Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XFire - As MMO population estimation tool

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Yamota
    So to try and get this thread back on track. Are there any MMOs beside Eve which has published their sub. data or which can be extrapolated by any other accurate means to calculate the XFire factor?

WoW's sub numbers are public and Blizzard loves to update the figures whenever they have a chance to.

If you have historical data (no idea how far back XFIRE can go), LoTRO, DDO also had historical data before they went F2P a few years back.

LoL has some numbers which was released recently.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

So how do I read these numbers  WoW link  Players and Hours per Day.

The hours per day part I'm guessing is a cumulative for all sessions, and then averaged over the period?

Players.  Would that be average number of players per day, or total number of players for the period?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by jpnz
    So to try and get this thread back on track. Are there any MMOs beside Eve which has published their sub. data or which can be extrapolated by any other accurate means to calculate the XFire factor?

WoW's sub numbers are public and Blizzard loves to update the figures whenever they have a chance to.

If you have historical data (no idea how far back XFIRE can go), LoTRO, DDO also had historical data before they went F2P a few years back.

Do you know the WoWs sub number in the West or where I can find them?

Originally posted by XAPGames

The hours per day part I'm guessing is a cumulative for all sessions, and then averaged over the period?

Players.  Would that be average number of players per day, or total number of players for the period?

Total number of unique players per period (day). 

And hours is the total nr of hours per period, across all players.

Okay, I got it.  Shows the last day as current data.  Then the chart is just a historical.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Loke666

Actually estimating sub numbers on X-fire is kinda like estimating who will win an election by asking your friends... And by how much based on it.

It is useful for measuring large trends in a game, if a certain game drops 75% in a few months that is bad (not counting the first 2 weeks after launch, we MMO players take time of for some games and always play more then).

Certain games players and certain countries use more Xfire than others. You need more teamspeak in some game than others and the Xfire users are often a rather small part of the actual players so you dont have enough data for sub numbers and should be careful with trends less than 25% or so.

I would say it have some use but only for large dips and ups in population.

No, it is not. I dont know anyone on XFire so the selection is not biased based on who is my friend and not.

Is XFire perfectly representetive? Certainly not. But, based on what I have seen, it is good enough to get a rough estimate. Maybe +/- 10%.

And that's the crux of it. It's all based on opinions of  Xfires validity. There is no reliable verifying data for your assertions. Maybe it's +/- 10% but then again it could be +/- 50% or +/- 150% . It likely isn't the same over a broad spectrum of games.  Yet time and again we're expected to swallow this as proof of one crackpot theory or another. It's unpalatable to say the least.

No, this is all in your heads. Atleast I have not said that we should swallow anything as proof. It seems like there are some people who cannot talk about a subject unless it is 100% verifiable and scientific and those people better stay well away from XFire discussions.

What XFire is, is the best tool we currently got. Is it good enough? Does it matter if its the only tool we got?

But I digress, why do you people have the need to come to these threads with people who are trying to use any tools available to get an estimate just to bash them? Don't think XFire is valid, then why post over and over again saying it is not.

Ok we got it the 10th time or the 100th time. Now move on already!

It's 0% verifiable. Less than 0% verifiable actually because it has been shown to be unreliable many times. There is no corellation. If the best tool you have for driving a nail is a rotten bananna would you even try to  use it? Your assertion that it is in any way a tool for estimating game populations is provably false why do you keep insisting it's useful?

You apparently didn't get it the 10th time or the 100th time or the 1000th time. Move on already!

no, I dont agree with your assessment that it is not useful, I think it is. So I am going to use it, regardless of what you think.

And the purpose of this thread was to use XFire as a population measurment tool. You dont find it accurate, great. Move on then. I dont need to move on because this thread is based on the assumption that XFire is accurate.

If you want to debate that then start a thread discussing it and I will happily stay away from it.

Okay, I got it.  Shows the last day as current data.  Then the chart is just a historical.

Yes but unfourtunately the historical data is only for hours played.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Do you know the WoWs sub number in the West or where I can find them?

Not right now but there was a way.

Their 2011  / 2010 financial figures had the total amount of $$$ by online products which did not include COD:Elite since it was after their reporting period. (or something like it).

