Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a Healthy Population?

Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
I am toying with the idea of buying this game since it went B2P. My main concern is the population. Does TSW have a healthy population? or atleast a decent one? Would it be difficult for me to find players for a specifc lair or mission? 

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
---

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Yep.  The game is literally hopping since it went b2p and plenty of ways to group up.  Cabals are a good way, but general chat and lfg always looking for players.  Newcomers very welcome.
  • kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

I would'nt worry. There should be a flow of new people with the B2P.

And more should stay now that it does'nt cost extra to do so, and those wanting to pay for updates will come back too.

It's even cheap on Steam right now I think.

Dont worry-Kill zombies...

(why is this game in the Real-Life section on this site.. there's no zombies in RL... is there?......)

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    That is good news. I jsust went ahead and purchased it off steam. A quick quesiton. I heard that you don't earn skills and that all of them are available to you from the start of the game, with that being said is there a trinity aspect to the game when it comes to lairs and such?

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by kulhat

And more should stay now that it does'nt cost extra to do so, and those wanting to pay for updates will come back too.

(why is this game in the Real-Life section on this site.. there's no zombies in RL... is there?......)

Cause it's real life characters killing zombies.

Originally posted by Reion1
    That is good news. I jsust went ahead and purchased it off steam. A quick quesiton. I heard that you don't earn skills and that all of them are available to you from the start of the game, with that being said is there a trinity aspect to the game when it comes to lairs and such?

Basically every character has access to every ability in the game.  With the abilities you purchase, you can create "decks" that can have a particular weapon focus (you have 2 weapons), and a particular theme (tank, dps, healing and everythng in-between).  You'll eventually have the entire ability wheel, and will have multiple decks.  You'll actually need multiple decks as you progress because there is no one build that will work against all monsters and situations.  The trinity does exist in dungeons, but you can swap between decks and play any role as needed.  Here's a good primer to decks:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

• GolbezaGolbeza Member Posts: 62
    I've seen plenty of people walking around and talking in the chat on Arcadia. Also Agatha was crowded last time I was there, so yeah it's pretty healthy I would say. :D
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Just bought the game lots of people in  Kingsmouth (first zone for newbies), now people do not talk much but that will improve hopefully.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Knytta

Just bought the game lots of people in  Kingsmouth (first zone for newbies), now people do not talk much but that will improve hopefully.

I noticed if I (or someone else did ) finally threw out a "hello" even in general chat in Kingsmouth it would get the ball rolling.

I think lots of returning/new players when they see the silence in chat initially think no one is "supposed" to talk any more and go along with it , but once someone breaks the ice it seems to get chatty quickly.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

If im not mistaken.  The "servers" are like world shards. Chat is one amongst all servers.  You can group with anyone from any server just the party leader will port you to his "server"

So there isnt a need to worry about a dead server, its basically one big server...unless they changed it.

Was really a fantastic themepark, done in a manner that didnt feel like a clone.

I just wish i was able to physically stay in a themepark for more than a short stint.

That voice in my head that suggests full loot pvp and sandbox get louder and louder with every week i spend in a themepark untill i must state its hunger.

well i guess now that its b2p and ive bought it i can hop in and out as i please...so thats nice i guess.  never thought a game that was as quality as this would ever go this route.

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by johnisme

Remind me - how much healing does an assault rifle provide in real life?

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

Lots, but unfortunately there is a bug, one of the devs accidentially put a - sign in front of all the coefficents.

Originally posted by Derros

Lots, but unfortunately there is a bug, one of the devs accidentially put a - sign in front of all the coefficents.

I would suggest that TSW is either Horror (without much reason to be scared) or SuperHero (without the costumes).

The monsters certainly follow the Horror genre but the characters have a Superhero "origin" and have their powers based on different focii.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I would suggest that TSW is either Horror (without much reason to be scared) or SuperHero (without the costumes).

The monsters certainly follow the Horror genre but the characters have a Superhero "origin" and have their powers based on different focii.

Definately, I think the poster meant that it was a modern day setting

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Since the game hasn't really changed though, you can also unfortunately expect the population to die off again within 30-90 days as people quickly wrap up the PvE leveling content, and then grind dungeons for gear they don't need.

Again, great game, but no real longevity due to heavy focus on themepark play.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I got the game off of Steam for Christmas. I have no idea about the overall game population. I logged into my character that I started during a free trial, and there were plenty of people around me in the starter area. It wasn't crowded, but there was always someone else at the quest person I was talking to or in the area that I was in. To me, that's 'healthy'.

