW2 and love it) and returned when it became B2P, the combat system has had some improvements since launch, some abilities tweaked, some that didn't work as intended fixed and so on, but don't expect radical differences off it. Chances are, if at release you though it was good but could have used a few tweaks, you might like it better now, but if you hated it at release, you'll hate it now.

I think the big complaint in beta was the "floaty" feel of combat and the disonnected feel of the torso with the lower body.  Also complaints about animations.  The floaty combat and torso pieces were cleaned up for launch.  The animations range from good to average, and are fine but not spectacular.  Devs have stated that ongoing improvements to the smoothness of combat will be worked into the game, and it's one of the higher priorities in future updates.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

I think the big complaint in beta was the "floaty" feel of combat and the disonnected feel of the torso with the lower body.  Also complaints about animations.  The floaty combat and torso pieces were cleaned up for launch.  The animations range from good to average, and are fine but not spectacular.  Devs have stated that ongoing improvements to the smoothness of combat will be worked into the game, and it's one of the higher priorities in future updates.

Yep, the animations per se are good but the blending between animations is missing, therefore running and using certain abilities can feel a bit hacked off, well the good thing is that they are currently revamping the animation system and animations will be able to blend smoothly. Also they hinted in a dev stream that character feet will be able to be placed much more accurate on floor geometry with e.g one foot on a lower surface and one foot on the higher surface. I think the smooth animation blending is what has been missing. Can´t wait for this to happen.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

(Sorry for the off-topic question)

What happens, if you send out all 3 buddy keys? FC resets them after a while, or is there any other option to get more? I haven't used all of them up yet, because I want to keep at least 1 reserved, but if there's a way to get more I will be handing them out like sweets :)

Originally posted by Po_gg

What happens, if you send out all 3 buddy keys? FC resets them after a while, or is there any other option to get more? I haven't used all of them up yet, because I want to keep at least 1 reserved, but if there's a way to get more I will be handing them out like sweets :)

Since mine were sent, it hasn't given me any new ones unfortunately.  :(

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Since mine were sent, it hasn't given me any new ones unfortunately.  :(

Thanks for the info, this is why I tried to save 1 for later use (I have to wait for the last key's designated target finds some free gaming time...)  Since it's a free advertising for Funcom, they should give us more keys... Or at least the trial back.