Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 is already on the decline.

124»

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by tixylix

People who are saying it isn't are in denial, the game is dead any other time than peak time, which SOE should never have let happened. This basically means you can only play during one time of day, which then puts more people off playing. 

Not only that, the population during peak time is so low, I couldn't find a single big battle last last, the game was dead. It used to be so packed in the first few weeks of launch, now you cannot find the battles it once had.

What server(s) are you playing on?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by ignore_me

People who are saying it isn't are in denial, the game is dead any other time than peak time, which SOE should never have let happened. This basically means you can only play during one time of day, which then puts more people off playing. 

Not only that, the population during peak time is so low, I couldn't find a single big battle last last, the game was dead. It used to be so packed in the first few weeks of launch, now you cannot find the battles it once had.

What server(s) are you playing on?

I would ask the same question, Miller has big fights most of the time but often not on all continents outside of prime time.

Usually during quiet times 2 continents are populated with base-flippers and the third is usually TR vs VS with NC making a nuisance of themselves.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm on Three servers, on AU and two EU, I joined the AU simply cause I have friends there.

I can't remember the name of one of the EU servers but it never has people, I mean not even during peak, it is always dead and as a result each faction tends to just take over a cont and not leave.

The AU server is mostly dead too, what I expect from there though, has some battles during their peak time but not much. Funny cause when I first joined it on the first few days it was massively packed, like all the servers were.

Miller is my main, it's the most populated EU server but it never goes above Medium any more. You can only play on the server between like 6 and 10pm and any other time and it is a ghost town. I remember logging on at about 1pm once and was capping bases with like 2 other people, just wasn't fun. There used to be like 100+ people standing at the spawn in the WG during peak but now there is more like 20 and I flew around on Satuday during peak and I couldn't find a big battle to show off the game to my mate. There was stuff going on but everyone is so spread out on each cont, again factions tend to ignore each other as defending sucks.

The first two weeks though each cont was packed all the time, just big battles all day it was amazing. Now it is like a ghost town..... none of my friends play any more, even on Giantbomb Jeff said it just isn't as good as Planetside was. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I pretty much stopped playing myself thanks to the air imbalance. I played PS1 for 5 years straight before taking a break, but with PS2 I stopped after a month.

Something's wrong.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by FreedomBlade

Wow that must have taken a long time to write that out!

PS2 is not all about massive fights, during the day the war changes to a more tactical small scale taking over outside emplacements ready for the massive influx in the evening.

The mechanics are still being worked on interms of giving meaning to the base captures.

But....

Take a long hard look at what PS2 is, it is frankly a massive achievement and something that if I was on the development team I would be very very proud. It was not rushed off beta, it was ready to launch as a developing project.

The scale of the game and FPS mechanics.

I mean go back a few years and see what people would have said, their jaws would be on the floor with the graphics and all that amount of players. Yes PS1 was around but the gfx were very old. This game moves the whole industry in the right direction.

People are so spoilt today - if your friends just logged out and never came back because they were spawn camped then they are probably not the sort of player that attracts PS2, Kitty Online is more up their ally.

Planetside 1 is still around, i think playing it might give you a bit of perspective as to why the issues with PS2 are such big issues, and not to the point of, a few tweeks of the combat etc, but we're talking major flaws with the whole game itself, from air vehicles, to the sheer lack of ground vehicles, and what they have done with them, the MBT of each is a point of note, the lightning tank was meant to be the single player tank, fast, manoeuverable, but offset by the fact it only needed a single player to operate. MBT's needed a driver, and at least 1 gunner, the driver btw, didnt have access to a weapon,  and instead concentrated on keeping range, and out of harms way, which wasnt easy, and certainly wouldnt give time to also try and hit things with the main gun. But that was only half of it, how about the marauder jeep, or the harasser, or the deliverer, raider, ams, sunderer, which also btw, was the only vehicle that had side turrets that gave 'cloaked' vision, not to mention 2 artillery guns and 2 machine guns, the deliverer had 2 machine guns and was also amphibious. Making sunderer's spawn points was not just strange, it is probably one of the daftest things they've come up with, the AMS was an unarmed vehicle, but it could cloak on being deployed, which made it of hugely tactical use, by providing, if only for a short period of time, a reasonably safe spawn point, and if the driver was an engineer, he could surround it with mines, and cloaked turrets, not to mention scanner jammers,  or/and scanners to pick up cloakers, having the engineer just a glorified ammo maker is another issue.. although, imo, an important one, as it was one of my favourite skill sets.

imo, they could have avoided most of the issues with PS2 just by upgrading the graphics of PS1 and leaving alone something that didnt need fixing.. except maybe BFR's, they really needed to get rid of those monstrosities image

This post right here pretty much sums it up..

I would also like to add that this is not Planetside 2 anymore.  This game is called VehicleSIde since that pretty much is all you see... They should just change the character avatar you make when you start and replace it with a tank or plane with facial features...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Yeah, they need to add a meta game, add some complexity with base attacking and defending, as well as make for some infantry only options debond the biodome.

The battles being epic and cool wears off a bit after a while, not sure anyone didnt see this comming.  Its still fun to putz around in...its just now...all the battles pretty much play out the same since theres no deeper mechanic to defense/attack.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Yeah, they need to add a meta game, add some complexity with base attacking and defending, as well as make for some infantry only options debond the biodome.

The battles being epic and cool wears off a bit after a while, not sure anyone didnt see this comming.  Its still fun to putz around in...its just now...all the battles pretty much play out the same since theres no deeper mechanic to defense/attack.

