Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen vs. Eve. vs. Elite: Dangerous

WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
I have looked at all of these games on kickstarter and their respective websites, but can someone explain the differences between the games in "neutral" way? Because I am looking for a good space game for me and my GF. So maybe one that is more party / group friendly? Thanks.

Comments

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    I wouldn't worry too much about Star Citizen yet since its release date is set around 2014-2015. Things can and will change in that game, but to summarize it it is a space sim, which should be very different from Eve.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Hard question to tackle, especially this early on, but if you go have a look at kickstarter, at Elite Dangerous Site, the common interview of Chris and David, you will hear from both of them, especially from Chris, that these games will not compete, their focus will cater along to gamers who love space games just as well together.

So, instead of loosing yourself in a debate, dillemas, and specula on what is what, when 2 out of 3 haven't even released, i would answer your vs and vs question with a simple answer dogma:

Eve Online and Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen:)

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Yeah
  • Here's my take on it, based on my impressions so far.

Star Citizen:

- Hands on combat sim

- Strong, directied single player experience

- Persistent multiplayer universe to explore, fight and trade in

- Incredible graphics if you have a powerful rig

Elite: Dangerous:

- Mind-boggingly enormous persistent multplayer universe to explore, fight and trade in

- Hands on combat sim

- Very open-ended with little direction

EvE: Online

- Detached point and click combat

- Persistent multiplayer universe to explore, fight and trade in

- Very open-ended with little direction

- The ultimate sandbox toolkit

Also, EvE is a full-fledged MMO with all that entails. The other two may turn out to be more like "hybrid" MMOs, but we'll see.

• DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28

I dunno about Elite but Star Citizen will be something completely different then Eve. SC will be alot like Wing Commander/Freelancer/X3 type of game where as Eve is more along the lines of tradition MMO with regards to UI.

Now before any Eve fans cry foul about comparing Eve to traditional MMO like EQ, WOW, or whatever, I am not saying Eve is the same as those. Just that much of the UI is similar as in you use your equipment (skills, powers) by pressing the function keys. SC will likely be much more twitch based. Joysticks will likely get alot of support and attention in SC as you will be able to dog fight with a much more fly by wire system then you have in Eve.

I play Eve and I've dropped 125 bucks into the crowdfunding for Star Citizen and am very much looking forward to playing it. As it's a completely different genre of game, I'll likely play both much to my wife's dismay.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

As I get it:

Both games will be similiar in what you can do, both games will also have some FPS/Avatar based gameplay.

SC, besides the persistent universe,  will have single player story campaigns added over time (Wing Commander Style) on top and overall more story mission development with cutscenes.

Elite confirmed seamless planetary landings in a future update, something which is  uncertain for SC at the moment.

Elite might be a little more "sandboxy" and the universe is procedurally generated, therefore more to explore but probably more generic systems.

I backed both games with the same amount of money :)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AndriuzzAndriuzz Member Posts: 1
    Um Chris him self said same thing, that seamless planetary landing might be introduced later with updates.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Well one thing that is for sure, unless your girlfriend is somewhat unique, she isn't likely to enjoy playing Eve as it probably has the fewest number of female players out of any major MMORPG. But then again, not that many men enjoy it either in the greater scheme of the MMORPG universe.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

you can try eve online for free 14 days... i started playing this game two weeks ago and i'm ejoying a lot.

I wont talk about all you can do in eve universe, but for me, a very important thing is how you can interact with the community. Since is not a fast game, crazy leveling and so, you can meet your corporation mates, talk and do stuff together. 

Here you have a 21day trial invitation... you can use it for you and your GF

Safe travels

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Why not play all 3? The only one with a sub fee is EVE so it isn't like you'd be paying 3 subs. Both Elite and Star Citizen will be Buy 2 Play as far as we know currently. I've already done the EVE thing but I definitely will be getting both Star Citizen(Already pledged me a copy) and Elite. Both are going to be great games that offer different play experiences.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I recommend you avoid EVE Online.

It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by WonderweissM
    I have looked at all of these games on kickstarter and their respective websites, but can someone explain the differences between the games in "neutral" way? Because I am looking for a good space game for me and my GF. So maybe one that is more party / group friendly? Thanks.

Simple way to say this is EVE has nothing in common with either Star Citizen or Elite.

Technically EVE is not even a space sim - it is more of a political/enterprise-building sim.

If you like dogfights in space and doing missions with a few friends and just buy a new laser cannon afterwards you won't enjoy EVE, at all.

• thalphathalpha Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Xondar123

It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

You're either intentionally trying to drive people away or you don't know what you're talking about, but pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

1. Subpar - A matter of opinion, but I'm pretty sure the many, many people that play would disagree with you. CCP puts a lot of work into the game to make it as good as possible (despite the number of players that whine about them).
    2. Skill divide - Yes the vets are going to have more raw SP because they've been playing longer. However, if a new player specializes, it will only take them a month or two to almost completely catch up to a vet on that particular area. For example, once a vet gets all the skills related to flying a frigate, they're done. You can acquire the same skills and be on the same level as them in a matter of months. Just make sure you use your training time wisely.
    3. Devs being in corps/alliances - This has been a non-issue for a very long time (like 2006 or something, before I was around). I believe that it did happen with an alliance called Band of Brothers, in which a dev was in a leadership position and actively worked to advance the alliance through his ties in the company, but CCP found out, fired him, and instituted a policy in which anyone working for CCP can no longer use their leverage to help out corps/alliances.
    4. New players being griefed - If it happens in the starting areas, it is actually a bannable offence I think. Anywhere else is free game, because Eve doesn't coddle people like every other game out there.
    TL;DR: You don't know what you're talking about, so stop commenting on it.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Other than the red highlighted text, this post is 100% factually false.

