Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a Healthy Population?

2»

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I got the game off of Steam for Christmas. I have no idea about the overall game population. I logged into my character that I started during a free trial, and there were plenty of people around me in the starter area. It wasn't crowded, but there was always someone else at the quest person I was talking to or in the area that I was in. To me, that's 'healthy'.

I will say that I am enjoying the game more now than I did in beta or in the trial. Not having a subscription seems to take away the feeling that I need to rush through the content. This is good because the content isn't really the rushing kind. If my experience is any indicator of the general population playing, then I can see people sticking around longer than they normally would, keeping the game's population pretty healthy.

Why would you rush through a game because of the subscription cost? I get the impression some of you spend money on games when you really can't / shouldn't.

Think you hit on something there -- I've always scratched my head when people say they finish a game in 1 week, but it's that trying-to-get-it done-before-the-sub-runs-out mentality.  I suppose another good reason to go to a B2P model.  Interesting conversation -- do subs promote rushing?

It's a change in mindset because these games are short-term now.  Older MMO games were seen as a more long-term entertainment source because before everything turned into a rush to level cap, you had what was called horizontal gameplay that you could enjoy with your friends for a very long time.  Now people have come to expect these games to last 30-90 days at the most in many cases. 

Still I personally wouldn't rush through a game I was enjoying over a measley $15 sub fee though. I factor the cost in when I make a decision to buy a game, and then I pay the sub until I'm done with it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I got the game off of Steam for Christmas. I have no idea about the overall game population. I logged into my character that I started during a free trial, and there were plenty of people around me in the starter area. It wasn't crowded, but there was always someone else at the quest person I was talking to or in the area that I was in. To me, that's 'healthy'.

I will say that I am enjoying the game more now than I did in beta or in the trial. Not having a subscription seems to take away the feeling that I need to rush through the content. This is good because the content isn't really the rushing kind. If my experience is any indicator of the general population playing, then I can see people sticking around longer than they normally would, keeping the game's population pretty healthy.

Why would you rush through a game because of the subscription cost? I get the impression some of you spend money on games when you really can't / shouldn't.

Think you hit on something there -- I've always scratched my head when people say they finish a game in 1 week, but it's that trying-to-get-it done-before-the-sub-runs-out mentality.  I suppose another good reason to go to a B2P model.  Interesting conversation -- do subs promote rushing?

It's a change in mindset because these games are short-term now.  Older MMO games were seen as a more long-term entertainment source because before everything turned into a rush to level cap, you had what was called horizontal gameplay that you could enjoy with your friends for a very long time.  Now people have come to expect these games to last 30-90 days at the most in many cases. 

Still I personally wouldn't rush through a game I was enjoying over a measley $15 sub fee though. I factor the cost in when I make a decision to buy a game, and then I pay the sub until I'm done with it.

I personally wouldn't either, but even in these older games now there's the rush to cap that happens.  How many gamers  who simply don't have the disposable income needed for a single ongoing world?  Or are they trying to maintain 10 onlgong worlds?  Seems many who are trying to squeeze a month of play out of game, or are playing 10 games simulataneously and trying to get in on all of them.  For that style of gaming, B2P makes a lot of sense.  I completely agree on the horizontal gaming design, but I have a feeling in today's world, with many younger gamers without $$, or for those who are playing many, many games, it wouldn't make much difference.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

Since the game hasn't really changed though, you can also unfortunately expect the population to die off again within 30-90 days as people quickly wrap up the PvE leveling content, and then grind dungeons for gear they don't need.

Again, great game, but no real longevity due to heavy focus on themepark play.

I really doubt that. This is the magic of B2P model and just like GW2, TSW too will continue to hold  on to its population especially with new monthly updates and addition of Tokyo map in JAN / FEB.

I personally wouldn't either, but even in these older games now there's the rush to cap that happens.  How many gamers  who simply don't have the disposable income needed for a single ongoing world?  Or are they trying to maintain 10 onlgong worlds?  Seems many who are trying to squeeze a month of play out of game, or are playing 10 games simulataneously and trying to get in on all of them.  For that style of gaming, B2P makes a lot of sense.  I completely agree on the horizontal gaming design, but I have a feeling in today's world, with many younger gamers without $$, or for those who are playing many, many games, it wouldn't make much difference.

