Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to get rid of Jita scammers?

MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

what would you think would be enough -and simple- to get rid of that Jita local scam spam?

Scammers on newb chars getting blocked; creating new chars to spam again, getting blocked and again and again....

So what would be a good idea to CCP or the community?

*close local chat asap?

*limit local posts to characters older then 6 months?

*introduce a chatfilter from anyone younger then 6 months? (would introduce lag though)

*never visit Jita?

*change Jita to a 0.0 system

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Not a big Eve fan and only spent so long there but even I wasn't an idiot to fall for their stuff.

You start policing the game as a company and you're starting down a slippery slope.

ALL of your ideas hurt new players.  Again, not a smart move.

Did someone from Jita scam you or something because you've clearly not thought any of this through?

IRL I get spam all the time in my email.  I know the FBI isn't wanting me to pay them, nor is some African prince trying to give me his inheritance.  Eve is about players policing other players.  The real world has dirtbags too.  You don't see us cutting their tongues out.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Your suggestions are quite bad.

Limiting a players ability to play the game if they have not been on it for 6 months. Glad you aren't running any games I play sheesh.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

There is actually a limited amount of scammers in Jita. Just keep blocking them and the channel will slowly but steadily grow more bearable.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I find the local chat of Jita/Amarr quite entertaining tbh. And no, we don't need stupid limitations in EVE to protect stupid players from themselfs. If someone scams you is nobody's fault but your own. You just need to read carefuly before you buy/sell something and use common sense and you'll be fine.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

There's no need to do anything. It works as intended currently.

If you have troubles with scammers, then it's quiet possibly your own fault.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Your suggestions are quite bad.

Limiting a players ability to play the game if they have not been on it for 6 months. Glad you aren't running any games I play sheesh.

be very glad indeed.

No, I was just putting forward some ideas.....I know most em don't work, just trying to put get some sort of conversation going.....of course you always have trollers -like you- in such threads who can't comment in a normal adult way. :)

And to a earlier poster, I have been playing since beta.....and I read contracts before accepting so untill this date I have NEVER been scammed in EVE.

It's just that I earn my money visiting Jita for a few minutes before embarking back to my moons but lately I have been in Jita local a bit longer so it caught my attention.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

But why should it be eliminated? It's not like anyone is using Jita local as a legitimate business or social channel anyway so you can just ignore it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by tom_gore

But why should it be eliminated? It's not like anyone is using Jita local as a legitimate business or social channel anyway so you can just ignore it.

Nah, it was just the case if I block 300+ players for scamming......they delete the chars and create new alts to start new spambots to reach the community after they get blocked by everyone.

Got a grunt in my corp doing just that, using a bot to spam local spams for 1w, then he kills of 1 char and creates a new one and starts again...

I was looking at that and just thinking like: should there be a way besides minimizing local or leaving system to prevent that?

nothing more, nothing less.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There is a simple rule to dealing with Jita, and that is, totally ignore local, anything advertised in Jita local will be a scam, and anybody trying to carry out legitimate trades by advertising in Jita local is probably misguided at best, and a complete fool at worst, there are enough ways of trading already in game, they work, and the only way you can be ripped off with them is if you don't read the contract details carefully, market transactions are more secure, although you can setup trades where you have buy orders for a particular item or items at a high value, and conveniently have an alt selling this same commodity at a slightly lower price, its a scam that preys on peoples greed, because when they try and sell the items to you, the trade fails due to the buyer not having enough isk.. leaving the scamee in possession of an overpriced commodity he can't get rid of easily.. fun times image anyway short answer is you can't cheat an honest man, but you can usually cheat a dishonest/greedy one, if their daft/greedy enough image
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Nah, it was just the case if I block 300+ players for scamming......they delete the chars and create new alts to start new spambots to reach the community after they get blocked by everyone.

Got a grunt in my corp doing just that, using a bot to spam local spams for 1w, then he kills of 1 char and creates a new one and starts again...

I was looking at that and just thinking like: should there be a way besides minimizing local or leaving system to prevent that?

nothing more, nothing less.

Since CCP endorses the Jita spam and scam, probably not.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    *Right click* *Block* GG

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I found a fool proof way... don't visit Jita.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Using Phry or dave's way is the best.  I rarely go to Jita and when I do I don't even look at my local window (which is segregated on its own from my other chat windows.)  Nothing is wrong here.  Working as intended.  The best thing us (possibly) non-scammers can do is to keep educating n00bz about ignoring Jita local as well.  The only thing they should see while in Jita is clicking Dock on 4-4 when they enter the system and clicking Jump on their exit gate as they undock from 4-4 (aside from conducting whatever business brought em to Jita in the first place.)

