Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Tam-Tara Deepcroft Instanced Dungeon Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix has released a new video from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The video shows alpha footage fo the Tam-Tara Deepcroft instanced dungeon and players taking on the monsters within. Check it out!

• The instanced dungeon in this video is designed for low level players. Targeting and actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

• The battle system is currently undergoing significant revision, including changes to all damage algorithms and the claim system.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Stand still combat. :/

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

You're able to move while attacking; the animations just aren't in there yet so they don't show it.  The exclusion to this is casting a magic spell from what I've been able to tell (in terms of needing to stand still to cast; you can move instantly, but it will be interrupted).  You can see the Dragoon moving when he throws his lance in the last few seconds of the video, as an example.

There should be an interview explaining this at ffxivcore.com dated a few months ago or something.   :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91

Looks very shiny, and hitting the enemy feels nice. Looks much better, we shall see though.

Also, SKILL CLICKER! AHHHHH

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    I'd talk about their plans to add a little more meat to the fighting but certain forms I've agreed to dictate I don't. Suffice it to say it APPEARS as though they are listening to the criticism this time.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Flaeb

Looks very shiny, and hitting the enemy feels nice. Looks much better, we shall see though.

Also, SKILL CLICKER! AHHHHH

actions are demonstrated with the mouse instead of keyboard for greater clarity.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    I dont like the spell animations to blah all looks the same basically the spells they showed just diff colors of flash of light basically boring.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Just like every other if not all Final Fantasy games, ever.  Yeah, I'm fine with that.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Meh, i've grown away from it. Sure it was fun on the PS2 but it's not my thing in MMOs anymore.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by elocke

Just like every other if not all Final Fantasy games, ever.  Yeah, I'm fine with that.

tahts not true. Even the single player ones the character jumped towards the monster to hit it then jumped back. The newer versions added improved mobility. This here in ARR is generic stand still asian combat. Dont get me wrong, ill have a blast the first free month of ARR but i wont sub if the dont tweak lack of mobility a bit... specially mages, and archers (or all ranged classes to be exact), fixable with some instant spells

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Game looks amazing and thats just low level content. Also really looking forward to the more traditional combat system.image
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    I remember my biggest gripe with ffxiv was the absolutely horrible lag. If there were more than 5 people near you , it took ages for them to appear on screen (i played from europe). If they dont fix that, i dont really care what other changes they implement.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Looks fine but the strong points of  any Final Fantasy mmo has been the strong community. Looking forward to that a lot.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Two words in this game that makes me never want to play it. "Instanced" & "Apartments". Instanced dungeons are decades old tech and why would I want my avatar to have a small apartment when other mmo's like Aion allow for mansions, or full-sized houses even in Lotro? The answer is I wouldn't.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Two words in this game that makes me never want to play it. "Instanced" & "Apartments". Instanced dungeons are decades old tech and why would I want my avatar to have a small apartment when other mmo's like Aion allow for mansions, or full-sized houses even in Lotro? The answer is I wouldn't.

you don't suppose the housing can be expanded later on?

And instanced dungeons are not decades old tech. I seem to remember playing lineage 2 waaaayyyy back at  launch and the dungeons were not instanced.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SlechtvalkSlechtvalk Member Posts: 33

Ummm thats only Trashmobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jtyECvo1w

Here are highend bosses before ARR.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

still combat is just because its a demo. no many game developers show the game and are moving all over the place.

As long as they get the controllers working fine i am in!! Dont really wan tto play final fantasy ona  keyboard

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Slechtvalk

Ummm thats only Trashmobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jtyECvo1w

Here are highend bosses before ARR.

Thanks for this - a lot better. 

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    I must say that looks much better than before!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!