Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do EA games sell any more?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Seriously do they expect me to buy their games on Origin for them crazy high prices? I mean I saw Sim City for £65 so you get the added content that you'd want and cause you're locked into the online service you cannot download them elsewhere..... why would I do that when I could just torrent the game and avoid all that bother and stupid pricing?

I don't want to be locked into this sub par service, I just wanna buy the games on Steam and not have to run other stupid service software. I don't like this bloatware crap on my PC and until I don't have to deal with any of that I wont be buying their games any more.

Who uses Origin? I don't know any one who has it which just proves to me no one buys EA's game any more. They probably don't know they exist as they ain't on Steam, like Microsofts games... where can you even buy The Movies or Gears for PC? You'd think they would put them on Steam and make some money but no....

I just don't get EA any more or Ubisoft or Microsoft to be fair, Uplay? No thanx, I'll torrent the game thanx. I tried it with Assassin's Creed 2 always online crap and it kept disconnecting me due to server issues or I couldn't play. Why would I buy into that when I could just have a better experience for free? You know why I buy games on Steam? Because it is a good service I want, if I don't get a good service, I just wont buy it when I can get a better experience for free.

Like Crysis 3 for £54 or £40....... no thanx EA, I'll pay £30, not console prices on the PC, I don't want your Origin charge.

Seriously I don't know a single person who has bought an EA game this year, I hope that useless twat John Riccitiello gets voted out at some point.

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

This year's FIFA and Madden were among the best selling ever. Those two games are what EA is built on.

I bought and played Mass Effect 3 this year. The ending was meh, but multiplayer was surprisingly fun. Mass Effect 3 sold about 4.5 - 5 million copies btw. This is small change compared to EA's sports titles.   

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

DA:O was the last good game i bought from them and it was the last good Bioware game.
    I allways had only a few EA games and SWTOR was the last i bought.
    Do not see me buying an EA game

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by catlana

This year's FIFA and Madden were among the best selling ever. Those two games are what EA is built on.

I bought and played Mass Effect 3 this year. The ending was meh, but multiplayer was surprisingly fun. Mass Effect 3 sold about 4.5 - 5 million copies btw. This is small change compared to EA's sports titles.   

Developers like From Software, CDProjekt & Eidos Montreal have to make masterpieces just to stay aflot

Meanwhile EA rehashes the same 1999 sports games with a roster update and sells millions.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

For their MMO's, I'm really not very interested any longer.  Other companies just do them much better, and EA is known for buying up awesome companies and driving them into the ground.

For non-MMO's, I was sort of interested in the new Sim City, regardless of how they got the license it did look rather fun.

Then I learned that you must stay connected in order to play (ie no offline play), and I became less interested.

Source: (http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Maxis-Defend-Always-DRM-SimCity-50709.html)

Connectivity is an issue (think D3), and then there is EA shutting the game down eventually, making it playable nevermore.  Servers down for whatever reason?  can't play.  Internet problems this week?  can't play.  Account stolen / hijacked?  can't play.

Single player games should stay offline, and if the multiplayer portion is good enough, then people will *want* to log on.  I envision mandatory connections as a way to also keep a cash shop in everyones face.  Hmm, no thanks.

I love the authors last words though, very amusing:

Anyway, I'm sure SimCity will sell well enough and there will be plenty of shills to convince the gullible masses that turning control of your play experience over to a big corporation is “the way of the future” and everyone should be doing it.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Fundamentally a new Sim City would get my interest - but that Onlinestuff is ridiculous.
    I simnply went to GoG.com and bought "Sim City 2000" for 3$.
    http://www.gog.com/

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Crynswind
    Originally posted by catlana

Developers like From Software, CDProjekt & Eidos Montreal have to make masterpieces just to stay aflot

Meanwhile EA rehashes the same 1999 sports games with a roster update and sells millions.

Eidos Montreal is owned by Square Enix, one of the largest publishers in gaming. I like CDProject and Eidos Montreal but I would still play Mass Effect 3 over any game they made so far.

• fendrienfendrien Member Posts: 1
    Best EA game I have played in the last few years was the Simpsons on my iphone...that's pretty sad, lol.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    EA games sell like hotcakes, primarily their sports titles.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    EA games sell like hotcakes, primarily their sports titles.

Yup. Their sports titles make so much more than any other games for them that the company can still be doing massive profits even if all other parts of their games departments were to tank suddenly. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

FIFA and Madden are enough for this company to be able to invest a crapload of money into something like TORtanic. So they sell a LOT of copies of those same rehashed titles for obscure reasons. I guess the people playing them think they're worth the money and that's what matters. Other than that there's really not all that much to see.

imageimage