Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013?

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Will 2013 be the year when MMO's come of age and we see a new model born of a more refined hybrid type MMO that finally brings us the best of both worlds in the form of a sandbox/themepark game?

Comments

• doyomasterdoyomaster Member Posts: 25

My guess, with nothing to actually back it up.....

probably not.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Honestly, I doubt it.  I think we'll see more storyline quest hub hopping on the themepark side, and PVP battleground games calling themselves sandboxes.

Although it would be great if a balanced hybrid came along.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I sure hope so. A good question is whether the ones we know about will be released in 2013 hehe. The front runners: EQN, AA and Black Desert seem great (hypothetically in the case of EQN) but may not release in NA/EU this next year.

Age of Wushu looks pretty good for a hybrid so that may be the only choice.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    I would have to say no, as I believe a balanced hybrid is impossible to actually produce. The 2 different types of design just do not mesh well. No system yet has been able to have a "scaling" system put in place that works well enough to sate both camps.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    I dont have big hopes for any good games in 2013 but if eq next is released I will try it.
  • pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    I hope for Archeage to come to NA in 2013, the rest I have no clue.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    secret world will become the most played mmo as it should be :) 
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by mymmo

I kind of doubt that.  Even Age of Conan was a better game than Secret World...

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Hmm I believe 2014 will be a good one, I bet all the games many of us are waiting for (archeage and such) are going to be released 2014 instead of 2013 as most people expect/hope for.
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by mymmo

Seriously ?

I mean I'm enjoying it again a bit ,but really , where do people get these ideas.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    It depends on what you're looking for in your hybrid.  If you want theme park brute force quantities of sandbox clever, deep systems, then no, that's not going to happen.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Im currently playing tsw and i dont its top dog, its a good mmo but the competiton is stiff for this game. Now if tsw gameplay was like tera online.
  • evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

Nobody seems to talk about Defiance, which is coming out for sure at the beginning of April, developed by Trion Worlds, creators of Rift, 150 employees working on the game, cost 80+ million dollars. Tied in with the most expensive syfy TV series ever created. Releasing on all major platforms too. And it's an open world mmo third person shooter with open world pvp and pve.

Check out all the editions gamestop has on presale: http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-defiance

Could be a sleeper hit.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by evemaster00

Nobody seems to talk about Defiance, which is coming out for sure at the beginning of April, developed by Trion Worlds, creators of Rift, 150 employees working on the game, cost 80+ million dollars. Tied in with the most expensive syfy TV series ever created. Releasing on all major platforms too. And it's an open world mmo third person shooter with open world pvp and pve.

Check out all the editions gamestop has on presale: http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-defiance

Could be a sleeper hit.

I dunno. I was originally more excited about the tv hybrid nature, especially once I heard Gary Hutzel signed on as a designer, but the show just looks like utter garbage. While I will reserve my opinion of the game until I can get hands on with it, nothing so far has grabbed me. Firefall is in a similar vein and I am enjoying it to bits right now. At best I see maybe Defiance filling that spot that I am currently using Planetside 2 for, but I really have my doubts right now.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

The execuctive producer of EVE online jumped ship from EVE earlier this year to work as the Executive producer and vice president of Defiance. Formally known as Oveur, he was a well known and popular figure among the EVE playerbase for many years.
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

If an MMO is going to be released in 2013, wouldnt we have already heard of it?

Of the MMO's I know about, I have some high hopes, but low expectations (TESO, Neverwinter, Darkfall)

Originally posted by Maephisto

If an MMO is going to be released in 2013, wouldnt we have already heard of it?

Of the MMO's I know about, I have some high hopes, but low expectations (TESO, Neverwinter, Darkfall)

Not Defiance unless you've been paying close attention. I expect we'll see a whole lot more in the coming weeks as they ramp up the prelaunch hype. There beta reg site went up just recently with the first beta event in mid january: http://vonbachindustries.com/en/

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I´ve settled down and will be waiting for Star Citizen, World of Darkness and Elite Dangerous. Until then, TSW.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    2013 is ahaping up to be a pretty bland year of releases based on what we know "right now" in my opinion. There are no big budget blow your socks off MMORPGs on the horizon. None at all. Sure, you have TESO under a fan cloud of disgust already and Wildstorm (an interesting title but one that wouldn't make so many headlines any other year) and that's kind of it when it comes to any kind of title with a real budget, big studio, or even a recognized name.  I guess all those other big budget one month wonders finally caught up with us and the industry too as people just aren't willing to heavily invest in MMOs for the foreseeable future. Never mind how bad some of those games really were... It's liable to be the year of low budget, free to play, grinders if anything.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Low budget, free to play, browser, sandbox (read we're too lazy to make any actual game content ourselves so we are going to rely on the players to do it), FFA full loot pvp, grinder mmo's with pay to win cash shops to unlock the full game.

It's a shame that seems to be what people want instead of a really good AAA MMORPG. I'd take a themepark AAA MMO over some crappy f2p browser sandbox asian grinder cash shop MMO any day of the week.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    2013 will be the year that we buy TESO and get ticked off. We buy FF14 arr and get bored. War z  crashes and crumbles and countless new omg cool mmorpgs hit the kickstarter list. But NO , nothing is going to be good out of 2013. Message me in 2014 to prove me wrong =)
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    2013 is ahaping up to be a pretty bland year of releases based on what we know "right now" in my opinion. There are no big budget blow your socks off MMORPGs on the horizon. None at all. Sure, you have TESO under a fan cloud of disgust already and Wildstorm (an interesting title but one that wouldn't make so many headlines any other year) and that's kind of it when it comes to any kind of title with a real budget, big studio, or even a recognized name.  I guess all those other big budget one month wonders finally caught up with us and the industry too as people just aren't willing to heavily invest in MMOs for the foreseeable future. Never mind how bad some of those games really were... It's liable to be the year of low budget, free to play, grinders if anything.

I suppose 80 million dollar mmo by the creator of rift isn't big budget then.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    No

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Heh, this is like the doomsday predictions.  It happens every year and the result is the same.