Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game wont last

2»

Comments

• DjinnAjitDjinnAjit Member Posts: 16

I have now tried out DUST 514.  It was only for a few days...but personally, it was not for me.  But more confusing is that I have no idea what market this game is going for.  I know FPS gamers that only play the genre.  I cannot imagine them enjoying this game on too many levels.  CCP managed to take EVE and combine it's complexity (I'm aware not to the same degree) into a FPS.  

As I was playing DUST, all I kept thinking was...this is BETA, it's not being released any time soon?  I have played this game, it's called Planetside 2 only done better with a much easier learning curve and it's already out.

I'm not a hardcore FPS gamer at all, much more casual.  Endless menu options and tutorials were just not my idea of a good time.  I understand what CCP is trying to do here.  However, making it a PS3 game seems to be ignoring EVE's main audience.  Which to be honest is the only group I could see enjoying this game.

Even the terminology (which I was used to from EVE) was something I could just see confusing some of my friends who are not hardcore gamers, they just want to shoot things.  

Overall, the game play was FINE.  It's Beta, so I don't expect much.  I just have a hard time seeing it find a wide audience needed to keep it going.  In fact, part of me wonders if it will ever make it out of Beta.

I do not hate the concept of having a complex FPS with huge customization and coordination online.  But I felt like certain things could have been done easier for a more casual player who has to work through menus on a controller on their living room couch.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

There's 2 maps.

I'll break NDA, but I mean the only thing missing from this game and other XP based shooters is prone.

It's not that confusing, you just get a lot of options. I mean Call of Duty gave everyone very liner progression and that's great, but I could see any shooter fan getting behind more customization.

The currency situation is a bit confusing for non-EVE players.

Honestly they just need more maps and more inspired map design / modes. They could borrow more from the Crysis series rather than Battlefield honestly.

But anyway I can see this game being confusing for most people only due to the fact they're giving people so much choice. Look at the reviews in this thread.. "It's rushed, it's complicated." 

It's on par with most of the console shooters out there. It will be hard to market giving people choice.

a yo ho ho

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

all this sound like eve at release if the history is made to repeat itself then i dont see any problem

BestSigEver :P

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

When I first heard about DUST, I felt sad and angry. 

The whole point of Eve (originally) was to make a science fiction 'world'. Fragmenting it seemed absolutely crazy to me at the time.

For example, if Eve players could get out of their ships and fight - it might put Eve at the forefront of MMORPGs. Instead, Eve (and DUST) will be perpetually relegated to a 'niche game' role because CCP have divided their resources and limited the scope of both games simultaniously.

Basically, greed and ambition got the better of CCP.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by COORS
    Originally posted by Zinzan

It was a bad idea in the first place and a huge waste of resources.

Dust will bomb and bomb badly.

Couldn't agree more. The whole idea was a total waste of time and resources. Anyone who's exited about this sub-par offering needs to get a life.

And anyone who goes around posting on forums to hate on a game needs to get a life.

Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by COORS
    Originally posted by Zinzan

It was a bad idea in the first place and a huge waste of resources.

Dust will bomb and bomb badly.

Couldn't agree more. The whole idea was a total waste of time and resources. Anyone who's exited about this sub-par offering needs to get a life.

And anyone who goes around posting on forums to hate on a game needs to get a life.

It's very important to have opinions aired.

Before reading the comments here today, I was on the verge of buying a PS3. I thought DUST was coming out after Chistmas.

Now I know not to by a PS3 (yet).

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

When I first heard about DUST, I felt sad and angry. 

The whole point of Eve (originally) was to make a science fiction 'world'. Fragmenting it seemed absolutely crazy to me at the time.

For example, if Eve players could get out of their ships and fight - it might put Eve at the forefront of MMORPGs. Instead, Eve (and DUST) will be perpetually relegated to a 'niche game' role because CCP have divided their resources and limited the scope of both games simultaniously.

Basically, greed and ambition got the better of CCP.