It's just strange for me.  What I am looking for is a game that I can "live" in for a couple years or more.  You know, a home away from home, something I can build in and be a part of for a long time.  Not a mess like Second Life, but something with a theme, gameplay, conflict, etc.  

If this game/world was designed correctly, I'd pay up to $50 / month for it without blinking.  It would have to be very good, but I'd let the money go for it if it was.  There was a time in SWG where I was paying $45/month so I could have three accounts and the freedom to do what I wanted.  Of course, that was when the game only had one character per account, but I didn't mind.  Look at what we pay for cable TV these days.  I *should* be able to get much more out of a proper MMO game than I do cable.  At least that's how these games used to feel to me.  Now they are just weak hand-holding experience where I feel like I'm in someone else's story rather than making my own.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by OldTimeGamer
    Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by Derros
    Originally posted by johnisme
    Originally posted by kulhat

I would'nt worry. There should be a flow of new people with the B2P.

And more should stay now that it does'nt cost extra to do so, and those wanting to pay for updates will come back too.

It's even cheap on Steam right now I think.

Dont worry-Kill zombies...

(why is this game in the Real-Life section on this site.. there's no zombies in RL... is there?......)

Cause it's real life characters killing zombies.

Remind me - how much healing does an assault rifle provide in real life?

Lots, but unfortunately there is a bug, one of the devs accidentially put a - sign in front of all the coefficents.

I would suggest that TSW is either Horror (without much reason to be scared) or SuperHero (without the costumes).

The monsters certainly follow the Horror genre but the characters have a Superhero "origin" and have their powers based on different focii.

Definately, I think the poster meant that it was a modern day setting

Call me contrary but I would probably call the TSW setting Cthulhu-Punk rather than modern day. The inhabitants seem rather well-adapted to events, a church comes with pre-existing wards and scrap metal merchants tinker with giant robots.

A true modern-day setting would be more "28 Days Later" rather than "Neverwhere".

I think of each of the pockets we're exploring as closed off areas where stuff is going on (the supernatural has broken through), and we're being sent in to investigate.  Of course the NYC raid would be something *really* breaking through, but the idea is that the secrets are trying to be contained (somewhat unsuccessfully).  I guess if the original idea was to have us be much more underground, you'd need to somehow segregate things visually from the main world.  I play it thinking that the average person is mayber hearing some strange stories, but isn't completely in the know.  

I do believe they will be playing up the faction fighting in upcoming releases -- they are talking open world dynamic PvP events.

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

Call me contrary but I would probably call the TSW setting Cthulhu-Punk rather than modern day. The inhabitants seem rather well-adapted to events, a church comes with pre-existing wards and scrap metal merchants tinker with giant robots.

A true modern-day setting would be more "28 Days Later" rather than "Neverwhere".

That's because Funcom wasn't really able to create their vision properly.  Our characters were originally supposed to be running around in secret, fighting evil (and each other), while the rest of the world moves on completely oblivious (or as oblivious as possible).  That's why the name of the game is The Secret World.   However, they clearly haven't done a good job of making the game feel that way.  You can see they tried for an 'underground' feel in some ways, but it falls short.

For example, Kingsmouth was supposed to just be an isolated incident that the rest of the world didn't know about because the town was cut off from the outside world. 

Absolutely.  Furthermore there are three "real-world" locations in which I have seen inhabitants fail to run screaming from the various monsters that can found browsing, selling or just wandering about.

If the player characters didn't heal people via the soothing power of assault rifles, weren't able to personally withstand attacks from 30 foot monstrosties and didn't live in a world which seems exceptionally well-adjusted to events then, yes, it might be fair to say that TSW is modern day.

TSW is superheroes fighting horrors in a world only moderately distressed what is happening around them.

That's because Funcom wasn't really able to create their vision properly.  Our characters were originally supposed to be running around in secret, fighting evil (and each other), while the rest of the world moves on completely oblivious (or as oblivious as possible).  That's why the name of the game is The Secret World.   However, they clearly haven't done a good job of making the game feel that way.  You can see they tried for an 'underground' feel in some ways, but it falls short.

For example, Kingsmouth was supposed to just be an isolated incident that the rest of the world didn't know about because the town was cut off from the outside world. 

Absolutely.  Furthermore there are three "real-world" locations in which I have seen inhabitants fail to run screaming from the various monsters that can found browsing, selling or just wandering about.

