Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot 2.... It is time

I was just wandering around Facebook in boredom and I happened upon someone I used to hang out with a few years back.  I saw that he had a picture of his character on DAoC to one side and my character was front and center.  WOW, that brought back some memories! 

I remember 3-faction RVR, everyone trying to get control of Darkness Falls so they could exterminate the other two factions and then farm the place, and epic seige-style battles when we knew we were losing the keep but we would take as many as we could with us before we died.  And what other game has so many reactive and complex combat combos anymore?  God, those were some fun times.

Unfortunately, the game isn't the same as it was back in the day.  There is just no way to go back and relive those great memories.... unless they finally made DAoC 2.  Who's balls do we have to twist to get updated graphics, a new UI, and some player-suggested tweaks to bring the game up to date?  (Casters that can still cast in combat for one thing.)

LONG LIVE HIBERNIA!  Hell, long live Albion and Midgard as well.  I loved to hate them.

Edit:  I also think DAoC was one of the few MMOs that got the PVP right.  You quested in your home zones and went to the frontier to PVP or quest with high danger and high reward.  No getting ganked while you quest unless you chose to risk it.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

Just my personal opinion, and it might not be realistic, but:

DAOC 2 would save the MMO industry.

The original is/was quite literally one of the greatest video games of all time. The successor of the game (if done right) would be a resounding sucess. So hell yes, OP.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

They would completely screw it up to trying to cater to todays market rather than those gamers that supported it back then.

You would likely only see two factions, less than half the classes and instances out the ying yang. I have a hard time seeing any developer doing a triple A version of old DAoC without catering to the WoW instant gratification crowd. That's the sad truth of it all

I would love to be proven wrong but I wouldn't put money on it

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Elder Scrolls Online is likely the closest you are going to get any time soon.

But, like you said, "There is just no way to go back and relive those great memories...."

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    maybe the developer remember how everyone quit on them so they dont' want to bother making doac 2.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I'd love to see a DAoC 2 but who's going to stump up the kind of money they would need to produce a high calibre MMO that would draw in the crowds?

Mythic got it right the first time with the 3 faction system and I always thought it a shame they couldn't keep the game up there with the competition, it just kinda faded away and is usually just mentioned once in awhile with fond memories and the odd "What if" post.

Perhaps a crowd funding project would be the answer here to get the ball rolling, if the money was there in the first place the willingness to create it could follow.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

ahem, Uthgard

google it

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

the community has changed for the worse....they would cater to those kids that want everything handed on a golden plate in order to generate money and therefore ruin a good game.

Daoc2 sounds nice, but I wouldn't be overly too excited IF they announce it.

Sometimes it's better to leave the past as it was.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I think there may be some rose-tinted glasses worn on the faces of posters in this thread. 

I never played DAOC (until way after it's prime) and while I believe it was good (based on what many of you claim), do you really think it's concept would stand out today? Isn't it basically a PVP zone with a raid dungeon to win and hold, so you can farm it? Not a very fresh idea in this day and age, you must admit.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by AwDiddums
    I'd love to see a DAoC 2 but who's going to stump up the kind of money they would need to produce a high calibre MMO that would draw in the crowds?Mythic got it right the first time with the 3 faction system and I always thought it a shame they couldn't keep the game up there with the competition, it just kinda faded away and is usually just mentioned once in awhile with fond memories and the odd "What if" post.Perhaps a crowd funding project would be the answer here to get the ball rolling, if the money was there in the first place the willingness to create it could follow. 

If they would make $7-10 Million on a kickstarter, they sure would find a publisher or a privat investor. The thing about Daoc was not only the 3 faction pvp, it was also the different theam to each realm. There where so many different classes that made the game so interesting.

I was a die hard Midgard Troll, but some times I whent to a different realm like Albion and it felt like a differnt game. Different landscape different mobs and it was completly different how the group play felt with all those different classes.

I wish they would take a new engine reskin the whole game, keep the position based combat! Think this would be my MMO home for a other 7 years!

