Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Wurm Online: Review in Progress #2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We continue our series of articles leading up to the official MMORPG.com Wurms Online review with a second piece. This week, we take a look at the notion that the game is a "sadistically hard" game and how to endure within. Check it out and then join the discussion in the comments.

Like any kind of urban sprawl, the strongbox in Wurm Online acts as the epicentre for all civilization in-game. Players build and mould around it, forcing those new comers to search out newer climes, whilst in the process taking everything that isn't nailed down. Encumbered with a shockingly placed anvil and a handful of nails, I giggled my way into the trees.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Wurm Online: Review in Progress #2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Errn what's with the final picture being of RCT :D
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    If you chop down trees with a sword, it takes a lot longer, but it skills up your weapon proficiency with that weapon. :)

Joined - July 2004

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Adam Tingle

... Currently I am building a series of fences and gates, and it feels more dangerous than the hardest raid World of Warcraft has to offer. Go figure. ...

Welcome to Wurm.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Intrinsic
    Errn what's with the final picture being of RCT :D

I'd love to say it was a meaningful "the sandbox lies ahead" type image, but it's a pure and simple case of drag and drop calamity. Sorry about that...

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    This game makes me very happy.
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    I love the concept of the game but its so vast and complex that it needs some sort of hand holding even after the mediocre tutorial..I finished it all excited and when i got out in the free world..i was stunned..didin;t know where/why/what to do and having each player advising a wiki for each thing he needs to craft from day one just ruins the immersion..
  • EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49

Wurm is a voyage, so prepare for it.

Wurm is a challenge, so meet it.

Wurm is an obstacle, so overcome it.

Wurm is a job, so get to it.

Wurm is a sandbox, so create it.

Wurm is an opportunity, so seize it.

Wurm is an experience, so live it.

Wurm is a game, so enjoy it.

• hmm this is something i might consider actually..
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Eyesgood

Wurm is a voyage, so prepare for it.

Wurm is a challenge, so meet it.

Wurm is an obstacle, so overcome it.

Wurm is a job, so get to it.

Wurm is a sandbox, so create it.

Wurm is an opportunity, so seize it.

Wurm is an experience, so live it.

Wurm is a game, so enjoy it.

^ Well said.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

I'm Loving Wurm, My 5th day and I am definitley hooked, Played most older mmo's that we're sandboxy... but this is my ulimate play pit.  :)

I recommend a try at least.

Eli

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Tried it. Great concept and ideas.

But I couldn't stand the combat, missing character animations/graphics and unfriendly UI. Sorry, I need a little more comfort. Maybe a company with some more resources someday will make a game like Wurm which is not so rough at the edges. I am not that hardcore, sorry. ;)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Crap. Wurm Online? Why did I preorder Darkfall UW.......
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by pupurun
    I love the concept of the game but its so vast and complex that it needs some sort of hand holding even after the mediocre tutorial..I finished it all excited and when i got out in the free world..i was stunned..didin;t know where/why/what to do and having each player advising a wiki for each thing he needs to craft from day one just ruins the immersion..

I'm playing Wurm and have seen many people come to Wurm and leave again - for the reasons you mention.

But there can be no hand-holding, because the game doesn't decide what path the player takes. That's up to you. Some people might want to head out into the wilderness and try to carve out a spot of their own, others might want to stay close to the town and start a crafting career, yet others might want to find the best fishing grounds, others might want to join a village of hunters and others might want to seek out a powerful village and rise to power.

These, and more, paths are open to a new player. There are no set ways to play Wurm - there are dozens of ways to play Wurm.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.