Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertising/Cookies ??and USER respect.

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

To start ,i decided to wonder why  MMORPG does not like adblock,when it is designed to allow REASONABLE advertising,in otherwords to be FAIR to both the user and the site.

COOKIES: ok no problem there but ONLY if used for ONLY MMORPG purposes.

So i find two intrusions...1 mmorpg= ok no problem there.

Who is this 2 = tag.crsspxl.com?It seems ok,not really tied into anything that i can see,so why is it part of the cookies?

Then i check what exact partners are being blocked here and i see one of the worst google ,not that any are good.

Google analysis How intrusive is this?I know it can be as simple as tracking what the users are doing on your site and is used to watch where most of your revenue is coming from.This software might be doing the job of monitoring for you,but what else is it doing,do you know  for sure it is not taking that information and also using it for it's own purposes and how far down the line does that go then?

DBLclick No idea why this site is tied into your tracking?Is this just the part of software or code used to tie into Viglink?

Viglink Well we know what this is.This is your links to making money as users click your advertising.Problem is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HERE

It states that if you have a monetary connection with your affiliates,you are to let the users know it.I also refer to it many times as misleading advertising.Also similar is when you praise a game when really you are just feeding the adveertiser for monetary gains.There might not be any law forcing LEGIT information outside of the links/clicks but still we all know it is the same thing when you mask advertising.Point is that sure you might feel yo uare sort of telling the truth,but when you ONLY keep praising the main advertiser and nobody else,is it really on the up n up then?

Is MMORPG on the up and up?

The amount of SPAM people get now a days is staggering and funny how every site "claims" to not share information,yet the spam continues.I am not pointing a finger at mmorpg,i am merely asking because i have always trusted this site as i am sure MANY others do as well.

The users come here with the expectations that this is a site aimed at gaming chat and information,but really it has changed into a sole hearted effort to make money and has put the legitimicay of gaming information here on the back burner.I think site opinions are MOST of the time NOT opinions anymore but simply to reinforce the advertising.

WE all know that all of these people  working on behalf of MMORPG making reviews/posts are paid,it is a form of FORCING out information that would not be a person's true feeling,just one that can make them money.

If all is good,reasonably explained, then i am HAPPY :D ,these are  concerns not just for me ,but for everyone,yes i do care about others not just myself.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Don't get too high and mighty - they need to make money too ......

Just my 2 cents...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Most of what's happening on MMORPG.com is not based on your MMORPG.com activity. It's going to be activity outside of MMORPG.com, Google or Bling searches that generate some idea of what you'd like to see in a game. Then when you get to MMORPG.com, they send those targeted ads your way. They check to see if you're clicking the links and viewing the advertisements.

I don't necessarily have an issue with this. It makes sense and could even be beneficial to me as a consumer. There are a couple of downsides though.

The advertising companies collect a lot more than the necessary information. They are collecting everything they can in an attempt to perfect their systems because they don't know what all they need and how they may be able to use it. They don't seem to have any issues with privacy invasion in this regard.

There are unintended consequences of using this information. For instance, the girl who was outed as being pregnant because of targeted advertising. What if a person is outed as being gay in a country where gays are killed on site by law*?

Advertising is one of the primary vectors for malicious scripts and roots. Turning off javascript or selectively enabling javascript for trusted sites mitigates or eliminates this threat, but it also turns off the advertising. They don't want to advertise to you if they can't run their javascript. They seem to have taken a hard line stance on this, which leads people to take hardline stances against advertising in general or to do things like block advertising servers through a router rather than let them send you cookies and images.

* This, believe it or not, now exists.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

If you'd really like a shock, install Do Not Track Me.

It currently shows 11 trackers on this page alone. Most websites have 3-4 trackers.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    This place has more companies tracking me, 10, then the "adult" site I just visited, with 2.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.