Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play this game?

First off please forgive any spelling or gramar mistakes

My questions is as stated. I have been a big fan of MMO's. Played EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, FFXI,AOC, SWTOR, Minecraft. However as of late i have been getting really burned out with most of these games. Eve was my favorite but in order for me to enjoy it i had to spend alot of time on it and school and RL were getting affected by it so i had to unfortunetly end my low sec days.

From what i can tell this game is alot like Eve when it comes to high risk, high rewards and i really do like that. What im am worried about every MMO as of late keeps on saying it will bring something new and fresh but ultimately fail and lose most if not all its costomer base in a matter of months. Then these companies scramble to try and bring players back with gimics and totaly forget about trying to fix the game and make it playable.

So to all that have been playing. I know that you can't legaly say much but is this game worth time and money? Or, should just wait.

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    if some one says no will you not play it?
  • ThirteenJinksThirteenJinks Member Posts: 3
    If someone says no i guess i would like them to expand on why they dislike it.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

The fans will tell you to buy it, the 'haters' will tell you otherwise. Which side do you want to hear?

Just read up on the game and make your own decision and if you like it, good for you, otherwise at least you'll know next time.

• ThirteenJinksThirteenJinks Member Posts: 3

Alright i guess i am being to broad in my original question. The thing i am looking for is some feed back. I just want to know why do people like the game or why people dislike the game. Everygame has strong points and weak so, how about i just ask a different question. What are some pros and cons? Examples of what i am looking for...

1. Good community?
    2. Is this a skill based game or do certian classes have avantages over others that even skilled players cant win against?
    3. Does this game reward those who like to explore?

Any insights would be helpful.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

The game is a pretty rough beta, and it was originally going to be released by now. This kinda shows that Aventurine isn't a very strong company in the judgment/development department.

But I will say, what is working, and what is different from the original DF shows quite a lot of work.

I have faith that they'll grow as a company and improve the game significantly until it's ready for release.

My only other problem with the game is the community, it's full of dickheads, to be honest. So if you do decide to play, you should look for a group that you jive with; try not to play it alone.

• Hephaestus_XiiHephaestus_Xii Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Daggerjaydo

The game is a pretty rough beta, and it was originally going to be released by now. This kinda shows that Aventurine isn't a very strong company in the judgment/development department.

But I will say, what is working, and what is different from the original DF shows quite a lot of work.

I have faith that they'll grow as a company and improve the game significantly until it's ready for release.

My only other problem with the game is the community, it's full of dickheads, to be honest. So if you do decide to play, you should look for a group that you jive with; try not to play it alone.

I will have to agree with EVERYTHING Daggerjaydo has said if you come into this came and try to play it solo your first time there is a chance you will not like it there isnt some manuel with all the answers in it that you can refer to. The community can be harsh at times .I would look for a clan than you can connect with and newb friendly meaning they wont chop your head off if you ask a question and go from there

Sabotage Gaming TS3 Open To All Gamer's

Teamspeak IP. 162.243.205.195
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by ThirteenJinks

Alright i guess i am being to broad in my original question. The thing i am looking for is some feed back. I just want to know why do people like the game or why people dislike the game. Everygame has strong points and weak so, how about i just ask a different question. What are some pros and cons? Examples of what i am looking for...

1. Good community?
    2. Is this a skill based game or do certian classes have avantages over others that even skilled players cant win against?

1. It depends whether they are friend or foe, people are very paranoid in Darkfall. One thing not to take to heart, is a handful of idiot vets who think because they played DF1, they have some entitlement to piss on newcomers, just give as good as you get and your soon find out they're pussies.

2. Aim, skills and then gear are the most important factors, if you can't aim for shit, your in trouble in 1v1, but your always be viable in a group, even if you're mr magoo.

3. The feat system is a great edition. Your need to explore to complete feats.

• LarisliaLarislia Member Posts: 20

1. Good community?

1. There's the dicks. Like in any game. However it's one of the most dedicated gaming communities ive ever seen. They definatetly want the game to suceed.

2. Yes darkfall is 100% skill based.

3. Yes there are hidden mob camps, chests etc etc

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I suggest you wait till launch (incase you intend to hop in).

I've seen alot of unhappy imbeciles crying all around whilst they're basing their judgement on an unfinished debug-mode beta build.

You can see all of that ^ just by looking at the hype-meter posts.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    I decided to give the game a shot so I pre-ordered, I beta'd the original DF years and years ago so I knew what I was getting into. I would suggest waiting until release / after release and reading what others write about the game / watching videos of gameplay since right now there is an NDA keeping people from saying anything specific. Even though I'm in the beta I don't plan on playing much at all until the game is actually released due to all the wipes / server issues / etc. AV has experience running an MMO so I have no doubt they will work things out I just know it will take them a bit more time than one would usually expect because 1.) they are Greek and 2.) well, that's just how they are, slow.
  • AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

1. Good community?

1. Hmm ... "Do you even lift ?"

2. Too early to tell. Anyway - switching classes is much, much faster than switching ships in EvE.

3. Yes. The rewards are worth it, assuming that you accept the risk of being outnumbered in the middle of nowhere, or are really good at escaping.