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    You should totally google "Uthgard" like totally anyone that loves DAOC should.
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by dimnikar

I never played DAOC (until way after it's prime) and while I believe it was good (based on what many of you claim), do you really think it's concept would stand out today? Isn't it basically a PVP zone with a raid dungeon to win and hold, so you can farm it?

no is not.

1. Horizontal progression at endgame (with active RAs) / Champion levels / Master Levels, half of it purely pvp based;
    2. Relic system;
    3. Keep invasion -> teleport system with linked keeps
    4. RvR Dungeons with encounters, always open and not instanced
    5. RvR Dungeon 15->50 with locked entrance
    6. Proper siege system and player managed upgrades
    7. Not instanced "battlegrounds" for not-endgame rvr
    On top of this:
    1. complex craft and itemization, with craft being actually useful and required at endgame;
    2. Almost no istancing at all (save for very one-time few quests) for all that matters;
    3. Hard interrupt / positionals / reactive styles
    4. Hardcore trinity: tanks are tanks, supports deal no dmg, dps are squishy like a soap-bubble;
    There's more, but just for these reason a graphic overhaul alone (along with a b2p freemium model) would be great and would stand out as there's no game released or about to be released that has all the above.

So Yeah, the concept would stand out today for sure.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Izik

The original is/was quite literally one of the greatest video games of all time. The successor of the game (if done right) would be a resounding sucess. So hell yes, OP.

I kinda doubt that but it would be a good addition to the genre if they made it right.

To save the genre you need several different and new thinking games (or a new Wow), not a sequal to a good but not so huge game. And I think the genre actually will take off again soon, the devs seems to finally have figured out that just copying Wow aint enough but it will be game like WoDO and Class 4 or similar that really saves the genre.

Dont get me wrong, I want a DaoC 2, a AC3 and EQ3 but sequals aint enough to save a genre, at best will they keep the interest and bring back some old people. That is still good but not enough to once again start bringing in loads of new players in the genre.

Of course if you by saving the genre means rebooting it to what it was around 1999 then you might be right.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by samvenice
    Originally posted by dimnikar

I never played DAOC (until way after it's prime) and while I believe it was good (based on what many of you claim), do you really think it's concept would stand out today? Isn't it basically a PVP zone with a raid dungeon to win and hold, so you can farm it?

no is not.

1. Horizontal progression at endgame (with active RAs) / Champion levels / Master Levels, half of it purely pvp based;
    2. Relic system;
    3. Keep invasion -> teleport system with linked keeps
    4. RvR Dungeons with encounters, always open and not instanced
    5. RvR Dungeon 15->50 with locked entrance
    6. Proper siege system and player managed upgrades
    7. Not instanced "battlegrounds" for not-endgame rvr
    On top of this:
    1. complex craft and itemization, with craft being actually useful and required at endgame;
    2. Almost no istancing at all (save for very one-time few quests) for all that matters;
    3. Hard interrupt / positionals / reactive styles
    4. Hardcore trinity: tanks are tanks, supports deal no dmg, dps are squishy like a soap-bubble;
    There's more, but just for these reason a graphic overhaul alone (along with a b2p freemium model) would be great and would stand out as there's no game released or about to be released that has all the above.

So Yeah, the concept would stand out today for sure.

Take the original game up to TOA and convert it to a new engine so we get better graphics but also better network coding etc.

Unfortunately EA now owns the game.  If EA makes DAoC2 it will feature mirrored classes and instanced battlegrounds like Ilum.   This is one time I would be happy to be wrong, but I doubt it.   I do know that Mark Jacobs is teasing his new game and the tease hints at 3 way RvR.  We will see though.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'm beginning to think that DaoC wasn't even half as good as the fans say it was. None of the versions of RvR I've seen haven't been all that impressive. And I don't see any way how DaoC would've made it "so much better" either.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Starpower

They would completely screw it up to trying to cater to todays market rather than those gamers that supported it back then.

