Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Players and Their Choice

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

As I've said before, when people around here don't have anything to say about gaming they go after the players.  That seems to be the direction the OP takes.  But okay, let's go there.  I find your negative post about negative forum posters a little hypocritical.

OP is supposed to be 'Devil's Advocate'.  Instead he comes off more like Mall Cop taking the forum readers to task for running in the halls.  He come's off more like an editor who feels freed by the name 'Devil's Advocate' to come here and lecture us because we didn't react they way he wanted to.

Are mmorpg.com forum posters that bad compared to the rest of humanity?  Humanity where I live is pretty pathetic. We have shootings, stabbings, beatings, home invasions, theives, all kinds of gangs based on every racial group,  drug dealers and addicts, and a lot of rapists and child molestors.  It's not uncommon to hear mom's and dad's cursing in front of their kids in Target or Walmart. 

Society is breaking down...or broken down.  I see it around town.  I see it at my work.  Is it any surprise civility would be one of the first casualties?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's a whale with a town on its back. A whale. With a town on its back. Someone gets to drive a whale around with a town. How could that not win?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    In short, there are a lot of bitter, crappy people out there who see these things as a way to bolster their own self worth or see it as a personal afront.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It always amazes me the amount of emotion people can summon about what is pretty much an insignificant issue.Winning a players choice award from this site does not change the course of history and the onyl effect is a small amount of free advertising for the winners.

What this years poll has been great for since GW2 both won ana award and was beaten for another is that it showed that the rabid fans and haters of this gaem are jsut bitter,twisted reflections of each other.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The internet is the Mos Eisley Cantina - "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Yeah, and I´m almost as sick of  ^ this quote as I´m sick of "Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what yadda yadda"

Repetitive MMOs rehashing old concepts win awards and get 10/10 innovation scores, end of story, reason for rage -> check

SWTOR hype last year ? Look where it´s now. 

The most innovative thing I´ve played in years is TSW by the way, oh wait it got less marketing, some dismissing it because of early beta bugs or because of 15 bucks a month, so there are less fans to vote, so it must be inferior compared to Pirates 010 or GW2 endless looping "dynamic" (cough) events??  It´s not.

Polls and players choice awards are meaningless. How about the editors make a simple feature comparison with checkboxes and see how many boxes can be ticked, instead of a "How many fans go vote on the game they bought to justify their purchase."

Hint: TSW has DX11, Tesselation, no grab boxes, no Pay2Win, regular updates and events, RP features, community radioshows, most creative and intelligent mission design ever in an MMO, motion captured cutscenes with AAA voiceactors and a story worth telling -> if all this can not make top #1, nothing can.

For once, dear editors, for 2013 make an opinion free, non-sponsored, checkbox feature comparison of the current games, your future leaderboards might change drastically.

Oh and would you KINDLY write an article on Elite Dangerous, which is - you know- a massive multiplayer online space sim by David Braben? The campaign ends in a few days and the goal has not been reached yet, no word from mmorpg.com yet. Why?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It's a whale with a town on its back. A whale. With a town on its back. Someone gets to drive a whale around with a town. How could that not win?

IKR i wanna live in that town :(

*edit* just looked at the pic again..dude..that whale is flying not swimming.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ZloduhZloduh Member UncommonPosts: 3

It is Peoples Choice award , not MMORPG Choice award, mmorpg cant be held responcible or loose credibilty or respect over this matter as they only relayed what people that DID vote voted for.

Its like that x factor crap show, mmorpg presented some candidats that made it into voting stage and people are voteing for their favorite. 

It sux that there are people campaining for their game or the developer it self, but as stated it is a people choice so gives to show what kind of people vote. 

If there were a statistical data measured on the equal garding system by a selected group of participants it might be more objective but it is Peoples choise so to me means nothing... and i think to the most of the people it means nothing.

Z.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by FromHell

Repetitive MMOs rehashing old concepts win awards and get 10/10 innovation scores, end of story, reason for rage -> check

The most innovative thing I´ve played in years is TSW by the way, oh wait it got less marketing, dismissing it because of early beta bugs, so there are less fans to vote, so it must be inferior compared to Pirates 010 or GW2 endless looping "dynamic" (cough) events??  It´s not.

