Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing/buying. Please Advise me!

2»

Comments

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Thanks so much for the replies guys.

I started over with a new account and purchased ViP. Im confused more than i have ever been in any game in my life and thats saying something, but i think ive found my new game. It isnt the normal "fresh, fun, and fake" feeling i get with new games the last few years either. Its quite freaking amazing imo.

I get the distinct feeling i will not tire of this game any time soon. (which is new and refreshing!!)

I chose Shaolin. I finally earned my Shaolin Monk title, its newbie i know, but im proud. TP (team practice) is just lovely. A group of 10 players working in unison practicing martial arts like you would see in a movie. Not attacking each other mind you, but standing in a formed unit moving together and *nobody* can go afk! I messed up my first turn but have aced the others so far. Its simple enough. But to see everyone working in tandem is just awesome looking really... Ive never seen a mechanic like that before.

Im pretty speechless when it comes to the game tbh. My son came in the room (hes 10) and he was all like "WHOA daddy what game is THAT!?!?" haha.

Loving it so far.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vyeth
    Originally posted by tristanryan

A few questions if anyone has the time. (please)

1. I know nothing about the game other than 30 minutes worth of reading. There seems to be different options to purchase. From what ive gathered, There is a deluxe VIP and then another version with more rewards. If im willing to pay more, or whatever it is, can i get the good deal still? Or is deluxe all that is available now? (confused)

2. Can i trust to use my credit card with these guys?

3. Do you enjoy the game or regret your purchase?

4. Any advice or anything else you can tell me possibly? (good OR bad!)

5. I read that players who spend a little money have an advantage. This is okay. But is it Pay-2-Win? :(

6. Im so confused on the purchasing options. Deluxe = 60 days VIP? Elite = No longer available but 90 days? Will the 60 days last untill full release or what? What do you do after the 60 days and the game isnt released yet?

Please fill me in on this game and if you enjoy yourself, regret your purchase etc etc. I love sandbox and i also enjoy PvP.

I will not go tick by tick, but I will offer up my opinion..

The game is complicated. One of the most complicated RPG systems I have ever played. Also one of the richest, it has many aspects.. I still don't tottally understand the whole game, but I can tell you from the Life skills minigames to the Team Practice "dancing" minigame that there is quite a bit to learn.

It has a great deal of choices to make and the character creation is far from limiting, although it keeps you within the lore (no European on African features or skin colors). Schools play a defined role, and the game really puts emphasis on school politics. A whole system of espionage and conflict between the schools exist. Guilds also have their place and for some people (like EvE) can supersede the school choice so you could typically have a band of misfits from many schools if you choose to.

The negatives for me is that combat can be confusing and the control scheme for me was very different. The game could be more responsive than it is right now. Too laggy for sure and it makes combat more of a guessing game than tactical. Also the cash shop only offers rentable gear (it's only for looks, but you still have to rent it every month) which makes no sense for so many vanity items.

There are no day and night cycles or weather.. Not a big deal for most but in a game touted as being a sandbox this is actually an important feature. Most sandboxes have very detailed weather and time systems.

Still some translation to be fixed, but it's still very playable.

In order to enjoy the game right now you really have to buy deluxe edition, I have it and have had no problems with payment. They offer many ways to pay. Since there are going to be no further wipes the VIP status is in effect and it's 60 days for VIP plus I think 15 gold.

In all, I find the game entertaining. Not a waste at all.

Very well said. This is a good sign after arguing all year about tsw and gw2, we agree about tthis one. 

Hope to kill eeer see you out there ;)

edit- Badspock, you see this ^^^^^???

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I started over with a new account and purchased ViP. Im confused more than i have ever been in any game in my life and thats saying something, but i think ive found my new game. It isnt the normal "fresh, fun, and fake" feeling i get with new games the last few years either. Its quite freaking amazing imo.

I get the distinct feeling i will not tire of this game any time soon. (which is new and refreshing!!)

I chose Shaolin. I finally earned my Shaolin Monk title, its newbie i know, but im proud. TP (team practice) is just lovely. A group of 10 players working in unison practicing martial arts like you would see in a movie. Not attacking each other mind you, but standing in a formed unit moving together and *nobody* can go afk! I messed up my first turn but have aced the others so far. Its simple enough. But to see everyone working in tandem is just awesome looking really... Ive never seen a mechanic like that before.