You would likely only see two factions, less than half the classes and instances out the ying yang. I have a hard time seeing any developer doing a triple A version of old DAoC without catering to the WoW instant gratification crowd. That's the sad truth of it all

I would love to be proven wrong but I wouldn't put money on it

This.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I'm sure it will "save" the genre as much as GW2 did... All of the good concepts of DAOC were already taken by newer games such as WAR, DF, WOW etc. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Quir
    Except for possibly planetside, all the verions of "rvr" you've seen in other games - war, aion, gw2 etc.. have undergone a processes of "wowification"
  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I too have fond memories of DAOC but to be 100% honest. it was great because it was new. the Featers you see in the game are used in others. but we don't like them because its all played out. Memories are great but that's all they are, Fond Memories.

If they were to do it, I'm a 100% sure most people would hate it.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

DAoC 2 "could" save the MMO Industry, but that is dependant on how the game is done.  If it is just a rehash of the old game, or heck, a game similar to WoW; it won't save anything.

Don't get me wrong, DAoC was awesome.  I played it for some time (Long live Midgard btw).  However, the type of gamer that played it when it was released isn't the same gamer that plays MMOs now.

My personal opinion is that character advancement must be sound and fun, IE, not talent tree; or at least, not the talent trees of WoW and SWTOR.  I'm a huge fan of real choice.  Games like DDO, SWG, and TSW come to mind.  Now granted, people will stll gravitate to certain "builds" if you give them choice, but the option is still there.  Talent tree's offer very little option, especially when they continue to be dumbed down.

Combat, IMHO, must be action.  Not stand there, hit a few keys, kill mob, loot.  That gets boring.  It's been done time and time again.  Action RPG isn't done enough.  Bounce around, dodge mobs, use terrain and elevation, and be re-active to what is going on.  Now THAT is fun.

Forgive my tirade.  Back on topic.  DAoC 2 would be a nice addition to the MMO market, if and I strees IF the following conditions are met.

• RvR (4 factions would be awesome!) remains intact, if not, improved on
    • Character advancement is fun, not talent trees, and offers choices for your character.  In additional, secondary advancement.  (Example:  Alternate Advancement Points from EQ/EQ2)
    • Player Housing and Guild Housing needs to be in from day one, with the ability to siege the guild housing.  Guild Housing could be in the form of castles/strongholds which assist your Realm in the war
    • Crafting should be fun.  Personally, I find GW2 crafting to be enjoyeable
    • Less Themepark, more Sandbox.  More dynamic content and puzzles!
    • Real Balance:  Basically, all sides get looked at an balanced.  DAoC can't afford another Albion OP, and Midgard "bleh" (Shadowblades were crappy as hell when the game was first released and were for some time)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I always mention DAOC as the best game I have played and I have played them all. But like some already have said in this thread - you remember the good parts and forget the bad.

The bad

The expansions - destroyed the fun for me. Not because I hate to pay to get new content because I buy everything, but to sell those expansions they put in some classes and some items that were ridicolous. And that made the pvp unbalanced and extremely boring.

Buffbots - They didn't have any range on the buffs so you could spec your cleric/druid/shaman for the best buffs. Buff your players and then put the buffer in the portalkeep where no one could hurt them. So to be able to compete you had to have a buffbot. The buffs made the hero impossible to beat unless you had the same buffs yourself.

The good

When I try to expain to others what made DAOC so good I simply can't. It was a special feeling but not sure why. Maybe because it was the first game I played with that kind of rvr/pvp?

- Good enemies were legends. I remember when I saw killspam from some enemies and you knew they were close your heart started to beat faster. Killspam in the chatbox was interesting.

- Good heroes on our side were special as well. Not sure why. Maybe because there were no general chat. So when you got invited to their groups/raids you really wanted to act good.

- Darkness falls. Three factions fought to get this and it was actually good to have. You needed the money, you got seals etc that helped for crafting. The battles in there when one factions had it and it opened up for another faction were epic. And when some stealthers were tearing up your friends in the newbie area in that dungeon and you killed them you became a hero.

- Classes. Lots of interesting classes in all three factions.