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3064...&find=blizzard

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1121820-Blizzard-Q1-2012-financial-report-WoW-subs/page3

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

The purpose of this thread is to discuss XFire numbers and from those try to extrapolate MMO playerbase numbers from. The mods of this site said they would support such a thread and sticky it so here is hoping they will.

So lets start by qouting what is said on the site: http://www.mmodata.net/ about X-Fire:

"I just got the Q4 quarterly report from EA, and they report 1,3m subs, so I will add this. My latest estimate of 1,41m subs was pretty generous, however I always try to be conservative in my estimates, whether they are downward or upward. 

What it does show me is that the Xfire numbers are a good indication to base estimates off, purely based on Xfire I would have estimated 1,2m."

So with that in mind, let us start with some theory-crafting. This is the method I use to get estimated player base numbers. I take a game with a known playerbase and from those games calculate what I would call the X-Fire factor. As an example I will use Eve estimated playerbase of 360k subs (only counting the subs in the West as I believe X-Fire is not used much in the East).

Then I divide this sub. number with the X-Fire played per day which for Eve is currently at 690. 

360k/690 = 522 (rounded)

So 522 is the X-Fire factor which I will use to calculate the playerbase of other games. It would be better if I had another game to calculate the same for but currently I dont know any known sub. numbers of any other game. But this is just an example.

So lets use this number to estimate another MMOs playerbase, such as SW:TOR which has a players per day number of 1.471. Multiply this with the X-Fire factor to get an estimated playerbase of SW:TOR:

1.471*522 = 768k (rounded)

Same method for GW 2 gives a playerbase of 2 million.

Reasonable? I think so. Keep in mind that the released sub. numbers for SW:TOR was way back in Q1 2012. And GW 2 has sales of 2 million a month or so after release.

except we know this is complete crap.

EQ obvioulsy has a LOT more than 8874 people

EQ2 has a lot more than 17226

EQ2 is certainly over 100k and EQ1 is likely not thar far from 100k.

Rift likely has at least 3x the 62,000 your estimation would suggest.

Note that EQ1 has an extremely older player base, EQ2 far older than average. and Rift somewhat older than average.  Your method woould be off on both EQ and EQ2 by a factor of more than 10, and Rift by a factor of probably around 4.

These three games are proof enough that one figure wont estimate all games populations.

This thread title is "Xfire - As MMO population estimation tool" so you can expect its inability to perform that function to be a the topic of dicussion.

If i went on to a heavy metal music forum and started a thread "The Beatles as a Heavy Metal band" how do you think those replies would go?

Well if you dont believe it is a good population estimation tool then why dont you just move on? I find it funny that so many people seem to have this unsufferable needs to show that XFire is innaccurate.

Why?

As for the games you mentioned, I have seen nothing to suggest that those games have the sub. numbers you suggest they do. You got a source for that? If you are referring to MMOData.net, they havent tracked EQ 1 or 2 for over two years.

And your example with beatles is in no way comparable. Classification of music to population estimation by using a tool which shows how many people of said tool plays a particular game? That is the worst example I have ever read.

If you dont think EQ2 has over 100k, fine.  If you dont think they have over 50k, you have no business trying to judge MMORPG populations.  If you dont think Rift has well over 60k people, well...see the last sentence.   These games are proof to anyone capable of rational thinking that your little 'xfire factor' is worthless.  Just accept it an move in.

And as for the Beatles analogy, of course it fits.  Beatles are not a heavy metal band.  Xfire is not a MMO population tool.  Sure, you could argue Helter Skelter is a metal song but 99% of the catalog is certainly not heavy metal.  Just like 99% of the time xfire is useless is MMO population estimation.  That one % is the case where we know a sub number to start with and a corresponding # of xfire users.  That is almost never the case, and it only applies to that particular game, not to any other game.

You started a thread that suggested it would discuss xfires merits as a population indicator.  When anyone with half a brain comes in and tells you it isnt (except for rare circumstances), perhaps its time to admit you were wrong and move on.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Yamota So to try and get this thread back on track. Are there any MMOs beside Eve which has published their sub. data or which can be extrapolated by any other accurate means to calculate the XFire factor?

XFire has an XML interface that can be used by registered users to pull data beyond what is available on the public website. I know the hours played historical data exists, I'm not sure about the number of concurrent players.