I will say that I am enjoying the game more now than I did in beta or in the trial. Not having a subscription seems to take away the feeling that I need to rush through the content. This is good because the content isn't really the rushing kind. If my experience is any indicator of the general population playing, then I can see people sticking around longer than they normally would, keeping the game's population pretty healthy.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

duh your in teh first person perspective..you cant see you leeech numbers roll off your head as you fire.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

no not really. people have maintained throughout the whole run that the population is bustling and they see people everywhere all the time. that hasn't been true in a long time, 6 months out and petty stuff like this is till being fibbed about. it's decent and it's not too bad for the amount of servers but it's not healthy just yet.

when it is Funcom will make some announcements.

I bought Saints row the third with all its packs for like 8 bucks on steam...I feel no rush to play TSW and can go play another game happily and still come back.  Im glad for Funcom's decision..hopefully they are able to captialize on it and make some (more?) profit.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I got the game off of Steam for Christmas. I have no idea about the overall game population. I logged into my character that I started during a free trial, and there were plenty of people around me in the starter area. It wasn't crowded, but there was always someone else at the quest person I was talking to or in the area that I was in. To me, that's 'healthy'.

I will say that I am enjoying the game more now than I did in beta or in the trial. Not having a subscription seems to take away the feeling that I need to rush through the content. This is good because the content isn't really the rushing kind. If my experience is any indicator of the general population playing, then I can see people sticking around longer than they normally would, keeping the game's population pretty healthy.

Why would you rush through a game because of the subscription cost? I get the impression some of you spend money on games when you really can't / shouldn't.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Why would you rush through a game because of the subscription cost? I get the impression some of you spend money on games when you really can't / shouldn't.

I dont know about Lizardbones, but for me, If I am subscribed to a game..I feel I should be only playing that game to "get my money's worth" out of it.  The B2P alleviated that, atleast for me.  I can go do other games while Im not "paying for nothing".

And yes..I spend waaaaayy to  much money on gaming.  My ADD wall of half finished games ( Metaphor..not really a wall) is probably large enough that I honestly dont think I could finish them in the remaining years I have left...and it gets bigger by the week.

Originally posted by apocoluster

I dont know about Lizardbones, but for me, If I am subscribed to a game..I feel I should be only playing that game to "get my money's worth" out of it.  The B2P alleviated that, atleast for me.  I can go do other games while Im not "paying for nothing".

And yes..I spend waaaaayy to  much money on gaming.  My ADD wall of half finished games ( Metaphor..not really a wall) is probably large enough that I honestly dont think I could finish them in the remaining years I have left...and it gets bigger by the week.

That's a very strange way to approach an MMO game, or any other type of entertainment, if you ask me.  That would be like me arbitrarily feeling like I need to watch 8 hours per day of Netflix just because I make a monthly payment to them for my sub. 

I think this is also a product of these new crappy, themepark games though.  The difference between today and many of the older MMOs is that you were more likely to play the older ones for a very long time.  I played Star Wars Galaxies for years.  I just see the subscription as a monthly payment I'm making for an entertainment service that I hope to be enjoying long term.  I don't think about the payment again until I am completely done with the game in question.

I also look at it this way; if I was to go buy enough single player games to entertain me as long as an MMO does (even a crappy thempark from today),  I would be spending hundreds of dollars per month.  That and the cost of a single two hour movie and some snacks at a theater can cost as much or more than a $15 sub fee.

Too each their own though, I suppose.  

Call me contrary but I would probably call the TSW setting Cthulhu-Punk rather than modern day. The inhabitants seem rather well-adapted to events, a church comes with pre-existing wards and scrap metal merchants tinker with giant robots.

A true modern-day setting would be more "28 Days Later" rather than "Neverwhere".

Call me contrary but I would probably call the TSW setting Cthulhu-Punk rather than modern day. The inhabitants seem rather well-adapted to events, a church comes with pre-existing wards and scrap metal merchants tinker with giant robots.

A true modern-day setting would be more "28 Days Later" rather than "Neverwhere".

That's because Funcom wasn't really able to create their vision properly.  Our characters were originally supposed to be running around in secret, fighting evil (and each other), while the rest of the world moves on completely oblivious (or as oblivious as possible).  That's why the name of the game is The Secret World.   However, they clearly haven't done a good job of making the game feel that way.  You can see they tried for an 'underground' feel in some ways, but it falls short.

For example, Kingsmouth was supposed to just be an isolated incident that the rest of the world didn't know about because the town was cut off from the outside world. 

Yeah, this one is strange but I suppose can be explained by "anima infused bullets" -- definitely "magic."  The assault rifle of healing, lol.  :)

Think you hit on something there -- I've always scratched my head when people say they finish a game in 1 week, but it's that trying-to-get-it done-before-the-sub-runs-out mentality.  I suppose another good reason to go to a B2P model.  Interesting conversation -- do subs promote rushing?