Polls and players choice awards are meaningless. How about the editors make a simple feature comparison with checkboxes and see how many boxes can be ticked, instead of a "How many fans go vote on the game they bought to justify their purchase."

Hint: TSW has DX11, Tesselation, no grab boxes, no Pay2Win, regular updates and events, RP features, community radioshows, most creative and intelligent mission design ever in an MMO, motion captured cutscenes with AAA voiceactors and a story worth telling -> if all this can not make top #1, nothing can.

For once, dear editors, for 2013 make an opinion free, non-sponsored, checkbox feature comparison of the current games, your future leaderboards might change drastically.

yeah but newsflash, welcome to the world.

There are a LOT of things out there that, based on the merit of how they are put together, conceived, executed, what they are trying to achieve, etc are legions better than the more popular items in the same genre. This has been going on for far longer than you and I have been alive.

Heck, this whole things is unfathomably funny to me as I see it ALL the time in contemporary music. Classical and popular; which happen to be a field that I am a part of.

How many concerts have I gone to with maybe 15 people and their poor girlfriends where, after it was over, people would get together decryng the state of the arts in the world where some pop-o-the-month persona was making millions and "x" composer slaved for a long time only to garner 30 people if they were lucky.

But it's not the fault of "the masses". I don't believe you can force someone to see the merit in a work and I very much don't believe that just because they don't like a thing that they are lesser for it.

People will like what they like and GOOD ON THEM! No reason they have to listen as someone says "but it's not good because of x, y and z and you just are ignorant. (in general, not saying you are "saying this".)

A checkbox feature comparison means nothing if those features have no meanting to those who are experiencing it. That's the end of it.

In the end, certain games, plays, art, music, movies will always be for a smaller audience.

No reason for people to get up in arms because their favorite didn't win an award or a poll,. That's life.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

what i find incredibly suspicious is how the only mention i can vaguely recall of Pirates 101 was a few news columns like months ago that i didn't even read after scrolling through a few pictures. Therfore i was very surprised to see it on the list.........the next week it had won the Player's Choice award......

....i am here A LOT(way more than it is healthy to be), and i had NEVER even seen 1 player's thread about Pirates 101. no fan threads, no hate threads, no "Piarates 101 is the next WoW killer" threads, no nothing...complete silence..... yet somehow all of a sudden it's more popular than GW2.....whhhaaaatttt?.....

• NoizMchnNoizMchn Member UncommonPosts: 29

Mufflo wrote -

I'm baffled almost every day (as I follow this site almost everyday) how such creative, smart and interesting pieces posted on this site from the experienced writers of MMORPG.com get such lousy, respectless and sometimes simply distateful comments below. 

I think everyone knows how low people sink in form of communication, love and respect on the internet. This of course has coloured a large part of the gaming community. I think everyone already knows this. I say "knows", as in: deep within their hearts, not as in: aknowledges and acts from. 

This is global, as the community has almost always been on a global scale and communicated globally through internet. That means this is a global problem, which means it gets different responses in different parts of this world. (I will not go into detail, as I fully believe to be in power to offend people) 

If the world treats if different, it won't fully understand. It will be confused. Please don't let that happen. We all "know", as I said, deep within ourselves what is the problem, and how to deal with it ourselves.

The problem is respect, the solution: start with the man in the mirror. Do not go to friends, or out on the internet to complain about the problem, like me. Look yourself in the mirror and realize how you act as a gamer. Your worst and best parts. You might scream in teamspeak, or not. You might curse and hate in the comments of somebody putting out their thoughts in a game blog. You might write a acidly hateful reply to this. I would not.

The problem is respect, the solution is to look into the mirror. We are better than this.

I really wish we could upvote posts.

I had to edit because the quote did not work.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

what i find incredibly suspicious is how the only mention i can vaguely recall of Pirates 101 was a few news columns like months ago that i didn't even read after scrolling through a few pictures. Therfore i was very surprised to see it on the list.........the next week it had won the Player's Choice award......