** edit **
    For instance, without any sort of authentication, the following list of feeds in XML format is available:
    http://www.xfire.com/xml/

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Since the entire population of any game in question doesn't use xfire, you'd have to have a decent random sample size to get accurate statistical information from xfire data.

I'm sure xfire can provide a large enough sample size for some games, but the problem is that the sample is not random. (People have to willingly sign up and want to use xfire)

Thus xfire data can only be used anecdotally, and can not be considered accurate.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Yamota So to try and get this thread back on track. Are there any MMOs beside Eve which has published their sub. data or which can be extrapolated by any other accurate means to calculate the XFire factor?

XFire has an XML interface that can be used by registered users to pull data beyond what is available on the public website. I know the hours played historical data exists, I'm not sure about the number of concurrent players.

** edit **
    For instance, without any sort of authentication, the following list of feeds in XML format is available:
    http://www.xfire.com/xml/

Thanks, but unfourtunately if you try to access the more useful data it requires authentication. 

I asked on their forums for access, let's see what happens.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

You cant use Xfire as a pop tool simply because not every game offers it along with the download...in fact, I have been playing MMOs almsto 15 years and have only had Xfire come up once in all that time as a download option......So lets say GW2 comes with Xfire optional download...Well that puts GW2 at a huge advantage over say TSW which doesnt offer the optional download....WHile there will be some crossover and some TSW users will ahve Xfire, the chances are much higher that GW2 users will have Xfire and TSW users will not.....It simply skews the numbers.

I dont have any facts to back this up, but it also seems that Xfire is geared towards younger gamers who play with their friends (as it is used to see what your friends are playing) rather than older gamers who probably are not as inclined to care about what their friends are playing.

I got answer from the XFire mods about access to their XML interface. Unfourtunately it was a negative:

"We don't have that kind of API call set up. With that kind of data, I believe it's only something we'd want to share with partners and press releases."

So I guess the only way to create a historic database is doing it manually...

I got answer from the XFire mods about access to their XML interface. Unfourtunately it was a negative:

"We don't have that kind of API call set up. With that kind of data, I believe it's only something we'd want to share with partners and press releases."

Or semi-manually.  An old fashioned spider driven data scrape (grab the HTML, parse out the data, store) done discreetly could be interesting.  I'm guessing it would have to be done discreetly.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

no, I dont agree with your assessment that it is not useful, I think it is. So I am going to use it, regardless of what you think.

And the purpose of this thread was to use XFire as a population measurment tool. You dont find it accurate, great. Move on then. I dont need to move on because this thread is based on the assumption that XFire is accurate.

If you want to debate that then start a thread discussing it and I will happily stay away from it.

This is the thread for discussion of XFire. It is relatively civil so far, but telling posters to go create their own or to go post elsewhere isn't in that spirit. What we don't want are 500 XFire argument threads. You wanted one, and it's here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by Amana

This is the thread for discussion of XFire. It is relatively civil so far, but telling posters to go create their own or to go post elsewhere isn't in that spirit. What we don't want are 500 XFire argument threads. You wanted one, and it's here.

Well the reason I created the thread was not to create an endless discussion about its validity but rather to try and use the data to get some userbase data. How can you do that if it keep getting flooded by anti XFire people saying it is invalid a million times?

It is pointless and non-constructive. Like the post above me. Showing graphs and what not to try and prove that XFire is invalid where as no-one has said that XFire is proof of anything. They dont like XFire, for whatever reasons, and are trying to hijack threads trying to decipher something from the biggest player activity tool we got and saying over and over again that it is invalid.

What is the point of that? How is that constructive?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Well the reason I created the thread was not to create an endless discussion about its validity but rather to try and use the data to get some userbase data. How can you do that if it keep getting flooded by anti XFire people saying it is invalid a million times?

It is pointless and non-constructive.

Your question was to use xfire as a pop. Estimation tool, and I believe we have obtained more than enough info to answer the question: NO. I am no expert, but it seems site trustworthiness, type of population, and the fact no one likes it used against there game.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    you can't get any population data from it. it's invalid and innacurate.
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Your question was to use xfire as a pop. Estimation tool, and I believe we have obtained more than enough info to answer the question: NO. I am no expert, but it seems site trustworthiness, type of population, and the fact no one likes it used against there game.