Im pretty speechless when it comes to the game tbh. My son came in the room (hes 10) and he was all like "WHOA daddy what game is THAT!?!?" haha.

Loving it so far.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

A few questions if anyone has the time. (please)

1. I know nothing about the game other than 30 minutes worth of reading. There seems to be different options to purchase. From what ive gathered, There is a deluxe VIP and then another version with more rewards. If im willing to pay more, or whatever it is, can i get the good deal still? Or is deluxe all that is available now? (confused)

2. Can i trust to use my credit card with these guys?

3. Do you enjoy the game or regret your purchase?

4. Any advice or anything else you can tell me possibly? (good OR bad!)

5. I read that players who spend a little money have an advantage. This is okay. But is it Pay-2-Win? :(

6. Im so confused on the purchasing options. Deluxe = 60 days VIP? Elite = No longer available but 90 days? Will the 60 days last untill full release or what? What do you do after the 60 days and the game isnt released yet?

Please fill me in on this game and if you enjoy yourself, regret your purchase etc etc. I love sandbox and i also enjoy PvP.

Ignore the elite vs deluxe nonsense. Elite was a promotional offer during a previous testing phase. It is now off the table. I got the deluxe and I can't understand people who still talk about elite packages like they deserve them. You don't call up JCrew in May and say, "Wtf guys, my friend bought these pants for 40% off in December, how come I don't get the same discount?"

Yes, they're a legit game company, your cc info is safe. You can always pay by credit card if you're worried and dispute through the bank if anything comes up (haven't heard of any issues, but safety first!)

I do enjoy the game it's a great sandboxy world with fair and meaningful pvp. What I mean by fair is that you won't find yourself getting ganked all day. You can place bounties on people and if people gank people "illegally" then they acrue punishment points and go to jail. They can also suffer School punishments for breaking school rules (some of which include PK'ing) and you can be forced to repent (spending time in-game kneeling at an npc for forgiveness). So pvp is very much task focused, you can take on roles hunt outlaws in the world, detect spys or be a spy, steal opposing school's secret techniques and so on. Lots of back and forth, but little pointless ganking.

As far as advice goes, I'd say don't quit right away! You log in and it's like "what the what?" AoW has a very steep learning curve. The tutorials are limited in scope and aren't very deep, there is little information on the web currently so you won't just be able to google how to do things.

Combat is a little odd at first, you have to put away your expectations and previous experiences on how combat typically plays out. It feels clunky because you hit a skill and your character performs it but doesn't really move around. The reason is that the game in the long run is about depth of abilities and your knowledge of skills combined with twitch flying. If you approch fights as a brawler you are missing much of the games value and you will either win or lose based on who has the most damage. It's more about assessing your opponent, using flying skills for mobility (flying abilities are limited by a meter which replenishes, so there's a tactical element of how to use them) and some skills work with flying manuvers. It's a lot, I'm still learning, you can switch your internal skills as you discover and level more of them to make certain abilities stronger than others, by level 10 internal you'll have 3 sets of skills from your school. It's just goes on. There's blocking, parrying, and attacking. There's "ultimate" type moves which are very powerful but requires rage to perform which generates slowly from attacking or slightly faster if you block. But if you block too much the attacks just start coming through and so on.

Is it pay to win? Well, not really. There is a plateau on skill levels so over time you'll be just as high level as someone else. However, someone who pays money can level faster. So it's a little pay to win at first, but in the long run you'll catch up and their advantage is gone. You can also buy gold in their cash shop which you can convert to in game silver to buy stuff from players, but again, you can make money by playing - it's just slower. The good news is that gear isn't like it is in gear grinding games like WoW - your cheap weapon might do 8-10 damage and have a couple effects and their super fancy weapon my do 10-13 damage and have a couple more effects on it. The gap isn't that large.

Crafting is great, no man stands alone in this game, you need other people to advance your profession. One of the most confusing things is when you learn everything the trainer had and you're like . . . so what now? Well, now you find people in the community to help you advance. Everyone is needed and the best stuff comes from crafting.

A note about flying skills - you only get one base skill which is the double jump in the early quest line. After that you have to get drops or buy them from other players. So don't expect you'll be jetting around in the first five minutes.

Be prepared to put in the time with this game, regardless of if you are spending cash on it or not, it's a heavy time investment, big world with lots of nitty gritty little details to learn.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

AOW is an interesting game. I like the complicated and deep systems in it.  So far I am enjoying it but havent played that much either.