....i am here A LOT(way more than it is healthy to be), and i had NEVER even seen 1 player's thread about Pirates 101. no fan threads, no hate threads, no "Piarates 101 is the next WoW killer" threads, no nothing...complete silence..... yet somehow all of a sudden it's more popular than GW2.....whhhaaaatttt?.....

Rigged because the developers and the studio cheated to get the vote.  Pirate 101 took it as a serious event to get free publicity.  Gw2 could care less and in the end the cheating bastards won.  Which is sorrta similar to life.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

+1 for Victor, I admit I don't even understand the fuss in the topic under the results...

It was just a usual forum poll with a bit more highlight on it. Some of the comments aren't reflecting this, a few posters took the results almost as an insult... seriously?  :)

It wasn't an election, was not a new course setting in the industry, or similar important stuff, it was just a regular forum poll. Why people attack the results with so much force, is beyond me.

(btw I voted for TSW, Neverwinter and TSW, with n/a on the last 2)

Edit: lol, I tried to put it nicely and not belittle mmorpg.com's Award, but I just red the comments and FromHell already said it directly, so I copy it here too:

Originally posted by FromHell

Polls and players choice awards are meaningless.

+1 :)
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Rigged because the developers and the studio cheated to get the vote.  Pirate 101 took it as a serious event to get free publicity.  Gw2 could care less and in the end the cheating bastards won.  Which is sorrta similar to life.

Since when is campaigning "aka getting the word out" considered cheating?  All of the companies in the competition knew it was taking place.  It's their own fault for not campaigning, let alone campaigning at the level that Pirate101 did.  Whether it was due to laziness or sheer stupidity, they deserved to lose if they can't be bothered to put in the effort to encourage their player base to vote.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    I didn't even know voting had started, then I saw an unknown game had won... yeah.... things are easily manipulated when a huge chunk of your base doesn't know what's going on.  If it were something important, I'd demand a recount, lol.....

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Since when is campaigning "aka getting the word out" considered cheating?

More importantly, why are fans (of other games) so upset about it?

The game that won saw an opportunity; their marketing department was paying attention and—marketed.  +1 for their boss, -1 for the other guys.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Welcome to Generation Me.  First there was the Baby Boomers.  Then my generation (from 1975 through the 80's.  Not sure what that was called).  Then Generation X.  Now, it's Generation Me.  "My game didn't win.  So now I'm going to spew bad things about (site/game/whatever) that didn't choose MY game.  Me me me me me me me."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ScorpionOne
    Welcome to Generation Me.  First there was the Baby Boomers.  Then my generation (from 1975 through the 80's.  Not sure what that was called).  Then Generation X.  Now, it's Generation Me.  "My game didn't win.  So now I'm going to spew bad things about (site/game/whatever) that didn't choose MY game.  Me me me me me me me."

Don't know either, but we could call it the pc generation (Speccy, Commodore, Atari)

Or the AD&D generation? Gygax ftw :)

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Well, it is absolutely understandable that that kind of reward is highly unaccurate and most of the times the winner is the one that spams more votes. The true winner for the best game of the year for the users is obviously the one that comes on the top when you go to the game list and sort by rating/hype.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Most popular games top 10 of today/week/month:

Nope. Pirates101 isn't there.

Had GW2 won I wonder if we would have an article justifying it.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    DOOOM!!!!!

• RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

I guess some shills are getting an hard time from their paymasters for not being able to hype "their" product enough to win the polls...:)

Anyway, most of the shills are very negative and personal on their "forum attacks" against someone complaining about "their product" and that creates a negative feeling capable of triggering "revenge votes" just for the fun of it.

But, all in all, the Pirates 101 victory was fair and square.

All good sportsmen know how to win and loose.

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
    Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
    [laughs]
    Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
    [walks away]
    Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
    Sheldon: What?
    Penny: This plasma grenade.
    [explosion]
    Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
    Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I think it's reasonable for people to be upset when their beloved game isn't chosen as the game of the year. They've invested much time and money into it and want that investment validated. 