If the player characters didn't heal people via the soothing power of assault rifles, weren't able to personally withstand attacks from 30 foot monstrosties and didn't live in a world which seems exceptionally well-adjusted to events then, yes, it might be fair to say that TSW is modern day.

TSW is superheroes fighting horrors in a world only moderately distressed what is happening around them.

I don't agree with your vision of it myself, but it is open to interpretation the way the game plays out now.  Whatever works for each person is fine though, especially in a game that is essentially solo play.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

lol..i am glad your version of modern day settings has not been implemented because too much realism is also a bad thing. There is no denying that our characters have supernatural powers but doesn't change the fact that it happens in modern day world. 

The kind of realism you want would be such a dull place to play in.

Originally posted by Zalmon

lol..i am glad your version of modern day settings has not been implemented because too much realism is also a bad thing. There is no denying that our characters have supernatural powers but doesn't change the fact that it happens in modern day world. 

The kind of realism you want would be such a dull place to play in.

It depends whether you enjoyed "Attack the Block" more than "Men in Black", of course. The former drawns is almost as close to cinéma vérité that a film about aliens can manage ...

I was bringing this up in respect to the Real Life genre for TSW within the MMORPG game list.

I would argue that TSW is closer to CO (Super-Hero) or any Fantasy genre MMO (where your character has enough hit points to survive free-fall) instead of something like Second World, Need for Speed World or Habbo Hotel.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

You're talking about two different things. TSW takes place in a modern day setting, but it's listed as "Genre: Real Life" on this site and it's definitely not real life. It's fantasy/horror/superhero fiction or whatever you want to call it.

In fiction, the time period a story takes place in doesn't have to be historically accurate to be used a name tag. Medieval settings are a good example of this. A large part of them is pure BS historical accuracy wise, but they're still medieval settings.

Originally posted by Scalpless

You're talking about two different things. TSW takes place in a modern day setting, but it's listed as "Genre: Real Life" on this site and it's definitely not real life. It's fantasy/horror/superhero fiction or whatever you want to call it.

In fiction, the time period a story takes place in doesn't have to be historically accurate to be used a name tag. Medieval settings are a good example of this. A large part of them is pure BS historical accuracy wise, but they're still medieval settings.

My movie example was illustrative - a way to cut the explanation down to something simple.

For the "Genre: Real Life" does not match neither the game play, the setting nor the other MMOs in the same genre.

The only thing that really seperates TSW from "Genre: Super-Hero" is the lack of costumes.  It is very close to the kind of MMO someone would create if high-powered agents of, say, the Hellfire Club was fighting the Hand and Hydra.

• patrynspatryns Member UncommonPosts: 81

Since the game hasn't really changed though, you can also unfortunately expect the population to die off again within 30-90 days as people quickly wrap up the PvE leveling content, and then grind dungeons for gear they don't need.

I really doubt that. This is the magic of B2P model and just like GW2, TSW too will continue to hold  on to its population especially with new monthly updates and addition of Tokyo map in JAN / FEB.

I have the lifetime sub and I disagree with your Statement.  Even casual players can finish the quest in a short time frame in each zone.  Then lets just stand in agartha waiting for  Nightmare groups but you better have gear or no go!  

Do not go into this game for PVP, it is a joke.  I will give some pointers.  At this time if you want to play a templar join Battleground A cluster the roleplaying servers and if you want to play illuminati join Battleground C cluster, then just que up for Fusang Project and just farm for PVP gear by standing in the zones. 

I do like the game for the puzzles, seems less of those of late. 

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64448

Originally posted by patryns

I have the lifetime sub and I disagree with your Statement.  Even casual players can finish the quest in a short time frame in each zone.  Then lets just stand in agartha waiting for  Nightmare groups but you better have gear or no go!  

Do not go into this game for PVP, it is a joke.  I will give some pointers.  At this time if you want to play a templar join Battleground A cluster the roleplaying servers and if you want to play illuminati join Battleground C cluster, then just que up for Fusang Project and just farm for PVP gear by standing in the zones. 

I do like the game for the puzzles, seems less of those of late. 

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=64448

Standing around in Agartha waiting for leets to carry you is foolish.  Lots of groups forming for those just getting into Nightmares:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63415

For people who actually want to PvP, there's that too.  If you want to get /afk banned, just follow Zalmon's stellar advice; obviously, he was playing before 1.5 hit.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63094