I started trying the CB2 on NA servers but the time restriction is aweful so I downloaded the russian version and changed the files to have it in english.

If you are interested there is a guide that explains how to do this on Age of Wullin forums (European).

Russian version is now in OB and has no time restrictions so is a perfect option to try the game more freely and giving chance to the NA version to settle down. I was about to buy the deluxe edition but frankly Ill rather wait for OB or even release in NA and see how Snail games handle all the issues. For now I can get my fix on russian server.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60

I just came across this game almost by random. I sorta remember seeing a few references to it here on MMORPG but i kinda ignored those. From what I have seen of youtube and the few reviews that I have read this is a great title to look out for. Waiting on my download now... It seems genuinely fresh and full of excellent features (EVE type mechanics on a fantasy rpg!!!!) and I am totally waiting to sink my teeth into it!! I can only hope it can be THE game for me in 2013! 

As a side note I have to point out a few general thoughts:

1)This game is still in BETA so one might expect  improvements (graphics or otherwise) on launch... which is great cause so far it looks awesome! 

2)Saying its P2W I dont agree with in principle. As someone who has on numerous occasions tried EVE I can see the parallels being drawn (I have always wished to see this type of EVE mechanics spread to non spaceship, more typical RPG games). At the end of the day my personal opinion is that if the game is good I will pay a subscription with no doubt rather than f2p it! In the F2P model I consider playing nothing more than an extended trial, which to me makes sense (the sense of entitlement some people get while discussing F2P games is kinda odd) . 

3) Sandboxy! Anyone reading posts on these forums will know that this is a bit of a hot issue at the moment, but personally I am all for it (Archeage is a long way away and this doesnt seem that much weaker in that sense), and look forward to trying these features out in this game. The crafting sounds good! As a non-crafter i might actually give this a shot! Also the OPVP seems to have sensible mechanics built in like tags for persistent PKers/in game law enforcement/bounties (read any sandbox thread on this for forum to see all those things mentioned). IMHO its great that if someone griefs me continuosly I can get my credit card out and make their world a living hell. Still have to see how this works out in game =) 

4) No trinity! Awesome! No more tanking/healing/dps balancing sounds like a great thing to me!  Screw tanking and healing. 

5) More complicated than normal to start with - I think this is great as it implies a depth to the game mechanics and serves as barrier to entry to the that type of gamer who I personally wont miss (EVE learning curve hraphs are appropriate here). 

6)Renting - Not so hot on this... I still kinda like to own what I buy... if its a skin, I want to keep it, if its a bag, I still want to own it since I payed for it. Hopefully this is manageable.

7)Localization - As a russky player I do not play any localized Russian games cause generally the localization is shit (the translation just doesnt work + i am totally crap at typing in russian), and I ve heard little to inspire my confidence in Gpotatoe... I only hope that server lag wont be a problem for me playing US. 

Overall I am very excited to have found this, and look forward to emersing myself during the New Years holidays ( 8 days =))

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Dimsum1337

I just came across this game almost by random. I sorta remember seeing a few references to it here on MMORPG but i kinda ignored those. From what I have seen of youtube and the few reviews that I have read this is a great title to look out for. Waiting on my download now... It seems genuinely fresh and full of excellent features (EVE type mechanics on a fantasy rpg!!!!) and I am totally waiting to sink my teeth into it!! I can only hope it can be THE game for me in 2013! 

As a side note I have to point out a few general thoughts:

1)This game is still in BETA so one might expect  improvements (graphics or otherwise) on launch... which is great cause so far it looks awesome! 

2)Saying its P2W I dont agree with in principle. As someone who has on numerous occasions tried EVE I can see the parallels being drawn (I have always wished to see this type of EVE mechanics spread to non spaceship, more typical RPG games). At the end of the day my personal opinion is that if the game is good I will pay a subscription with no doubt rather than f2p it! In the F2P model I consider playing nothing more than an extended trial, which to me makes sense (the sense of entitlement some people get while discussing F2P games is kinda odd) . 

3) Sandboxy! Anyone reading posts on these forums will know that this is a bit of a hot issue at the moment, but personally I am all for it (Archeage is a long way away and this doesnt seem that much weaker in that sense), and look forward to trying these features out in this game. The crafting sounds good! As a non-crafter i might actually give this a shot! Also the OPVP seems to have sensible mechanics built in like tags for persistent PKers/in game law enforcement/bounties (read any sandbox thread on this for forum to see all those things mentioned). IMHO its great that if someone griefs me continuosly I can get my credit card out and make their world a living hell. Still have to see how this works out in game =) 

4) No trinity! Awesome! No more tanking/healing/dps balancing sounds like a great thing to me!  Screw tanking and healing. 