No, there was no question. The aim was to use it as an estimation tool, not ask a bunch of amateur mathematicans if it is valid or not. It is like starting a thread and trying to get poll results for an election from the only tool available but when trying to do that get a bunch of people saying it is invalid over and over again without offering any alternatives.

That is the very definition of topic hijacking.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by KingJiggly Originally posted by Yamota Originally posted by Amana Originally posted by Yamota  
    no, I dont agree with your assessment that it is not useful, I think it is. So I am going to use it, regardless of what you think. And the purpose of this thread was to use XFire as a population measurment tool. You dont find it accurate, great. Move on then. I dont need to move on because this thread is based on the assumption that XFire is accurate. If you want to debate that then start a thread discussing it and I will happily stay away from it.
    Well the reason I created the thread was not to create an endless discussion about its validity but rather to try and use the data to get some userbase data. How can you do that if it keep getting flooded by anti XFire people saying it is invalid a million times? It is pointless and non-constructive.
    No, there was no question. The aim was to use it as an estimation tool, not ask a bunch of amateur mathematicans if it is valid or not. It is like starting a thread and trying to get poll results for an election from the only tool available but when trying to do that get a bunch of people saying it is invalid over and over again without offering any alternatives.

The Lords of MMORPG.com have spoken. When they said they would sticky a thread, it would be for the discussion of XFire. This includes discussion on the validity of XFire as a source of data. So pick one. Your thread becomes the sticky one, or it gets dropped in favor of another thread that gets to be the sticky one. Either way, all XFire discussion goes in that thread. They were pretty clear about this when they told everyone to quit it with the XFire stuff.

Anyway to use XFire as a population estimation tool, there needs to be a process to follow in order to do so. If there's a process, it means that the results are going to get checked. In other words, discussing the validity of the source data and the process is part of discussing XFire as a population estimation tool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Look. The only way your going to find an alternative is if the game companies tell you themselves. That is it any other way will be prodded to death by all comunities. 

Originally posted by lizardbones

no, I dont agree with your assessment that it is not useful, I think it is. So I am going to use it, regardless of what you think. And the purpose of this thread was to use XFire as a population measurment tool. You dont find it accurate, great. Move on then. I dont need to move on because this thread is based on the assumption that XFire is accurate. If you want to debate that then start a thread discussing it and I will happily stay away from it.
    Well the reason I created the thread was not to create an endless discussion about its validity but rather to try and use the data to get some userbase data. How can you do that if it keep getting flooded by anti XFire people saying it is invalid a million times? It is pointless and non-constructive.

The Lords of MMORPG.com have spoken. When they said they would sticky a thread, it would be for the discussion of XFire. This includes discussion on the validity of XFire as a source of data. So pick one. Your thread becomes the sticky one, or it gets dropped in favor of another thread that gets to be the sticky one. Either way, all XFire discussion goes in that thread. They were pretty clear about this when they told everyone to quit it with the XFire stuff.

Anyway to use XFire as a population estimation tool, there needs to be a process to follow in order to do so. If there's a process, it means that the results are going to get checked. In other words, discussing the validity of the source data and the process is part of discussing XFire as a population estimation tool.

How can you hold several discussions about the same thing in the same thread? I dont get it. Either you discuss the validity of the tool, which there is no end, or you discuss how you can use it to get some data.

Those are two distincively different sub-topics. It is like creating a thread about MMORPGs and saying that everything regarding MMORPGs can be in this single thread. It would be a mess!

Look. The only way your going to find an alternative is if the game companies tell you themselves. That is it any other way will be prodded to death by all comunities. 

So I guess scientific polling does not exist then right? Not saying XFire is a scientific polling but obviously that concept exist but no-one has the funds nor the will to actually create one so we are stuck with imperfect tools like XFire.

Yeah sometimes life is like that, you cant get the perfect tool so you use whatever you got. Once I needed to hammer a nail but I did not have a hammer so I used the blunt end of a heavy screw driver to hammer it down.

But I cant do that right? Because it isn't a hammer...

Pragmatism over idealism. That is life instead of fiction.

Or semi-manually.  An old fashioned spider driven data scrape (grab the HTML, parse out the data, store) done discreetly could be interesting.  I'm guessing it would have to be done discreetly.

Good idea! I use a Java automatic web test tool (Selenium) at my work and I could use the same to extract this data on a daily basis and store it in a MySQL database.