- Rewards! You didn't have to get points and stuff for everything you did. For an example - taking an empty keep didn't give you anything. But you knew the enemies would come and killing the enemies gave points. In Warhammer you got points for everything so instead of fighting eachother like in DAOC the armies avoided eachother to get points taking empty keeps. We had fights in DAOC at some wall just because people wanted action because action gave points.

- The different paths to pvp. We had no instanced pvp thank god. If people wanted pvp and get their realm abilities they had to go to the frontier. And in there you could go with the zerg taking keeps, or fighting zerg vs zerg, go with a gankgroup of eight fighting other gankgroups or much larger numbers, smallscale battles with just a few friends, fighting as a stealther at bridges and walls. It was so much fun whatever you did.

- Crafters were needed. I didn't craft but needed one when I hit 50 to get good gear and to get it spellcrafted. I remember a crafter on our server were famous just because of his crafting and nothing else.

- Realmpride! When another faction took your keep you took it back. If you lost some battles because the other factions had larger numbers you had to play it much smarter. Nowadays people just jump into a scenario/battleground when they are outnumbered which never fixes the problem.

- Realmabilities were special for every class and you wanted them so bad because they were good.

Just some of the good things about DAOC. Nowadays games give out rewards too easily and players want action when they log in (of course) and they want even numbers and that is why i don't think a DAOC 2 will be successful. Keeptaking etc is just something you can do but you don't have to. Just click a button and join a queue for some instanced pvp that you play over and over again to get your points versus even numbers. People don't want to roam a big zone in hope of finding action like in DAOC. People don't want to take a keep and wait for the enemies to come to get action.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126

I'm afraid the time has come and gone for DAoC 2.  Even at its peak, DAoC posted subscriber numbers that would be considered vastly insufficient for a major publisher like EA in a post-WoW world.  Moreover, even extremely well-known IPs have struggled in the oversaturated MMO market (SWTOR, anyone?).

What made DAoC a great game were a lot of small, ineffable things that are often overlooked in modern appraisal, and were even overlooked in its own expansions.  Realm pride.  An understated, realist art style that made your character feel like your own.  Enough classes and spec options to carve out your own niche.  Group-focused PvE gameplay.  

I think a game that wants to continue in this spirit should be an evolution thereof, not a retread of what was done.  Give me something more fluid in its blending of PvE and PvP gameplay, with less of an emphasis and the oft-decried "grind."  Better, more action oriented combat mechanics.  DAoC 2 will not likely ever see the light of day but I think if developers start taking the right things from the original, we stand to benefit from some worthy spiritual successors.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

DAoC was made in essentially an entirely different world in regards to MMOs. Mythic is absorbed into EA, and after the WAR debacle, will never be given the resources to create DAoC 2, and at this point, I highly doubt they'd have the ability to do the game justice even if it were an option for them.

WAR is as close to DAoC 2 as we are gonna get from Mythic. :(

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Just FYI:   Every "failed" mmo of late has done better than DAOC did...

I loved DAOC like many of you did, but it did not have nearly the subs that games these days are getting.

Even if they made DAOC 2 perfectly, it likely wouldn't get 10 million active subs and would be considered a failure just like all other games are.  WoW pretty much set the bar way too high and no one will likely ever reach it again.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

10 mil subs is a pipe-dream.  WoW is a fluke of the MMO Industry.  It was released at a time when people were tired of Everquest.  The Warcraft Universe has a huge, rabid, following.  Thus, it took off quickly.  Blizzard did things right in improving existing mechanics from other games, and implemented/copied others.  As well as opening up the game to people that have never played an MMO before.

Using WoW as a baseline on success is a mistake.  The real baseline people should use is this:

1. Maintain a steady stream of subscriptions and be profitable.  I believe the ideal amount from a news article I read was 1-2 mil, but no lower than 500,000.
    2. Continue releasing content
    3. No massive layoffs in the first 6-12 months of the game.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Izik

You're assuming the new game would be anything like the original.  Look at Guild Wars 2.  It's a hollow husk of a game with no soul or charm, compared to the original.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.