Base defences in PS were EPIC, I just don't get the same feeling in PS2. The bases are just so badly designed, overly complicated for no reason. In PS you had to fight your way to the control point, hack it and then defend it for a while, in PS2 this doesn't happen, everyone heads straight for the spawns and camps them...game over. At least in PS you could push through the spawn campers but PS2 introduces the K:D ratio, "oh noes, my KD!!" so once spawn is camped, everyone leaves.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

There's NO reason to stay and defend the base in PS2, most of us just leave and the ones that stay want to get kills.

There's a ton of things SOE needs to change and fix, AA vs air is one of them.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I logged in during the beta and was underwhelmed and bored within 30 mins. My friend had the same reaction. I can't believe this game was ever popular enough to actually be in a decline.

I just hope SOE doesn't screw up EQ Next. I'm getting a little worried because we're hearing the same exact hype from Smedley about EQ that we heard about PS2. Not a good sign.

There are a lot of complaints about the vehicles in PS2. PS2 has a combined arms element to it that does not lend itself to playing infantry unmounted at all times. Vehicles are spawned by the players for resources vs. a static timed spawn that is up for grabs like in small-map shooters. Because of this they tend to be on the field more and are countered in a rock-paper-scissors fashion.

Infantry does not beat rock, paper, and scissors.

If your side is without vehicles at a location you should respond with vehicles if possible. Infantry belching out of the spawn point will be largely ineffective vs. a concentration of armor and air with their own infantry as well.

K/D kids will be frustrated by this, but you have to be tolerant to dying in those situations.

If you need fairness in every situation and location you will have a hard time in PS2.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Thanks O.P. for a thoughful and sincere post. As a PS1 player, I really appreciate your candor and information. Kudos!! Not sure I"ll read the 7 pages of replies, though :).

/edit Funny that folks are debating SWTOR when the O.P.'s only point was to say both game companies launched their product too soon and failed to listen to the beta testers.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Thanks O.P. for a thoughful and sincere post. As a PS1 player, I really appreciate your candor and information. Kudos!! Not sure I"ll read the 7 pages of replies, though :).

/edit Funny that folks are debating SWTOR when the O.P.'s only point was to say both game companies launched their product too soon and failed to listen to the beta testers.

It's terrible that SWTOR even came into this thread at all.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Threatlevel0 Originally posted by joeballs Hmm, judging from that wall of text and the main complaint, it sounds like you need a job.
      Jobs.   Recommended by 9 out of 10 forum dwellers.     Also, many forum dwellers who recommended a Job also recommended getting Laid.      Brought to you by Life.   Paid for by Jobs.   We do them to get Laid.     
    A job is 9 hours of the day, 1 hour of which is made up of breaks and lunch. What do I do for the rest of the day like any other normal person? My Hobby......... which right now isn't gaming, it is going to forums and complaining there are no good MMOs any more. Been a great hobby for me since November 15th 2005.

rofl brilliant. that's my hobby too. Log in, check forums, conclude based on posts that all games still suck. But at least we have some funny posts to read.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Base defences in PS were EPIC, I just don't get the same feeling in PS2. The bases are just so badly designed, overly complicated for no reason. In PS you had to fight your way to the control point, hack it and then defend it for a while, in PS2 this doesn't happen, everyone heads straight for the spawns and camps them...game over. At least in PS you could push through the spawn campers but PS2 introduces the K:D ratio, "oh noes, my KD!!" so once spawn is camped, everyone leaves.

I often wonder if the current base designs would be a bit more infantry friendly if doors existed on Auraxis. image

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I agree that PS2 needs a meta game, or some sort of long term goal to achieve as a faction. Currently, it's too arcadey in terms of feeling of achievement.

I wish they had this sorted before release, as it might be too late - we all know how finnicky MMO players are, what with the jumping ship at any sign of trouble... Luckily, FPS players aren't like that at all, so it might still have a chance.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I have been playing all week and have been in many large battles lasting hours at a time.  I see no indication of a decline and frequently get killed by players with a BR under 10 so there must be new blood coming in.

Not saying the game is all that, just saying I dont see the decline and lack of battles you mention.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

K/D kids will be frustrated by this, but you have to be tolerant to dying in those situations.

The K/D kids are already flying liberators and telling everyone else to suck it up or learn to fight libs. You gain a massive dose of kills per death while in a lib.

Originally posted by Talonsin
    I have been playing all week and have been in many large battles lasting hours at a time.  I see no indication of a decline and frequently get killed by players with a BR under 10 so there must be new blood coming in.Not saying the game is all that, just saying I dont see the decline and lack of battles you mention. 
    Most of those low BR players are new accounts from banned players.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

The K/D kids are already flying liberators and telling everyone else to suck it up or learn to fight libs. You gain a massive dose of kills per death while in a lib.

Originally posted by Talonsin
    I have been playing all week and have been in many large battles lasting hours at a time.  I see no indication of a decline and frequently get killed by players with a BR under 10 so there must be new blood coming in.

Not saying the game is all that, just saying I dont see the decline and lack of battles you mention.

Most of those low BR players are new accounts from banned players.

uh ... ok

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Not gonna liberators are so damn op. I'm slightly curious as to what the actual balance design plan was with it's aoe capability that not only decimates infantry, but can deal decent damage to armored units. A Zephyr-loaded liberator with stock armor can easily achieve 10/1 to 15/1 KD. I mean you can just go check youtube, there are probably 100+ liberator zephyr  videos that have been uploaded by now. The good pilots. . .  well 150+ kill streaks are a bi-hourly achievement.