Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG you've ever played

Comments

• nakkinakki Member Posts: 56
    What was the problem with vanguard? Why didn't it get better subscription numbers? I remember it being very hyped with beautiful screenshots everywhere. Did it require too much from computers or was the game released with way too much incomplete content? Maybe timing wasn't the best either? Just wondering because I remember it being very hyped mmorpg.
  • EnzoBautistaEnzoBautista Member Posts: 29

The first 6 months of play in WoW for the first time in 2005.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

best mmorpgs i have played

1-WoW

2-GW2

nothing else has picked my interest as much as these 2 have done it.

I can say i have played over a 100 mmorpgs and all are meh! enough to walk away from them.

FFXIV:ARR has the potential to join the 3rd place on my list but it is a wait-and-see right now.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    The best RPG I have ever played was Morrowind. Sadly, I have not yet played any MMORPG that comes close to that game. I'm still waiting. 2013 looks promising so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    1. Asherons Call
    2. GW2
    3. DAoC
    4. Elder Scrolls Online  (because I want to piss off haters)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

anarchy online

age of conan

swg

those 3 combined would be great

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Finding a PC magazine with a small article and a picture of Everquest 1 within it was the start of a 13 yr love affair with the EQ series.

There was literally nothing else like it on the market at that time, the graphics where for their time outstanding, the gameplay innovative, the fact you had Multiplayer functionality was unheard of on that scale, and to enter a persistent world so vast and with so many different races and classes was just awe inspiring.

My days where spent yearning to log into Norrath, while I was battling and questing my way through Norrath I can remember each new zone I was able to enter without being instantly killed by some red mob was another new and interesting place to explore, each zone was as different as the last, with bizarre creatures, dark deep and dangerous dungeons to explore, all of them open to the entire game world at all times.

The game was tough, but it was so rewarding to finally here that Ding of gaining a new lvl, seeing my first lvl 50 character running through Kelethin was a unique experience, all of us in the grp thought the player was almost Godlike to have achieved such a lofty lvl, when it was taking us days on end just to get 1 lvl under our belt.

Everquest when it first appeared on the market was a game that had a harsh death penalty (you could easily lose a lvl without an cleric to give you an experience rez), you could easily lose your body and all your items if you died in the wrong place, this added such an air of danger that when you entered a dungeon you where actually cautious about where to go, what to attack and how the heck you could get back out of there incase things went bad, and they did quite frequently.

The game stayed this way for a number of years, but then the competition came out, they changed things, and suddenly corpse runs where replaced with an npc who could bring you your body, dungeons suddenly had private instances, the harsh death penalty wasn't so harsh anymore, and it became a breeze to lvl, the game lost it's appeal, not over night but very slowly as it tried to compete with every other new MMO release.

I still buy the expansions, and I'm hoping EQNext will be something that I can enjoy again.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    1. Asherons Call
    2. GW2
    3. DAoC
    4. Elder Scrolls Online  (because I want to piss off haters)

You already played that?

Are you a wizard?

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Like many others, vanilla WOW

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    All of SWG, DAOC second.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

WoW is easily the best, but even the best MMORPG can't keep me hooked for 8 years+. So I bounce around other games, which do some things right, but not as many things as WoW.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    1-Darkfall online
    2-vanila wow and Tbc
    3-asherons call 2 when it first released

now looking foward darkfall unholy wars and if turbine ever decide to modernize asherons call 2 a little bit this could be a baller as well.

I know that i will be playing darkfall unholy wars unless they realy mess it up which is very unprobable considering their beta
  • ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44

1. SWG

2 Rift

3. Wow

4 Warhammer Online

~Im not what I am~

• krsna27krsna27 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Hello, I like Archlord because of the crafting, pvp, race verse race and community. Also uses less bandwidth since I got capped internet.
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    FFXI
  • pohlpohl Member UncommonPosts: 4
    WISH™
  • Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67

for me it was Anarchy Online, wich kept me bussy for something like 6 years or so,,,

and now for the why:

- anarchy online has easyly the most complex character development system ever made in any mmo ( ao has exactly 6 abilities and 69 skills!!!!!!!!!!! wich do NOT auto increase when you level up, but you have to manually invest "IP points" to raise them, add hundreds of perks, and suddenly Eve's fiting system starts looking like a childs toy )

- item slots are divided into 3 tabs (not including vanity armor slots):

- first tab contains 15 slots ( 6 hud and utility slots, 2 hand slots for weapons,

one belt and 6 deck slots )