5) More complicated than normal to start with - I think this is great as it implies a depth to the game mechanics and serves as barrier to entry to the that type of gamer who I personally wont miss (EVE learning curve hraphs are appropriate here). 

6)Renting - Not so hot on this... I still kinda like to own what I buy... if its a skin, I want to keep it, if its a bag, I still want to own it since I payed for it. Hopefully this is manageable.

7)Localization - As a russky player I do not play any localized Russian games cause generally the localization is shit (the translation just doesnt work + i am totally crap at typing in russian), and I ve heard little to inspire my confidence in Gpotatoe... I only hope that server lag wont be a problem for me playing US. 

Overall I am very excited to have found this, and look forward to emersing myself during the New Years holidays ( 8 days =))

You are going to love it, to say the absolute very least. (imo)

• zzx81zzx81 Member Posts: 53

Paying just to play the beta is just pure greed. Giving rare mounts/boosts for paying is fair, but limiting the hours for people to play your beta is bull poop...

I rather just play the chinese server http://9yin.woniu.com/web3/home/index.asp until the english version is released.

Lucky chinese is my 2nd language =D

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Loving it so far.

The confusion goesa away after awhile and then things become second nature. I personaly rather have a complex and large open world with tons of features to get use to, than have my hand held and hae the "story" end. Just keep at it, read a lot, and ask questions. Im downloading now just because of this :) Was going to pass until i started reading some of the comments here on the forums. I love these style of games, using your brain is always a plus :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by WarWitch
    Its a pay to win game, Everything in it is rent for rl cash rent a mount rent bag space x6 etc for 7 days rent gear for loosk 7-30 days etc. The game playes a little slow to me and you caint really move around a lot when you fight. The graphics are kinda dated looking. try it for free for 10 hours. If you try it look for PowPwo and Icoa guild for dungons and team events.

Is this true??? You rent stuff and you don't get to keep it?? I'm not sure I'd play a game where I don't get to keep stuff I buy. I'm fine with losing it to other players if I get pk'd but to buy it and basically be renting it for a certain amount of time is silly.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Its a pay to win game, Everything in it is rent for rl cash rent a mount rent bag space x6 etc for 7 days rent gear for loosk 7-30 days etc. The game playes a little slow to me and you caint really move around a lot when you fight. The graphics are kinda dated looking. try it for free for 10 hours. If you try it look for PowPwo and Icoa guild for dungons and team events.

Is this true??? You rent stuff and you don't get to keep it?? I'm not sure I'd play a game where I don't get to keep stuff I buy. I'm fine with losing it to other players if I get pk'd but to buy it and basically be renting it for a certain amount of time is silly.

Some of its true, the cash shops items (which are all vanity items or mounts) are temporary.

Some player crafted items have a timer as well, like tailor made bags...I am actually in favor of this as it keeps people shopping at tailors. Some people seem to confuse the two however, the tailor made bags being temporary is not a symptom of pay 2 win, nor is the assasins creed looking outfit in the cash shop that does nothing but looks a certain way.

Mounts could be considered a problem, but you can buy them in game (also with a timer) and this game has a unique "flying wushu jump" system which has you spending more time in the air or on the roof than plodding around on your horse. I use my horse for long distance travel but in most events I am on foot, the one exception I can think about is robbing the royal guard or beggars sects as they have big open schools that allow for mounts.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Tayah

Renting items does not make it ptw, so stop spreading this false information. Currently you can't buy anything op in the cs, only cosmetic and convenience items.

As for renting: other player-driven games have full loot to keep the economy working, AoW has timers on items instead. If everything was permament, there would be no economy since you can't loose your stuff in this game. I'd prefered a full loot system à la EVE instead, but that will not happen and this system works just fine.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by zzx81

Paying just to play the beta is just pure greed. Giving rare mounts/boosts for paying is fair, but limiting the hours for people to play your beta is bull poop...

I rather just play the chinese server http://9yin.woniu.com/web3/home/index.asp until the english version is released.

Lucky chinese is my 2nd language =D

Don't mention the gift keys given to VIP members for first beta phase.