Agreed, they saw the large market for console shooters and decided to go after the millions and millions served.

Never occurred to them that if this title had been released on the PC in addition to a console many EVE players such as my self (who never has played a console shooter) would purchase a copy, just for the heck of it and to have a "complete" set of the game universe.  Who knows,  might have even opened me up to a whole new avenue of gaming.

But by taking this path, I'm never going to purchase a copy of Dust 514 (though some of my corpmates have tried the beta) and they lost an opportunity for addition sales as well as making the world more engaging.

Like someone else mentioned, I think they would have been better off diverting the resources into WOD, but hey, it's their money, they can use it as they see fit.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne When I first heard about DUST, I felt sad and angry.    The whole point of Eve (originally) was to make a science fiction 'world'. Fragmenting it seemed absolutely crazy to me at the time.   For example, if Eve players could get out of their ships and fight - it might put Eve at the forefront of MMORPGs. Instead, Eve (and DUST) will be perpetually relegated to a 'niche game' role because CCP have divided their resources and limited the scope of both games simultaniously.   Basically, greed and ambition got the better of CCP.
    Agreed, they saw the large market for console shooters and decided to go after the millions and millions served.

Never occurred to them that if this title had been released on the PC in addition to a console many EVE players such as my self (who never has played a console shooter) would purchase a copy, just for the heck of it and to have a "complete" set of the game universe.  Who knows,  might have even opened me up to a whole new avenue of gaming.

But by taking this path, I'm never going to purchase a copy of Dust 514 (though some of my corpmates have tried the beta) and they lost an opportunity for addition sales as well as making the world more engaging.

Like someone else mentioned, I think they would have been better off diverting the resources into WOD, but hey, it's their money, they can use it as they see fit.

If Dust 514 works, and they do get a sizable number of FPS players, then it will be easier for them to get the funding they need for WoD. Investors are more likely to invest in a developer with two successful games than one successful game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Mors.Magne When I first heard about DUST, I felt sad and angry.    The whole point of Eve (originally) was to make a science fiction 'world'. Fragmenting it seemed absolutely crazy to me at the time.   For example, if Eve players could get out of their ships and fight - it might put Eve at the forefront of MMORPGs. Instead, Eve (and DUST) will be perpetually relegated to a 'niche game' role because CCP have divided their resources and limited the scope of both games simultaniously.   Basically, greed and ambition got the better of CCP.

If Dust 514 works, and they do get a sizable number of FPS players, then it will be easier for them to get the funding they need for WoD. Investors are more likely to invest in a developer with two successful games than one successful game.

I imagine Dust514 will work. As it comes free for 30 days on all PS3 Unchartered systems. You also recieve a free scout vehicle, some aurum and some items. If the skill progression is anything like EVE. Ill have a distinct advantage over some of the other players in this title.

Originally posted by xpowderx

I imagine Dust514 will work. As it comes free for 30 days on all PS3 Unchartered systems. You also recieve a free scout vehicle, some aurum and some items. If the skill progression is anything like EVE. Ill have a distinct advantage over some of the other players in this title.

People don't return to games because of skill progression systems, they return to games because they enjoy them. (I might be cancelling my subscription to Eve after many years because at around 2008, CCP started losing the plot.)

YouTube videos of DUST gameplay just don't look different or exciting enough.

If it was room-to-room fighting with drones on a crumbing derelict space ship, DUST might look a bit more interesting.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

People don't return to games because of skill progression systems, they return to games because they enjoy them. (I might be cancelling my subscription to Eve after many years because at around 2008, CCP started losing the plot.)

If it was room-to-room fighting with drones on a crumbing derelict space ship, DUST might look a bit more interesting.

Were you the EvE player who gave 2B isk to Goonswarm to join them?

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I take it you're a member of Goonswarm / employee of CCP?

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I take it you're a member of Goonswarm / employee of CCP?

Neither, I thought I recognised the name from a while back on here before I signed up?

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs