Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[General Article] The War Z: Review Forthcoming

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,638MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Every game deserves a chance at an 'official' review, The War Z included. Even with its troubles of late, it's still a released game. We have a few thoughts to share about the upcoming review and want to get some of your input as well. Read on before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

This is a tricky situation.  I firmly believe that the ideas for The War Z put forth by Hammerpoint (the features they aspire to on their official website) are interesting and solid on paper.  But the fact of the matter is that the game is simply nowhere near what it presents itself as being in that feature list.  Normally, in alpha/beta stages, we can turn a blind eye towards some of a game’s faults because we know it’s in the testing phase and all we are seeing is a preview of things to come.  In The War Z’ case, the preview of things to come, when all that’s happened is considered, is not a promising harbinger of any sort.  And what’s more than that? Hammerpoint is considering their game now released in its “foundation” state.  The company that makes the zombie shooter MMO itself claims the game is “launched” but not final. What does that mean? Well, for us her at MMORPG.com, it means we’re obligated to put it through its paces and review the thing. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's The War Z: Review Forthcoming.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«1

Comments

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

    No mention of the trademark suspension, no mention of the fact your forum graphic is copyright infringed and stolen from the TV show Walking Dead, no mention of the fraud perpetrated on Steam.

     

    Way to look out for your readers.

     

     

  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,371MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    The review will cover all that Terranah. That's kind of the point. ;) And we did news each and every one of those things in editorials and general news posts.

  • RyowulfRyowulf Greensburg, PAPosts: 668Member Uncommon
    This isn't the actual review. They have a post about Steam, etc all ready.  Its a review of the game, not Hammerpoint.
  • ZalmonZalmon Bloomington, INPosts: 319Member
    Yeah why to mention all that in detail? it is review of the game and not about screw ups of devs. WAR Z should get its score on basis of its gameplay, feature etc and not according to bad decision of the company.
  • cowocowo jakartaPosts: 2Member
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    This isn't the actual review. They have a post about Steam, etc all ready.  Its a review of the game, not Hammerpoint.

    +1 sir, good game with shity dev and bad marketing

  • TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,474Member Uncommon
    I hope your review covers statements made by the developer that proved to be false, such as the game being unhackable and later after several statements indicating the game HAD some form of hack prevention, mentioning later that it did NOT.
  • ThardmannThardmann KøbenhavnPosts: 48Member

    Anyone have a guest pass to spare?

    Wanna see what all the fus is about! :D

    Danish SWTOR community!
    www.SWTOR.dk

  • FurankuFuranku Boston, MAPosts: 8Member
    I still think it is funny how people are all cranky about it. Regardless of the imperfections they have in their so called "Founders Release" Aka. Alpha v.2.0.9 The game has a great chance to change MMO-FPS-Horror-Survival. I think it is shitty that they attempted to sell the game on steam not even nearly completed, shit The Community Function is rough, the option to use the rented servers is not up yet either.  As a LGD (Lead Game Desiner) I believe that the leadership of the development needs to bring in a businessmen to explain how to make a profitable game instead of their invsioned perfect gamed. (which usually never sells)    However, I am not going to go too indepth. -_- I'm just laz. (ignore the wall of text)
  • erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon

    So what happens if The War Z and other sites don't follow the court ordered cease and desist letter. Looks like nobody is taking it seriously. I wonder what paramount's next step will be.

  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Furanku
    I still think it is funny how people are all cranky about it. Regardless of the imperfections they have in their so called "Founders Release" Aka. Alpha v.2.0.9 The game has a great chance to change MMO-FPS-Horror-Survival. I think it is shitty that they attempted to sell the game on steam not even nearly completed, shit The Community Function is rough, the option to use the rented servers is not up yet either.  As a LGD (Lead Game Desiner) I believe that the leadership of the development needs to bring in a businessmen to explain how to make a profitable game instead of their invsioned perfect gamed. (which usually never sells)    However, I am not going to go too indepth. -_- I'm just laz. (ignore the wall of text)

    It has a great chance to do.. nothing. By summer mid year they'll have moved on to the next project and abandoned War Z (like they've done with every previous project), they've already done the financial moves for it in preparation.

    The only profitability from this game was the genius move of getting Steam to sell it to begin with, under false pretenses. Without that it would have been nothing, they were lucky and the consumers unlucky they got that far.

  • xBarachielxxBarachielx hfgjjhPosts: 15Member

    All forms of promotion for this game should be seen as immoral at this point.

    There's no defending this gigantic scam.

  • Devastator_xDevastator_x VladimirPosts: 3Member

    Bill, you are calling their ideas solid. Do you want them to be implemented into the game? I definitely do. Yes, they are somewhat misleading people calling the game launched and released but it's better to release the working core of the game and build on it further, listening to players' ideas and feedback than to keep working for three-five years, run a six month beta and still release some crap of the game. Is the War Z a paid beta? Of course it is! But still some players want to pay for it and help to implement their ideas to life. Because then it will be a unique game, the one we are excited to play after years of Everquests, WoWs, Guild Wars, Rifts and dozens more that made me tired and bored after 7 years of MMORPG gaming to the point that I consider Guild Wars 2 as a boring copycat of several other games, ideas and characters from books, movies and even some board games. But it's not the game, It's probably me.


    Do not let the rage and disappointment take over you. Don't publish the review or don't put a score. That'll give the game some chance for the future.


    P.S. 15$? really? consider it a donation, like on kickstart.

  • BattlerockBattlerock Youngstown, OHPosts: 1,393Member
    Holy Moly..... Cut him some slack. I can see that they have some solid ideas too. I think everyone still has thier hate goggles on because of all the launch issues and the obvious rush to beat DayZ. Also I doubt anyone at mmorpg really wanted to review this anyhow, so he was kind of stuck with it.
  • RaventreeRaventree Yourtown, MNPosts: 456Member
    These guys should have called it a paid beta or something since they were clearly not finished.  They also seriously need some better judgement regarding some of their comments toward their players.  I am all for the idea of the game, but the devs come off as being opportunistic scam artists, which is not doing them any favors if they want to keep developing games.

    Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

  • PoachinatorPoachinator Mystic, CTPosts: 80Member
    I threw down $15 on the game, for what its worth I think its fun. The only concern I have is the hackers. The game is not fun when you get killed by a hacker. Why not address this and start banning some folks? The rest of the game can come as it needs to as far as I am concerned. Its not like we have to Sub to it, and its pretty damn cheap!
  • FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member

    so much hate over 13$ ?

     

    MMO players today, hopelessly broke and impatient, always waiting for the next hate train?

    that would be an interesting column

    Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

    Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
    .


    .
    The Return of ELITE !
    image

  • DioKlahsKDioKlahsK ZpPosts: 1Member

    Developers a lot of things I hide. To make game for short terms, to deceive users and quickly to sell the not a ready-made product is a small part not logical actions.

    - Recently, at game forums - messages of people who bought game simply are removed. Developers in every possible way try to hide similar indignations.

    On mine, them will close soon, or will suggest to be closed...

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon

    We haven't had a good scandal of an MMORPG going down in flames in such a creative and outlandish fashion since Stargate Worlds.  So at least Hammerpoint managed to deliver that.

    But like most such scandals, it's funnier if it happens to someone else, and not if you were actually going to play it.

  • moguy2moguy2 Saint Peters, MOPosts: 337Member
    Originally posted by Terranah

    No mention of the trademark suspension, no mention of the fact your forum graphic is copyright infringed and stolen from the TV show Walking Dead, no mention of the fraud perpetrated on Steam.

     

    Way to look out for your readers.

     

     

    There is always that one person that has to go negative before positive and you mam get it today!! God made Debbie downers for a reason, was this it?

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

    This site tries very hard to be positive and upbeat about games and normally I would credit you for it. However, the War Z doesn't deserve any leniency if one is honest. It's an ugly mess from banning innocent players, to threatening their CC accounts over refund requests, to stealing IP from other properties, to the game play itself.  You might be better off brushing it under the rug and cutting ties because this is not a "positive" story in the works.

     

    There are several people with the ability to present solid ideas on paper but once put to the test and asked to implement them fail miserably. The promised features are not there and will not be there in the future because they can’t market the game. I am reminded of a Christmas tree sapling I bought a few years ago. It was sold and labeled as a blue spruce but the first time it was watered the dye washed off...

     

    A scam is a scam.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,645Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    We haven't had a good scandal of an MMORPG going down in flames in such a creative and outlandish fashion since Stargate Worlds.  So at least Hammerpoint managed to deliver that.

    But like most such scandals, it's funnier if it happens to someone else, and not if you were actually going to play it.

     

    Say what you wanna about modern games, but the drama that surrounds them never stops giving :)

  • EmeraldFox01EmeraldFox01 PortadownPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    This isn't the actual review. They have a post about Steam, etc all ready.  Its a review of the game, not Hammerpoint.

    Unfortunatly what hammer point and its main spokesman/producer are doing is reflecting on the game.  If your gonna review on an mmo you have to pay for you should include customer satisfaction rateing as well as a customer service rateing which im sorry to say isnt that great for this game.  From no refunds should you buy from the offical site to the develepor calling spawn campers f##s to the point of people who speak out against it in the forums getting perma banned to even getting a copyright infringement about the name being so similar do world war z.

    Yes I do agree with a lot of potential and with the right guidance and a name change as well as solveing the other issues mentiond before hand it can go to really high places.  They just need to rename it wor on there customer care staff and forum staff and for the love of all things godly get rid of that dam producer that ruining everything with his mouth!!!

     

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

    Is he really ruining it though ? I would of never heard of the game if it wasn't for him. What are the odds there would be so many people scrambling to do an " offical " review on the game if it wasn't such a hot topic ?  Is this review about the game or about getting people who are already foaming at the mouth about all this, in here to comment on it ;)

    Would any of us be talking about this game at all if it wasn't for him ? How many people who have said they wont buy the game now! would even know about it anyway. How many people are going to try the game just to see what all the noise is about ?

    He may end up being a great publicity stunt.

     

  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Devastator_x

    Bill, you are calling their ideas solid. Do you want them to be implemented into the game? I definitely do. Yes, they are somewhat misleading people calling the game launched and released but it's better to release the working core of the game and build on it further, listening to players' ideas and feedback than to keep working for three-five years, run a six month beta and still release some crap of the game. Is the War Z a paid beta? Of course it is! But still some players want to pay for it and help to implement their ideas to life. Because then it will be a unique game, the one we are excited to play after years of Everquests, WoWs, Guild Wars, Rifts and dozens more that made me tired and bored after 7 years of MMORPG gaming to the point that I consider Guild Wars 2 as a boring copycat of several other games, ideas and characters from books, movies and even some board games. But it's not the game, It's probably me.


    Do not let the rage and disappointment take over you. Don't publish the review or don't put a score. That'll give the game some chance for the future.


    P.S. 15$? really? consider it a donation, like on kickstart.

    You don't seem to get their intentions.  It was to make money without spending a lot of time making a good product.  They have no intention of ever improving this game much at all.   Do you always donate to all lost causes?  I can think of far better places to spend your money.

  • ITPalgITPalg Why, CAPosts: 256Member
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Yeah why to mention all that in detail? it is review of the game and not about screw ups of devs. WAR Z should get its score on basis of its gameplay, feature etc and not according to bad decision of the company.

     

    People need to remember that staff sitting at computers writing lines of code or creating 3D models and artwork are not the same that create marketing strategies, website print, or Steam liasons.

    insert appropriate forum signature here for the terrible signature functions that can't be figured out.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.