Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT is worth your money

hobbitpimphobbitpimp Member UncommonPosts: 17

Hello everyone. I asked some questions over the past few weeks about various topics, including the future of mmo's and what are the best current games out there, etc etc.

So I took one posters advice and reinstalled rift(which I had not played since 2 months after launch). I must say with all enthusiasm and integrity that I am absolutely amaized by this game.

We talk about innovation and the little things that we wish mmo's would do and I feel rift does alot of these "little" things. Things like the insatnt action option which is almost an INSTANT q. And not only that but you can be in an instant action adventure while still being q'ed for a dungeon! BRILLIANT! Things like in the instant action it will adjust your level sometimes for the area or group you go with, but the xp and end rewards you earn are applied and appropriate for your true level! The game just makes leveling fun. Crafting is rich but can have a bit of a curve imo but still very much worth it. The classes are almost infinite and very liberal. Heal as a mage or tank as a cleric! Good stuff. And the graphics, while not the absolute best out there, are still better than 90% of most other mmo's on the current market. And a big plus for me is the stability of the game. Always content being added and new stuff to explore. If you are looking for a High Fantasy mmo and are bored with wow and let down by gw2 and disgusted with swtor, I HIGHLY RECCOIMEND RIFT. It is imo definately worth your 15$ a month!

I miss the massive in MMO.

Comments

• darthbuhdarthbuh Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Pay it then.
    Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
    On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I love a lot about Rift, and played it for about 4 months, which in this day and age isn't bad for me. That being said, the macro combat and mind-numbing quest hub grinding has taken its toll...well for me at least. If this is your jam however, than rock and roll. :)

Joined - July 2004

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I haven't played it in a long time. I did play it off and on when it first came out. I just never could quite get in to it.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

1.  wrong forum

2.  everyone has different interpretation of 'little things'.  For me the little things are things that go beyond the absolute basics and are in reality not so little. Something like NPC personalities.  Quest presentation.  A rhyme and reason to things..for instance, what is the point of IAs and how do they fit into the game world?  Rift has strong gameplay elements but its a lousy world (especially 1-50) and lacks soul.

3. Crafting is rich with a curve?  huh?  Its slightly more advanced WoW crafting.  

4.  Rift is certainly worth a try.  Its very good for what it is and has gotten better.  But its a game where leveling is treated like a chore, a means to an end.  If you are a destnation type of person (endgame endgame endgame) who doesnt really care about the world he plays in Rift is the best of its kind.  If you are a journey type of player Rift likely isnt for you.

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181
    And if it didn't have that horrible macro system then i might have actually went back to play it...
  • MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by hobbitpimp
    Dude, it is ppl like you that make the mmo community look bad. All I did was give my honest opinion of a game I am playing and you have to come in with a smart ass comment and be a doosh. Go away and troll someone else please.

If you expected anything different on this forum then you must be new here or just naive. 

RIFT is worth the money if you enjoy themepark, loot-driven MMOs. Trion has done an excellent job at pushing out content and implementing requested features. RIFT is a solid game. If you enjoy games in the style of WoW but are just tired of WoW, RIFT is the best alternative.

Personally I am burnt out on these type of games.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    I played it back during beta and I have to say that I wasn't a fan of it. It seemed ok I guess, not any worse then anything else out there but the thing that i couldn't stand is how it grabbed your hand and litterly walked you through each level and led you to the next area that you should be fighting at. To me there was no adventuring at all and was just being pushed towards the next quest hub. Some people may like that, but it drove me nuts. I also wasn't a huge fan of the fighting mechanics in the game either. At least thats my opinion of it, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but if I was to compare it to GW2, I think there is no comparrison, GW2 beats it hands down. While GW2 does similiarly take you from quest area to quest area, they do it in a way that doesn't feel like they are pushing you only in that direction. You actually feel like you are exploring and not being directed where to go. I also am not a huge fan of the fighting mechanics in GW2 either but the look and feel of the game actually makes me feel like I am an adventurer and a fairly powerful one at that. Something that rift never came close to making me feel.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110

Um, to my knowledge it doesn't have the macro system anymore (At least not where you queue up 9 skills on one ability).

Also, if your bored of the quest hub grind, run dungeons/do IA's. Personally, I'm as sick of the quest hub grind as everyone else, and I'm sitting at level 37 without touching a single quest. All in all, Rift has given me a home for the first time since vanilla WOW/SWG/AC/etc

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I have been getting more out of console games than I ever got out of Rift. I have now probably put in more hours n Dragons Dogma than this title. If I am not mistaken, Rift bored me faster than any of the other games you took jabs at at the bottom or your comment OP. I am glad you are enjoying it and felt the need to tell the community, just don't get upset when others don't agree. Leveling through Rift was such a bore and I read that the expansion didn't really change anything for those that weren't max level.

I won't knock the quest hub since many here seem to share my opinion on that. But Rift, along with SWTOR, was one of the most linear leveling experiences of any game I have played and it may have been steering for the endgame crowd, I just couldn't stomach enough to make it that far. I can see it's appeal to some, but it's definately not worth a sub with all the other games I can spend my time in. Lately I have preferred catching up on SPRPG's that were put on hold rather than play the MMO's that are out there. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123
    Still the best MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW. I truely love this game, I just don't have the time to play it anymore =[

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    They've actually decentralized a majority of the quests in the new expansion.  You find quests by exploring the vast and beautiful world.  It's a great system to get players out into the open world and interacting with one another. 
  • LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by darthbuh
    Pay it then.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

RIFT is a fine MMORPG. The recent expansion is great material with the new souls and even your own personal housing dimensions. Trion has been a good company to its player base. I am almost tempted to go back and make it my MMO game to play. But the truth is, with the current buy to play market, it is increasingly hard for any game to merit a subscription fee against the available competition like TSW and GW2. As good as it can be, RIFT doesn’t bring anything special enough to the table to make it worth the extra monthly investment for my entertainment when i can pick up games like that with no monthly overhead.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

If it gos F2P i will play it, i already bought it once..even payed over 1 year in subscription, i'm done with subscriptions.