For me, I play all space games. Yes, I even play the Battlecruiser series (Hi Derek! :P) so I don't get this 'vs' thingy.

Its like asking me 'Vanilla Ice Cream vs Chocolate Ice Cream'. Who cares? Its ice cream and its good!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

atm eve is  in the best position 

its out  you can play it  and has had years of development  

but it needs to watch out

i believe that no person started playing eve wanting  the  control system that it uses 

but they have over the many years got used to it  so its become normal

now when elite  or  star citizen comes out    it could spell really bad news to eve

they both could  give players dog fighting and real skill combat

then eve will be difficult to sell especialy if the others dont need a sub

the only people to play eve then will be the ones who invested years into the game  and new people like always in eve will find it  too  big a gap for them and just start playing the newer games

i still belive eve has a chance to  become even bigger they have two years   to get things right if they dont they  wont be the only space sim/mmo and then they could  face huge subscription losses

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by WonderweissM

Well

Eve is the only proper full on MMORPG out of the list.

Star Citizen will have an MMO side to it but its not a full MMORPG as such.

I dont think Eltie will have anything like that, could be wrong tho.

I would say you can only really compare SC and Elite as eve is a totally different game.

Jsut read up on both the kickstarter sites and make up your own mind, unless of course your looking for an MMORPG then go for eve.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I'm playing eve since february 2013 and im enjoying and learning the game mechanics... its fun and allows you to make a good sense of community.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Kerbal Space Program.

/thread

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

EVE is game with 13 years of development put into it.

The two others are KickStarter Dreams that we still have to actually play. "Good Ideas" does not always translate to "Good Game".

I still think the avarage play time for an EVE player is around 6 months, so you have plenty of time to play EVE and burn out on it before the otehrs are ready.

That said its oranges and apples. Completely different gameplays.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by zimboy69

atm eve is  in the best position 

its out  you can play it  and has had years of development  

but it needs to watch out

i believe that no person started playing eve wanting  the  control system that it uses 

but they have over the many years got used to it  so its become normal

now when elite  or  star citizen comes out    it could spell really bad news to eve

the only people to play eve then will be the ones who invested years into the game  and new people like always in eve will find it  too  big a gap for them and just start playing the newer games

i still belive eve has a chance to  become even bigger they have two years   to get things right if they dont they  wont be the only space sim/mmo and then they could  face huge subscription losses

its the old x game is going to kill wow argument, but for a change, targetting Eve, only, its irrelevant as their all niche games - with all that entails, Eve has been growing, slowly, since launch, its the only game to do so afaik, thats not to say that Eve players won't also play those games too, pretty sure most Eve players play at least one other MMO, probably GW2 in which case wouldnt it make more sense that there will be fewer GW2 players once those games come out... yeah, its a nonsensical statement, which is equally as valid as your own, and oddly enough, using the same logic.

of course, if Star Citizen and Elite dangerous do manage to reduce player numbers in GW2, then i guess we'll both be very surprised image

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Lol. Just. Lol.

It is fair enough to admit that EVE is not you type of game. But to call it sub-par and then just bad mouth it with random mostly false claims, thats a bit harsh.

Steep learning curve: Partially, but the tutorial is quite good these days for getting you going.

You cannot catch up: You can. You totally can. The skill tree is flat, so catching up is quite easy. Player skill is more often the issue that character skill in EVE. Any character a few months old can be a fully contributiong member in fleets with 10 year old chars. The distance from rookie to high end gameplay is one of the shortest out there. Can you grind yourself to the top in other games faster? Sure! But in EVE you get there if you grind or not due to the time based training.

The deveolpers metagame: Come on. That statement is so 2007 Goon propaganda...

n00bs can get ganked: Yes they can. But not with imputiny. Ganking n00bs for no reason other than lol's is actually a banable offense.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by zimboy69

• Earth and Beyond
    • Vendetta Online
    • NeoCron
    • Battlestar Galactica Online
    • Star Trek Online
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • Clone Wars Adventures
    • SWTOR
    • Planetside
    • Planetside 2
    • Star Sonata
    • ACE Online
    • Dark Orbit
    • Perpetuum
    • Entropia Universe
    • Pardus.it
    • Pirate Galaxy 
    • Black Prophecy
    • Afterworld
    • Anarchy Online

There is now and always has been competition in the sci-fi and space MMO market. There are plenty of choices to suit a wide range of playstyles. None of the games has been a 'killer' of the others, partially because they all vary greatly in what they offer.

It seems like you are working on the assumption that the people who want 'dog fighting with real skill combat' are playing EVE instead of the games that actually offer that. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Seems some green is on this forum again, that have all the answers right in their pockets^

Yes i remember these people that have all the answers, yet they comment on everything like their opinion is the best, and yet jump on every new opinion as a T remark....No i have not forgotten your remark...

And to the topic, you are wrong, there is no real competition in the space genre, EvE and SWG have carried the flag alone most of the years gone by, no matter how many mediocre space game list you post.

Sorry to buzz your full of space games world, but time has come for games like Star Citizen, or Elite, to carry the space genre flag, with EvE, not against it.

Next time you jump on someone's opinion  assume you will not make long time friends either.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Star citizen is a wing commander based project yeah?

Wing commander isn't a sandbox. A multiplayer elite would have a lot in common with eve, a multiplayer wing commander couldn't really.
    The Squadron 42 part of SC will look like the Wing Commander game, with a series of missions to take until you finish the story, which has been told will be followed by more chapters in the future. And that is just one aspect of SC only.

Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us