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    1. Good community?

1. DF has a strong community, finding a bat potato or two is inevetable, but the community is overall good.

2. It's pretty much all skill based, can't say otherwise

3. Exploring can actually be very rewarding at times, and it's fun

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by naljeja
    finding a bat potato or two

So... much... awesome.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by naljeja
    finding a bat potato or two

So... much... awesome.

This is what google gave me when I looked it up :

If we can find those in DF Community, I'm resubbing.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

1. Good community?

Given its beta, a whole lot has changed since DF 1.0, and the fact that theres an NDA makes the answers difficult.

1. Community:  Debatable, sometimes the most hilarious community ive delt with, others times the dumbest.  The community does feel much more mature than other themeparks, but that isnt saying much.  In 1.0 the community would gank you then help you as to what you did wrong, and give you a gear bag (if you were noob)..not sure now since theres a lot of new players and soon the steam community.

2. Its sandbox but with roles.  You can switch to anything you want with a regear and 1min activation timer.  Roles seem to be as follows: Tank melee with heavy plate, Skirmisher which is rogue/archer wearing leather, Primalist which is heals, buffs and debuffs, and Mage wearing robes.  You can still use staffs for generic magic and archery on any role, you just dont have active skills for that weapon.  Everyone can use melee weapons, and should.

If something seems to be unbeatable for you, just switch to it, you might learn how to defeat that role after playing it.  

Theres a decent amount of progression in the game, skilling up weapons and active skills, as well as statistics which help it all, theres a booster system to make you viable in your role quick, and they are collectable/swappable.

3. Rewards for exploring?  Well theres an achivement system, not a whole lot rewarding.  People will explore to find other players off guard farming, your reward is their loot.

Play this game if large scale clan vs clan vs multiple 3rd party seige mechanics sound interesting.  Like with 1.0 im sure the multiple 3rd party factor will be a big, and interesting wildcard to the outcome.  People like to show up to the party and loot the hundreds of tombstones for others seige bags, and occasionally will tip the balance.  That alone makes the game very interesting, where most other games lock you in an instance to siege other clans and the outcome is very predictable.

If that doesnt sound interesting, i would skip this game.  The pvp is fun, but not e-sport, you need to aim like a FPS but its not over the top FPS, more mount n blade-ish.

Also you have to accept the fact that this isnt a themepark, theres no quest hubs to hold you hand to the right path of progression.  the achivement system helps a bit though, and youll need to use it to get undisclosed "things" quickly.

This game is one where either your gonna love it or hate it. Theres no average experience between you starting and reaching endgame, since endgame is once you join a clan that seiges...which can be right after the tutorial if you want.

• tw1386tw1386 Member UncommonPosts: 9

No do not give this compnay your Money, they do not deserve it!

I pre-order the game, and I'm going to try my best to warn people about the terribleness of this game. DF 1.0 was so much better, all they did was CREATE MORE PROBLEMS! 

You can blame it on the debug mode if you like, but that's just a cop-out. We all know it. 

It's sad that this game has so much Hype, yet when it launches it's going to be a disaster and it really will be the end of Adventurine.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

1. Good community?

The community as a whole is pretty terrible, but in general MMO's community have not been good for almost 9 years now (figure out what game I am blaming on your own).  However, you can avoid the bad community by sticking with your clan/allies.  As it is a PvP game you need to realize people will grief and you will have to learn to avoid this or take advantage of this as a new player.      

It is a skill based game.  The nerf crowd that popped up about nine years ago of course will come in and cry nerf whenever they lose a fight.  Also, you will see people complain about classes not being balanced way before the characters even develop.  But yes, skill tops everything.  Many members of my clan are much better than I am and they would destroy me in PvP.  These members have also destroyed players in better gear than them while outnumbered.  Practice makes perfect.

Yes.  There are feats that reward you to explore... it is not the fastest method but it is there.  Additionally, you may come across treasures in the form of chaos chests, chests, weapon racks etc. where you can be rewarded with gold, resources, weapons, armor, or other various items.

• TigerDriverTigerDriver Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by tw1386

No do not give this compnay your Money, they do not deserve it!

I pre-order the game, and I'm going to try my best to warn people about the terribleness of this game. DF 1.0 was so much better, all they did was CREATE MORE PROBLEMS! 

You can blame it on the debug mode if you like, but that's just a cop-out. We all know it. 

It's sad that this game has so much Hype, yet when it launches it's going to be a disaster and it really will be the end of Adventurine.

^ this.

• CitalssCitalss Member Posts: 28

Guys, I have an offtopic question. I really, really want a refund for this game (Should be possible as all I've done is pre-order a game) and they aren't replying to me. How do I go about getting a backcharge?

Do I just got into my bank and simply ask them to backcharge a payment I made?

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

NO

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Daggerjaydo

Welcome to all PvP MMORPG's

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.