Guild Wars 2 is the only mmorpg worth your money at the moment.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

You meant 'my', not 'your'.   To be fair, so did the OP.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

I didn't mean "my", i meant "your". Learn grammar. "Your" doesn't have to be something personal.

If it gos F2P i will play it, i already bought it once..even payed over 1 year in subscription, i'm done with subscriptions.

But really, lets explore this.  Why are you done with subscriptions?

Is it because of some half-assed set of ideals (and lack of economic sense)?

Is it because you are a penny pincher?  You would rather watch some crappy free domain movie on hulu vs spend 1.50 at a red box for a newer movie?  Forget about actually going to see a movie in theaters...

If you want to say you like GW2 more than any sub game at the moment, thats fine (and I can completely understand that view).  But if there are games you enjoy more than GW2 and the only thing stopping you is a minor fee than you are just screwing yourself over.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Sorry but RIFT is not worth my money.

I didn't mean "my", i meant "your". Learn grammar. "Your" doesn't have to be something personal.

"Your" is personal to the person reading.  You could have said only MMORPG worth "one's" money perhaps if you didnt want to be personal.

But even so you would be projecting your personal values onto someone who isn't you.  You have no way of judging what money is worth to anyone but yourself and you would look less foolish if you didn't try.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Rift will be worth my money when SL goes on discount for 6.99€  or 9.99€ incl. 30 days.

If we look how soon it happened to their basic game after launch, i guess we don't have to wait for long.

Too bad, this game could be awesome if Trion would for once dare to bring in something new, instead of just forever copy+paste from all their dev's former games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by hobbitpimp

Hello everyone. I asked some questions over the past few weeks about various topics, including the future of mmo's and what are the best current games out there, etc etc.

So I took one posters advice and reinstalled rift(which I had not played since 2 months after launch). I must say with all enthusiasm and integrity that I am absolutely amaized by this game.

We talk about innovation and the little things that we wish mmo's would do and I feel rift does alot of these "little" things. Things like the insatnt action option which is almost an INSTANT q. And not only that but you can be in an instant action adventure while still being q'ed for a dungeon! BRILLIANT! Things like in the instant action it will adjust your level sometimes for the area or group you go with, but the xp and end rewards you earn are applied and appropriate for your true level! The game just makes leveling fun. Crafting is rich but can have a bit of a curve imo but still very much worth it. The classes are almost infinite and very liberal. Heal as a mage or tank as a cleric! Good stuff. And the graphics, while not the absolute best out there, are still better than 90% of most other mmo's on the current market. And a big plus for me is the stability of the game. Always content being added and new stuff to explore. If you are looking for a High Fantasy mmo and are bored with wow and let down by gw2 and disgusted with swtor, I HIGHLY RECCOIMEND RIFT. It is imo definately worth your 15$ a month!

if you like dungeons, raids and public quests

if youre a pvper there are much better games

if youre a crafter / trader there are much better games

if youre an explorer type there are better games

But really, lets explore this.  Why are you done with subscriptions?

Is it because of some half-assed set of ideals (and lack of economic sense)?

Is it because you are a penny pincher?  You would rather watch some crappy free domain movie on hulu vs spend 1.50 at a red box for a newer movie?  Forget about actually going to see a movie in theaters...

If you want to say you like GW2 more than any sub game at the moment, thats fine (and I can completely understand that view).  But if there are games you enjoy more than GW2 and the only thing stopping you is a minor fee than you are just screwing yourself over.

If i want to buy more content, i'll buy an expansion. If i want more character slots or bank space i'll buy that from cash shop. I don't want to spend dollars every month for something i'm sure i will get + with the gem store in GW2 people buy stuff all the time with real cash and you can see that ArenaNet makes more money than an subscription mmorpg. Except WoW.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

nope

planetside 2

eve

tsw

rift

wow

depending on what you like first and foremost

e.g. i like mass pvp first and foremost so planetside 2 is a better game for me than gw2

gw2 would be the better game for me if i enjoyed pve and pvp equally

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It wasn't worth my money, that's about all I have to say on that.  It's not a bad game and I adore Trion's dedication to their players (as well as the look of their upcoming Defiance game), I've just played the game it seeks to emulate far too long to enjoy an almost direct clone.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I played when it first launched, sure it is different now to an extent.

The Bad:

1.  Yes it is on super rails, and I found the world to be small, but it has had a lot of content upgrades since then, so it may be much better now.

2.  The world being small and limited made the PvP spots very easy for higher level people to block lower level peoples progression...restealthing seemed very quick, was a problem to find places to xp at lower levels without being blocked a lot of the time by someone you had no chance to kill/see.  In a bigger world with more options you make a person griefing work a little harder to block low level peoples xp.

3.  The harvesting/crafting system was bland, and not that great.

4.  Everything turned into a list of daily grind quests and dungeons that you could do....Didn't seem to fun to feel like you had a 'to do' list.

5.  Macros are no longer there, but it was silly when they were, hit 1 button and link every attack/skill/heal you would need on a class, cleric probably being the worst at abusing this easy 1 key system.  1 key for close combat, 1 for ranged.

The good:

1.  Trion seems like a very good company, that comes out with updates and fixes things quickly...Rift is what it is, and they are running with it, so if it is for you, then you should stay pretty happy.

2.  The classes and mixing of skills is pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.