- second tab contains 15 armor slots

- third tab contains 13 implant symbiant slots

,,, wich gives a total of 43 equipment slots!!!! not counting the social/vanity armor slots

- implant/symbiant system - each symbiant has 3 different cluster slots ( big, med and low bonus size ), under each each cluster slot on a each implant you could fit about a dozen different skill bonuses, but you actually have to choose one,,, symbiants give more then just 3 skills, but are proffesion locked and often ( especially for support profs ) dont contain certain skills that you need for certain builds, wich forces many profs into a mix of implants and symbiants for use

- items have other requirements then just a lvl lock, and equipping items actually takes skill and knowledge over the game and its HUGE database {{ please note here i am on a break for over 3 years i believe and i might be off a bit here, had to make a quick db search for those numbers, aswell some of the items in ao's db like non-unique armors, weapons and implants are avaible on different lvls so they will duplicate in the database:

- over 11,5k nanos ( spells in ao )

- over 11k weapons

- over 2k utility/hud items

- over 13,5k armors

- over 46,9k implant/symbiant items

etc, etc, etc,,, }}

all of this gives "twinkin" a new meaning, not found in any other game out there

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104

1. Darkfall 

Had the best experiences ever in this game, the sandbox possibilities and political warfare made this game one of a kind.

2. Asherons Call

Great PVP

3. WoW (Vanilla only)

Had great pve and pvp content untill they ruined it by making it too casual.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Mabinogi

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147
    Originally posted by Reallymj

1. SWG

2 Rift

3. Wow

4 Warhammer Online

Really interesting choices. A sandbox followed by classic themeparks. Most really gravitate to one or the other long term.

• slikwillyslikwilly Member Posts: 1

I lived in Azeroth awhile but it became outdated a bit and Mists of Pandaria is crap. I've played Runescape since 2003 and became maxed out. Then I quit due to the awful update this year, the EoC. Runescape is a crappy game anyways but it is addicting. Then I tried SWTOR but didn't like it due to the fact that I just didn't like it. Then I met Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 offers amazing combat, graphics, and the best events. They replaced quests with a task system unlike traditional MMO's. The best part of all is the unique story mode you take on to define your character from the rest. Every decision you make changes your destiny. In reality there are no two alike characters. The community is very nice and I haven't met a single troll. Guild Wars 2 is a real WoW killer. I also played RIFT awhile after WoW and it was very fun, but I got Guild Wars 2. RIFT is an amazing game, but Guild Wars 2 is better. Here is my  list of top MMORPG's I've ever played:

1. Guild Wars 2
    2. RIFT
    3. EVE
    4. WoW (Vanilla through Lich King)
    5. SWTOR
    6. Guild Wars 1
    7. League of Legends ( it is a MOBA though) 
    8. Battlestar Galactica Online (outdated and not fun) 
    9. Runescape ( disgrace to MMORPGS) 
    And that is my list.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

For me, I have three choices that are equal for "the best".

First is Asheron's Call 1 - It was my first true mmo, and has very unique gameplay vs. any other mmo I have ever played.

Second is Asheron's Call 2 - I loved it because it wasn't just AC with better graphics, and has some of the most unique classes you will ever see in a mmo (Hivekeeper anyone?).

Third is WoW. It's the only mmo that I have kept a constant sub for since Janurary of 2005. I mostly just play now because of the people who I play with, great friends are hard to leave behind, but I have also had some really awesome memories created by playing this game, (finally killing LK was a crowning moment).

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

Ultima Online and Lineage 2.

All others are kids play compared with these 2 games.

Nowadays games are designed for teens locusts that want to play for free and all of them fail miserably.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

All around: EQ1 pre-planes of power

PvP: Eve Online/Dark Age of Camelot tied

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I think I'll go with a few MMOs that haven't been mentionned yet (or very little), simply because there are also hidden gems out there.

An unusual mention, as it's always been under the radar despite being one of the more succesful P2P titles, I'd have to say Dofus.

The game is not as fun as it was back then however, but it's still one of the few MMO where I've spent countless hours playing. The classes are all very distinct and unique with several ways to play them. The turn-based system (a la FF Tactic Advance) required players to use their brain a little to survive and win. The game had that comical aspect to it as well (lot of play-on-words), and NPCs had their own personalities as well.

Other mention would go to Ragnarok Online for the very diverse classes and Mabinogi for the rather difficult nature of the game.

This discussion has been closed.