Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoW is not F2P ?

QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I thought when I first heard of this game that it was going to be F2P. Is that not the case? and if not, where can I find info on cost for buying and continued cost for playing?

Thanks

www.90and9.net
www.prophecymma.com

Comments

• JackieRyderJackieRyder Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Its a classic freemium like any other asian MMO.... VIP has perks to get you along faster and such
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

ageofwhushu.com

It is f2p. I would say drop the 10 bucks for elite if you have it, it's worth it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by bcbully

ageofwhushu.com

It is f2p. I would say drop the 10 bucks for elite if you have it, it's worth it.

Elite has not been for sale for over a month now, the only option is the Deluxe Edition for 20 bucks.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Thanks for all the info

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    AoW is 100% free to play. Right now it is in Closed Beta 2 and if you want to play CB2 all the time you need either Elite (which you can't get anymore) or buy Deluxe for $19.99 and it gives you some bonuses. If you don't have one of those you're limited on how much you can play. BUT once the game is released you can play all you wish at no cost.
  • lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I would highly suggest trying the beta for a few days and hanging out at the forums to get a feel for how Snail Games handles thing before getting invested in this at all...
  • nightsteednightsteed Member Posts: 7

If the same business model as the Chinese version is ported over, then it will be a crippling f2p-pay2win model.

Let me clarify a little:

I'm currently playing the Chinese version at Snail's Asia Server (the Chinese version US Server is up too). From there, you will notice there is two currency ingame: "minted silver" and "silver pieces". 

"Minted silver" is the official currency to trade between players and can be obtained via item mall with real money (with conversion). It is also awarded via questing/kidnapping activities (time/frequency limited) ingame, but in very minute amount.  

”Silver pieces" is the main currency you earn from loot, quest rewards, etc. Only usable with npc merchants (who do not sell much). Unable to trade with players.

Now, with that in mind, lets take a look at the "skill leveling" system, as an example of why i say it is a pay2win model.

There are three ways to train up a martial arts skill: (rough translation) meditation, group practice and kata.

Meditation is the basic one where you equip the skill and your character learns it gradually while you are online (for 1st internal skill level 18 to level 19 takes about 10hours online, for exmple). Group practice is limited in frequency and requires a group of players to ractice together and improves the skills learning speed for the duration of the group session only (so possibly reducing the above example to 9hours). Then comes kata, where you pay "silver pieces" or "minted silver" to level your skills at a very much boosted speed (some of you may already know where this leads to).

Each character is limited to 100 units (liang) of "silver pieces" per day for Kata, after which, even if you have additional "silver pieces", you can not use them anymore. However, you can use unlimited "minted silver" for Kata... (and "minted silver" can be purchased officially).

So if a day1 character comes in and dump thousands of dollars in the item mall, not only will he be able to buy all the best items from other players (note: trade between players is restricted to "minted silver"), learn exclusive (OP?) skills from item malls, AND train up all his skills to max level. Then beat our painstakingly trained character with ease.

Some might say "gank those rich brats"... but do note that he has the option to send those item mall bought gifts to your allies and buy them over too.

So in conclusion, i doubt this f2p model will take off in Europe or US market (and i am surprised you read till the end.)

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

soooo... You dont know anything, team practice reduce 10h so 10-10 is 0 not 9

best styles are available only in game 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah that would suck if it became the China model. As it stands now, Paid players have perks. Call me crazy, but if there is a free option, shouldn't paying players get more? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Yeah, lets wait a bit before crying ptw here.

It seems to me some people think any ftp model is automatically pay to win because paying money gives you benefits compared to a non-paying player. It's usually the same kind of people who feels the "ftp" tag makes them entitled to limitless free gameplay, which is pretty dumb imo.

Any company needs to make money somehow. In ftp games this is usuallu done by making the free experience more limited and more of a hassle than the "gold" experience, so that those who want to enjoy the game fully will want to spend money.

Nothing wrong with that in my book. As long as the VIP deal is all about faster skill progression and convenience items, and you can't buy op gear or such, I wouldn't call a game ptw. It's more like the "free" option is a trial and the VIP option is the real game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Biskop
     It's more like the "free" option is a trial and the VIP option is the real game.

thats wrong. thats a bad freemium market.

In a F2P game, paying customers have faster progression, i am totally fine with that since i dont rush to end game. Free players have the entire game available with a slower progression which i am totally fine. Cash shop has speed boosts for free players, and fluff items for everyone. That is fine to me. Sell power in the cash shop and you are pay to win. Limit the gameplay to free players by locking up content in cash shop and you suck. Decent cash shop earns the company not only money, but also the respect of the players.

game is free, CB isnt, nothing new, was done before in other games, at start snail didnt even plan to let players without VIP in it, and now when ppl can play and save name they still cry
  • nightsteednightsteed Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by AresPL

soooo... You dont know anything, team practice reduce 10h so 10-10 is 0 not 9

best styles are available only in game 

Really? Statisticians at Chinese/TW forums found that the maximum increase in skill learning speed is around +100% at maximum group for the duration of the training (25ish minutes). Did they change it in US/EU version?

Best styles available ingame can be bought via item mall purchased currency. 

I've been playing almost all subscription-based major mmo since UO, and spending money in AAA f2p such as LotRO. I do not have a problem with paying for my entertinment, but i despise the business model that gives advantage to the rich rather than the skilled. When i get my butt kicked, i want to learn from the kicker, not get richer than him.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I don't think there is anything in the cash shop that gives any advantage other than saves people some time.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by nightsteed
    When i get my butt kicked, i want to learn from the kicker, not get richer than him.

I agree with that sentiment, but in any game where char skill > player skill, you'll get your ass handed you you by someone who spent more time on his char. To me it doesn't matter if the guy is a nolifer who grinded for months, an afk botter, or a rich kid who spent money in the cash shop.

As long as character progression exists, people will find ways to get ahead. Imo the best thing to do is to do things at the pace you personally enjoy, or you'll be caught up in the "race to the top" mentality.

Besides, from what I've seen and heard player skill matters in AoW so it's not like a total noob can dominate everyone just by dumping thousands of dollars in the cs.

nothing is changed and theres no such thing like 25min training

can be bought only if some one will sell them if not You have to farm them 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

Besides, from what I've seen and heard player skill matters in AoW so it's not like a total noob can dominate everyone just by dumping thousands of dollars in the cs.

We were dueling in scholars area, all scholars after a TP. We had one scholar beating up on a martial discipline, (20+ internal)

with realized potential (15+ internal), she was just putting down better blocks and using her rage move to good effect. I won't go so far as to say that you can just use skill to get through a very very large gap in training but skill does have a factor...skill and numbers can have a big factor much like in Eve.