However, the teardown mentality comes from a general sense of dissatisfaction with the genre. How many games have we seen relaunched? How many games have we seen under deliver on advertised features? How many games turn free to play only to choke content away from players? The fact of the matter is that many companies don't get it. They don't get what's wrong until they've losted most of their subscribers and have to change business models. They don't get it until they throw up a flag that says "We failed.". Quite frankly, each new MMO that comes out feels like one more lemming to jump off of a cliff. 

If Pirate 101 delivered on their development promises and gave players a fun game with a fair payment model, then more power to them. Even as a fan of the Guild Wars franchise, the game has a long way to come before it should win so many accolades. It's an infant game with so much potential but it's falling short. Here's where:

1. Storywriting: enough with the nauseating togetherness message. I feel like every cut scene is some moralistic advertisement. There's no sense of history, conflict, or culture in the characters, beyond the shallow musings of key characters.

2. Character development: There is no reason I shouldn't be able to store builds or reallocate my traits in town. They did it in the first game and it made the game's culture thrive. If I have to go to an external source to experiment, your game is lacking. The impact of the dignity/ferocity/charm mechanic is nill. I have no reason to go to my home district. 

3. Fun: Some parts just aren't fun. Orr - where every mob snares and yanks you around. Not to mention that bloody run detriment in combat. I should never have to run slower in combat. It is completely illogical and ruins the immersion in several personal story missions. 

Part of the problem with Guild Wars 2 is the attempt to pack so much in one game. Some players want a Bioware-esque narrative. Others want exploration. Others still want raid content. Are all of these necessary for a game to be successful? I believe so. I love the art style and the general direction of the game but it needs to mature a little bit. I think that's an important lesson to take away from it not winning. Just because you are the popular kid doesn't mean you can under-deliver and expect people to remain happy. Fortunately, ArenaNet is a good company and is dedicated to improving their game. I just hope they listen and communicate things before they have another Ascended Items fiasco. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Most polls are unscientific, and it's really only a matter of how unscientific they are.  Even most supposedly proper polls are unscientific to a greater degree than you probably realize.  In particular, all political polling apart from election day results is unscientific.  In order for a poll to be scientific, you have to make everyone in the sample population that you're trying to measure equally likely to be included, and that is impossible if people whose views you're ostensibly trying to measure can refuse to participate.

Internet polls are especially unscientific, though, as the results are heavily skewed by who can be bothered to vote in Internet polls.  Ron Paul's presidential campaign won an awful lot of Internet polls, both in 2008 and 2012, but never came close to winning a primary (as opposed to a caucus).

And, of course, just because an Internet poll is on this site doesn't mean it's representative of the views of the regulars around here.  Many games have asked their players to go to such and such site and vote for the game, sometimes even offering in-game rewards if the game wins.

And that is the real point of the award polls, both on this site and on many others.  Many players who had never heard of mmorpg.com were urged to come to this site to vote for this or that game.  A small fraction of them might even decide they like the site and hang around.  It's not hard to understand why those who run this site might like that outcome.  Many other sites have competitive polls on matters where people have strong opinions for exactly the same reasons.

The columnist correctly says that many of the commenters on the award announcement don't get what the player's choice awards are about, but he doesn't get what they're about, either.  It's about free marketing for the site that hosts the poll and runs the award, and nothing more.  Once you realize that, it's harder to get upset that you don't like who "won".

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by ScorpionOne

This seems to be different per region but you are part of the Generation X even in the USA. People born between 1961 and 1981, after the Post–World War II baby boom.

Generation Y isn't properly defined at the moment but it is being called the Millennial Generation. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The internet is the Mos Eisley Cantina - "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

In truth - I don't think that statement applies to just the internet anymore - because the internet is no longer some seperate thing from our lives/society it is an extension of it.

Human society in general has become a cespool of negativity and evil. I fear for humanity.

Somewhere along the way people stopped learning their "please and thank you's" and stopped caring about basic civility and good manners.

I say this as a 29 year old. I'm not even that old to be this crotchety.

You are wise beyond your years....