GL HF Fly Safe,

o7

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    I've only been there once so far as wasn't really paying attention but it appears there are scammers everywhere in all of the major systems, at least all of the ones I've visited so far with 50+ people in them.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

The simplest solution is to get players on their own initiative to read the contract before they accept it and the scammers would all go away.

Second to that would be player driven awareness about scamming in Jita.

Your solutions turn CCP into some sort of nanny.

EvE is a sand box not a nursery.  CCP provides the tools and leaves the rest up to you.

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

This is a huge issue in the game, and what's worse is the total lack of control by the Eve Development Team, to address this issue. in part, these scammers, have no fear of the Eve GM/Devs at all, and, if I was on that team, the first thing I'd do, is pop into the major trade hubs, and State in Bold Chat, that if any scammer is caught, shouting out while a Dev, or, GM is visiting the system, that player is Banned automatically for 7 days, without the ability to delete, and/or, create another character, that way, when a Dev/GM shows up, the real sellers, can still carry on, knowing at least thier voice is getting heard.

Second, if, that player is warned, and, has recieved a banning, and, he/she gets caught again, their inventory on second offence gets locked for 7 days, and all trades and contracts are also locked.

That way the GMs and Devs put the fear of watching back into the scammers, and, maybe regain a little respect, after all, today, I've no respect for any of them, as, they don't care one bit about the scammer problem, let alone, actually trying to solve the problem in some for or fashion.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Eve online is one of those unique games that we are fortunate to have on the market.  Let it be.  It obviously worked for them for years.

If this stuff bothers you, why do you want to go to jita?  Or even play the game?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Baxslash

This is a huge issue in the game, and what's worse is the total lack of control by the Eve Development Team, to address this issue. in part, these scammers, have no fear of the Eve GM/Devs at all, and, if I was on that team, the first thing I'd do, is pop into the major trade hubs, and State in Bold Chat, that if any scammer is caught, shouting out while a Dev, or, GM is visiting the system, that player is Banned automatically for 7 days, without the ability to delete, and/or, create another character, that way, when a Dev/GM shows up, the real sellers, can still carry on, knowing at least thier voice is getting heard.

Second, if, that player is warned, and, has recieved a banning, and, he/she gets caught again, their inventory on second offence gets locked for 7 days, and all trades and contracts are also locked.

That way the GMs and Devs put the fear of watching back into the scammers, and, maybe regain a little respect, after all, today, I've no respect for any of them, as, they don't care one bit about the scammer problem, let alone, actually trying to solve the problem in some for or fashion.

You are playing the wrong game. Scamming, spying, suicide ganking and all that stuff is what EvE is about. If you don't like that  why are you even playing the game?

You probably don't realize that scamming is allowed in EVE?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

what would you think would be enough -and simple- to get rid of that Jita local scam spam?

Scammers on newb chars getting blocked; creating new chars to spam again, getting blocked and again and again....

*close local chat asap?

*introduce a chatfilter from anyone younger then 6 months? (would introduce lag though)

*never visit Jita?

Just before you jump into Jita, minimise local.

Since everything posted in Jita local is a scam or people calling out scams, you will lose nothing of value.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

I didn't say abolish it altogether, I said, that scammers have NO FEAR, of the GMs, and, Devs. And, that the GMs and Devs aren't willing to put the fear of  banning in the game, because of those scammers. What angers me is the stupidy of the GMs and Devs to make the excuse that its allowed in the real world, and, that no one has been caught doing scamming in the real world, WERE AS, the real world, scammers in some countries, are locked up for several years, or, worse, depending on the scams, lose either a body part, or, even worse. And, that's what I'm suggesting. If they want to make the excuse of the Real World applications, then, maybe they ALSO, make the crime of getting caught fit the real world politics.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

*close local chat asap?

*never visit Jita?

In a scenario like this, nothing is more powerful than players educating players.

Something to consider is that Jita is not like Orgrimmar or other static dev-created trade hubs. If Jita becomes a hassle to trade in for any reason, trade will just move to another system.

Jita is its own best example in that case, as it only became popular because the previous hub, Yulai, was no longer as accessible due to a change in jumpgate routes.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

cmon

It is Eve ,NO limitations

We all was victim or if not yet, We ll be

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

What ever you do it will either;

a, Change the system that is used

or

b, Create more problems that it solves.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

If they want to make the excuse of the Real World applications, then, maybe they ALSO, make the crime of getting caught fit the real world politics. 

I would argue that it does already.  Those that commit the crime of getting scammed pay the price.  Working as intended, nothing to see here, please move along.

o7,

-k